• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
it's as if Ubisoft is playing TENET with its visual fidelity
[progressing backwards to the PS3 era]

SlimySnake SlimySnake told you! you'll have to wait for SC Remake

still, I hope we'll all be pleasantly surprised and it looks better in motion but .. :)
If this is the odyssey team then im not surprised. Syndicate didnt look as good as AC Unity and Odyssey didnt look as good as Origins.

Still, i think it will look better when we see it in action. Those screens look almost PS3 quality and the game should look better than valhalla at the very least.

Xtib81

The IGN article said that there is improved GI bounce so we could be looking at RTGI here. it does look like valhalla dlc but there is a lot of stuff under the hood like weather and destruction that could help set it apart.

but yeah, the screens look really rough. This one below is the only one i like because of the draw distance and volumetric lighting above the hills but even then its not as striking as you would expect from a ubisoft game.

wbudsAI.jpeg
I might have spoken too fast when I said that it would look better than Avatar lmao. I'm really not a fan of their lighting system. Hell, even tsushima looks better in screenshots.
Interested to see the seasons but it's not fully dynamic... Must be similar to the way it's handled in Hogwarts.

H . R . 2

the game should look better than valhalla at the very least.

if Valhalla looked anything like Unity, this will be on par with Valhalla too

this looks more like Black Flag to be honest and this is not a hyperbole

these CGi reveals really piss me off, especially when the devs know their games are not going to look half as good
just idiotic

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
If this is the odyssey team then im not surprised. Syndicate didnt look as good as AC Unity and Odyssey didnt look as good as Origins.

Still, i think it will look better when we see it in action. Those screens look almost PS3 quality and the game should look better than valhalla at the very least.
Fucking finally someone said that.

Maybe it was just egypt being a way better location than grece.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I might have spoken too fast when I said that it would look better than Avatar lmao. I'm really not a fan of their lighting system. Hell, even tsushima looks better in screenshots.
Interested to see the seasons but it's not fully dynamic... Must be similar to the way it's handled in Hogwarts.
yeah it has a very baked early ps4 gen feel to it doesnt it? reminds me of nioh lmao.

if Valhalla looked anything like Unity, this will be on par with Valhalla too

these CGi reveals really piss me off, especially when the devs know their games are not going to look half as good
just idiotic

I hate it. This is why ive always been a big fan of Sony. they learned from KZ2 and Motorstorm and just focused on showing off all the graphics features in 10 minute gameplay demos. at least in the past. Ubisoft just operates differently and they end up undermining their games. The IGN preview lists so many new additions to the game including new weather driven world changes, enhanced combat mechanics and animations, destruction and lighting improvements that we should be discussing but cant because they showed none of it. my guess is ubisoft's CEO's brother runs a cg studio and all he wants to do is make these cg movies and the CEO just uses the marketing budget to keep him employed. otherwise, it makes no sense to be releasing cg trailers when you are revealing the game the next day like they did with star wars outlaws.

Still, at least we wont get a massive downgrade like we did with the Avatar reveal trailer when they finally do show off the game.

H . R . 2

Maybeit was just egypt being a way better location than grece.
goes to show the power of talent and passion or lack thereof, after all this is the same in-house engine that is being handled differently.
but what actually surprises me is how puny and minimal the engine improvements are after each iteration or how they manage to downgrade the Unity engine with every subsequent title, for that matter

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Maybeit was just egypt being a way better location than grece.
nah, better team. Origins and Valhalla teams made the black flag game. They are the most talented of the lot after the AC Unity team which has now become a support studio.

Syndicate litearlly used the same tech but the city design was so bad it was too big and the streets were too spread out. Same exact engine, almost the same assets, similar architecture and setting though victorian era and french revolution were almost a 100 years apart. it just felt vapid and the same thing happened with odyssey. they made it too big. too sprawled out. Even origins had some rough looking areas because of last gen limitations but this team just loves to go big and dont realize when to reign themselves in.

H . R . 2

. my guess is ubisoft's CEO's brother runs a cg studio and all he wants to do is make these cg movies and the CEO just uses the marketing budget to keep him employed. otherwise, it makes no sense to be releasing cg trailers when you are revealing the game the next day like they did with star wars outlaws.
I wouldn't be shocked, During the development of the OG AC, the CEO's son literally whined about the game being boring and requested collectibles and more combat encounters,
and that's how the towers and the endless quest of collecting useless items came into existence

here's the actual story

Still, at least we wont get a massive downgrade like we did with the Avatar reveal trailer when they finally do show off the game.
I would never put it past Ubi to surprise us in that regard

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I would highly recommend you guys give this TOTK GDC dev presentation a shot. There isnt much technical stuff here, mostly everything is about game design and devs simply trying to figure out how to get the physics engine working in a game. Typically these dev talks are way too technical about game engines, but this seems to be about game design first and foremost. Funny because the presentation topic and format alone kind of shows the difference between western devs and nintendo devs.

To me, TOTK is the most innovative physics driven game made since Half Life 2. i still love me some graphics but i also point to this 15 watt system doing things modern devs cant do on 400 watts graphics cards.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I would highly recommend you guys give this TOTK GDC dev presentation a shot. There isnt much technical stuff here, mostly everything is about game design and devs simply trying to figure out how to get the physics engine working in a game. Typically these dev talks are way too technical about game engines, but this seems to be about game design first and foremost. Funny because the presentation topic and format alone kind of shows the difference between western devs and nintendo devs.

To me, TOTK is the most innovative physics driven game made since Half Life 2. i still love me some graphics but i also point to this 15 watt system doing things modern devs cant do on 400 watts graphics cards.

Yeah but like you said in the past, they can have that amount of physics because the graphical fidelity is shit so a cartoony tree breaking in 3 perfect parts every damn time is no biggie.

Noita has a physics system that is like 100x times more advanced than zelda but it also look 100x times worse, but it also physically simulate every damn pixel in the screen in ways that zelda can only dream of, it is the current physics king and it's not even close.

The final goal is to have photorealistic graphic AND physics.

You think sony, M or other big studios can't do physics? no they can't do physics while having high fidelity because it's a whole new ballpark.

Not to say that the zeldas are not impressive on a switch, but they also run like absolute shit the more destruction\physics\stuff on screen you have, but they clearly don't have the same goals as other devs on more powerful machines.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

with regard to the lighting and physics systems in AC:S

Assassin’s Creed Shadows Has a Fully Dynamic Lighting System, Physics-Based Grappling Hook

Naoe can use shadows to render herself invisible, destroy lamps and other light sources, and knock out enemies non-lethally.

Basically Splinter Cell

I really hope it is not just a gimmick, and it actually adds to not only the realism of the game but also its art direction,
because that's the only thing that can save the horrible visuals

Assassins-Creed-Shadows-first-screenshots-3.jpg

Assassins-Creed-Shadows-first-screenshots-4.jpg

Assassins-Creed-Shadows-first-screenshots-5.jpg

Assassins-Creed-Shadows-first-screenshots-1.jpg

things get worse when you consider Ubi's tendency for bullshots

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yeah but like you said in the past, they can have that amount of physics because the graphical fidelity is shit so a cartoony tree breaking in 3 perfect parts every damn time is no biggie.

Noita has a physics system that is like 100x times more advanced than zelda but it also look 100x times worse, but it also physically simulate every damn pixel in the screen in ways that zelda can only dream of, it is the current physics king and it's not even close.

The final goal is to have photorealistic graphic AND physics.

You think sony, M or other big studios can't do physics? no they can't do physics while having high fidelity because it's a whole new ballpark.

Not to say that the zeldas are not impressive on a switch, but they also run like absolute shit the more destruction\physics\stuff on screen you have, but they clearly don't have the same goals as other devs on more powerful machines.

I was referring mostly to this made up excuse that physics come at the cost of graphics or because the PS4 gen consoles dont have powerful CPUs. Well, Zelda is doing PS3 quality graphics with PS3 hardware and in the end they had enough to implement quite possibly the most robust physics engine in the game.

It's clear to me that western devs just dont have the talent or desire to do anything with physics. Forget destruction. Just look at the physics based systems in virtually every facet of the game.

SlimySnake

Assassin’s Creed Shadows Has a Fully Dynamic Lighting System, Physics-Based Grappling Hook

Naoe can use shadows to render herself invisible, destroy lamps and other light sources, and knock out enemies non-lethally.

Basically Splinter Cell

I really hope it is not just a gimmick, and it actually adds to not only the realism of the game but also its art direction,

lol yeah if those are bullshots then we are fucked.

character models look so fucking bad. Or rather the material quality. I've seen PS4 games with better material quality on clothes/outfits. Thats why i think something got lost in the image capture. The detail is completely missing in clothes, no wonder the faces look even worse.

I am going to remain cautiously optimistic, or rather cautiously hopeful that the game will look way better than these screenshots. There is just no way they put in so much effort into revamping the gameplay systems only to phone in the graphics, but its definitely not the avatar caliber leap we were expecting. at best, we get horizon fw visuals with far worse art direction.

Last edited:

Xtib81

character models look so fucking bad. Or rather the material quality. I've seen PS4 games with better material quality on clothes/outfits. Thats why i think something got lost in the image capture. The detail is completely missing in clothes, no wonder the faces look even worse.

I am going to remain cautiously optimistic, or rather cautiously hopeful that the game will look way better than these screenshots. There is just no way they put in so much effort into revamping the gameplay systems only to phone in the graphics, but its definitely not the avatar caliber leap we were expecting. at best, we get horizon fw visuals with far worse art direction.
Well, some journalists have already seen a gameplay presentation and it seems like it's an evolution rather than a revolution, just a little bit better looking than Valhalla.
On a side note, I'm a bit sad that they have removed the eagle, that was the best way to enjoy the amazing draw distance in AC games.

H . R . 2

same thing happened in Mirage. there was zero cloth simulation and the suits/outfits lacked detail and the trend seems to have continued with Shadows

Games-ACM_Screen_Bagdad_20220910_10.20pm_CEST_Paris-Time.jpg

just a little bit better looking than Valhalla

is it?
at least Valhalla had the art direction going for it
look at her clothing items , you'll notice the similarity with the above image

Last edited:

H . R . 2

That looks good for a 2015 game
2015 game:

batman-arkham-knight-2d10fd4d64b942b5a5d3ad40fcc54840.jpg

off topic but I have some bad news for you, mate SlimySnake SlimySnake

Final Fantasy 16 Failed to Meet Square Enix’s Expectations

Despite the game's strong initial sales, Final Fantasy 16 has seemingly failed to reach Square Enix's sales expectations.

coupled with the fact that they are now "aggressively pursuing multiplatform releases", on Switch as well, you can kiss those engine upgrades goodbye

Last edited:

SlimySnake

2015 game:

off topic but I have some bad news for you, mate SlimySnake SlimySnake

Final Fantasy 16 Failed to Meet Square Enix’s Expectations

Despite the game's strong initial sales, Final Fantasy 16 has seemingly failed to reach Square Enix's sales expectations.

coupled with the fact that they are now "aggressively pursuing multiplatform releases", on Switch as well, you can kiss those engine upgrades goodbye

Good. The game kinda sucked outside of the pretty graphics and setpieces. I really disliked playing it by the end.

I dont think Switch 2 will hold back next gen gaming. most devs will move on to UE5 and will continue pushing visuals as the gen progress. Switch 2 will be treated like a bastard child a la series s.

Sony shouldve never moneyhat the game though.

