• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport PSX 2016 Trailer

cooldawn

What trick other than gimping your car? With GT Sport that won't even be possible with no tuning options ��
In Arcade Mode select your race options but put on more sticky tyres. After the game loads the AI will be comparable to the level you selected, then put on the less sticky tyre you wanted to use in the first place. There's you faster AI.

Obviously you can go extreme...I mean I've manipulated the AI so I could never catch 2nd place. The leaders were just too fast...but it was fun trying.

I'm pretty sure that's the case. There's no point in not having dynamic time of day otherwise.
It really doesn't look 'pre-baked' though and Willow Springs jumps from 09:10 to 18:40.

What would be the point of being able to select sessions with a 10 minute difference and not representing normal daylight hours. It can't be pre-baked...or they aren't showing anything like the amount of options.

My bet is that there is a slider to pre-load the time-of-day along with weather and the system just does it to static time lapse.

nasanu

Banned
Have you sat on many interview panels? A resume is great, but an actual portfolio is always better, and in the case of this guy, he legitimately can point to the best work in the industry as being his work. The proof has already been posted in this thread.

So why would he not be considered appointable? It's clearly not his abilities or technical capacity. Not a team player? Hard to judge that in an interview. Interviewed poorly? Not uncommon in technical roles in my personal experience - this is where a portfolio counts for so much. Unwilling to relocate? Unable to speak Japanese? Asking for too much money? Those are all things that PD could have worked out if they wanted him badly - and they needed him badly. But they didn't work those things out. And the audio is still terrible.

And what was his actual work in past games? What techniques, SDKs or libraries did he use? Maybe he is a gun with FMOD but doesn't know crap about whatever PD are using? You simply DO NOT KNOW why PD didn't hire him, yet post like you DO know and the reason was stupid. He could well be like the "SEO expert" my boss hired. What he is an expert at is using a wordpress plugin, take that away and he is totally lost. Who knows... Not you.

Is it?

It looks like the shot is taken in motion, that's why I thought it was an actual track. Brb rewatching trailer.
Yes that's one of the options in Scapes. It's like the car is really moving!
Another photo like that (I like the reflection of lights on the road!):

y8salR.jpg

And what was his actual work in past games? What techniques, SDKs or libraries did he use? Maybe he is a gun with FMOD but doesn't know crap about whatever PD are using? You simply DO NOT KNOW why PD didn't hire him, yet post like you DO know and the reason was stupid. He could well be like the "SEO expert" my boss hired. What he is an expert at is using a wordpress plugin, take that away and he is totally lost. Who knows... Not you.
If PD were serious about overhauling the audio - as they always claim to be in the build up to the release of a new title - they would've assessed, as we who play their games do, that whatever audio techniques they were using were no longer competitive (to put it kindly). In that situation, why would you go into the interview process thinking "I hope this person can do audio the way we do audio," when the way you do audio isn't working?

Surely any rational person would go into that process thinking "I wonder what this person does differently to us, because it's working, and that's what we want for our game."

jett

D-Member
In Arcade Mode select your race options but put on more sticky tyres. After the game loads the AI will be comparable to the level you selected, then put on the less sticky tyre you wanted to use in the first place. There's you faster AI.

Obviously you can go extreme...I mean I've manipulated the AI so I could never catch 2nd place. The leaders were just too fast...but it was fun trying.

It really doesn't look 'pre-baked' though and Willow Springs jumps from 09:10 to 18:40.

What would be the point of being able to select sessions with a 10 minute difference and not representing normal daylight hours. It can't be pre-baked...or they aren't showing anything like the amount of options.

My bet is that there is a slider to pre-load the time-of-day along with weather and the system just does it to static time lapse.

I also thought that was curious, but the position of the sun (and the different cloud formations) makes the track look different enough.

Putty

The M4 footage highlights just how utterly intoxicating the driving is...Lovely skills by the driver...

Ok...nice, finally starting to see what you guys are talking about with the sounds. It's like the tire squeeling is on a higher volume level than the car, even sometimes in the in-car angle. And of course, they don't have the nuances of the road, click when shifting gears and overall boom of the engine/throttle like that video posted above does.

I can see how that would be a more exhilarating experience if they can get the sounds closer to the real life counterparts, especially if you are actually good at driving and getting a wheel and all that stuff.

To the casual player, I doubt they mind that much, and will likely have the most fun winning a few races, collecting cars especially cars they own/familiar with, and using the photo mode options.

Still, this seems like a SFV situation, you have to satisfy the hardcore and casual audience. With the delay, I'm hoping they deliver.

bud

while the engine sounds are definitely improved when in a race, they still sound like the same old garbage during replays.

this just can't be the case when a developer has practically unlimited time and money.

i don't get why it's so difficult for them to get it right.

cooldawn

I also thought that was curious, but the position of the sun (and the different cloud formations) makes the track look different enough.
Yeah...but it's still lame.

This video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PQDD2uVJNw - shows other options on the Nordschleife i.e. no slider. I'm not sure what's going on...if they are going to add a slider to work it out pre-race or to expand on these options, as if it were an event demo version, for the final game.

I mean no night racing, at all? We know we can race during the night around the fictitious oval circuit. The Nordschleife without a night option? It's just too ridiculous to contemplate that.

I hope it all comes together on release and we get the full run-down soon.

nasanu

Banned
If PD were serious about overhauling the audio - as they always claim to be in the build up to the release of a new title - they would've assessed, as we who play their games do, that whatever audio techniques they were using were no longer competitive (to put it kindly). In that situation, why would you go into the interview process thinking "I hope this person can do audio the way we do audio," when the way you do audio isn't working?

Surely any rational person would go into that process thinking "I wonder what this person does differently to us, because it's working, and that's what we want for our game."

Again you are speaking from a position of ignorance. How do you know things needed to be totally different? I made a Unity game, it was a horrible pos with terrible graphics that still need a highend PC to run at 60fps. Does that mean you can't not make a vastly better performing game in Unity? Hell no. Or maybe to do things that guys way would require a massive rewrite of the entire engine?.. Again who knows.

Why I do I need to keep repeating that you don't know and the fact that not knowing means you don't know, not that you do know. You don't know == you don't know... It does not mean you are an expert on it. Got it?

M52B28

Banned
There's this too (full lap of the 'ring in an M4 by somebody who knows what they're doing):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PQDD2uVJNw

The M4 footage highlights just how utterly intoxicating the driving is...Lovely skills by the driver...
Well, after looking at his channel:

Darwin Albano

GT Academy USA Silverstone Finalist

A good driver like that is one you want to race against online. Makes online racing an absolute blast.

I have a hard time believing this for a studio that's famed for obsessing over every detail and having a love of cars in general. But at the same time I can't think of another reason.
Some potential reasons that occur to me:
  • Their sound guy/s are not up to scratch;
  • They haven't invested enough (either manpower or budget) in their sound department;
  • They've failed to adapt to changing industry practices;
  • They deliberately (and repeatedly) decided to sacrifice audio quality in order to maximise the resources available to the graphics engine.

The "guy/s" bit was tongue in cheek :p

nasanu

Banned
A lot of this argument is disingenuous anyway. There are major improvements in sound, there just needs to be more and there will be. They started these improvements with GT6, the DLC senna cars sounded quite good. The issue they ran into is that they memory just wasn't available for further improvements, the graphics engine was eating it.

The elements are coming together in GTS, they have the cylinder beat, turbo and supercharger sounds, and the exhaust is mostly there. Now they need things like transmission whine and different mixing. Trying to claim no improvement is ridiculous. Those direct feed replays sounds really good in terms of spacial effects (listen on a good system and not a laptop or phone). Plus many people have unrealistic ideas of what many cars sound like. Modern LeMans prototypes for instance are super quiet and frankly sound crap, if games made their sound realistic you guys would complain endlessly.

Makki

A lot of this argument is disingenuous anyway. There are major improvements in sound, there just needs to be more and there will be. They started these improvements with GT6, the DLC senna cars sounded quite good. The issue they ran into is that they memory just wasn't available for further improvements, the graphics engine was eating it.

The elements are coming together in GTS, they have the cylinder beat, turbo and supercharger sounds, and the exhaust is mostly there. Now they need things like transmission whine and different mixing. Trying to claim no improvement is ridiculous. Those direct feed replays sounds really good in terms of spacial effects (listen on a good system and not a laptop or phone). Plus many people have unrealistic ideas of what many cars sound like. Modern LeMans prototypes for instance are super quiet and frankly sound crap, if games made their sound realistic you guys would complain endlessly.

Dont take the comments in these threads to heart. Here we have an amazing looking game, giving a great sense of speed and seriously good looking vehicle detail and dynamic feel that approach unrivaled life-like levels, yet comments like a "side road doesnt have lightmaps", "the rear view mirror images are not detailed enough", or "the sound is not like an M4 because here's my proof of real sound recorded with a shitty gopro mic" happen, and almost always fill every racing game thread with negativity because there's always another game that does a specific thing better that the user prefers.

I have a hard time believing this for a studio that's famed for obsessing over every detail and having a love of cars in general. But at the same time I can't think of another reason.

Company culture is largely set when a company is created. Despite Kaz's dream of making the most realistic driving simulator with each entry in the series, there may be a large amount of inertia preventing the company from making needed changes.

I'd add that we see this trait in a lot of Japanese companies.

A lot of this argument is disingenuous anyway. There are major improvements in sound, there just needs to be more and there will be.
I admire your optimism but don't share it: sound has been an issue in GT games since 2004, where it was one of the biggest criticisms of GT4.

Trying to claim no improvement is ridiculous.
I agree. The problem is little to no improvement relative to the competition, which is a concern when you're bringing up the rear.

Those direct feed replays sounds really good in terms of spacial effects (listen on a good system and not a laptop or phone). Plus many people have unrealistic ideas of what many cars sound like. Modern LeMans prototypes for instance are super quiet and frankly sound crap, if games made their sound realistic you guys would complain endlessly.
To me, the audio on the replays is probably where GTS's audio is at its weakest in comparison to RRE for example, which nails that aspect. With cockpit audio, for example, at least you could argue that PD is trying to model what the audio would be like if you were wearing earplugs, under a Nomex hood, inside a racing helmet - I say that semi-facetiously :) - but what you hear at a racetrack is something very special, and GTS isn't even coming close to delivering it at the moment.

Personally, accurate sound is all I'm looking for and I'll be overjoyed if PD ever deliver it. I want my cynicism to be proven wrong: I would like nothing more than to eat crow on this, and that's the way I've felt for more than a decade now.

hope

Banned
First Post Guys.Hello All.

The wait for this game is so painful. Atleast release a Demo PD for gods sake.Looks Boombastic.

First Post Guys.Hello All.

The wait for this game is so painful. Atleast release a Demo PD for gods sake.Looks Boombastic.

No way they'll release a demo. Maybe a GT academy thing you mean? Either way the game is shaping up nicely and there's still so much more to learn about (track list, car list, customisation options, campaign, weather).

Mascot

Christ, the vanilla PS4 version of this is going to be a shit-show, isn't it? I can see it running reasonably well on PS Pro but completely unoptimised for PS4.

Christ, the vanilla PS4 version of this is going to be a shit-show, isn't it? I can see it running reasonably well on PS Pro but completely unoptimised for PS4.

Would be bonkers to do that, I'm thinking maybe dynamic resolution to keep the framerate stable though.

Still needs to hurry up and release, as much as I like other games, there is something about GT that just seems right. (it's not the release time frame!)

jett

D-Member
Yeah...but it's still lame.

This video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PQDD2uVJNw - shows other options on the Nordschleife i.e. no slider. I'm not sure what's going on...if they are going to add a slider to work it out pre-race or to expand on these options, as if it were an event demo version, for the final game.

I mean no night racing, at all? We know we can race during the night around the fictitious oval circuit. The Nordschleife without a night option? It's just too ridiculous to contemplate that.

I hope it all comes together on release and we get the full run-down soon.

I think that video is as clear as anything can be. You're not getting a slider, you're getting predetermined time-of-day settings. I'm almost sure this has confirmed by PD/Kaz in fact, but I'm not 100%.

Would be bonkers to do that, I'm thinking maybe dynamic resolution to keep the framerate stable though.

Still needs to hurry up and release, as much as I like other games, there is something about GT that just seems right. (it's not the release time frame!)
It's PD, so it will be 1080p (or even higher! lol) on standard PS4 with frame drops.

It might seem shallow but the deal breaker in all these simple games to me has always been if the replays are 60 FPS or not.

I love watching 60 FPS replays.

paskowitz

Yes that's one of the options in Scapes. It's like the car is really moving!
Another photo like that (I like the reflection of lights on the road!):

y8salR.jpg

Without those lights reflecting on the road (which is absent in gameplay/replays) this shot would be broken. IMO the loss of dynamic lighting is really going to hurt GT Sport.

I understand the HDR, plus more color depth, plus 4K, plus VR, plus dynamic lighting would probably break the PS4/PS4 Pro in half, but IMO its 4 steps forward, 5 steps back.

Wow that m4 footage looks absolutely amazing.
Makes me remember the amazing days of gt5 and gt6 with nurburgring only free run lobby's with day night and weather on.
By far my best time online ever. No other race game gave me that feeling like gt5/6 gave me.
Yes it has flaws but at its best it was really on a league of its own.
Hmm maybe plugging the ps3 back in and do a run on nordschleife with wheel.
Anywho I'm really looking forward to release of gt sport.

I have an x1 with fm5/6 horizon 2/3 and an x360 with fm2/4 horizon. And an oh Xbox with fm1, and enjoyed them all but somehow none of them could ever give the feeling I have with an gt game.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Wow that m4 footage looks absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah it looks pretty good.

cooldawn

I think that video is as clear as anything can be. You're not getting a slider, you're getting predetermined time-of-day settings. I'm almost sure this has confirmed by PD/Kaz in fact, but I'm not 100%.
Why have different options at these events and on the web-site? The video also doesn't have any markers to indicate there's more either side of the screen, either.

None of this makes sense.

There's either a load more options we don't see in the builds at events or, for some odd reason, Polyphony decide to show 10 minute intervals but don't include it in the game. Again, Nordschleife at night? Surely that must be in the game, indicating there's more outside of the video we don't see.

I know Kaz said you can select when you race but it won't be dynamic. I don't remember him saying how it works, though.

Without those lights reflecting on the road (which is absent in gameplay/replays) this shot would be broken. IMO the loss of dynamic lighting is really going to hurt GT Sport.

I understand the HDR, plus more color depth, plus 4K, plus VR, plus dynamic lighting would probably break the PS4/PS4 Pro in half, but IMO its 4 steps forward, 5 steps back.
Agreed. Dynamics is a massive loss to the game but hopefully it'll be patched in or be included in the next game.

Top Bottom