• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V - Coming for PS4, Xbox One and PC this Fall - Trailer

dreamfall

I'm so jealous of you guys who never played the PS3/360 incarnations and get to experience it for the first time in current-gen glory.

I still remember seeing a scan of this viewfinder when they launched for the pre-orders.

It's probably still my favorite image ever...

iGkZupVB4tohX.jpg

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Any word on a new photo mode? We can DREAM!

Yeah. The smartphone stuff was great for the highlighting the whole selfies trend, but not ideal for really good shots. An inFamous/The Last of Us Remastered-esque photo mode would be best.

Rockstar mentioned improved LoD streaming, and greater draw distances, which you stated specifically. Did you notice any pop-in/fade-in, and was it very apparent or did you have to actively search for it while watching? Thanks again for taking questions!

AmyS

All I can ask for is a consistent, nearly-locked 30 FPS on PS4.

Depending on hardware configuration and game settings, modern high-end gaming PCs have huge amounts of extra power, to the point where they can brute-force games to 60 or more FPS.

doofy102

Crackpot question here - Did they show you the coast/ocean area that's north of Mt Chiliad? (Woods area/ facing Mt Chilliad doesn't count.)

No extra landmass or anything? :p

Thats really all Ive got on impressions guys sorry I don't have more.

Considering how much they showed I think a new trailer / release date are coming shortly but haven't had confirmation of that. It appeared to me though they were gearing up for a big reveal.

dreamfall

Thats really all Ive got on impressions guys sorry I don't have more.

Considering how much they showed I think a new trailer / release date are coming shortly but haven't had confirmation of that. It appeared to me though they were gearing up for a big reveal.

Goodness, thanks for every single word.

Brought the hype and imagination all back!

Bring the wonder!

Basketball

Ok so a few responses.

1. I saw this at the GameStop managers conference in Anehiem. Rockstar gave a 45 minute closed doors presentation.

2. They showed us multiple locals. The city, underwater areas, country side etc.

3. Foliage has been completely reworked. Tree barks been redone, individual grass blades, wild flowers etc. This applies to underwater areas as well. Completely reworked coral reefs and underwater plants.

4. Draw distance now is INSANE. One example they showed us was the main city at night. They showed it on PS3 first amd showed us how all lighting at a distance was pre baked. In the remaster its all pre loaded in real time and is dynamic. You can see lights and traffic flow from massive distances.

5. Water rendering system has been completely redone. Rivers / Ocean / rain are gorgeous

6. No release date given. They simply said soon.

7. Animal texture work has been 100 % re done.

8. Anti Aliasing looked great with little to no jaggies. Looked 1080p to me. It was demoed on PS4.

9. Promised "new" content. One example was new songs / soundtrack / radio stations.

10. Best remaster Ive seen by far. I literally gasped at the differences.
Asians+with+toothpaste.+takes+a+while+to+load+source+http+www.youtube.com+watch+v+h97jt1XtnGQ+feature+playerdetailpage+t+126s+don+t+ask_2a9c34_3828779.gif

I think the potential for such big improvements is precisely why I don't mind if it releases this year or next.

GTA V is the only game I've really played much for the last year, and even yet tonight and for the foreseeable future, is the only game I'm regularly playing. It's sort of become my staple go-to game, and probably will remain the go-to open world (non-fantasy) game for at least a couple years. So, if they want to take an extra 3 or 6 months to make it even better, I don't mind, because the more time they spend on it, the more I'll get out of in next year and the year after that.

If I think back to my favorite games, like Final Fantasy Tactics or Deus Ex, and I really ask myself, would I accept a 1 year delay, in hindsight, so the game has even more content? It'd be pretty easy to say 'yes' once you consider you may play the game for 5 or 10 years. Granted, GTA V is not that game for everyone, nor was FFT or DE. But it is for me, and I've already beat it 8 times in just 1 year. So, if they as far as I'm concerned, take as long as you want to make it better. Every extra month is just an extra month of content.

I've no real interest in even seeing a new setting for GTA VI. I like the setting, art, and cast enough of V that I wish they'd just keep expanding and adding to San Andreas, both single-player stories and as online game. That's likely not the concensus of GTA consumers, which is totally fair, but it's how I feel at least. I think the world of GTA V is that good.

Teletraan1

Banned
I'm so jealous of you guys who never played the PS3/360 incarnations and get to experience it for the first time in current-gen glory.

I was always holding off for a PC or PS4 release. I usually only play through a GTA once so I was going to do it right the first time. There have been so many other games to play since it came out I haven't even really been bothered by it. I hope this drops in November.

c0Zm1c

I've no real interest in even seeing a new setting for GTA VI. I like the setting, art, and cast enough of V that I wish they'd just keep expanding and adding to San Andreas, both single-player stories and as online game. That's likely not the concensus of GTA consumers, which is totally fair, but it's how I feel at least. I think the world of GTA V is that good.
I would love to see more Michael, Trevor and Franklin.

Ok so a few responses.

1. I saw this at the GameStop managers conference in Anehiem. Rockstar gave a 45 minute closed doors presentation.

2. They showed us multiple locals. The city, underwater areas, country side etc.

3. Foliage has been completely reworked. Tree barks been redone, individual grass blades, wild flowers etc. This applies to underwater areas as well. Completely reworked coral reefs and underwater plants.

4. Draw distance now is INSANE. One example they showed us was the main city at night. They showed it on PS3 first amd showed us how all lighting at a distance was pre baked. In the remaster its all pre loaded in real time and is dynamic. You can see lights and traffic flow from massive distances.

5. Water rendering system has been completely redone. Rivers / Ocean / rain are gorgeous

6. No release date given. They simply said soon.

7. Animal texture work has been 100 % re done.

8. Anti Aliasing looked great with little to no jaggies. Looked 1080p to me. It was demoed on PS4.

9. Promised "new" content. One example was new songs / soundtrack / radio stations.

10. Best remaster Ive seen by far. I literally gasped at the differences.

RG0BS1U.gif

I missed GTA:V last year since I could no longer carry from PS3 from one city to another. Can't wait to experience it for the first time in glorious 1080p on PS4!

Jtrizzy

Still holding out hope that the PS4 version runs at 60, and if not, that the PC version has lots of options and is decently optimized. I hate to be a snob, but 30 fps just kills me. I feel like I'm missing so much in Destiny right now.

I would love to see more Michael, Trevor and Franklin.
It could even be a totally new cast and a totally new setting for the story itself. Imagine if they took GTA V's map and just expanded it a la GTA SA, and adding either San Ferrio or Las Venturas. This was made by a fan but imagine if the next 2 GTAs were just adding those 2 other cities with their own unique stories -- full GTA stories and productions but based on the GTA V assets rather than starting from scratch. I hard to really get the 'GTA World' we all want when they start from scratch every year. The GTA world I think we want would take them 7-8 years to make, so when not use GTA V assets and then build onto its borders and add far more content within it.

They could just add Las Venturas onto Blaine County, doubling the map in size, and then set the new story in LV. They don't even have to really visit Los Santos or feature M, T, and F (though I'm sure there would be cameos). They could have a pretty unique and different story, feel, and setting, but when you're done the story, now you have both LS and LV to free-roam in. Instead of starting from scratch, just keep building on those map as if it were a MMO -- more interiors, more stories, more properties, and just more 'stuff.' The map of GTA V is pretty incredible in terms of art but lacks content and gameplay, and seems a waste to just throw it a way. And truthfully, I'd be OK with returning protagonists for a first time, too, just as you are. But even if they wanted a new setting and cast, they could do that by building on V. Imagine Los Venturas in 2 years and San Ferrio in 4 years, maybe a more classic mafia storyline in LV and perhaps even smuggling/Triads in SF. Point is, a lot of ways they could use GTA V assets and get more mileage out of them.

Not everyone will agree of course and I can totally understand folks wanting a new Vice City from scratch instead, too. Just saying what I personally would like; not necessarily what's best for Rockstar or it's general fan base.

abracadaver

Sounds great. Thanks Shogun.

But if they push current gen consoles so far I fear the PC version will run bad. I don't want another DR3.

doofy102

Rockstar has admitted they want to expand the map with stuff they've done in the past. I fully expect Liberty City to enter the "V" era.

Bollocks

All I want is smoother online integration going aka drop in/ drop out, no excessive loading times anymore between freeroam and starting a dm/race/activity. That was the biggest culprit I had with the game, it was just slow.

Mp has potential but the old gen held it back

Was this presentation open for everyone in attendance? I know a few people at the meeting & they didn't see GTA 5 or even know of it being shown.

Are they employees or were they at the public expo?

if they are employees amd are telling you they didn't see GTA they are lieing

They confused it with a playable demo, but said the presentation was only 15mins for GTA 5.

No it wasn't playable as I said it was mostly Rockstar in debug mode showing us the actual game. As I said it was mostly environmental stuff.

For sure was longer than 15 minutes though.

Top Bottom