Oh boy assassins creed… sigh…

Okay from this point forward I have rock bottom expectations for everything except PlayStation first party exclusives and GTA6. MAYBE gears 6 too. But yeah this gen is a wash. Games are just too expensive to make, too mass market, too lowest common denominator, too long to make now etc.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

since we are dishing out red pills

and the fanboys thought that the game was going to have similar CGi-quality visuals and facial capture

SlimySnake SlimySnake this might be good though, if it turns out to be similar to Metal Gear Rising
Of course, the RPG era of Assassin's Creed has demanded a robust combat experience, too, and that's where Ubisoft plans to let Yasuke shine.
"We want the combat to feel spectacular, so we've pushed quite a bit on having a lot of the objects destroyable or sliceable," explains Dumont.
The upgraded Anvil engine upon which Assassin's Creed Shadows is built can now realistically replicate the damage caused by every type of weapon,

from accurate sword slices to perfect arrow puncture marks. Think Fruit Ninja but with, well, almost every prop that's in Shadows' world.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

since we are dishing out red pills

and the fanboys thought that the game was going to have those CGi-quality visuals and facial capture

yeah, microsoft did that a lot back then because they were completely unprepared for the next gen consoles. I still remember the xsx reveal conference where they came with cg or prendered trailers for everwild, fable, forza, avowed and state of decay. this was 3 months before launch and they had nothing other than halo which was clearly not ready. they revealed perfect dark as a cg trailer soon after launch at the VGA. i guess the cg trailer was not ready. thats 6 games.

out of all those games only forza has come out and was downgraded to oblivion. MS execs literally fucked this entire generation. We mostly shit on sony studios making cross gen trash this gen but MS execs literally had nothing lined up. had to spend $8 billion on bethesda just to have something for year 3. we are finally getting hellblade 2 and avowed this year. it took their first party studios 4 years to release a next gen only game. This is literally their only job lol.

At least sony had insomniac, bluepoint and to a lesser extent GG put something together for the first three years. Phil really fucked this industry up good.

CGNoire

Ass Creed Shadows to be shown in 2 days. lets fucking go.

What do we think it will look like?
1) Next Gen - Matrix caliber visuals
2) Next Gen-ish - Avatar quality visuals
3) Cross Gen-ish - Horizon FW
4) Last gen trash - GOW ragnorak

These RT mods are faking it right? i dont think they do much and are just a reshade.
3 sadly.

CGNoire

same thing happened in Mirage. there was zero cloth simulation and the suits/outfits lacked detail and the trend seems to have continued with Shadows

Games-ACM_Screen_Bagdad_20220910_10.20pm_CEST_Paris-Time.jpg

is it?
at least Valhalla had the art direction going for it
look at her clothing items , you'll notice the similarity with the above image
Yep the Shader Quality looks to be DogShit.

SlimySnake

lol Sony just hired bungie’s Chief Technical Officer as the primary PlayStation CTO.

This is insane. Destiny literally has the worst engine ever. Jason’s article on it were legendary. The game itself looks just like the ps3 version did at launch.

All because Sony wants to go in on gaas and they actually believe bungie knows what they are doing lol

Basically Splinter Cell

Am I tripping I think those screenshots look good? At least the top one. Those are in game?

Last edited:

JCreasy

lol Sony just hired bungie’s Chief Technical Officer as the primary PlayStation CTO.

This is insane. Destiny literally has the worst engine ever. Jason’s article on it were legendary. The game itself looks just like the ps3 version did at launch.

All because Sony wants to go in on gaas and they actually believe bungie knows what they are doing lol

I thought that was weird too.

When we discuss bleeding edge graphics, no one ever brings up the Tiger engine. I've been so confused.

But seeing this move through the lense of gaas is depressing af. I HOPE this is wrong.

At that point, yeah, I'd be begging PlayStation Studios to use Unreal Engine 5. This move screams "we don't care about visuals."

SlimySnake

At that point, yeah, I'd be begging PlayStation Studios to use Unreal Engine 5. This move screams "we don't care about visuals."
I would feel bad for CTOs over at GG, SSM, Sucker Punch and even Insomniac who were passed on for a once in a lifetime promotion in favor of this dude who doesnt have a resume nearly as amazing as those guys.

Just sets a very bad precedent.

The PS showcase is supposedly on may 23rd. if they show up with games with last gen visuals, baked lighting and lack of mesh shader or virtualized geometry support then yeah, id say they definitely need to move to UE5. But looking at Avatar, alan wake, and even dragons dogma 2, its obvious that UE5 isnt the only engine that can do all those things.

