• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 - You're going to buy it, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
So I've seen the Yakuza 0 thread around these last few days, and as a result, it's been on my mind that it would be really cool if someone would do something similar for Gravity Rush 2 (GR2). Now yea, it got on GAF's top 10 anticipated list and it obviously has its fans, myself included, but of course not everyone is convinced. I'm somewhat lazy, so I was hoping someone else would magically rise up and make this thread. But that didn't happen. So then I figured... I guess I'll have to try and convince you myself.

EDIT: Review Thread is now up!

EDIT: Gravity Rush 2 OT is finally up! Go there to talk about the game!

(I apologize in advance for all the pics and GIFs in this post lol)

gUG2djJ.png

Now ideally, all I'd have to say is that no other game out there is going to let you control a clumsy superheroine that lives in the sewers, who can also fly around and control gravity, along with making use of comic book panels and a fake language all simply to complement the fantastical aesthetic that this game possesses. Maybe a few GIFs here and there would also help. But apparently that may not be enough for some of you, so I'll go into more detail.

------

What if I already planned on buying the game?

Then you're good to go, now convince others to do the same!

What if I haven't played the first game yet?

MH5V1Sv.png

Lol, then why are you here? Go buy it right now!

It's relatively cheap at $30.

Digital Copy from the PS Store
Apparently the AU version of the PSN store is having a sale on the game right now, pricing it at $17.95!
Same sale is going on for the EU version, this sale lasts until the 20th!
Amazon is the only retailer with physical copies, if you're intent on not going Digital. EDIT: Unfortunately, they've run out of copies. If you want a physical copy, you'll have to buy a used copy from elsewhere.
For those who would rather just watch the game instead of playing it (Or just want to see some gameplay first), here's both a full walkthrough of the game and its DLC (I of course would strongly recommend you play the game though.)

And lastly, while we're at it, a quick 4 minute recap for those of you who have played the game, but don't remember shit. It's a really good refresher, and hell, even those of you who haven't played the first game at all could comfortably watch it and be up to date for the sequel.

For those completely unfamiliar with the series, Gravity Rush is about a amnesiac young woman named Kat, who awakens in a strange world with a steampunk setting, where the cities also happen to be mysteriously floating. Shortly after awakening, she discovers that she possesses the ability to control gravity, due to her being accompanied by a strange cat-like companion named Dusty:

xVE4wYS.png

Throughout the game, she'll be attempting to find out exactly who she is and where she came from, and along the way there will unsurprisingly be various obstacles that stand in her way. Overall, the story is actually pretty interesting. The sequel in turn, is supposed to wrap things up. Pretty much all I can say without accidentally spoiling it for those who haven't played the first game yet.

Now normally, the whole "protagonist has amnesia" plot tends to feel like such a cliche. But surprisingly, this game makes it work. And that is largely due to Kat being such a great character. (Hell, she's arguably one of the best video game characters out there, why Sony doesn't have her as a mascot in some form I'll never know) While most amnesiac characters tend to be all moody, stoic, or constantly wondering who or what things are, Kat adjusts to her new life relatively quickly, and before long she fits rather well into the strange world she's found herself in. Despite her powers and strange appearance, she pretty much acts like a normal girl all things considered, rather than being extremely focused on recovering her memories and nothing else. As I mentioned earlier, she's essentially a superhero, and noticeably, she actually enjoys helping people! Which feels weird to type out, but it's refreshing to play as a upbeat, joyful character that isn't constantly bemoaning doing this and that.

But just because she's nice, doesn't mean she doesn't know how to be snarky too, or offer humorous moments through her inner thoughts:

cvyH13i.png

WMQvZ2k.png

What's also hilarious is that Kat is clearly not a pro at this whole superhero thing. In a way, she's basically getting the hang of her powers at the same rate you are. She of course means well, but her control over her admittedly destructive powers aren't exactly at the point where the citizens in the game can ever rest easy when she's around:

katkiill.gif

Now with that being said, it's probably better to have a superhero in your city than none at all, but throughout Gravity Rush and its sequel, you'll more than likely have a few laughs while wondering why people don't run away from Kat at first sight. But hey, it's part of the charm. Though I'll admit, Gravity Rush 2 has several subtle animations that indicate that she isn't as clumsy as she was in the first game, and is steadily improving, which I thought was a pretty nice touch.

What's the appeal?

Well as the name implies, the main draw of the game is the ability to control gravity. Said power can be used in multiple ways, like being able to throw objects through a stasis field. But what really gets people interested in the game is the fact that one can use that power to effectively gain the ability to fly, or as fans affectionately call it, "falling with style". Out of all the games I've played, none contains a traversal mechanic that is compelling as the one you'll find in Gravity Rush. The ability to just fly all over the place, and at a pretty decent speed mind you, is one that I've learned not to take for granted. I've heard a few people describe it as "dream-like", and I'd have to agree. When you play a game that can put a smile on your face just by you simply moving about, it tends to be quite the memorable experience. And GR2 gives you a big open world to do just that! And for those who claim to have open world fatigue and what not, if any game were to be an exception to that, I think it would be the game that lets you fly through it all, and has its gameplay so deeply intertwined with the world you've been allowed to explore.

s8BjPvA.gif

Hell, just merely going high up into the sky, and then allowing yourself to plummet downwards is another common joy when playing this game:

wSEMsgu.gif

Additionally, the world itself and the characters within it are all quite charming, especially Kat. I've seen people describe this game as having a Studio Ghibli-like appearance, and it feels pretty apt. The first game looked nice enough, but the sequel is just exploding with color in a way that makes it undeniably fantastic. No doubt, the cell-shaded, colorful graphics will make this game feel rather timeless as the years pass.

What's the combat like?

Well we won't know the full extent until the game comes out, but based off of the demo we have access to, as well as the first game, Kat continues to rely primarily on kicks, which can also be done in mid-air, using your powers to thrust you towards the enemy. You can upgrade a wide variety of your skills, from QoL improvements to how fast you travel using your powers, to boosting your attacks themselves. You perform these upgrades through the use of gems, which are scattered all throughout the world (An additional incentive to fly around and check every nook and cranny of new places you come across), and can also be obtaining through completing various challenges (i.e. timed races, killing a certain amount of monsters, etc.) Additionally, new to the game are Talismans, which are basically equippable accessories that Kat can use to augment her abilities. Some may increase the time it takes for her gravity gauge to fully deplete, while others might increase one stat, and lower another.

a7oLkPV.png

(I know, the UI looks great.)

One significant change that the sequel introduces is three new forms: Lunar mode, Jupiter mode, and Waterbender mode.

Lunar Mode makes you extremely light, to the point where you can jump really far distances, pretend you're Superman for a bit by gliding around, wall jump, or even land gracefully on objects you wouldn't ordinarily be able to, like a tree for example. This also introduces a new ability, the Wormhole kick.

M4hnOCz.gif

SEJjLMn.gif

Gravity4.gif

Jupiter mode in turn makes you extremely heavy, to the point where you can now throw weighty punches, compact your stasis throw ability, and most notably, you can now create shockwaves:

gravity1oqkyz.gif

Waterbending mode allows you to use your stasis field to collect nearby water, forming it into the shape of giant balls of water that you can then throw at your enemies. If you've ever wanted to emulate Katara from The Last Airbender, now's your chance.
Note: This is not actually a real mode lmao, I'm just messing with you guys. However, it is really cool and unexpected that the game allows you to turn even water into a weapon.

GR2waterglobs.gif

Any other neat features?

Well, there's a Photo Mode, for those of you who like taking pictures. You can also take photos of the citizens, who'll even react accordingly!

MlMCclB.png

Surprisingly, there's also multiplayer elements in this game as well:

5ZdzN2y.png

From what I understand, the online in this game is asynchronous, akin to games like Dark Souls.

So you can't interact with the characters like you would in a normal multiplayer game; they're more like ghosts or something along those lines. You can challenge them in races, battles, and so on.

How are the sidequests?

No idea on what exactly this game will bring us until it gets here. But if it's anything like the first one, I imagine the quests will offers multiple instances where you find yourself helping out the citizens. A good superhero doesn't just focus on the big threats that plague everyone; they also find the time to do the little things as well, even if it's something as menial as using your powers to deliver newspapers. According to the developers, there's over 50 of them, and will tend to be light-hearted.

Some of said quests even give you outfits, based on what the quest wants you to do. For example, you'll come across quests that have you temporarily fill occupations such as a singer or a waiter:

bIElrBz.png

How long is the game?

According to Gravity Rush 2 director Keiichiro Toyama, the game will take around 20-40 hours to complete.

And the music?

Well if the first game is anything to go by, expect a good, upbeat OST as well, and you can probably expect plenty of jazzy elements within it as well.

At the very least, you can collect accordions to your heart's content:

yNn4hTk.png

What about people who own a PS4 Pro? Any support to look forward to?

The game will support 4k on the PS4 Pro. However, there is no word yet as to whether or not we can expect additional benefits, such as a mode that runs the game at a higher framerate.

Here's further info on the differences between the Pro and the OG PS4 in terms of how the games run.

What if this game sells poorly regardless...

HtpUlvK.png

Maybe it will. Maybe it won't.
It probably will.
Regardless, they probably have modest expectations though, all things considered. My intention for making this thread is not to miraculously save the game from the perceived likelihood of it flopping financially. (Though that would be dope) I'm just one guy after all. But I came to the realization that I actually like the game enough to want to go out of my way to get more people to go out and buy it. Even if only a few people are convinced, that's fine by me. I think that's something many of you can relate to, just simply wanting others to play a game you like.

Now from what I've read, this sequel is supposed to conclude Kat's story. Now I don't know if that actually means GR2 will be the last game or not, but the way I see it, we're either giving the series one big last hurrah, or they'll do something else with this series that doesn't involve amnesia. Provided the sales are sufficient enough anyways... I think it'd be great if we got just one more game, at the very least, but first of course, let's enjoy this upcoming one.

So hopefully I've convinced you...

ah5Yeil.png

But yea, whether you pre-order it, get it Day 1, or after reviews (Although the review embargo for the game apparently lifts on January 10th? If so, great, a completely informed purchase is always best of course), etc. be sure to pick it up! At any rate, January 20th (or earlier if you don't live in the U.S.) can't come soon enough.

WhoppingEmotionalAntlion.gif

Trailer, gameplay footage, etc.:

Gravity Rush come to life - Cutest cat ever.
Free DLC arriving later in March, it'll let you play as Raven, a character from the first game!
Damn, Kat can sing.
Gravity Rush - Overture (The Animation) Part 1 (This bridges the gap between the first Gravity Rush and the sequel, if you weren't already aware.)
Gravity Rush - Overture (The Animation): Part 2
Gravity Rush 2 Demo Link (Old E3 build, just so you know)
Gravity Rush 2 Demo - EU Link
10 minutes of gameplay.
Gravity Rush Remastered OT
Random amazing mashup that you should listen to simply because it sounds great.

TL;DR - Buy Gravity Rush 2!

*Some of the Pics and GIFs in this post were obtained from various Gravity Rush-related threads on GAF, hope you don't mind if you were the creator of any of them

You know I'm actually on the fence still. ReVii and kh2.8 are locks for sure. I'll fit one more in because February is also 3 games so idk. It's between yakuza and gr2

Once it's under $30.
Normally I wouldn't mind paying full price since I love the first GR(bought on Vita and PS4) and I liked the GR2 demo, but I don't have a lot of money right now.

It's bought, baby. Fell in love with the Remaster last year, so I can't wait for the sequel. The demo already fixed pretty my all my minor gripes with the first game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Still working through GR1r, which I keep chipping away at every few months(for almost a year now!). Plan to buy the sequel when I do eventually finish it off, but likely not day 1.

gdt

I liked the first one. Needs way better mission design though. You basically followed the checkpoint and fought or just pick shit up.

Still, it was lovely to just move in this game. Great art and music and atmosphere.

Lime

Maybe on a sale, not as a day one purchase. The character designs turn me off and I wasn't particularly impressed by the demo.

The environmental art style is amazing though and I will definitely pick it up with once it has its first sale

KraytarJ

I'll get it eventually. I just finished the remaster a week ago and there's the whole Switch thing to worry about. But one day I'll get back to Kat.

robotrock

Banned
Tried the first game on both vita and PS4, but I could never really get into the gameplay, despite loving just about everything else about it. Might check out 2's demo, but as of right now, skipping.

Anung

Un Rama
I really want to. But I'm buying Resi 7 and supporting Yakuza Zero so I'm kind of strapped. That and I can't find a copy here in the uk for less than 40 quid. Most of my go to websites are charging 44 D:

I had no intention, literally didn't even consider it until I played the demo.

Now I am kicking myself for not preordering during the E3 deal. Gotta wait for a price drop though, Canadian game prices are a joke.

Garraboa

It's pretty much the reason why I'd get a PS4. If they get a cheap slim model out with this game bundled in, I'm set.

That thread title is just asking for trouble.

I intend to buy it, but not day one, since all the sites here are asking £46 for it. I'll bite when it hits a price more reasonable.

Xater

Didn't like the first one and this only seems like a minor improvement after the demo. The only way I'll play it is when it shows up as a PS+ title.

Maybe when it goes on sale, the original had some cool ideas but it wasn't exactly a polished experience. It left a bad impression on me by the end of it.

Looks great but the demo was bad and the first game (on Vita) wasn't too special.
Was gonna get it when it launched before the demo but I think I'll wait now

hydruxo

Wait, it's only $30??? Damn.

I loved the demo but I didn't even go look at the price for it so I just assumed it was $60 and told myself I'd pick it up later on when it dropped in price.

EDIT: Oh you're talking about the remaster. Uh yeah, in that case I'll probably wait.

Ogawa-san

On one hand, I want to play it on day 1 because it deserves it.

On the other hand, I'd feel like an idiot when it's inevitably 50% off two or three months later.

Zedark

Awesome thread OP, very illuminating I'd say! Definitely buying the game, looking for the best retail offer in the next few days.

Korigama

I loved the demo but I didn't even go look at the price for it so I just assumed it was $60 and told myself I'd pick it up later on when it dropped in price.
The remaster of the first game is $30 (Amazon-exclusive physical copies included). The sequel is $60.

I'm a pretty big fan of the original so yeah.

But after the demo, there are some things I think they should change. Obviously, let me drift so I can control the slide better. Also, I think Kat should be able to do higher slide jumps in lunar mode than in regular mode or jupiter mode.

I'll buy. Want to support games like this that are basically unlike anything else out there. Besides, Kat is one of gaming's most charming characters.

On one hand, I want to play it on day 1 because it deserves it.

On the other hand, I'd feel like an idiot when it's inevitably 50% off two or three months later.

Vote with your wallet if you want more games like this instead of another design by committee AAA game.

LotusHD

Banned

Nah, the first game is $30, with it being on sale in AU/EU apparently

Didn't like the first one and this only seems like a minor improvement after the demo. The only way I'll play it is when it shows up as a PS+ title.

The first one never ended up being a PS+ title if I recall correctly, so that will probably be awhile lol

This was also the option but the alternative was in her words " if you come in this house with 4 games a week apart my Valentine day Better make me feel like you will when kh3 is in your hands"

Breh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom