• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krusader

Neo Member
I can totally picture this thread going quiet for a few hours after the midnight launch...

I am picking my copy up on Tuesday. Life and work have conspired against my plans to do the midnight launch.

Would like to see this thread continue to be a (mostly)safe place with as few spoilers as possible.

Unicorn

I dunno, I expected them to essentially more or less copy Max Payne 3's shooting over into GTA V. MP3 is the absolute best 3rd Person Shooter I've every played bogged down by unskippable cut-scenes. If they managed to get 2/3 of that into GTA V I could see how someone would be impressed when compared to others in the open-world genre. Just my two cents I guess. Sethos is usually very very critical towards games and is quick to point out flaws, so I think he's probably telling the truth.

Check yo PM's

Gaz_RB

10/10 TPS?

original.gif

Haha his opinion! I'd give Max Payne 3's shooting a 10/10! Top of its class in third person shooting. In my opinion though, but I don't see a 10/10 as perfection, so that's probably why

Well Im 16 hours into it now. =)
And I did like the bikes and the quads.
Everything he says is the same thing Im feeling.
Amazing what R* did.

Some popin, really small amount.
In the beginning I really noticed it, after like 30 min, not so much.
And I really mean small amounts of popin.

Im afraid to get into spoiler territory now, so Ill quit.

16 hours in, how far are you through the main story.

Obviously no spoilers or mention of story, but is there enough there to say you're still experiencing new things?

Alienous

Haha his opinion! I'd give Max Payne 3's shooting a 10/10! Top of its class in third person shooting. In my opinion though, but I don't see a 10/10 as perfection, so that's probably why

Having great shooter mechanics are only a part of being a 10/10 TPS. Level design. Pacing.

And the assertion that the game deserves a 10/10, ignoring the missions? That's a little bit generous.

Yerolo

Right?

It makes it even more awesome that he hasn't even gotten into the missions yet!

Sethos reminded me of Vinny during the Sleeping Dogs Quick Looks. Thats the highest compliment I can pay him....was always on the lookout to push the game mechanics to their limit with just pure craziness.

Without spoiling anything I can say that 90% of the gifs in the spoiler thread were of him just going nuts.

Prologue

Hi all. Really honored to get accepted on gaf. I've been following along in spirit, staying spoiler free and extremely hyped for gta! You all have really been helping calm the tension of this ferocious hype train. Looking forward to kickin it with everyone on gafstreet.

I hope the cops aren't too simplistic like in the other games. If I blow up an oil tanker with C4 or cause some chaos with a sniper rifle with a silencer, I hope I don't get an instant 3 star rating.

Haven't heard that many impressions regarding the quality of SP missions.

Unicorn

Having great shooter mechanics are only a part of being a 10/10 TPS. Level design. Pacing.

And the assertion that the game deserves a 10/10, ignoring the missions? That's a little bit generous.

The toolset is what's important. Even a shitty story can't hold down a Sandbox game, since the main meat is the world you're in and much less the "movie story" to be told in it.

If the missions are good, though, we'll see. I know for GTA 4 and RDR the narratives left a bad taste in my mouth. Mainly, the scene-to-scene was awkward or paced badly. Also most of GTA 4's missions were forgettable aside from the bank robbery, which still felt choppy. From what I get from preview stuff the main story is just 6 big heists, so if they keep that tight focus and build around that, shit should be good.

Gaz_RB

I agree with you there, Sethos no doubt has that new game drunkeness going on, as will most people. I don't think Max Payne 3 as a whole deserves a 10/10, just as I doubt Sethos knows GTAV that the whole game as a TPS is a 10/10. I assumed he was referring to the mechanics when he said 10/10 TPS.

Sethos reminded me of Vinny during the Sleeping Dogs Quick Looks. Thats the highest compliment I can pay him....was always on the lookout to push the game mechanics to their limit with just pure craziness.

Without spoiling anything I can say that 90% of the gifs in the spoiler thread were of him just going nuts.

Haha yeah some of the gifs are insane

sweetfish

Gold Member
5dR4opq.png

Good news everyone!

Tomorrow/today (September 16) is the shortest day of the year! 23 hours, 59 minutes, 38.7 secs to be precise. Source.

R* reasoning for release GTAV on a Tuesday confirmed!
jk

Unicorn

Sent you a PM about dem GIFs

Courage

Another complaint I have is the satire. I just wish it was a little more subtle than in your face, "HOHOHO LOOK AT WHAT WE'RE OBVIOUSLY MAKING FUN OF". Just a minor issue, even though the humor is mostly on point.

Nothing makes me as excited about this game as hearing that the shooter mechanics are decent.

Could anyone who's played it elaborate on this aspect of the game please?

Wasp

To get in the mood I watched Training Day for the first time today followed by Collateral for the second time. Both fantastic films and actually very similar to each other. I'm not sure which one I prefer, they're pretty equal.

Anyway I'm not sure if I'm gonna watch the IGN, GameTrailers, Rev3 and Gamespot video reviews tomorrow. It'll be really hard to resist but I've managed to keep up my media blackout for the last four days so might as well keep going for the last 24 hours.

Derrick01

Banned
Another complaint I have is the satire. I just wish it was a little more subtle than "HOHOHO LOOK AT WHAT WE'RE OBVIOUSLY MAKING FUN OF". Just a minor issue, even though the humor is mostly on point.

That's rockstar's style though. They're not good at trying to be subtle and clever, it's more obvious with a lot of truth mixed in to get the point across. Kind of like the daily show I guess.

Gaz_RB

Another complaint I have is the satire. I just wish it was a little more subtle than in your face, "HOHOHO LOOK AT WHAT WE'RE OBVIOUSLY MAKING FUN OF". Just a minor issue, even though the humor is mostly on point.

I feel like GTA's satire has always appealed to the lowest common denominator, super easy to get because they don't want to lose any of the stupid people who happen to be GTA fans. Still funny though.

I got the install issue.

Just deleted and redownloading...lets hope.

If any issues, here's what I did;

Deleted. Installed via Playstation Store (NOT in background). Installed itself.

Took @ 50 minutes to download as opposed to @ 4 hours before in background download via Download List.

Hope it works out.

Vishnu

16 hours in, how far are you through the main story.

Obviously no spoilers or mention of story, but is there enough there to say you're still experiencing new things?

I mostly did story, and yes, new things keep on coming.
They manage to pace that pretty good IMO.

Courage

That's rockstar's style though. They're not good at trying to be subtle and clever, it's more obvious with a lot of truth mixed in to get the point across. Kind of like the daily show I guess.

True, but it was something I never really noticed until this game. The Facebook satire in the game is kind of forced.

ieatzombies

I hope the cops aren't too simplistic like in the other games. If I blow up an oil tanker with C4 or cause some chaos with a sniper rifle with a silencer, I hope I don't get an instant 3 star rating.

Haven't heard that many impressions regarding the quality of SP missions.

Yeah. Some more subtle detail in the systems on display is what I'm hoping for as well.

FoxProject

Neo Member
Wanted to use my first post to say this thread converted me from a lurker on here to a member. It's been too much fun reading all these responses on here. I had to try and hop on this hype train while I could! Thanks, GAF!

Madness

Wanted to use my first post to say this thread converted me from a lurker on here to a member. It's been too much fun reading all these responses on here. I had to try and hop on this hype train while I could! Thanks, GAF!

Wtf... How long did it take for you to join and be accepted?

But welcome nonetheless.

Effect

Does PSN charge tax for those in Pennsylvania? Thinking of maybe forgoing the physical copy and instead go right for the digital version (either via card or buy digital codes off of Amazon.) if it's as good as people are saying.

Also if you buy off PSN can you use the code to add money to the account and then pay the remainder with a credit card if need be?

I mostly did story, and yes, new things keep on coming.
They manage to pace that pretty good IMO.

That's great. I like to take my time with open world games. I hate getting burnt out or finishing it too quickly.

I'll likely be exploring and messing around a lot though.

...and saying that, online!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yeah, for about 3 hours. I liked the shooting, but didn't finish the game for whatever reason.

Have you played GtaV? Are you saying the shooting is similar? If so, GREAT.

No but i've seen enough streams now to say shooting is basically the same as in MP3. Oh and the reload animations are so detailed, love it.

Bsigg12

Welcome to the party! Drinks are out back and snacks in the kitchen.

I haven't played Max Payne 3, can someone explain how the shooting works and why it's so good?

The animations are absolutely stunning, shootdodging around is fun, bullet time is cool and the shooting is instant and reactive. It's hard to put in to words really, hopefully this gif can explain it better.

maxpayne3.gif

I haven't played Max Payne 3, can someone explain how the shooting works and why it's so good?

I can speak solely from PC but, the controls are great, the transitions into and out of cover are very good. It has a fantastic use of the euporia engine, aiming was smooth and animations were some of the best I've ever seen. Being able to aim in any direction from anywhere(laying down, against cover, in a beach chair) gave you the feeling of total control. Max picking up weapons and switching was so well done you'd think that someone else should have done it sooner. Essentially, some of the best animations mixed with fantastic aiming mechanics made it the best TPS yet released.

Will walmart have this at midnight? Not sure how much I want to go to a gamestop midnight launch, especially since I heard some people mention they wanted people to line up at 10PM or something.

Any confirmations of resolution differences? I want to get PS3 but am afraid it will be sub HD like 4 or RDR. Was there any difference in res for MP3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom