• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto Online just had its best money-making quarter ever

The SP only gamers will feel the ramifications of this after GTA VI imo.
An online only service model will be the future of R*.

Such titles would require less investment up front for the expansive SP portion but it still banks more money/profitability overall thanks to whales and long sales tails.

We will never have the same R* again after RDR2 but that's the way the industry evolves so thems the breaks.

Just a few weeks ago I put my GTA5 disc back into my PS3 to try out those heists that were added to the online mode a long time ago.

Then I had to go to a wiki to check how you're supposed to start one of those. Apparently you need a "high-end apartment" - if you don't have one, Lester will never call you which is needed to start the heist. Apparently my little apartment is not enough so I have to grind cash... or buy some Shark Cards!

There went my plan to have fun.
You only need an apartment if you want to host the heist. If you just want to play them, bring up your phone, go to the quick play option, and select Heist. Note that there is a minimum level you need to be (I think it's only 10 or something), so if this is literally your first time loading up GTAO you'll need to do some other stuff first (and would probably want to anyway).

Playing with friends, especially the heists, is the epitome of fun.
But holy fuck if this game isn't a buggy piece of software. You've gotta deal with shitty loading screens, shitty networking, shitty bugs(thanks for making me lose all my crates, Rockstar), and shitty hackers. A bug that happened to me last week has been reported for over a year by multiple people. A year! Come on Rockstar, use some of that infinite money of yours and fix your game. Also give us some dedicated servers for fucks sake.

Was there right at the beginning of launch and knew straight away this was a fucking grind festing money milking up your arse system.

Judging by mobile games success, this aint gonna go away any time soon either.

Ah well, its a business after all. All I can hope is that there arses will be bitten the fuck right off in years to come and they (and the industry) will regret it.

Input lag on the controller (ps4)(and probably other consoles?) was fucking shit too!

wvnative

Take-Two also said that they will be extending the lifetime of GTA Online as a result. The original plan was to cease the large content updates this year.

http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2291171

Did they just stealth tease single player DLC? The choice of words is weird as they pretty much exclusively refer to updates as GTA online, but this says they've extended support for both Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online...

I hate to stir a pot that probably doesn't exist, but am I the only one who finds this wording...odd?

Yopis

Fun game. Never bought shark cards. With regular play anything can be purchased.

The grind isn't that bad. No worse than typical Jrpg.

Game has come a long way. Good in spurts

Bluecondor

You only need an apartment if you want to host the heist. If you just want to play them, bring up your phone, go to the quick play option, and select Heist. Note that there is a minimum level you need to be (I think it's only 10 or something), so if this is literally your first time loading up GTAO you'll need to do some other stuff first (and would probably want to anyway).

You can buy a really nice high-end apartment that allows you to host heists for around $275,000. While it will take you a few hours of grinding missions, you can just go to a solo only lobby and steal and sell cars every hour and play contact missions that pay between $5,000-$10,000.

$275,000 is a three hour or so "grind" that actually isn't too bad because many of the missions are very short and stealing cars is pretty fun, as there are several cars that go for $9,000 and the modded Sentinel-XS (yellow is worth $15,000 - blue is worth $17,000) spawns every night from midnight-3 AM at the exact same block.

Falchion

That's insane and kind of scary because it's going to drive every design decision they make on all their games. I just wanted my single player, story DLC.....

RedSwirl

This makes it seem like Elite Dangerous is the endpoint Rockstar games are headed towards -- just drop the players into a sandbox world where they constantly make money and buy things, occasionally matchmaking them together into small groups (though ED has a solo mode).

1. The load times suck

2. The infrastructure for the games "lobby system" is awful. There are way too many activities so if you want to play X you better hope you have enough friends or else x will not populate with enough players.

3. If you want the cool crazy weapons and vehicles you have to either grind an insane amount or give Rockstar your money so they can give you game money.
1. After the initial load from launching the game, you don't even have to look at load screens anymore unless you didn't join on a friend from the getgo.

2. Lobby system does suck, but a lot of the best activities happen in-server and if you're not playing with GAF / friends, you're missing out!

3. The grind can be a thing if you pay 0 attention. Every time they do double $ and RP for heists or new events (like right now) you can jump on for a few hours and make a million or two.

xviper

they better not fuck up Red Dead Redemption 2 online

GTA 4 and RDR online were simple, amazing and fun as fuck

GTA 5 fucked it up with too much shit

JohnDrake

I bought it on day one on PS3. Already sold that version and bought it again for PS4. Still play it almost every day with friends. It is one of the best options for co-op in the market.

Anth0ny

I don't think Rockstar would risk the negativity that would come from focusing too heavily on multiplayer over single player. They're too smart for that.

GTA5 is the most successful single video game release of all time. Why deviate from that formula? Why even RISK it? You have virtually unlimited resources, just make the single player great like they always do AND THEN pump the money out of everyone via online for the next 5 years.

You have to spend real money on the vehicles?
All of the GTA Online DLC is free. But you can buy "Shark Cards", which are in-game currency packs. To answer your question as to why someone would buy them, it's as a shortcut to getting the necessary in-game currency to buy some of those 150+ new vehicles they've added.

I've never bought one, but the people who have are the ones who've effectively funded the development of those 150+ vehicles, many of which I own and enjoy using in the game :)

Steiner

Banned
I've never played GTA V or GTA Online. All of the additional game modes are free, right? So these guys are raking in revenue just from shark card / game currency sales?

In case you were wondering why companies love service games.

Your statement doesn't even follow the headline, because GTAV Online isn't even a service game.

Rockstar don't even need to commit to constant regular content updates (which is how we define GaaS games right?) in order to print money with GTA: Online.

If anything, GTA Online is an argument against GaaS games. Rockstar isn't beholden to some long-term content update development plan in order to keep players playing and keep them spending real money on micro-transactions. They're perfectly free to funnel development resources into developing RDR2 and GTAVI, all the while sitting back and printing money with GTA: Online. In which case, I feel it invalidates the GaaS model entirely, as it proves games just need to have a well designed online component with cleverly implemented micro-transactions, and gamers will open up their wallets.

Jingo

This is our education, even if we dont like, we are molded to the new realities, nowadays no one wants to play old games cause they are" difficult and hard"

Back in the day we didnt think they were hard, they were normal games, we evolved to games hand holding you and now people play dark souls and think its the most difficult game ever!

Online monetization is the next step, people dont hava patience for single player games, kids these days dont play in the street with their friends or hang on, they live online on social medias, so online games are perfect dor their "relationships"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Your statement doesn't even follow the headline, because GTAV Online isn't even a service game.

Rockstar don't even need to commit to constant regular content updates (which is how we define GaaS games right?) in order to print money with GTA: Online.

If anything, GTA Online is an argument against GaaS games. Rockstar isn't beholden to some long-term content update development plan in order to keep players playing and keep them spending real money on micro-transactions. They're perfectly free to funnel development resources into developing RDR2 and GTAVI, all the while sitting back and printing money with GTA: Online. In which case, I feel it invalidates the GaaS model entirely, as it proves games just need to have a well designed online component with cleverly implemented micro-transactions, and gamers will open up their wallets.
...It had its best quarter because they released four updates to the game.

Not only that, but 2017 has been probably a huge year for RMT-motivating content patches.

Fall 2016 got Bikers, Holiday 2016 got CEO Import/Export, last quarter got Stunt Circuits, and then this quarter got Gunrunning.

All those things combined, with a constant surge of new GTAO players -- and especially kids out of school and college for summer -- who suddenly all want MC clubhouses, drug businesses, CEO properties, luxury offices and apartments, yachts and supercars.

Then throw in the new Gunrunning bunkers and vehicles as a major summer patch.

And also that the game is constantly adding clothes, new real life inspired supercars (e.g. Bugatti Chiron; Aston Martin Valkyrie), and lots of ways to nickle and dime players.

So, for new players (or old/returning) players out of school for the summer, the game has a really massive amount of constantly new cool shit to buy.

If you're new to the game and you want even just a safehouse, property, and probably 1 business (e.g. clubhouse + weed farm) or office + warehouse, and you don't want waste 100 hours doing shitty missions to catch up to your friends, that's probably $20-30 USD to 'get into the game.' Throw in a nicer CEO office and maybe a combination of office/bunker/drug business, you're probably dropping $60-80 USD in GTAO cash, or at least buying one of the GTA5 + cash card bundles that bring the GTA5 sticker price back up to OG release full $60 retail or $70-80. If I had to guess I'd say quite a lot of new players that are planning to stick around with your friends at least grab a small cash card to skip all the boring shit and get into at least export/import or biker drug businesses....

and this quarter probably was their best yet because kids out for school want to get into GTAO but get right into export/import, crates, get a CEO office, biker drug business, AND now also the brand new gunrunning bunkers.

it'd be sort of like getting into vanilla WoW except the leveling is even worse/more boring, and being able to just $20 to skip it and instantly start raiding with your friends.

Popnbake

What are they supposed to regulate? You're buying a fixed amount of in game currency. It's not a gamble on what you'll get with your money spent.

It's impressive they made this much without resorting to a lottery based system.

I thought that was going to be the norm going forward.

SoulUnison

Banned
GTA Online is not a business model I wanted to see vindicated. It's a maddening experience.

"Grind occasionally slightly fun minigames for hours on end while 12-year-olds scream at you and the worst aspects of humanity come out in Free Play and you might be able to afford a small piece of the latest update - if you have the patience to sit through an experience that's easily at least 30% loading screens."

GTAVI Online is going to be tight, y'all.
Jobs should be a priority imo.

Cop:
Officer - basically a uniform and can arrest/kill players with wanted stars or "random" crimes.
Patrol Cop - own a cop car while doing the same
Detective - can "solve" killings of both players and NPCs, track and kill/arrest player even without a wanted star. Own an unmarked cop car.
SWAT - uniform and armored vehicles
Police Chief - a police HQ is your safehouse, you also get the police helicopters, boats, etc.

Criminal:
Henchman - special weapons, more money from crime related stuff, easier to lower wanted level.
Driver - nice car, get paid for randomly generated drives
Hitman - more weapons, able to track high value players and NPCs, free ammo
Made Man - armored vehicles, high end clothing, helicopter.
Head of a family - highest end safehouse, planes, helicopters, yacht, boats, etc.

Firefighter
Paramedic
Driver

etc

I'd play the hell out of that.

And then incorporate that with the typical heists and multiplayer modes.

GTA Online is not a business model I wanted to see vindicated. It's a maddening experience.

"Grind occasionally slightly fun minigames for hours on end while 12-year-olds scream at you and the worst aspects of humanity come out in Free Play and you might be able to afford a small piece of the latest update - if you have the patience to sit through an experience that's easily at least 30% loading screens."
I think that's why cash cards are so popular.

I do think the minigames (I love the stunt races or those Tron bike combat arenas) and the general craziness of GTAO free roam or co-op missions can be super fun.

I've been on a few biker rides or 'car rally drives' that were pretty fantastic multiplayer experiences as far as any game goes. A huge group of people cruising around with their customized cars is pretty rad -- when the stars align and it actually happens.

And thematically, I really like the MC drug businesses. It's kinda cool to build a little empire in a GTA world. GTA Online is so far ahead of what GTA SA or CT Wars did with things like drugs or turf.

But I like doing them for 30 minutes a couple times a week for fun. I do it once night and then switch to MGS V or Wildlands if I want more combat; Driveclub if I want racing; etc. It's great fun in moderation 'just for fun', but as a form of progression it's poor, and combined with the lobby/matchmaking it becomes horrid.

So I think the cash cards have become so successful because the core gameplay is still fun enough but folks don't want to be beholden to shitty progression system and skip it -- which is exactly why Rockstar designed it that way to begin with. If I had to guess, I'd say relative to a lot of RMT games, GTA Online is probably relatively un-reliant on 'whales' and that the success of the game is a case study on how to incentivize small cash card sales. No evidence :p Just my impression based on how common small purchases of cash cards seem to be based on talking/hearing folks: lots and lots of folks grabbing $20 USD 'starter cash' or nickle and diming themselves a bit of extra cash each new major content patch.

Been waiting for this game to hit $15 during a Steam sale

itsbeen84years.gif

Gonna be 84 more with this shit going on

Keep waiting... The legs are so insane at it's current price point, that Rockstar has no intentions on dropping the price. The PC port still sits in the Steams best seller list month after month.

levyjl1988

Banned
GTA Online was good with heists after that everything went downhill. There's not much in terms of interesting missions, plus the population on X1, whenever I log in, is dead.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
GTA Online was good with heists after that everything went downhill. There's not much in terms of interesting missions, plus the population on X1, whenever I log in, is dead.
Can't do much about the platform and player population unless you get a PS4 or PC.

I do know on XBO just teaming up with friends, it's cool.

Top Bottom