• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport PSX 2016 Trailer

plidex

There is no market. GT is on a oneway trip to the racing game scrapyard if they're still on the same road.

Yoshida should have fired Kaz on the spot when he said he wanted GT to be the future of motorsport. He's completely lost it.

GT6 was pretty popular online, I played online only for months.

Considering this game will be online focused, it means more people will be racing online.

I use the career mode only for grinding money anyway, so I don't care that much about it. I did enjoy the licenses tests and special events.

I still see GT Sport as a "Prologue"-substitute with the low car and track count and as it's not "the real GT7" (yes, I know Kaz has said that GTS is basically GT7, but he talks a lot of half-true non-committal stuff), I think PD should be allowed to try out stuff like a one-off iRacing-GT game that is laser focused on driving against other humans according to real world racing rules.
It could be a disaster, but who cares(!), it was just a "prologue" anyway and we'll get the normal GT7 in 2-3 years. But what if it's completely addictive and gets more and more people sucked in with positive word of mouth, because it's something very different from other games and very hard but extremely rewarding to master. Maybe then they could even build this into a proper GT7 over time - "games as a service"-style - and have a steady cash-flow while also helping Sony to keep people paying their online fee month after month (I cancelled this month and GTS currently is the only game that might have me sign-up again).

Or if the game is a success, they can scale up their team and have both concepts in the pipeline at the same time.
If they wanted to size up their team, I doubt that "success" and "money" is the problem. They haven't figured out how to "mass produce" cars and tracks in parallel the way Turn 10 does. But if that means that the content they have isn't just "type in wheelbase, spring and spring values" for a new 3D model with copy and paste engine sound, but actual detail work that is unique to some cars like most of the PC sims try to (especially iRacing and Assetto Corsa), that's a good thing. Quality over quantity for me please.

I still see GT Sport as a "Prologue"-substitute with the low car and track count and as it's not "the real GT7" (yes, I know Kaz has said that GTS is basically GT7, but he talks a lot of half-true non-committal stuff), I think PD should be allowed to try out stuff like a one-off iRacing-GT game that is laser focused on driving against other humans according to real world racing ruled.
It could be a disaster, but who cares(!), it was just a "prologue" anyway and we'll get the normal GT7 in 2-3 years. But what if it's completely addictive and gets more and more people sucked in with positive word of mouth, because it's something very different from other games and very hard but extremely rewarding to master. Maybe then they could even build this into a proper GT7 over time - "games as a service"-style - and have a steady cash-flow while also helping Sony to keep people paying their online fee month after month (I cancelled this month and GTS currently is the only game that might have me sign-up again).

Or if the game is a success, they can scale up their team and have both concepts in the pipeline at the same time.

eso76

Shit. Looks amazing and the framerate seems solid, the cars sound great too!

Now just announce a career mode...

Eh, if you look closer the second track shown in the video has SEVERAL instances where the game drops to 30fps.

But it does look great and even the engine sounds are convincing here.

Now, just announce a release date (that's not one year away, maybe)

Mascot

Eh, if you look closer the second track shown in the video has SEVERAL instances where the game drops to 30fps.

Ooh. I didn't notice that. WiP and all that but assuming it's also running on a Pro then it is cause for minor concern.

What did make me puke blood though was seeing silly fantasy concepts sharing the same track with real-life GT cars. Kaz can shove that type of shit right up his ass and snap it off at the hilt.

Ooh. I didn't notice that. WiP and all that but assuming it's also running on a Pro then it is cause for minor concern.

If the non-Pro version looks uglier... whatever.
But if it stutters mid-corner in a game with focus on competitive multiplayer that is trying to be big in eSports...? I don't think they could get away with that.

c0de

If the non-Pro version looks uglier... whatever.
But if it stutters mid-corner in a game with focus on competitive multiplayer that is trying to be big in eSports...? I don't think they could get away with that.

You have to wonder how the psvr version will look as it has to be locked 60 fps.

Nice footage.

Sigh, this needs to come out already., finished or not.

I'm against expansion packs, and DLC fragmentation, and very pro buying complete experiences, but... I just can't hold out.

They need to release it, package/market it as 'GT as a service' and just keep improving it for the rest of the PS4's life-cycle maybe with 1 or 2 premium paid expansions. They can keep selling the base game for a good price years later like Grand Theft Auto 5 still seems to always be in the charts.

The alternative is not actually seeing it release until 2018 or 19. Then they go to work on a sequel which is 'what the game should have been' that we don't actually see on PS4 until the PS5 is just about out. Please not again.

I hope this reasoning is why they called it GT Sport and not 7.

If GTS doesn't have a fully featured track and car list with a robust amount of online and offline events (essentially, GTS needs to be GT7) then Sony needs to fire Kaz and restructure the entire studio (or hand the franchise to someone else).

No "prologue".

RefigeKru

Banned
Pretty much nothing happens in forza or Driveclub either so not missing the point at all sorry. Do you play any of these games or u just moaning for the sake of it?

It's amazing how ppl bitch about this so much without realizing every game is terrible on the damage simulation front like the post earlier said it's simply not going to be accurate at all in the first place and will have zero place in online racing too

No, something happens in those games. Something, not much, but something.

I was playing the Division earlier and noticed that the cars have damage models when you shoot them in certain places, bumper, window, tires etc..

An open world shooter has damage modelling on the cars and GT doesn't -- and you can't even drive cars in the Division! No one can. They need damage.

No, something happens in those games. Something, not much, but something.

I was playing the Division earlier and noticed that the cars have damage models when you shoot them in certain places, bumper, window, tires etc..

An open world shooter has damage modelling on the cars and GT doesn't -- and you can't even drive cars in the Division! No one can. They need damage.
I've never understood the obsession with visual damage modelling in a proper racing game: if you're going for realism, then most damage would result in a DNF. If you just want to watch a car with a smashed in bonnet drive around, then you're better off buying a game like Grand Theft Auto. If you're racing properly then collisions should (hopefully) be a rare thing. Personally I consider many of these cars to be works of art, and it pains me to see them sporting visual damage of any kind.

Collision physics I understand, since it can affect racing in a material way.

Mascot

I've never understood the obsession with visual damage modelling in a proper racing game: if you're going for realism, then most damage would result in a DNF. If you just want to watch a car with a smashed in bonnet drive around, then you're better off buying a game like Grand Theft Auto. If you're racing properly then collisions should (hopefully) be a rare thing. Personally I consider many of these cars to be works of art, and it pains me to see them sporting visual damage of any kind.

Collision physics I understand, since it can affect racing in a material way.

But there's something intangibly awesome about a rear bumper half hanging off and flapping in the breeze.

sourc3d

But there's something intangibly awesome about a rear bumper half hanging off and flapping in the breeze.

Or detaching completely and flying towards your windshield as it rides over a bump, that sort of unscripted moment never gets old.

On that subject the only thing I hate in the current damage modelling of most racers is windscreen damage, cracks always look shonky, or affect your view of the road ahead detrimentally, they could probably leave that bit out.

Burny

Simply put: Not modelling damage renders the corner or error case scenario of a crash totally unconvincing. You can create the most faithful driving simulation ever, only to lose the immersion factor entirely, when you run into a wall with 100km/h and your precious vehicle does not have so much as a scratch. Nothing says so much "you're playing a game", as getting to continue after messing up in such a way, instead of seeing your vehicle crumble.

Even if the visual damage model is subdued, due to not having the necessary ressources for computing an expanded damage mode, vehicle manufacturers only selling licenses under the condition that their precious products are not displayed in too much of a pitiful state or not wanting to render the driver being killed in the more extreme cases, some form of damange representation goes a long way. Anything from affected handling to having to end the race due to destroyed axes/engines/lost wheels etc. should be in for something that has racing sim aspirations today.

You can create the most faithful driving simulation ever, only to lose the immersion factor entirely, when you run into a wall with 100km/h and your precious vehicle does not have so much as a scratch.
The screen needs to just fade to black at that point, with the letters DNF appearing. Or for bigger accidents:

latest

Yiazmat

So, Eurogamer is now saying that Gran Turismo has the exclusive rights to Pikes Peak, and that's why it's not in Dirt 4.

Gone are the legendary real-life stages that propped up so much of Dirt Rally - there's no Col de Turini here, no Pike's Peak or Sweet Lamb - and in their place is something very different.

It's a move made through circumstance as much as it is through choice - Gran Turismo now has sole rights to Pike's Peak, while WRC tracks look like increasingly becoming the domain of the official games - but after some initial reservations I'm finding myself onboard.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...re-evidence-that-codemasters-is-back-on-track

So, Eurogamer is now saying that Gran Turismo has the exclusive rights to Pikes Peak, and that's why it's not in Dirt 4.
With Dirt 4's focus on procedural generation of tracks, the game should be totally fine without a Pikes Peak. And I'm happy to see a probably very lovingly recreated version in GT Sport (hope it's not the 100% tarmac version alone).

Doesn't change that exclusivity always sucks. Imagine they'd do that with more tracks that aren't in every game out there yet. Really hope this doesn't become a trend. Was really happy that Porsche and Ferrari exclusivity are things of the past.

Yiazmat

Another trash fake car is coming: The Emerson Fittipaldi Vision GT (seriously?)

The mind of iconic driver @emersonfittipaldioficial, the delicate craftsmanship of Pininfarina and the flawless engineering by HWA together have created a modern masterpiece, the Fittipaldi #EF7 Vision Gran Turismo by Pininfarina. World debut on March 7th at the Geneva International Motor Show, Pininfarina stand
EDm4Oh0.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/pininfarina_official/
http://www.pininfarina.com/it/fittipaldi_ef7_vision_gran_turismo_by_pininfarina/

benzy

I remember how excited I was when I heard that GT5 'had the NASCAR and WRC licences.' What an epic letdown that was :(

Why would they bother going for exclusivity on something like Pike's Peak? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Pretty much nothing happens in forza or Driveclub either so not missing the point at all sorry. Do you play any of these games or u just moaning for the sake of it?

It's amazing how ppl bitch about this so much without realizing every game is terrible on the damage simulation front like the post earlier said it's simply not going to be accurate at all in the first place and will have zero place in online racing too
I don't think the argument is that creating a damage model will improve the game immensely. Rather that the complete lack of an attempt causes some big cognitive dissonance.

In most gamers minds they relate 100mph crash = damage. Realistically it would be a total wreck but it's easy to have some suspension of disbelief. When there is zero damage at all, you don't even get to do that much.

Or more simply put, some damage and impact physics = bare minimum. No damage or impact physics = not meeting the bare minimum

So this GTP insider is legit, this is the small news, there will be some big news before the weekend which is very likely a release date.

Top Bottom