• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 - You're going to buy it, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Op,please make the review thread, looking forward to it.

jmaine_ph

Predicting Gravity Rush 2 to get mostly 7's and 8's. Nothing short of a good game but nothing amazing.

I can't wait to pick it up.

Humdinger

Lotus put a lot of work in on this thread (which I think would make a fine OT, btw; just needs a re-title). Someone else should take responsibility for a review thread. Can't put all the work on him.

LotusHD

Banned

I mean, maybe lol

I dunno, I assumed that someone had already decided to do that lol

Lotus put a lot of work in on this thread (which I think would make a fine OT, btw; just needs a re-title). Someone else should take responsibility for a review thread. Can't put all the work on him.

Yea, if anyone wants to use any of the pics or w/e for the upcoming OT, feel free to.

Staf

Never heard/seen this game before. Looks cool, might pick it up since I've got nothing to play until Horizon.

Karu

No one's planning to do a seperate review thread?

Edit: Was asked already, ofc. :pP

First reviews seem great.

REVIEW DAY. Crossing my fingers the good reviews pile up and people take notice. USgamer went with a 4.5/5, which holds a lot of weight with me, and Eurogamer stamped it recommended. I'll obviously be buying it anyway hah, but those two are the two I would use to validate a purchase personally.

Just wanted to point to this quote from the usgamer review

Story Missions are incredibly varied and pack a myriad of activities: Sometimes they're quite mundane, such as queuing up to buy somebody a crepe (yes, really), or delivering party invitations, while others are spectacular set pieces involving Kat fighting armies of enemies, or even giant boss monsters. From the simple to the complex, I enjoyed pretty much every one. Basically, the designers use the game's mechanics very cleverly and creatively to deliver a broad array of different gameplay challenges that are either a lot of fun, or are so nicely wrapped up in the game's fiction that you're just utterly compelled to tackle them

Outside of the controls , I think one of the most consistent things I've spotted in the thread coming up was dissatisfaction with the mission design of the first game, or at least how repetitive it was. Just wanted to throw this out there then, maybe give a few people confidence that the mechanics are applied in a variety of ways with a nice mix of goals and objectives. As always though, take into account the reviewer, whether you tend to agree with his opinions and so on.

mollipen

I said basically the same in my review. I really like how they tried to get much mired varied in missions in GR2, and it made for a more enjoyable experience.

Zedark

Just wanted to point to this quote from the usgamer review

Outside of the controls , I think one of the most consistent things I've spotted in the thread coming up was dissatisfaction with the mission design of the first game, or at least how repetitive it was. Just wanted to throw this out there then, maybe give a few people confidence that the mechanics are applied in a variety of ways with a nice mix of goals and objectives. As always though, take into account the reviewer, whether you tend to agree with his opinions and so on.

Nice, that was my gripe with the first game. It needed more compelling quests and more advanced combat, but it seems to deliver in that regard. Can't wait!

KiteGr

The fist game was clearly "Rushed".
The Voice acting and cut-scenes were almost non-existant, there where tons of plots that resolved swiftly or not at all, the ending was sudden and unexpected and most of the game's combat moves were not encouraged and remained unused for most of the game, unless you where some sort of rebel and decided to do it regardless.

Despite the above, once you decide to make use of the rest of the combat moves to add variety, the game is a blast to play.

DunpealD

They also tried to do that with Side Missions. Having only done a little more than a dozen of them, so far there was quite some variation. At least one can see from the variety that the developers tried to bring as much different missions as possible, so at least there is no "climb tower" x 10.

Hanmik

They also tried to do that with Side Missions. Having only done a little more than a dozen of them, so far there was quite some variation. At least one can see from the variety that the developers tried to bring as much different missions as possible, so at least there is no "climb tower" x 10.

I hated those "stealth" missions in GR2.. those are just stupid..

DunpealD

I hated those "stealth" missions in GR2.. those are just stupid..

Not a fan of stealth missions myself. But I found them at least not as frustrating as the one in LoS2.
I also had at least 2 tailing side missions, but those felt more like going along a story than something like in MGS4.

I didn't like the first game and didn't bother to complete it because of this, so I'm not sure I'm going to buy the sequel since I haven't seen the story of the first game.

Actually, I would like to ask folks who have been playing the game, for review and so on. Do they make an effort to recap or tell the story in a manner so that you really could just played this game? I think that would go a long way for people who want to jump on but don't necessarily want to play something that was a vita game on their ps4 (the remaster). Or is it 100% sequel?

LotusHD

Banned
Actually, I would like to ask folks who have been playing the game, for review and so on. Do they make an effort to recap or tell the story in a manner so that you really could just played this game? I think that would go a long way for people who want to jump on but don't necessarily want to play something that was a vita game on their ps4 (the remaster). Or is it 100% sequel?

Well from the reviews I've read, several of them said they felt like you should play the first game first. Because while you can play the sequel and enjoy your time in it, there were moments where people that are familiar with the first one would clearly benefit from having the knowledge.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Good lord, the mission design in this game drives me up the wall sometimes.

Like, "OK, go deliver invitations to a party"

Fine - arrive at each of the three places and you have to complete tasks but those tasks are just boring or annoying. Playing hide and seek with some guy? Finding a balloon? Watering plants? None of that is fun.

Game is really enjoyable at times but then it can become just incredibly annoying the next minutes.

The stealth missions are god awful too. Horrible horrible choice (and I usually enjoy stealth).

Hanmik

there will be a video on Youtube ..

“Gravity Rush The Animation ~Overture~”

which supposedly will tell the story that led up to this game..

LotusHD

Banned
there will be a video on Youtube ..

”Gravity Rush The Animation ~Overture~"

which supposedly will tell the story that led up to this game..

Nah that just shows a bit of what happened right that sets up the sequel.

Nothing even remotely close to recapping the events of the first game.

Hanmik

Nah that just shows a bit of what happened right that sets up the sequel.

Nothing even remotely close to recapping the events of the first game.

ahh didn't read his post good enough..

yeah the latter parts of the game sure make a lot more sense for people who have played the first game.. and the game does not tell you anything about the vents prior in detail.

DunpealD

Well from the reviews I've read, several of them said they felt like you should play the first game first. Because while you can play the sequel and enjoy your time in it, there were moments where people that are familiar with the first one would clearly benefit from having the knowledge.

I agree with this. The first one already establishes characters like Syd and Raven and GR2 continues it like a sequel.

Okay! Fair enough hah. No issue for me of course, but might have been worth it for them. Of course, that's really what the remaster's function was so in their mind, they already did it.

And yes, I liked the overture but I really wouldn't recommend someone watch that as a means of understanding the universe haha it's pretty much the opposite.

How far in are you? The party invites thing sounds like the kind of thing that would be early game. Then again, I enjoy missions like these, that just let me spend a bit of time in the world and with the characters. Can't wait to queue up for some crepes! :p

LotusHD

Banned
Yea I know everyone wouldn't be able to (or maybe just don't want to) buy the first game, so I was hoping they'd be interested enough to watch or at least skim through the full walkthrough lol

---

As for the missions, knowing Gravity Rush, I wouldn't be surprised if they made you do mundane stuff like that very late in the game as well. I think I recall the first game having funny pacing like that at times lol

DunpealD

Like, "OK, go deliver invitations to a party"

Fine - arrive at each of the three places and you have to complete tasks but those tasks are just boring or annoying. Playing hide and seek with some guy? Finding a balloon? Watering plants? None of that is fun.

Game is really enjoyable at times but then it can become just incredibly annoying the next minutes.

The stealth missions are god awful too. Horrible horrible choice (and I usually enjoy stealth).

Not sure, but maybe the invitation missions aren't supposed to be that much fun and more of a Story element. Considering the fact that those tasks are not supposed to be fun.

I think the reason why the stealth missions are getting negative reaction, is because it restricts the freedom of the player to Gravity Shift freely.
Tbh. GR2 Gameplay system would make a horrible stealth game and platformer.

LotusHD

Banned
Another mention of sidequests from Dualshockers for those who are interested:

"While the main questline is great, side-quests, that often are overlooked or reduced to fetch and kill tasks in many games, received full attention from the developers, and it shows. For the most part, they're full-fledged mini-stories with plots and twists just as interesting as the main story. While they may be time consuming, I strongly advise not to skip any, first of all because they're a lot of fun, and also because they provide a better insight into the story, the characters and the world."

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/01...-colorful-bouncy-masterpiece-will-make-smile/

I could spruce up the OT more with some quotes from the reviews, but meh... that is just too much work. At this point, if someone's still not interested in Gravity Rush, then I don't know what else to do lmao

wapplew

Happy to see praise for side quest across the board!
Also, I think GR2 will do fine, it will find new audiences when the price come down a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom