• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grimes - Art Angels |OT| Out now! Welcome to REALiTi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I adore Grimes, she's one of my favorite artists currently. I've been waiting for this album and it did not disappoint. Absolutely love it. Even more than Visions, which I listen to constantly.

Partition

Banned
Really good alternative cover art (fan made)

sriOLH.jpg

Actually it's definitely meant for headphones. The production is so layered (as is all Grimes songs) that it can be hard to pick up on the vocals when using speakers because of the bass.

I really disagree. There's a certain frequency range emphasized by the compression/mixing/EQing that exactly matches the optimum range for phone/laptop speakers, so the key elements - vocals, beats, chords - all come through. And she said in interviews that she listened to the album a lot on laptop speakers while mixing.

I do agree that there's a lot of bass in the recordings, but something about the way the vocals and highs are compressed so hard and EQed so thin makes them really fatiguing to listen to. This is probably the shallowest complaint about the album possible, but stuff like this bothers me. The demo version of Realiti on YouTube is much easier to listen to for me.

I was really hoping janellegrimesphotography.com was nothing but pictures of JM and Grimes on vacation having fun together, but alas, it's just some lame two-bit photography studio.

http://janellegrimesphotography.com/galleries.html

Can somebody make what I want? I need to see more pictures of the two coolest chicks in music together. This is like when David Bowie and Freddy Mercury got together and wrote Under Pressure, except that this is important.

This might be the best post I've ever seen on GAF.

okno

I really disagree. There's a certain frequency range emphasized by the compression/mixing/EQing that exactly matches the optimum range for phone/laptop speakers, so the key elements - vocals, beats, chords - all come through. And she said in interviews that she listened to the album a lot on laptop speakers while mixing.

I do agree that there's a lot of bass in the recordings, but something about the way the vocals and highs are compressed so hard and EQed so thin makes them really fatiguing to listen to. This is probably the shallowest complaint about the album possible, but stuff like this bothers me. The demo version of Realiti on YouTube is much easier to listen to for me.

Why the fuck would anyone ever do this? What the ever loving fuck is the point of doing this?

It's not really my thing, compared to Visions, but it's undeniably well articulated. Sadly, outside of a handful of tracks, it doesn't really speak to me, make me feel much of anything... I mostly just find myself thinking "that was well done", from moment to moment.

Venus Fly, though, is fucking hectic. Would justify the album to me on its own, I swear.

Davey Cakes

As a fan of Grimes' prior work, I wasn't thrilled with Art Angels on first listen.

I'll give it another go. Maybe I need to expand my mind a bit.

The album just seemed a little...over the top, perhaps?

Haven't read a single review.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This title track is just fantastic. Best production on the album I think, sums up the whole idea pretty well.

Partition

Banned
This title track is just fantastic. Best production on the album I think, sums up the whole idea pretty well.

I agree. I don't understand how people can not like it. At least appreciate the lyrics, they are beautiful.

The bridge blows my mind every time. The production is so full and layered ;_;

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Album's grown on me. Not quite up there with E . mo.tion, Desired Effect and Rebel Heart for top 2015 releases but a nice aural antidote to Adele's dull single Goodbye.

Meneses

After listening to it some more, Pin is probably my favorite song in this album.

Of course, the best song isn't even in there, Realiti's Demo. I hope it's eventually purchaseable in some form.

I've also been listening to her older stuff and it really is quite different. I think I like about half of every album - I never went "ok, this was great from beginning to end" but there were quite a few good songs.

I'm going to keep an eye on her future stuff, for sure.

I love the album but I just can't get into the new version of Realiti. The new version definitely fits in with the rest of the album much more than the demo would have, but the demo was really perfect just as it was. There's just something really beautiful in the simplicity of the original.

Davey Cakes

REALiTi is a pretty decent pop song. Might be my favorite on the album.

This album will need some repeated listens. Maybe a few. I'm not sure if I'll be able to convince myself, though.

At heart, I want more of the Geidi Primes direction, but I respect Grimes for embracing an evolution of sound.

NeatoKuni

Art Angels is my favorite album this year. (followed by CryBaby) I'm gonna be that one friend who tries to get everyone to listen to their music.

I'm so tempted to make this my new icon, lmao.
12239539_1938843833006951_4291912895061186718_n.jpg

This album doesn't sound anything like Chvrches. Not even in the same genre. Grimes does her own thing and her sound on this album is much more retro than anything Chvrches has ever put out. I love Chvrches (well, the new album not so much) but Lauren has nothing on Claire.

Art Angels is PURE Grimes through and through. It's quirky and irresistibly charming.

It does sound a little bit like Churches or else I wouldn't have thought 'hm, this sounds vaguely like churches' when I first put it on today.

I liked Churches first album at the time, but for some reason I can't even listen to their second album. It's just wayyyy too sweet and poppy. Some songs of this new Grimes album I don't like that much, like California, cos they're kind of generic.

It sounds more like Grimes than anything else, but there's no point in denying it's less distinctive than her other stuff. She's taking influences and gravitating slightly towards the mainstream.

I like the second half of the album better at the moment.

Dany

Banned
I really cant with the chvrches comparisons. They sound so different. Yeah theyre synth pop, but beyond that ...

I really cant with the chvrches comparisons. They sound so different. Yeah theyre synth pop, but beyond that ...

it isn't that she sounds like churches on this album, it's just that she's moved closer to that sound a little and there are moments, little batches of seconds here and there, that made me go 'hmm, i've heard this before'. it isn't just churches, it's also some very mainstream pop music.

i mean, i like the album overall. i think california is terrible but i like some of the other songs a bunch, so i'm not trying to say one thing or another except that yeah it is poppy and it bears more comparison to other music than i expected.

Robot Pants

This album is definitely better than visions.
Vanessa has been my fsvorite song of hers for a long time but when Flesh Without Blood came out I had that song on repeat all day. I've basically burnt myself out on it so it doesn't have the same effect on me it did before but I still love it. I wasn't really feeling the rest of the album but I kept listening again and again and I love just about every song aside from maybe two.

Scream
Flesh Without Blood
Kill V Maim
World Princess Pt 2
Venus Fly

Are all so good

Alucrid

Banned
gave it listen

like: california, flesh without blood, belly of the beast, pin, realiti, world princess part ii, venus fly

dislike: scream

neutral: the rest

is that grimes singing the chorus to venus fly?

Partition

Banned
This album is definitely better than visions.
Vanessa has been my fsvorite song of hers for a long time but when Flesh Without Blood came out I had that song on repeat all day. I've basically burnt myself out on it so it doesn't have the same effect on me it did before but I still love it. I wasn't really feeling the rest of the album but I kept listening again and again and I love just about every song aside from maybe two.

Scream
Flesh Without Blood
Kill V Maim
World Princess Pt 2
Venus Fly

Are all so good

your list is missing Butterfly but yeah ia

LOLDSFAN

Liked the first 5 songs.

Didn't care for the rest.

Wish the first track lasted a little longer. The Mandarin in the fourth track is annoying but the little base parts make up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom