• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 - You're going to buy it, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varg

Banned
Can see this game doing very poorly first month . Dumbest decision to release that week. It will be 40 in no time .

Ferr986

I've been wearing both equally. If you played the original Gravity Rush you'll notice some fun and familiar outfits unlock right away. ;)

Yep, know that :)

I just feels like white goes better with her design, like hair color. It's like how white Ulala in Space Channel 5 part 2 looked better than orange in 1 :p

It is an Amazon bonus in US.

In EU it's PSN exclusive (I think UK it's Game exclusive). I always buy physical...

maouvin

That's what I meant. Kat is cute, yeah. She is female, yeah. But I don't think she is a character that was designed or written to appeal to an otaku fanbase.

Ah yes, got it. Also, agreed.

Also, didn't recognize you with the "new" avatar :p (and the same would certainly apply to most of ye olde VitaGAF)

LotusHD

Banned
Yep, know that :)

I just feels like white goes better with her design, like hair color. It's like how white Ulala in Space Channel 5 part 2 looked better than orange in 1 :p

In EU it's PSN exclusive (I think UK it's Game exclusive). I always buy physical...

This is one of the few times where I'm not completely enamored by the alternate outfit, I like her black version a lot better actually.

Jocund

Hell, even describing it as Ghibli anything is somewhat crude imo, because it has such a signature and unique look, in part due to its influences from French comic books.

Not that it being described as being remisciecent of Ghibli films isn't flattering of course, but it sucks that that's the most common way to describe it, especially when attempting to get other people to get over their apprehensions/biases of it looking too "anime" or "Japanese".

You're right, Lotus. Now I feel dirty. GR's style is totally it's own thing, and doubters ought to repent or suffer broken backs, courtesy of Dark Kat.

I wanted to say everything looked very French, but since I don't have much experience with French animation I thought I was making things up.

RalchAC

Ah yes, got it. Also, agreed.

Also, didn't recognize you with the "new" avatar :p (and the same would certainly apply to most of ye olde VitaGAF)

Oh yeah! You were from VitaGAF too! I lurk the Vita thread from time to time, but there isn't much people from the old days so I don't post there :(

LotusHD

Banned
You're right, Lotus. Now I feel dirty. GR's style is totally it's own thing, and doubters ought to repent or suffer broken backs, courtesy of Dark Kat.

I wanted to say everything looked very French, but since I don't have much experience with French animation I thought I was making things up.

Lol, the only reason I even remembered that is because of all the stuff I looked up while making the thread.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Just preordered after getting the platinum in Gravity Rush Remastered - which was a very enjoyable and fair game to 100%.

I originally planned to wait for a sale, as I do with the vast majority of games, but I felt the need to support this game as much as I could, especially as I got the first for free on Vita then dirt cheap on PS4.

I felt a very rare feeling of happiness as the credits rolled, the sort I'd get when finishing games as a child. It's just such an uncynical and joyful game to play, that alone makes it worth my money.

Vic_Viper

Giant Bomb posted a Quick Look for it today and were pretty hard on it. I think the game looks amazing but do agree that maybe there really isnt that much variety in the gameplay. Still buying day one though. Between Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts, and this my week is stacked. Luckily I took my vacation week that week!

Anyone know who the character designer is? It looks really similar to the Bravely Default guys art. All of the art for this game has just been amazing. That box art alone would have sold me as a kid lol.

Anyone know who the character designer is? It looks really similar to the Bravely Default guys art. .

Hah, you think? I really love Yoshida's work. I don't know if I see the similarity, but both are great. Looks like it's Shunsuke Saito, which I admit only knowing from the little clothing illustration that was going about today haha.

Very nice OP, you've prompted me to move the first game from my 'maybe' to my 'definite buy' list
If I like it I'll certainly grab the sequel, no idea when I'll get around to it though

I still can't justify it at the price it's going for at the moment, even at the indie retailers.

It's definitely one of the priciest games out there at the moment, probably because of the wholesale price being the same as other PS4 titles and the game not being released yet.

I'm sure it's good, but I'm not itching to play more Gravity Rush to the extent that I would throw that money down at launch. If the game were less I'd have got it day one.

LotusHD

Banned
I still can't justify it at the price it's going for at the moment, even at the indie retailers.

It's definitely one of the priciest games out there at the moment, probably because of the wholesale price being the same as other PS4 titles and the game not being released yet.

I'm sure it's good, but I'm not desperate to play more Gravity Rush to throw that money down at launch.

How much is it for you?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely. Looks stunning!
Kind of want to finish up the original on Vita beforehand, but worried I'll burn myself out.
Might be best to leave it until I'm hankerin' for some GR on the go.

Great work on the thread, btw. This game is gonna be gif paradise.

Kind of want to finish up the original on Vita beforehand, but worried I'll burn myself out.

Get the remastered version duuudee....

LotusHD

Banned
£46 nearly everywhere I've checked, and from both indie retailers that I use (365games and TheGameCollection). If I find it for under £35 in the run up to launch I'll probably order it.

How much is that in US dollars again?

Thanks!

Well you definitely don't want to force yourself to play through a game, so yea, take your time on that. But yea, if you have the game on hand, definitely play through it before getting the sequel, the reviews make it pretty clear that it would obviously enhance your enjoyment of the game.

How much is that in US dollars again?.

That'd be a pretty meaningless comparison - the U.K. games market is different and all games aren't a fixed price like $60.

For instance, I got Splatoon for £25 at launch, and the price nearly all retailers went for was under £32 (amiibo bundle was £35). Final Fantasy XV was £42. Paper Mario Color Splash was £32 for me. Tokyo Mirage Sessions was £36. 3DS and Vita staff is rarely more than £30 at launch.

LotusHD

Banned
That's a pretty meaningless comparison - the U.K. games market is different to the others. For instance, I got Splatoon for £25 at launch, and the price nearly all retailers went for was under £32 (amiibo bundle was £35). Final Fantasy XV was £42. Paper Mario Color Splash was £32 for me. Tokyo Mirage Sessions was £36. 3DS and Vita staff is rarely more than £30 at launch.

I mean sure, but I was just wondering is all. :p

I mean sure, but I was just wondering is all. :p

Fair enough.

Point is, Sony's probably charging retailers the same as big publishers do for their major games like Forza Horizon 3 and FFXV, so it's going to be on the market at a top-tier price, which is going to reduce the number of people willing to give it a try when it launches.

I think Nintendo realised this with the Wii U as retail prices for more niche software fell about a couple of years ago, only the really popular stuff goes at >£40 in the run-up to launch. I think the last time I paid >£40 for a Wii U game was Super Mario 3D World three years ago.

I'm just not excited enough about GR2 (which looks like it'll be good but more of the same) to drop £46 on it. I was excited enough about Project Diva: Future Tone to drop £45 on it earlier this week, so it's not a case of me not wanting to spend that much on a game, though. And I suppose Sega only publishing it on the PS Store was a factor.

I bet if Gravity Rush was digital only and there was a credible indicator that Sony would keep its price at £45 (though Last Guardian's already down to £30 from £50) I'd get it day one...

Roussow

Having a great time the first game, been playing through it on PS4 over the last few days. I had it on Vita and I've tried to play through it a few times here and there in the past but I could never get into it for whatever reason.

It's got its quirks, combat gets a little awkward with the camera being a little too close when hovering (No camera sensitivity options kinda sucks, the gyro on Vita works better than the DS4 gyro here). It seems pretty reliant on the Gravity Kick ability, too. I kind of wish I could get real crazy with the slide powers and dodging, but the Gravity Kick is just far to powerful to pass over. It seems like the Gravity mechanics were focused on navigation foremost, and combat was secondary.

The sequel seems to address my problems though with the multiple stances. I tried the demo for GR2 before I started GR1 again and there seems to be a decent amount of variety to the combat this time round, and the stasis field ability is dramatically more useful in the sequel. Plus I'm liking the art of 2 more than 1 from what I've seen so far, 1 had these really intense one-colour pallets for each zone. While a lot of the characters and world looked nice, it was just fucking drenched usually in a super intense red or orange (at least early on).

Does the story really go places? I'm enjoying Kat as a character quite a bit, and how the world and characters react to her. Curious to see if how it wraps up, It's kinda the only reason I feel obliged to complete it before the sequel comes out.

LotusHD

Banned
Fair enough.

Point is, Sony's probably charging retailers the same as big publishers do for their major games like Forza Horizon 3 and FFXV, so it's going to be on the market at a top-tier price, which is going to reduce the number of people willing to give it a try when it launches.

I think Nintendo realised this with the Wii U as retail prices for more niche software fell about a couple of years ago, only the really popular stuff goes at >£40 in the run-up to launch. I think the last time I paid >£40 for a Wii U game was Super Mario 3D World three years ago.

I'm just not excited enough about GR2 (which looks like it'll be good but more of the same) to drop £46 on it. I was excited enough about Project Diva: Future Tone to drop £45 on it earlier this week, so it's not a case of me not wanting to spend that much on a game, though. And I suppose Sega only publishing it on the PS Store was a factor.

I bet if Gravity Rush was digital only and there was a credible indicator that Sony would keep its price at £45 (though Last Guardian's already down to £30 from £50) I'd get it day one...

Well, there's always sales and such I suppose.

Having a great time the first game, been playing through it on PS4 over the last few days. I had it on Vita and I've tried to play through it a few times here and there in the past but I could never get into it for whatever reason.

It's got its quirks, combat gets a little awkward with the camera being a little too close when hovering (No camera sensitivity options kinda sucks, the gyro on Vita works better than the DS4 gyro here). It seems pretty reliant on the Gravity Kick ability, too. I kind of wish I could get real crazy with the slide powers and dodging, but the Gravity Kick is just far to powerful to pass over. It seems like the Gravity mechanics were focused on navigation foremost, and combat was secondary.

The sequel seems to address my problems though with the multiple stances. I tried the demo for GR2 before I started GR1 again and there seems to be a decent amount of variety to the combat this time round, and the stasis field ability is dramatically more useful in the sequel. Plus I'm liking the art of 2 more than 1 from what I've seen so far, 1 had these really intense one-colour pallets for each zone. While a lot of the characters and world looked nice, it was just fucking drenched usually in a super intense red or orange (at least early on).

Does the story really go places? I'm enjoying Kat as a character quite a bit, and how the world and characters react to her. Curious to see if how it wraps up, It's kinda the only reason I feel obliged to complete it before the sequel comes out.

Does the story really go places in the first game? Somewhat, but ultimately it's going to (Dunno if I need to spoiler this, but)
end in a cliffhanger of sorts, with several intriguing unanswered questions. Hence the sequel, which according to reviews, wrap up basically every question you'd want answered after beating the first game. From the get go, the director had set on making this story be told in two parts.

Roussow

Does the story really go places in the first game? Somewhat, but ultimately it's going to (Dunno if I need to spoiler this, but)
end in a cliffhanger of sorts, with several intriguing unanswered questions. Hence the sequel, which according to reviews, wrap up basically every question you'd want answered after beating the first game. From the get go, the director had set on making this story be told in two parts.

I can see that being a massive disappointment if I had to wait like 4/5 years -- but heck, the sequel is literally right around the corner, that's fine.

Amazon UK now also lists the white outfit and a director's choice soundtrack as pre-order bonuses. However, the price went even higher.

Edit: Shopto also has the pre-order bonuses now.

LotusHD

Banned
OléGunner;228133279 said:
56 bucks at today's rate.

Ah, okay. I wasn't completely sure myself.

I can see that being a massive disappointment if I had to wait like 4/5 years -- but heck, the sequel is literally right around the corner, that's fine.

Haha true. Although to be fair, it's a Vita port, and the Remastered has been relatively cheap all this time, so it's not like some full-fledged game that has you feeling like you wasted your money. Even then, it seems like while fans obviously do want to see how this ends, people appear to be more enamored with the gravity mechanics (namely "flying"), as well as Kat as a character lol

Tygamr

Definitely picking this up. Was hoping to buy a copy of Gravity Rush Remastered to do another playthrough, but prices on that are ridiculous right now. And I don't wanna settle for a digital copy. I guess I could always just play it on my Vita again...

LotusHD

Banned
Definitely picking this up. Was hoping to buy a copy of Gravity Rush Remastered to do another playthrough, but prices on that are ridiculous right now. And I don't wanna settle for a digital copy. I guess I could always just play it on my Vita again...

May as well, doubt it'll be in stock anytime soon, assuming they even have anymore.

So does the game have HDR support? I really can't find a clear answer on this.

Not sure tbh

OléGunner;228133637 said:
48 quid on Amazon UK
49.99 on UK PSN.

Well, I might as well go digital on this for the dynamic theme perk.

What does that look like again?

What does that look like again?

Exactly 60 buckaroos.

Lol did the price go up i swear it was £46 yesterday on amazon

I read from other UK gaffers the other day it was 46 but yeah it's gone up a little now.
Might drop again by next week but not holding my breath.

The white costume is exclusive to GAME? ��

PSN and Amazon UK have it as a bonus too.
It looks a lot nicer than the US black costume imo.

LotusHD

Banned
OléGunner;228133815 said:
Exactly 60 buckaroos.

I read from other UK gaffers the other day it was 46 but yeah it's gone up a little now.
Might drop again by next week but not holding my breath.

No, the theme lol

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Get the remastered version duuudee....

I'm already pretty far through the Vita version. I don't mind the controls, and enjoy the portability aspect ^^

Thanks!

Well you definitely don't want to force yourself to play through a game, so yea, take your time on that. But yea, if you have the game on hand, definitely play through it before getting the sequel, the reviews make it pretty clear that it would obviously enhance your enjoyment of the game.

Good point. Would be nice to go in with full knowledge of any references, etc.
I'll try and dedicate lunch breaks to finishing it off. Probably only got around 7-8 chapters to go.

ty_hot

almost got the first one for the vita (didnt get because I was already planning to sell it)
I am waiting until its 10 or less in the PSN now
then probably gonna enjoy it and buy the second when it also comes down to sub 20-15-10 (depending on how much I like the first)

SomTervo

Honestly Gravity Rush is more than just typical "anime" stuff. From its sense of style to its characterization, it's unique enough to be closer to something like a Ghibli film. Ghibli-lite, if you will.

Wasn't it hugely inspired by French and Belgian animation? Like the Bellville Rendezvous, The Illusionist and Tintin.

There's even Western European music floating around the streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom