• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto Online just had its best money-making quarter ever

Drazgul

Excellent. What I want to see in GTA6 Online is real drop in drop out online play.

Yeah, one of the reasons I stopped playing GTAO were the horrendous loading times and from what I hear, they haven't improved on that since at all. It was all kinds of awful.

Everyone's crying and screaming doom and gloom "Oh god this is the end of good Rockstar singleplayer experiences!"...and I'm just having a ball flying around on my badass flying jet bike. If GTAO wasn't successful, we wouldn't get fun ass awesome shit like that, so as far as I'm concerned, keep the awesome free content coming.

Rhoc

Rockstar are not dumb they are probably the best studio or atleast Top 3. They know a huge part of their success comes from the singleplayer. In my opinion the next gta is going to have an even bigger campaign they always dwarf their last game. Obviously they also invest alot of manpower and money into the online part but the driving force is the singleplayer. The most hype for a Gta game before release is not generated from the online part it's from the singleplayer.

Everyone's crying and screaming doom and gloom "Oh god this is the end of good Rockstar singleplayer experiences!"...and I'm just having a ball flying around on my badass flying jet bike. If GTAO wasn't successful, we wouldn't get fun ass awesome shit like that, so as far as I'm concerned, keep the awesome free content coming.
You really liked having to buy a bunker, then buy a moc, then paying for research (timed and random) for the bike upgrade and then finally buying the bike??
I don't

You really liked having to buy a bunker, then buy a moc, then paying for research (timed and random) for the bike upgrade and then finally buying the bike??
I don't

You don't have to do any of this shit to buy the bike, I downloaded the update, and then I bought the bike on the website.

Good try though.

RedSwirl

I don’t agree with this opinion (I need a quest or something as an objective to have fun with a game), but I understand that a lot of people think like this.

Probably the number of gamers that never beat any GTA but spent almost (or over) 50, 70, 100 hours just having fun killing and blowing everything on the city must be huge

Having an objective is fine, but these games are at their best when all you have is an objective.

They start to suck when other limitations come on top of that, like forcing players into a funnel or telling them HOW to complete those objectives, which defeats the purpose of sandbox games. But "true" sandbox games like Minecraft/Elite/NMS are built around the idea of every player figuring out their own objective. GTA has that same core but over the years Rockstar has added stories and missions on top of it. You could even say all of those games do have a single core objective -- acquire more and more stuff. Usually it's money but sometimes it's other resources, and you just have different paths to acquiring stuff.

Oneself

So, no new GTA this gen for sure.

Next gen, we'll see GTA6 and GTA Online "II" being sold separately, full price.

Alienfan

Rockstar are not dumb they are probably the best studio or atleast Top 3. They know a huge part of their success comes from the singleplayer. In my opinion the next gta is going to have an even bigger campaign they always dwarf their last game. Obviously they also invest alot of manpower and money into the online part but the driving force is the singleplayer. The most hype for a Gta game before release is not generated from the online part it's from the singleplayer.

Yeah, they're not about to drop the single player. These games might more money through their multiplayer, but they can make even more by including a single player campaign. They're only gaining by including a campaign

luchadork

Grand Theft Auto V has been out for almost four years, but its online component is still Take-Two‘s big money-maker. In fact, Grand Theft Auto Online just had its best quarter yet.

giphy.gif

The Argus

GTA5 has to be the highest grossing game of all time, right?

Definitely. The games above it (Tetris, Minecraft, and Wii Sports) were either shipped with their original console, inflated with $0-5 mobile ports, or have been around for 3 decades jumping around publishers. GTA V still sells at $30-40 with hundreds of millions spent every quarter for "free" DLC.

Definitely. The games above it (Tetris, Minecraft, and Wii Sports) were either shipped with their original console, inflated with $0-5 mobile ports, or have been around for 3 decades jumping around publishers. GTA V still sells at $30-40 with hundreds of millions spent every quarter for "free" DLC.
I recall a previous Take-Two statement saying something along the lines of that they've made just as much money from microtransactions as they have from selling the game itself. So for all intent and purpose of trying to estimate revenue based on game sales, you could just double the number of games sold from 85 million copies or whatever to 170 million copies =p

It's just such a bummer of a situation and one that I honestly can't blame them for at all. They've created something that alienates much of their longterm hardcore fanbase, but the sales charts don't lie. There's another massive portion of the population that seemingly will forever support the online proponent that making content focusing on SP content a "bad business" move.

Sucks, but Rockstar and I likely grew apart and focusing on what they're doing now is unquestionably best for business.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Unpopular opinion: I've had more fun with GTAO than with GTAV, which lost me around 20 hours into the game. Never cared for any of the three protagonists, the missions where the same as in every other GTA game (with the exception of heists, which are awesome), and you are severely limited in what you can do at any given time.

GTAO has all the cool things about GTAV, but with much more freedom to explore everything at your leisure. It deserves the success it's been having

All of that money and they are still too cheap to give us actual single player story content.

Why would they waste time and money on the people who only gave them $60, when they could spend time and money on the people giving them hundreds of dollars a week?

This is the future. Everybody complaining about it is basically the equivalent of somebody in an arcade in 1985 complaining about the NES.

No GTA VI until the next decade confirmed.
I suspect they'll do exactly what they did with GTA V: release it near the very end of the gen, refuse to talk about a next gen version, and then later release it again on the next gen consoles as an enhanced/remastered version. With a PC version later thrown in there some time after the initial release.

13ruce

Banned
Guess i will just skip GTA 6 and buy red dead 2 as the last rockstar/take 2 game. GTA online is a crap show huge grind and overly expensive goods so that they can sell you their ridiculous priced shark cards unless you grind your ass off.

It's a ridiculously sad anti consumer business practice and sadly it's succesfull.

I once had fun with the online but after i realised the grind never stops i just wuit i sometimes only play some with friends but meh game is boring AF.

LKSmash

I suspect they'll do exactly what they did with GTA V: release it near the very end of the gen, refuse to talk about a next gen version, and then later release it again on the next gen consoles as an enhanced/remastered version. With a PC version later thrown in there some time after the initial release.

Naaaaaaah they'll have Red Dead 2 to re-release on the new consoles/PC. GTA VI probably isn't coming for a decade at this rate.

Horns

I'm ok with this, I think. GTA V was such a good game. They've supported it with a lot of free content since release. They added free online co-op. They deserve to do well.

Still, I want single player DLC. That's all I ever wanted.

Van Bur3n

So many micro transactions, so many stupid people that buy into it. Mind boggling it has gotten to this point yet here we are. The future of gaming.

People used to complaint about the idea of DLC but now we're dealing with a business practice that is far more manipulative and alters the gameplay experience in terrible ways.

Just a few weeks ago I put my GTA5 disc back into my PS3 to try out those heists that were added to the online mode a long time ago.

Then I had to go to a wiki to check how you're supposed to start one of those. Apparently you need a "high-end apartment" - if you don't have one, Lester will never call you which is needed to start the heist. Apparently my little apartment is not enough so I have to grind cash... or buy some Shark Cards!

There went my plan to have fun.

gnexus

Makes me wonder if any future Rockstar games will ever appear on PC after GTA5. Pretty much 90% of lobbies I publicly go into have hackers that drop money on you randomly and you don't even have to ask. Even after the latest gunrunning update. That hurts the Shark card bottom line.

GTAO is an awesome experience now, and it's constantly improving. However a lot of these new features Executives/Bikers/Gunrunning just all feel samey now. Just more grinding and time. I think I'm just bored with the map and want something entirely new.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
RIP GTA.

I loved all them including GTA V single player. I gave GTA Online a try and enjoyed it for a while but not interested anymore. If they are going to focus on online in all their games now then I guess I'm done with Rockstar. They've ruined GTA as far as I'm concerned and will no doubt do the same for Red Dead. I wouldn't be surprised if GTA VI doesn't even has any single player content.

Blam

This is beyond insane how are paying so much for such little cash ingame. The only reason I'm even on PC is because people will drop money for so little. I mean my friends do it for me so I"m not paying anyone.

But people have gone as low as 3$ for 100million ingame.

Van Bur3n

Arabian Stallion for $49.99
Kentucky Thoroughbred for $29.99
Spanish Colonial for $19.99
Appaloosa ready for the glue factory $1.99

Nah, it should be cattle cards instead.

Super Bull - $100
Breeding Bull - $50
Cow - $20
Steer - $10
Heifer - $5
Calf - $3

The deeper message behind it being you become the cow they milk for money.

borges

Banned
As some has suggested here, creating a separate, online online version of the game would make a lot of sense. Kind of a definitive online edition.

MorshuTheTrader

Neo Member
All this hubbub about GTA Online has me interested. I played it at launch, but just seemed like a glorified free roam with friends/randoms.

Sounds like a lot has changed. Is it still worth jumping in at this point?

Van Bur3n

All this hubbub about GTA Online has me interested. I played it at launch, but just seemed like a glorified free roam with friends/randoms.

How much time are you willing to spend grinding or much money do you have in your wallet?

Blam

Well they haven't added a few more heists like they said they would, but they did add quite a few things besides that. You can launder money, steal cars, steal club packages, make meth, make weed, cocaine all to make money in the end then sell them in bulk so you can make huge sums of cash.

You also have CEO stuff which is what the package delivering and car stealing is from you need around 15million to even get that started.

Just added a military bunker which lets you mod just about everything now. New sets of much more customizable weapons. Can add turrets to your cars, etc. A shitload new cars, weapons, clothes, etc. You can also buy a Jet Bike, Jet Car, Ramp Car (Fast and Furious), or a Ruiner 2000 which has a parachute, can jump, shoot missiles and has chainguns on it.

Missions up the ass, a new tron game mode, stunt racing a la trackmania. Still more being added.

But one thing. It's fucking grindy to all hell worse then any MMO you've ever played.

GoxRx

1. The load times suck

2. The infrastructure for the games "lobby system" is awful. There are way too many activities so if you want to play X you better hope you have enough friends or else x will not populate with enough players.

3. If you want the cool crazy weapons and vehicles you have to either grind an insane amount or give Rockstar your money so they can give you game money.

I'm a big GTA fan but I agree with this. I don't even play online anymore.

Top Bottom