Last edited:
I hope the good graphic is also hiding behind the shadows like the protagonists because this fucking ain't.
Lol
I’m basing it on your take. One of the reasons why I don’t give many takes in this thread is because there are some topics I simply don’t know enough about, so I choose to just not comment and let those more knowledgable than me comment, instead of me going around saying bad takes. If you have a better, more knowledgable take that I can learn from or show how I might have been off in response, feel free to share.

Also, in an attempt to help set a tone for our conversation, read my previous post in a non-combative, helpful tone. I don’t really have a good reason to argue in this thread 🤷‍♂️
This is my thread btw, the sister thread is on ResetEra and has input from AAA devs all across the industry and Yes.simple, current generation consoles have been out for 4 years almost and nothing matches that quality in any video game out right now. You have TLOU 2 (a PS4 game) that still looks and animates better than 99% of games out today and FIFA games (hair animation), but there is a trend of small indie developers out doing industry developers with 100 of millions of dollars on much weaker hardware using UE4 and older engines creating things that look and animate better than anything from AAAA developers…you have the developer of Marvel 1943 coming in with their team and putting the the big industry names to shame…

Last edited:
This is my thread btw, the sister thread is on ResetEra and has input from AAA devs all across the industry and Yes.simple, current generation consoles have been out for 4 years almost and nothing matches that quality in any video game out right now. You have TLOU 2 (a PS4 game) that still looks and animates better than 99% of games out today and FIFA games (hair animation), but there is a trend of small indie developers out doing industry developers with 100 of millions of dollars on much weaker hardware using UE4 and older engines creating things that look and animate better than anything from AAAA developers…you have the developer of Marvel 1943 coming in with their team and putting the the big industry names to shame…
Do you feel that any outside factors or other developments with technologies surrounding this type of progress, might have helped boost those same indie devs to produce those higher quality results?

To be honest he only become Bungie CTO in 2020 and it's not like the studio has released a brand new game where we can see his contribution.

Marathon is using an upgraded version of their Tiger Engine but their Gummy Bears project is built on Unreal Engine 5.

Michiel van der Leeuw, the Technical Director of Guerrilla could have been a good choice but he literally step down from his position as Guerrilla's Studio Director to focus only Decima because the roadmap for their engine is too ambitious for him to combining both jobs. He was probably not really interested in that position.

SlimySnake

To be honest he only become Bungie CTO in 2020 and it's not like the studio has released a brand new game where we can see his contribution.

Marathon is using an upgraded version of their Tiger Engine but their Gummy Bears project is built on Unreal Engine 5.

Michiel van der Leeuw, the Technical Director of Guerrilla could have been a good choice but he literally step down from his position as Guerrilla's Studio Director to focus only Decima because the roadmap for their engine is too ambitious for him to combining both jobs. He was probably not really interested in that position.
Interesting. maybe he will force Sony studios to ditch their inhouse engines and move to UE5 as well. I know everyone here would hate that but with how unproductive some of these studios have been and how much they are lagging behind other studios in terms of RTGI, mesh shader support and ray tracing in general, i think its time for Sony studios to leave their ego behind and move to UE5 like bungie, cd project, 343i, etc

Do you feel that any outside factors or other developments with technologies surrounding this type of progress, might have helped boost those same indie devs to produce those higher quality results?
Yes I do, Unreal Engine 5 is an example. Good tools help all devs integrate their game and vision much easier. The thing is, these big industry names claim to be working on next gen technology and engines, but we don’t see it with the current games. Certain games today do in fact use current gen technology, like RT, RTGI, Mesh Shaders, The SSD, Nanite, Lumen, Virtualized Geometry, but what games have actually made you say “Wow that could never be done last gen”??? Only a few games, (game demos included) have actually made me say “thats next gen!!!” Hellblade 2, The Marbles Demo (PC), The Matrix Awakens and a few more. Thats it. Sure games like HFW Burning Shores, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Spiderman 2, Avatar, Alan Wake 2 and many others look mind blowing also. I still think TLOU 2 looks better than most games out today…

SlimySnake

Did some tests in Horizon and Avatar to see which game has better destruction. Horizon has no destruction whatsoever in everything i tested. Avatar has destruction on many plants and ground foliage. Animals can also cause plants to break. Most big trees dont break. The only big trees that break are the bamboo trees that were not in the area i was testing but can be seen breaking in the gif below when a lightning strikes takes down a bunch of bamboo trees.

odLaqK1.gif

SlimySnake

This is awesome, reminds me of TLOU 2s forest level with Ellie and Dina on the horse but bigger..
Exactly. And not just bigger but also far more beautiful. One thing I feel Avatar doesnt get enough credit for is the art direction. Sure they had access to James Cameron and Weta Digital's art work for the movies but Massive's artists did a phenomenal job as well. Especially with the verticality and how massive the trees are compared to the more realistic trees in horizon, rdr2 and tlou2. they have these massive tree roots spanning across the entire world and make it feel so much more vertical than most other games.

I actually recorded this for you just now as i was trying to record the destruction footage. i love running over these roots and getting a speed boost.

you can also see just how dense the world can get towards the end when im jumping from tree to tree. I am a big fan of art direction in sony first party games, but this game is the first game where i can say the art direction is up there with rockstar, nd and gg. its not just a technical showpiece.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Did some tests in Horizon and Avatar to see which game has better destruction. Horizon has no destruction whatsoever in everything i tested. Avatar has destruction on many plants and ground foliage. Animals can also cause plants to break. Most big trees dont break. The only big trees that break are the bamboo trees that were not in the area i was testing but can be seen breaking in the gif below when a lightning strikes takes down a bunch of bamboo trees.

odLaqK1.gif

The thunders destroying trees isn't only during that campaign mission where you run to a place and there is a thunderstorm? Like a scripted moment?

Does it happen during normal gameplay?

It's hard to believe that they toned down the destruction from zero dawn with a more powerful cpu...

Fucking imgur doesn't make me post gifs, fuck.

It's the third gif in this list

The game should at least have all the destruction of zero dawn, so some trees, some plants, some rocks of various size, some small wood structures and some other things during some campaign missions.

In fw i saw stone pillars, trees and rocks getting destroyed by enemies, never tried to destroy anything myself, i thought the tech was at least on the same level of zero dawn, wtf?!

Well if you checked properly, it seems like you win this one, guerrilla did me dirty downgrading their tech in the sequel.

Last edited:
Isn’t Gummy Bear paused?
Yeah i think it's IGN who said it was paused because Bungie is pouring resources into getting Marathon out the door.
The thunders destroying trees isn't only during that campaign mission where you run to a place and there is a thunderstorm? Like a scripted moment?

Does it happen during normal gameplay?

It's hard to believe that they toned down the destruction from zero dawn with a more powerful cpu...

Fucking imgur doesn't make me post gifs, fuck.

It's the third gif in this list

The game should at least have all the destruction of zero dawn, so some trees, some plants, some rocks of various size, some small wood structures and some other things during some campaign missions.

In fw i saw stone pillars, trees and rocks getting destroyed by enemies, never tried to destroy anything myself, i thought the tech was at least on the same level of zero dawn, wtf?!

Well if you checked properly, it seems like you win this one, guerrilla did me dirty downgrading their tech in the sequel.

You're talking about destruction of wood structures and stone pillars like this ?

You can also destroy some stones walls :

There is also some trees who are destructible when you are flying :

I think the game have all the destruction of Zero Dawn but like the first one not every thing is destructible.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah i think it's IGN who said it was paused because Bungie is pouring resources into getting Marathon out the door.

You're talking about destruction of wood structures and stone pillars like this ?

You can also destroy some stones walls :

There is also some trees who are destructible when you are flying :

I think the game have all the destruction of Zero Dawn but like the first one not every thing is destructible.

Maybe they just toned down the small plants destruction (because i'm 100% positive that you could destroy at least 2-3 type of plants) or slimy didn't tested enough.

But yeah, those types of wood structures or like very small houses made of wood.

And the rocks were not just the pillars\walls in zero dawn but also singular small\medium sized rocks, there is a famous gif of a thunderjaw destroying this stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom