• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 - You're going to buy it, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifeline

Sorry, OP. I am not. I find anime really creepy and weird. I wish I didn't since that would open up many new games to me, but I do.

I know how you feel, i don't find Anime creepy, but just really annoying. I've tried to get into them so many times, but there are so many annoying tropes. I tried Cowboy Bebop since everyone says that's the best one, but even that one once the really annoying kid shows up i couldn't stand it.

I feel like anime based games aren't as bad. I enjoyed Persona 3 a lot, but Tales of Xilla went along those same annoying tropes with characters that just make you cringe and some that make your ears bleed.

Draikin 2

I'll also repeat, that I don't dislike the game. I enjoyed it on the Vita, but felt that it didn't really hold up on the PS4 remaster. I was not disappointed with the first game as the first effort, but seeing the sequel has made little improvement in many areas where I took issue is very disappointing. I wouldn't personally recommend the series.
To be fair, I do think it's a bit early to judge the game like this. There's a lot we haven't seen yet and the demo was based of an old E3 build. I do hope you'll at least take a look at the reviews for the game. I totally respect your opinion though, and I don't necessarily disagree with your points of criticism for the first game.

I know how you feel, i don't find Anime creepy, but just really annoying. I've tried to get into them so many times, but there are so many annoying tropes. I tried Cowboy Bebop since everyone says that's the best one, but even that one once the really annoying kid shows up i couldn't stand it.

I feel like anime based games aren't as bad. I enjoyed Persona 3 a lot, but Tales of Xilla went along those same annoying tropes with characters that just make you cringe and some that make your ears bleed.
Watch Fullmetal Alchemist or Hunter x Hunter.

Number45

Loved the first. Completed it on Vita but struggled for the platinum because I didn't gel with the controls for the racing - picked it up on PS4 and those problems went away! <3

Haven't decided yet if I'll get it day one or a little while down the line, but I'm definitely picking it up.

It's a shame that anyone would need to tell you why it benefits you to be polite, I was not rude to you, yet you did not show me the same kindness. If as you say, that you 'attacked my arguments' why did you need to call the games detractors (myself included) unintelligible and bad at the game? While you did address the arguments I presented, you obviously did not feel your line of argument was strong enough to support your own views, and felt a childish ad hominem would help strengthen your perspective. It does not, quite the opposite in fact, calling to question your ability to coherently, critically analyse and present your information.

I'm calling you shit at the game because you're claiming the game doesn't do XYZ (again, saying that the game's mechanics are poorly thought out) when it does and you're just incapable of figuring out that it does.

That's perfectly legitimate.

I'll entertain your perspective anyway; if being bad at the game is a valid counter argument then perhaps it's you that's playing the game badly. Watch any speedrun of the game, almost every boss, every enemy, is beaten merely by hitting gravity kick over and over, hitting the enemy as quickly as possible, and in most instances you manage to evade their attack patterns with your own relentless attack. Maybe then, it's you that is playing the game badly, making fights more complicated than they otherwise need to be. Generally speaking I don't believe a players ability reduces the value of their opinion on a game, if someone is bad, or better at it, their thoughts come from a different perspective but they're no less valid. With that said, I think rebutting someone's opinion with that line of argument is very odd with regard to this particular game. There are few games as easy to play as Gravity Rush, it's incredibly forgiving, and frankly, very difficult to be 'bad at'.

LOL

1. Speedruns are not indicative of gaming capabilities. You can speedrun through Dark Souls by running past a bunch of enemies. What mad skill, right?

2. Let's look at a speedrun then! Here's Yunica's bossfight from one speedrunner. Hey, wow, his gravity kicks are missing a lot and he's relying on special attacks to beat her. What a surprise!

3. You can be bad at easy games and from the sounds of it, you're very bad at this. And if you're spouting off incorrect information (and you were), your opinion should be discounted because you don't know what you're talking about.

You said before that I 'probably beat the bosses with special attacks' because I was bad, but is beating them efficiently, not better? First I am not good at the game therefore I am wrong, then I am using the wrong abilities and completing the boss fights too easily, therefore I am wrong. This line of argument is absurd.

Special attacks require no skill or thought. They automatically target enemies and do considerable damage: they're crutches.

And who says that your method is more efficient than mine? Special attacks take time to recharge.

Before I cited issues with the camera, and you somehow suggested that was seperate from the games gameplay. A camera, the item that controls your perspective is indeed, directly tied to its gameplay on a mechanical level, for the most part the camera in gravity rush is perfectly fine, but there are instances where it's a little unwieldy, and obviously, that does directly affect the gameplay during those segments.

Tied to in that you need the camera to look in a direction. But camera's are not gameplay mechanics. GoW has a great camera but that says nothing about the game's combat.

As far as transitioning between gravity alteration and sliding, while you can drop out of gravity manipulation into a near immediate slide, it feels as though you lose most of your momentum, this reduces any sense of fluidity between the two. I know I would enjoy the game more if it felt a more fluid, playing something like Titanfall and seeing your momentum transition between wall runs, and grounded slides provides a remarkable feeling, incredible control and fluid movement, something that I feel, Gravity Rush 2 doesn't quite achieve.

...who the hell is talking about dropping out of gravity manipulation.

Again, while shifting or gravity kicking, before you hit some flat surface, press both triggers. You don't lose any momentum. You don't stop shifting or kicking because you pressed the triggers. But you will start sliding immediately once you hit the ground.

As for the narrative, I actually enjoy the overarching plot, just not the writing, I could have made that clearer, but the dialogue and between characters comes across as very cliched and dull much of the time. Additionally, very little reason is given to care about any of the supporting cast members or world for most of the game, because the game isn't written in a way in which any interesting or personal information develops out of Kat's interactions. One of Kat's most frequent and closest relationships is with Syd, but you really learn very little about him, very little reason to care about his narrative arc.

That's just an example, but narrative is a much more subjective thing that other elements of a game, if you like it then I can understand that. I enjoyed many of the games major plot points, but not the typical dialogue between story missions and character development, which is a big component of the game.

I'll also repeat, that I don't dislike the game. I enjoyed it on the Vita, but felt that it didn't really hold up on the PS4 remaster. I was not disappointed with the first game as the first effort, but seeing the sequel has made little improvement in many areas where I took issue is very disappointing. I wouldn't personally recommend the series.

The game gives two good reasons to care about Syd: Syd's
Alias and Alias obviously knows Kat from before she lost her memories
and Syd
saved Kat when she was supposed to die

PaulloDEC

I'm not but I'll buy it new after a price drop.

ZGjc.png

Jachaos

I've got my eye on it. Great OP, though...

Journey's multiplayer wasn't asynchronous, and you definitely could interact with the characters like you would in a multiplayer game, in fact that was the core of the game.

LotusHD

Banned
I've got my eye on it. Great OP, though...

Journey's multiplayer wasn't asynchronous, and you definitely could interact with the characters like you would in a multiplayer game, in fact that was the core of the game.

Ah okay, thanks. Honestly I've never dealt with asynchronous online before, so I was struggling to come up with examples of past games that had utilized it lol

I'm calling you shit at the game because you're claiming the game doesn't do XYZ (again, saying that the game's mechanics are poorly thought out) when it does and you're just incapable of figuring out that it does.

That's perfectly legitimate.

LOL

1. Speedruns are not indicative of gaming capabilities. You can speedrun through Dark Souls by running past a bunch of enemies. What mad skill, right?

2. Let's look at a speedrun then! Here's Yunica's bossfight from one speedrunner. Hey, wow, his gravity kicks are missing a lot and he's relying on special attacks to beat her. What a surprise!

3. You can be bad at easy games and from the sounds of it, you're very bad at this. And if you're spouting off incorrect information (and you were), your opinion should be discounted because you don't know what you're talking about.

Special attacks require no skill or thought. They automatically target enemies and do considerable damage: they're crutches.

And who says that your method is more efficient than mine? Special attacks take time to recharge.

Tied to in that you need the camera to look in a direction. But camera's are not gameplay mechanics. GoW has a great camera but that says nothing about the game's combat.

...who the hell is talking about dropping out of gravity manipulation.

Again, while shifting or gravity kicking, before you hit some flat surface, press both triggers. You don't lose any momentum. You don't stop shifting or kicking because you pressed the triggers. But you will start sliding immediately once you hit the ground.

The game gives two good reasons to care about Syd: Syd's
Alias and Alias obviously knows Kat from before she lost her memories
and Syd
saved Kat when she was supposed to die

That doesn't make any sense. How can you say people who are clearing the game in the most effective way, are shit at it? This ad hominem is childish, and only reflects weakness in your ability to present an argument.

If special attacks require no skill or thought, aren't they an issue with the games mechanical design? Why are you suggesting that the game is mechanically sound, and then telling me that the way others play it is broken and they're shit at it because they're playing it what you consider to be the wrong way? If special attacks are the most effective and obvious way to clear a boss, people are going to do that, if spamming kicks are the most effective way to clear a boss, people are going to do that.

That aside I can't imagine most people were playing Gravity Rush with a competitive mindset, so whether or not they measured up to the your seemingly high standards probably wasn't a factor. At the end of the day you're telling me that this game is mechanically sound, but only if you play it your way, what utter nonsense.

We can even run with your line of argument if you like, let's say I, and all of the detractors are shit at the game. Why does that make their opinion less valuable? Is the ability to run past all of the enemies in Dark Souls, not a valid criticism of Dark Souls? I think it is, and I don't think people using it in speed runs and whatnot, are shit at that game either. This entire line of argument just comes across as completely unintelligible and impolite.

Also, no you don't retain your momentum if you shift into a slide, you go at the default speed of the slide, which often feels as though you've lost speed when compared to travelling through the air. The same is true even of simple shifts in direction in the air, there's a brief moment where Kat loses momentum and redirects, it's brief but it effects the sense of fluidity none the less. It's a valid criticism if people don't like that, I'm not sure how that's hard to understand. Again I only said that it does not retain your momentum, you go far faster in the air and do not retain that momentum when you hit the ground into a slide, and then after leaving the slide, you once again lose momentum to go back into gravity mode. That's just an example of something I dislike about the game, I'm not sure how you managed to missinterpret it as false. Even in the speedruns, they lose momentum when switching between slides and gravity manipulation.

To be fair, I do think it's a bit early to judge the game like this. There's a lot we haven't seen yet and the demo was based of an old E3 build. I do hope you'll at least take a look at the reviews for the game. I totally respect your opinion though, and I don't necessarily disagree with your points of criticism for the first game.

Oh I don't disagree with you and although I have tempered expectations of GR2 I will be picking it up with an open mind. I like Kat, the universe, and even enjoy the gameplay in spite of its flaws, so I'm sure I'll have fun with it.

Quillbell

Neo Member
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but while I have seen many people affirm that
Syd was definitely Alias, I can't say I ever got that certainty after playing the game (more than once). The way Kat talks about it especially seems really weird, since she refers to him in past tense, which I don't think she would do if it was Syd she was talking about. Also, the idea that Alias disguised as Syd aka himself seems a bit silly to me. That being said, Syd is definitely hiding something, as evidenced by this moment. But still, I don't think we know for sure one way or the other.
I think the tense weirdness is because she's referring to Alias in the past tense, since he's dead. So even if Syd is still around, Alias isn't, and Syd would have only "been Alias" when playing that role. That's how I thought of it anyways.

As for Syd being Alias, I personally think he is (though perhaps he's not aware of it). The game sort of fakes you out multiple times on this front. During the first gem heist Syd is acting really suspicious, and then he turns into Alias! But then it's revealed that Alias had been impersonating him. But...Syd still takes credit for the terrible gem-switching plan, and even does it again with the next gem. The game does the same thing when Alias takes off his helmet and shows Kat recognizing him, and then immediately cuts away before the player can see. They're setting up some big connection between Syd and Alias, while keeping you confused about what the reveal will be. I thought that was rather clever.

As for the narrative, I actually enjoy the overarching plot, just not the writing, I could have made that clearer, but the dialogue and between characters comes across as very cliched and dull much of the time. Additionally, very little reason is given to care about any of the supporting cast members or world for most of the game, because the game isn't written in a way in which any interesting or personal information develops out of Kat's interactions. One of Kat's most frequent and closest relationships is with Syd, but you really learn very little about him, very little reason to care about his narrative arc.
I enjoyed both the plot and the dialogue. The magical realism-esque contrast between the surreal plot events and setting and the down-to-earth normality of much of the dialogue interactions was great.

The biggest problem with the narrative is that you can see where the developers had to chop their story in half and tack on a quick ending to make the deadline. It's not very elegantly done, and it leaves you with a story that's full of buildup but very little payoff.

As for Syd in particular, since you used him as an example, I think his character development was a casualty of Gravity Rush 1 being half a story. We love Kat because we live in her head for the whole game. But Syd, I think, is kept intentionally mysterious. Kat the omniscient narrator outright says that he's going to have a big role to play (which as of the end of the first game hasn't been realized). That said, I think the game did a good job establishing what it needed to establish with Syd - that he's kind of a wiseass but at the end of the day is a good friend. The next game is free to either confirm of subvert those expectations.

Also I should say that not picking up on this, or disagreeing with my interpretation, doesn't mean someone didn't "get" the game. That's stupid. The story's kinda subtle, and that might not work for everybody.

Humdinger

Gold Member
although I have tempered expectations of GR2 I will be picking it up with an open mind. I like Kat, the universe, and even enjoy the gameplay in spite of its flaws, so I'm sure I'll have fun with it.

Good. Don't let humansarehorses get to you. I think he's hurting the game by making personal attacks on people who criticize it. One of the things I like about the game is the lighthearted and generally positive community of players around it.

I love the game but it's easy for me to acknowledge that it has flaws. It doesn't do a good job of explaining the move sets to players, and the story is a bit of a mess. Hopefully the sequel will explain things better. Personally, I didn't mind the story issues, because I wasn't taking any of it seriously. I was just going along for the ride, having fun.

I think the tense weirdness is because she's referring to Alias in the past tense, since he's dead. So even if Syd is still around, Alias isn't, and Syd would have only "been Alias" when playing that role. That's how I thought of it anyways.

As for Syd being Alias, I personally think he is (though perhaps he's not aware of it). The game sort of fakes you out multiple times on this front. During the first gem heist Syd is acting really suspicious, and then he turns into Alias! But then it's revealed that Alias had been impersonating him. But...Syd still takes credit for the terrible gem-switching plan, and even does it again with the next gem. The game does the same thing when Alias takes off his helmet and shows Kat recognizing him, and then immediately cuts away before the player can see. They're setting up some big connection between Syd and Alias, while keeping you confused about what the reveal will be. I thought that was rather clever.
I get that about the tense, but it still sounds weird. Especially since Kat sees Syd after that dream and never mentions it. Also, from my understanding, it was Syd's plan from the start, but Alias hijacked it to actually steal the gem. I think I would prefer if it was some sort of "split"-personality, rather than having Syd just lying to us for pretty much the whole game (and the second game too, from what it looks like).

Orcastar

The first game was OK, but I have no intention of buying the sequel on day one. Might pick it up once it goes on sale.

Quillbell

Neo Member
I get that about the tense, but it still sounds weird. Especially since Kat sees Syd after that dream and never mentions it. Also, from my understanding, it was Syd's plan from the start, but Alias hijacked it to actually steal the gem.
Well, the first time she sees Syd after the dream is about a minute before shit goes down during the final boss battle. But more broadly, she thinks it was just a weird dream. Or maybe she wants to ignore the possibility that Syd was Alias. I can't think of anyone else it could've been under the mask. And there's too much foreshadowing that it's Syd.

And yeah, the gem plan was Syd's. And it played into Alias's hands rather perfectly. Plus, during the second gem heist Syd mentions that there was a leak in the force the first time, which he uses as an explanation. But nobody but him and Kat knew about the plan. And even though only he, Chaz, and Bulbosa know about the second switch, Alias still finds out. There's one thing in common here, and that's Syd. His explanations don't hold up to any kind of scrutiny.

I think I would prefer if it was some sort of "split"-personality, rather than having Syd just lying to us for pretty much the whole game (and the second game too, from what it looks like).
That's one possibility. I think, however, that Syd knows more than he lets on, and that at least some of his goofy cop shtick is a front. In the final Gravity Days comic, he shows up at a confrontation between Raven and Yunica (which canonically happens while Kat is in the Inferno rift plane) pretending to be drunk, and breaks up their fight.

That doesn't mean that he's just been lying to us, though. Alias never actually hurt Kat. In the end, he did steal the sacred gems but he also pushed Kat to assume the role of a hero as well. In the dream, his actions even resulted in her being able to summon Dusty's panther form. What if Syd/Alias was serving as the villain to Kat's hero the whole time? He does say that she's exceeded his expectations, and that something's coming that she needs to be prepared for.

Whether or not any of that ends up being true, I think we can safely say that Syd has Kat's best interests at heart. When she's frozen by Yunica and the military, he's the one who rescues her. And she never even finds out what he did.

I was pretty disappointed and bored by the first game, so that's why, unless 2 reviews significantly differently, I won't buy it.*

*Am also downloading the demo

UrbanRats

The control method actually seems fairly essential to the theme of the game. If you controlled it like a flight sim, well, it would feel like you were flying. You're not supposed to feel that way. Falling is a distinct feeling that they are going for.

Technically, flying objects are still falling. :p

Pudd

Neo Member
Got to say I really liked the first one...and that was enough for me. Played the demo and it felt like more of the same. Yes it looks better, yes there are a lot of new features it seems.

But I'm not hungry for more. Don't think I'll buy it within 2017.

Redders

Not for £46 I'm not..

Managed to get mine for £32 when Tesco had a deal on pre orders and double staff discount. Loved the first but I wouldn't be day one if I had to pay the original price, I thought that would be a placeholder price and it would drop nearer release date. Doesn't seem to be the case though.

While the original vita release was (imo) severely hampered by its controls, the sequel looks like it'll finally deliver on that front. I had actually forgotten that it was coming out so soon, but I'll def. be picking it up.

wouwie

I'm buying day one though i'm surprisingly unexcited about the sequel. I enjoyed it a lot on Vita (had issues with some things though, mainly gameplay/combat) but it didn't have the same impression on me when i played the remastered version on PS4 (shelved it very early on in the game).

That being said, as a SP only gamer that enjoys unique and different games, i feel that i want to support the developer. And i'm sure i'll refind my enthusiasm for Gravity Rush once i start playing.

I bought Gravity Rush at launch (Vita), thought it was really visually impressive at the time but not fit for a handheld. So the next one coming to PS4 was a good thing, but having played the demo I can say I'm no longer impressed with the visuals now that it has to compete with PS4 titles.

The main issue though is that GR1 was a bad game. The basic gameplay loop was annoying and repetitive. GR2's demo has not convinced me things will be different in the sequel.

Dunan

Just realized that I had pre-ordered the Amazon.co.jp limited edition all the way back in July 2016 and then ordered the regular non-Amazon limited Japanese version in addition, so I cancelled one of them. After playing the demo, I'm pretty hyped to explore more of Jirga Para Lhao -- the demo won't let you get too far on any of the outer islands!

It does let you go to the lower levels of that main marketplace island, and to a surprising variety of nearby places, though. And why does the demo reset itself if you leave it paused, or leave Kat motionless, for more than a few minutes? I'm trying to transcribe what's on these street signs here; leave me in peace!

Also, the PS4 version seems to really be picking up steam worldwide -- Amazon.jp is also out of copies, with third-party sellers getting 5000 yen or more for it; well above the original retail price! Great to see this game finally getting some love; maybe they'll do another print run!

ZoddGutts

So this will be the final Gravity Rush game or have they hinted that they'll be a new GR game with new characters/setting? Someone mentioned earlier that this is Kat's closing story?

So this will be the final Gravity Rush game or have they hinted that they'll be a new GR game with new characters/setting? Someone mentioned earlier that this is Kat's closing story?

I don't think anyone knows at this point. There's certainly been no hints of another entry or different protagonist though, just a promise that they will answer questions.

cheesekao

Nothing's set in stone but in all likelihood, this will probably be the last Gravity Rush title we'll see. I liked the first one a lot but even I'm surprised that a sequel got greenlit with a bigger budget.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not day one, but I will when it goes on sale.

I played the demo and was put off by the performance at first, but when it ended I found myself wanting more.

void666

Banned
I've been feeling that open world fatigue for years. But i have a thing for open world games with unique traversal. Games like infamou and prototype.
I'm not into anime (and waifus), but i find the visuals in gravity rush very appealing. It's so different from what i'm used to see in open world games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom