• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grimes - Art Angels |OT| Out now! Welcome to REALiTi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partition

Banned
Haters gonna hate hate hate

I feel the same as this write up on Reddit:

It's closer to early 00s poppy. It reminded me of early Nelly Furtaco, that old early-90s synth-goth outfit nobody remembers called Kiethevez, mid 00s electro bands like Electrocute (who also have a song called Venus Fly Trap), and a whole lotta older jpop. It's like all of that stuff, but wayyy more polished and produced. Motherfuckers are gonna haaate it. Venus Fly is like slowed down Hardstyle Techno with glimpes of Daft Punk and some Gwen Stefani. Like, if you haven't ever heard any of this stuff before, it could seem like the most revolutionary pop album this year, but it's a mish-mash of pop/synthpop's past, only way better produced. Even with a 128kb mp3 it still sounds more polished than any pop thing released this year or last. Still. Motherfuckers are gonna hate it. I like all that stuff I mentioned, so this album is fucking great to me. What Jamie xx did to electronic music Grimes is doing to pop. Taking older styles and flipping them in her own way.
Lyrically, it's fucking fantastic, with some kinda cringey lines at times (California being the most cringey). It's subtly subversive despite it sounding so unabashedly apologetically bubblegum. She went there.

Courage

This is alright. I expected something more along the lines of Visions, so I'm disappointed that she took a poppier approach. Good thing she's got a knack for making some catchy songs, so this album works a lot of the time.

chaislip3

Eh...it's okay. The song with Janelle Monae is good and I like Kill v Maim well enough, but man Realiti changed for the worse. Really disappointing because I thought the demo was her best song.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
New version of Realiti is even better than the amazing demo. The new vocals are sublime.

She had to recreate Realiti, I think she did a good job considering the original files were apparently lost.

And if this is a bad album, some of you have some really crazy standards. I imagine your faves are putting out fucking masterpieces then.

Partition

Banned
She had to recreate Realiti, I think she did a good job considering the original files were apparently lost.

And if this is a bad album, some of you have some really crazy standards. I imagine your faves are putting out fucking masterpieces then.

Really curious about what albums these people are listening to that say this is terrible.

Really curious about what albums these people are listening to that say this is terrible.

I'm not sure what people were expecting from fucking GRIMES. She's always been quirky. She loves pop music. This album is pretty much a collaboration of her experimental side with her love of pop music. It kills.

teepo

Why is it garbage exactly? Because coming into the thread saying something is trash without backing it up as to WHY you feel that way is just drive by shit posting.

because it sounds exactly like the shitty type of pop music that would be tacked on to the ending credits of a edgy child movie from the 90s?

Yado

because it sounds exactly like the shitty type of pop music that would be tacked on to the ending credits of a edgy child movie from the 90s?

!!!!
This sums up exactly how I feel about it. It's quite possible that's what she was going for but...eh.

Kevtones

Going to get this however...

The best song right now is:

Floating Points - Silhouettes I, II & III

Get the 10+ full version please. Trust me.

I disagree. Art Angels totally has the same vibe as Charli XCX's Sucker and Sky Ferreira's Night Time, My Time. A great album with a unique and quirky take on the pop genre. Can't wait to see her live and kill it.

People were also saying Carly Rae Jepsen's new album was trash, just because it's a pop album by the artist who sung Call Me Maybe and had a 90s vintage vibe. That's the entire charm of the record and it's one of the best pop albums of 2015.

FartOfWar

Banned

Yes, only we don't call them "favs" or use the term "haters."

I disagree. Art Angels totally has the same vibe as Charli XCX's Sucker and Sky Ferreira's Night Time, My Time. A great album with a unique and quirky take on the pop genre. Can't wait to see her live and kill it.

People were also saying Carly Rae Jepsen's new album was trash, just because it's a pop album by the artist who sung Call Me Maybe and had a 90s vintage vibe. That's the entire charm of the record and it's one of the best pop albums of 2015.

smh

see me after class

Galang

Banned
Uh some of these impressions have me kind of worried to be honest. I can't imagine how she could even ruin realiti, that's my favourite track this year. I'll wait to judge, but I'm hoping there's at least one or two synthy eargasmic tracks on this record.

Monocle

Uh some of these impressions have me kind of worried to be honest. I can't imagine how she could even ruin realiti, that's my favourite track this year. I'll wait to judge, but I'm hoping there's at least one or two synthy eargasmic tracks on this record.
From what I've heard on Youtube, people are just indulging in reductive hyperbole, as usual. Sounds like a solid album to me.

Partition

Banned

World Princess Part 2 and Venus Fly are those tracks

The rough DIY-ness of her previous albums is sort of what I think of when I think of Grimes. I've only listened to Art Angels once and it does feel weird, like more traditional pop than that I fell in love with when I first heard Genesis.

I do think it will grow on me, most of her stuff has evolved over time, I didn't even like Vanessa the first time I heard it.

This is a great post.

Servbot24

Banned
On my first listen, this is absolutely mind-blowing so far

So glad Grimes has moved on from that non-descript, wishy-washy, reverb-happy, noncommittal tripe she used to do.

I refuse to believe that anyone didn't like Emotion. Aside from your typical "pink floyd and bon iver are real music!" people.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Emotion is flawless. Carly is my bae.

Really not into California, but enjoying the rest. World Princess Pt 2 is just great, and I like to think Angelica Pickles is singing Kill V Maim :p.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Best tracks:

California
Flesh Without Blood
Kill V. Maim
Pin
Realiti (the original version is better though)
World Princess Part II
Butterfly

Partition

Banned
The new Realiti is better. I thought I preferred the old one too but its really just a matter of getting used to the new one. She's put more personality into the vocal (in the chorus) and the new extended outro is amazing. Demo is boring in comparison.

Just got home and saw it was up on Google Play Music.

Went straight to Realiti since the demo has been maybe my favorite track of the year so far.

It's definitely different, but man I really do like it. I don't know if it's better or not, but I don't think I care.

It's poppier, while the demo has the more comparatively raw feel to it (obviously).

I think they can both perfectly coexist in my library.

Can't wait to hear more.

Mission

I stopped after Realiti and will finish tomorrow. I wasn't happy with what I was hearing, and I even liked the Realiti demo, and love the new Purity Ring so it's not like I'm stuck on things being weird.

Maybe I'll like it more tomorrow. But at the moment I'm going to bed disappointed.

Floridian

World Princess part 2, Butterfly, & California are the trinity. One of the better pop releases this year.

edit; bonus for easily too.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't really like it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom