• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grimes - Art Angels |OT| Out now! Welcome to REALiTi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partition

Banned
AN6gVLz.png

iSEIDjw.gif
oe7XeHX.gif
MsUPQYm.gif
OnmWaFf.gif
rWRTxHQ.gif

tT8gJLl.png

Grimes is a Canadian singer, songwriter, producer, music video director, and accomplished musician. Grimes uses her talents to produce avant-garde pop music entirely as a solo effort, and in 2012 she released Visions; which New York Times called "one of the most impressive albums of the year".

Grimes is back with a new album, titled Art Angels, out on November 6th.
Spanning 14 tracks, the new album features collaborations with Janelle Monaé and newcomer, Taiwanese rapper Aristophanes. Art Angels was recorded primarily in her home studio in Los Angeles, CA, where she relocated to from Canada in 2014. Like all of Grimes' previous albums, Art Angeles was written and recorded entirely as a solo endeavor. The new album features more live instrumentation than ever before on a Grimes record. She plays piano, guitar, and violin, continuing her evolution as a musician and a producer for her most ambitious album to date.

Tour Dates ∆ Twitter ∆ Instagram ∆ Tumblr ∆ Spotify ∆ Facebook ∆ Web Store ∆ Official Website

yZSBNE4.png

mJ49J32.png

Art Angels was released worldwide on November 6th. Links leading to purchase options are below:

Stream on Spotify

Physical copies / LP
LP comes with 14 art prints, one for each song

zVjZoAn.png

Current Metacritic score: 88

The 405: 8.5/10
Visions put Grimes on the map as pop's pure misfit but Art Angels secured her tangible place as the genre's most unconventional star. For those that doubted, she's done that thing she does, but better. More defined.

Clash Music: 8/10
Art Angels is boundary pushing, it’s listenable and it’s Boucher’s most ambitious and most consistent work to date.

Pitchfork: 8.5/10 (Best New Music)
Art Angels is a natural progression from Visions; if you strained out some of the processing and murk of the latter, you would find these structures lurking. Boucher's voice is recognizable and familiar, but it's bigger and has more range and depth than on "Oblivion". This album foregrounds her, samples her, piles tracks of her half a dozen high to form melodies and countermelodies.

Exclaim: 10/10
Grimes has given us a complete record that's everything pop should be in 2015: utterly uncompromising, imaginative and, somehow, universally accessible.

The Needle Drop: 7/10
Grimes returns with a diverse, well-produced pop album that's both accessible and odd.

Billboard: 4 1/2 stars
Art Angels is a marvel of meticulous, even obsessive home-studio recording, uncompromised by bandmates or collaborators.

Pretty Much Amazing - A
Yes, this is in the loosest sense a pop album with enough ideas and melodies to fill a handful of lesser records. But no one would ever confuse it for 1989. Instead, Art Angels is the maximalist brainchild of a prodigious talent. It’s hugely entertaining. It’s delightfully bizarre. It’s refreshingly caustic. If anything, we’d be lucky if this, and not the forthcoming behemoth of booming balladry, were a guaranteed worldwide blockbuster.

Consequence of Sound: A-
Grimes’ fourth album, Art Angels, is simultaneously her most accessible and her least personal body of work. You could trace lines into Boucher’s own narratives in the ragged edges of her first three LPs; you could find the details of her hurt and fold them into your own hurt. But Art Angels is pure Grimes — performative, maximalist, joyful, and broad.

Now Magazine: Perfect
Art Angels is a major victory for deep weird.

The A.V. Club: A-
It’s slick and gritty, fun and funny, and horrifying and grotesque all at once. It will also make you shake your ass like nothing else.

New Musical Express (NME): 4/5
By embracing the pop orthodoxy, you might argue that Boucher has sacrificed some of what made her seem so alien when 4AD debut 'Visions' emerged from the ether back in 2012, but rest assured: she's still laughing and not being normal, only this time, it's all the way to the bank.

gGS0zsM.png

pre-loader.gif
pre-loader.gif
pre-loader.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The track titles don't look well on black theme gaf. But nice OT overall and perched.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't like Flesh without Blood at all so colour me disappointed, but maybe I'll grow to love it like I did with Go.

Frodo

I love the video for Flesh Without Blood.

Written, Directed, Cut, Coloured, and Art Directed by Grimes.

Is there something she can't do?

The track titles don't look well on black theme gaf. But nice OT overall and perched.

The OT shows you your evil ways.

I can't believe how much Flesh Without Blood has grown on me. Really wasn't feeling it originally and now I'm hooked. I'm really happy that there seems to be a great mixture of song styles in the album.

Ran rp

I thought Realti was a throwaway track/she didn't like it? Well it's much better than FWB so I'm glad it made the album.

edit: o shit, janelle monae??

Galang

Banned
This has been my most anticipated album since forever! Can't wait. I'm so-so on flesh without blood, but Realiti is actually my favourite song by her overall

overcast

This should be a surprisingly fun thread given the reaction to the first single.

Interested to hear this project finally.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I was a bit of a Grimes hater when she blew up but these new songs are great so I want this album I think.

Blader

Damn, Realiti is really good. Shame that it's not on the album -- and if it was indicative of what her scrapped album would've sounded like, then that's doubly disappointing.

Flesh Without Blood is okay. Felt simultaneously kind of annoying but also catchy. Maybe it'll grow on me more.

Partition

Banned
Damn, Realiti is really good. Shame that it's not on the album -- and if it was indicative of what her scrapped album would've sounded like, then that's doubly disappointing.

Flesh Without Blood is okay. Felt simultaneously kind of annoying but also catchy. Maybe it'll grow on me more.

It's on the album, remastered. The demo version is a bonus track on the LP.

Partition

Banned
Apparently Scream is now on iTunes in some countries (?) I don't see it on US but I'll update the OP when I can verify this. The track leaked earlier on Soundcloud today.

andymcc

Banned
i've never ordered from 4AD directly but do i get the digital download on Nov 6 and the Vinyl when it ships if i preorder?

Futureman

is there anyway to get her older stuff on vinyl? Looks like CD might be the only option for "Geidi Primes" but I haven't bought a CD is so long. Maybe just buy the MP3 album I guess.

big ander

It's alright. Not my favorite but it's just a transitional track I suppose. No disrespect to Aristophanes but I think I like the all Grimes version she does for her show a lot more >.> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XT2_sivI_w&feature=player_embedded
wow this version is a lot better. More energetic. It's hard to competently judge rapping in a language you don't speak, but Aristophanes definitely sounds way too laid-back for a beat this propulsive.
is there anyway to get her older stuff on vinyl? Looks like CD might be the only option for "Geidi Primes" but I haven't bought a CD is so long. Maybe just buy the MP3 album I guess.
Both are OOP and available thru resale online, discogs has Halfaxa and Geidi Primes for ~$150 and holy-shit-$400 respectively though, so. I'd just pray for reissues.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like Flesh without Blood at all so colour me disappointed, but maybe I'll grow to love it like I did with Go.
I think it's a great song. Listen to it on Tidal if you can, higher quality really helps it.

I made a simple remix of it (not completely done yet).

;_; Not up on iTunes in Australia.

I had the same issue. I searched the track on iTunes and hit the "purchase" button even though I think it just downloaded as part of my preorder. You can always email iTunes Store support and they'll do something, as it does show up on the tracklist and you can preview it.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Scream goes in fucking hard good lord
2/2 with me so far (3/3 if we count realiti but I don't know how much the album version will change)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Wish this was streaming somewhere. I like FWB a lot but I hate Scream and I really dislike all of Visions so I don't want to buy this before I hear all of it.

Futureman

Wish this was streaming somewhere. I like FWB a lot but I hate Scream and I really dislike all of Visions so I don't want to buy this before I hear all of it.

well it will be streaming when it releases. It's not out yet. You don't HAVE to preorder it.

Saw her live yesterday and I'm digging Venus Fly and Kill V Maim. Very high-energy compared to Visions, but the choruses on them are on point.

As someone who only recently started listening to Grimes, definitely becoming one of my favourite artists. Halfaxa and Visions are both amazing albums. So looking forward to the new one (realiti is one of the best songs ever imo).

So much so actually going to see her in March next year (the reason I started listening to her).

I really only know Visions, but if I'm honest, I only like the first three tracks. I do like that new track though, so I'll probably give this a spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom