• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
i2Z7TokwicOYb.gif

The fact this in an online multiplayer gif, it's incredible. I never really gave online in MP3 a fair shot. Played it a bit, but the community was so divided by the superior free aim and the heathens that used soft-lock.

Wasp

It still pains me that I completed MP3 on hard and my achievement never popped. :(

But yeah fantastic game. So incredibly polished and dat Euphoria.

Mothman91

Will walmart have this at midnight? Not sure how much I want to go to a gamestop midnight launch, especially since I heard some people mention they wanted people to line up at 10PM or something.

My local Gamestop has people lining up at 10 on games, but I can see people coming even earlier than that for this one. I actually went for Walmart this year, have gotten an expansion for WoW from there and it was way better than sitting in line at Gamestop.

kazebyaka

Banned
I want to say that gunplay is different from max Payne 3,its more simplistic and definitely not as fluid and spectacular. Sorry to disappoint some of you.

morpix

Any confirmations of resolution differences? I want to get PS3 but am afraid it will be sub HD like 4 or RDR. Was there any difference in res for MP3?

Apparently it's got parity with the 360 release. I guess Max Payne 3 was the last outing for Rockstar and that was definitely not a bad port (as per Eurogamer).

antitrop

Monday is review-day, right? Unless Rockstar wants everything released on release day. I know I read somewhere that IGN and Sterling's will be today.
All reviews are hitting Monday morning at 10am EST/7am PST. Destructoid and IGN going up at the same moment as everyone else.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Just got home with my copy, I know a ton of people have it now but if anyone is looking in the Tampa area just send me a PM. Dude had a couple 360 left and one more PS3.

GrayGrey

Neo Member
Does PSN charge tax for those in Pennsylvania? Thinking of maybe forgoing the physical copy and instead go right for the digital version (either via card or buy digital codes off of Amazon.) if it's as good as people are saying.

Also if you buy off PSN can you use the code to add money to the account and then pay the remainder with a credit card if need be?

Not sure if PSN charges tax for Pennsylvania. But to answer your second question; yes.

edit: if tax is an issue, you can always pick up a PSN card then buy the game. The purchase of the card is nontaxable.

Reckoner

I want to say that gunplay is different from max Payne 3,its more simplistic and definitely not as fluid and spectacular. Sorry to disappoint some of you.

that's disappointing, but at the same time... If they were doing the same as Max Payne, that would make the series pointless

Gaz_RB

I would assume that it's lacking the focus of Max Payne 3, with shoot dodge and long gun holding and such gone, but as long as it keeps the tightness and basic mechanics, I'm good to go.

Unicorn

Yeah, obviously a dedicated shooter is gonna have more tricks than a game with shooting as an aspect within a lot of other things. As long as it's as good or better than RDR, I'll be satisfied.

calder

Tonight I'll watch Breaking Bad and maybe some football or something.

Tomorrow I'll spend the day at work reading reviews basically. Quick nap when I get home, then kill some time before going to pick up the game at midnight, maybe pick up some drive through on my way home assuming a mandatory install on PS3. Play for a few hours, then all day Tuesday during my day off.

It's a sound plan. A good plan. Now it's all about execution and details.

My local Gamestop has people lining up at 10 on games, but I can see people coming even earlier than that for this one. I actually went for Walmart this year, have gotten an expansion for WoW from there and it was way better than sitting in line at Gamestop.

Yeah, hoping Walmart will release the game at that time. Just want to make sure no one who has tried that has been denied before :D Would suck to drive out there instead of gamestop and come home with nothing.

I dont think people expected a straight rip gunplay from Max Payne 3.

I know I wasn't. I am expecting to have similiar aiming mechanics, not necessarily shoot-dodge though. From what I've seen, it does borrow quite a bit from MP3's basic mechanics, which is absolutely fine by me.

ieatzombies

I would assume that it's lacking the focus of Max Payne 3, with shoot dodge and long gun holding, but as long as it keeps the tightness and basic mechanics, I'm good to go.

Exactly. As long as the general tightness is there, it's all gravy. Shit, I'm happy it's anywhere near that ballpark in an open world game like gta.

Mothman91

Yeah, hoping Walmart will release the game at that time. Just want to make sure no one who has tried that has been denied before :D Would suck to drive out there instead of gamestop and come home with nothing.

Well, my Walmart will release it because it's open 24/7. There is another one around here that isn't open all day so you have to make sure it's open all day.

Alienous

Exactly. As long as the general tightness is there, it's all gravy. Shit, I'm happy it's anywhere near that ballpark in an open world game like gta.

That said, I noticed that the animation priority in Max Payne 3 is a bit shite. It screws with walking, and trying to make precise, minuscule movements. Hopefully they have reworked that.

Flanimal Lover

Neo Member
Hey everyone, using my first post on the forums. Just wanted to say that this thread has really got me pumped for tomorrows launch. Also if the gun play is anything near Max Payne 3's then we are in for one hell of a treat.

kazebyaka

Banned
Yeah, obviously a dedicated shooter is gonna have more tricks than a game with shooting as an aspect within a lot of other things. As long as it's as good or better than RDR, I'll be satisfied.
Oh man, RDR is nothing compared to this game, and I'm not overreacting.

Garland7G

Sweet. Some reading to have with my lunch break at work. I got 4 days off after today. I took this week last year without actually knowing GTA V would be released in the same week. Talking about luck.

You would have been alright. This time last year the game was set to release in May. :(

bitoriginal

That's it. I'm going to bed now and when I wake up in the morning, I'll be playing this game before I fall asleep again. The gut-wrenching wait is finally nearing the end. See you on the other side sweet gaffers.

Well, my Walmart will release it because it's open 24/7. There is another one around here that isn't open all day so you have to make sure it's open all day.

Didn't even know there were walmarts that weren't open 24/7! But yes, ours are open 24 hours or at least the ones I know of. Will I have to ask them to go into the back or what?

TheSoviet

Neo Member
I suspect the handful of us Brits who's Amazon UK copies dispatched on the 14th may be receiving this a day early. Certainly looks that way from my Royal Mail tracking. Already at my local depot.

Same here. Although I can't track it on the Royal Mail website for some reason. :/

I haven't played Max Payne 3, can someone explain how the shooting works and why it's so good?

Best cover system in any game I've ever played. Although, GTA5 looks more like RDR though.

calder

Any confirmations of resolution differences? I want to get PS3 but am afraid it will be sub HD like 4 or RDR. Was there any difference in res for MP3?

Can't be 100% sure at this point, but the Eurogamer article about GTA4 offers some cause for optimism:

All of which brings us to the arrival of the new GTA5. We can't talk about the new game right now, and to avoid any hints inadvertently creeping into this article, we've written it before we've even gone hands-on with either version of the code. For its part, Rockstar itself believes that there's little cause for concern.

"This is probably the first game we've done where both platforms have been running in parallel," Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies told Computer and Video Games, all but confirming our long-standing theory that GTA4 was developed on Xbox 360 first, primarily because dev kits were available that much earlier than they were for PS3. "There's very, very little difference in the development state of them both. They're both very similar. It would be hard to tell them apart."

That said, Rockstar has apparently used the PS3 build for all its presentations and demos we've heard about thus far and everything we've seen suggests that the sub-HD resolution of GTA4 no longer applies - this game is running at native 720p. Whether that means it's the version to go for remains to be seen - and it's something we'll report back on as soon as can

manhack

Well, I knew I should of stayed out of the GTA V threads. The streams and the hype got to me.

Been staring at amazon.com pre-order screen and since only a few hours left to miss out on release day shipping I pulled the trigger.

antitrop

Well, I knew I should of stayed out of the GTA V threads. The streams and the hype got to me.

Been staring at amazon.com pre-order screen and since only a few hours left to miss out on release day shipping I pulled the trigger.

You did the right thing. You were supposed to buy this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom