• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grimes - Art Angels |OT| Out now! Welcome to REALiTi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphahawk

I'm listening to this for the first time and the first few tracks don't really do much for me (with the exception of "California" I guess) After "Scream" though it's really nice (although I want to be clear the actual "Scream" is awful)

This is my first exposure to Grimes and I kinda like it. Might check out some of her older stuff. I really dig that this kinda thing is taking off in the mainstream now.

Fuck the Scream hate! People just bouncing off the Cantonese verse. The lyrics are raw, like to the song, I think the venomous delivery is perfect.

Alphahawk

Haha just got to Butterfly, for some reason it really reminds me of some a late 90s, early 2000s, European quasi-boy band would do. That's a compliment btw.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Scream is great. Seems like it would lend itself very well to having a video attached to it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Scream is shit. Only track I skip on the otherwise flawless album.

Futureman

Scream is such an insane, amazing track. Blasting it as loud as possible is essential IMO to enjoy it.

+1 for Scream! HURRRAH!!!

Monocle

Scream is the worst song I've ever heard.

Sorry, just trying to keep the pattern going. thisisneogaf.gif

Not

Banned
This is like up there on my favorite albums of the year. Already.

It's already blown past Kendrick, Early November, CHVRCHES, and Passion Pit and is knocking on Carly Rae's door

EDIT: To keep the pattern going, Scream is brilliant

Futureman

Don't agree AT ALL it's an awesome track IMO. "laughing and not being normal" and "life in the vivid dream" are interludes. Not "Scream." Are you only saying that because the lyrics aren't in English??

Steamlord

Now that I've had some time to digest the album and judge it on its own merits rather than comparing it to Claire's past work (I still prefer her first two albums), it's grown on me a lot. Kind of the same thing I went through with Purity Ring, although Art Angels is way better than Another Eternity.

Also I think Pin may have overtaken Kill V. Maim as my favorite track. Nobody talks about Pin. Why does nobody talk about Pin? That song is aces.

Partition

Banned
Her delivery on the Pin verses is fire. I like the chorus, especially the production there. Hope she makes a video for it

Partition

Banned
Art Angels is NME's album of the year

aF77LX7l.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really like this album, but I'm not sure if it's memorable enough to be album-of-the-year material. Or was this just a slow year? I'm out of it.

Partition

Banned
I really like this album, but I'm not sure if it's memorable enough to be album-of-the-year material. Or was this just a slow year? I'm out of it.

Well I'm probably biased because I am a big fan but I certainly am already getting more use out of it than pretty much any other release this year.

But the unbiased part of me knows there were tons of amazing releases this year and it's too soon for me to call without giving other albums more attention.

Diablos

This album is amazing. Tracks 10 and 11 go together so well. So many cool little moments throughout. Grimes really knows what she's doing.

Speaking of which, World Princess part II reminds me of something from Sonic 1 or 2. It might be my favorite song because of that.

Monocle

So I listened to the entire album front to back for the second time, and it's pretty amazing. Not one weak track IMO. The "worst" are probably Scream and Easily, and I actually like them both.

Futureman

haha ya I love it.

it's very weird after being a Grimes fan for years seeing all these AOTY awards. Deserves it though.

Diablos

Yeah I can't get enough of this album, especially World Princess part II. I can't believe how fucking good this track is.

SwolBro

Banned
http://www.thefader.com/2015/12/10/grimes-art-angel-documentary

ok, she's officially on my fuck off list. really grimes? how many groups does she want to reference? now she's referencing perfect circle after wanting to be considered a pioneer like "trent reznor"

she's a fucking bore. she's trying too hard. And doing this while wearing an Insane Clown Posse shirt.

NO ONE SHOULD EVE WEAR AN INSANE CLOWN POSSE SHIRT. I don't care how cute and ironic you're trying to be.

done with her.

/rant

Monocle

ok, she's officially on my fuck off list. really grimes? how many groups does she want to reference? now she's referencing perfect circle after wanting to be considered a pioneer like "trent reznor"

she's a fucking bore. she's trying too hard. And doing this while wearing an Insane Clown Posse shirt.

NO ONE SHOULD EVE WEAR AN INSANE CLOWN POSSE SHIRT. I don't care how cute and ironic you're trying to be.

done with her.

/rant
She's a young artist. Can't argue with her results. In summary: whatever.

mattiewheels

You put Trent Reznor in quotes like he's not a pioneer. They seem like two peas in a pod actually.

Steamlord

done with her.

/rant

If you're just now finding out that Grimes is a dork then lol

Also what does any of that have to do with her music?

big ander

I wasn't bothered by it in that documentary (though that doc also did confirm for sure that Scream was shoehorned and last-minute and should've been thrown away) but I do think Grimes' morass of musical references is a huge part of what makes Art Angels a mixed bag of an album. like sure it's 2015 high and low mean nothing and eclecticism is the thing, you can like Tool and Bikini Kill and Mariah Carey go for it. but part of actually creating should be curating and channeling influences.

Melon Husk

Oh yeah, forgot to give my 2 cents. Of her previous work I've listened to Genesis (great), Oblivion (great), and Go (so-so).

gave it listen

like: california, flesh without blood, belly of the beast, pin, realiti, world princess part ii, venus fly

dislike: scream

neutral: the rest

is that grimes singing the chorus to venus fly?

like: Scream, Flesh without Blood, Belly of the Beat, Kill V. Maim, Artangels, Pin, World Princess Part II, Life in the Vivid Dream. The last three have grown on me, I didn't care for them much initially. There's just too much energy to actively dislike them. Even Kill V. Maim.

neutral: Venus Fly, laughing and not being normal

dislike: Butterfly, California, Easily, Realiti [because the demo is way better]

Solid pop album. At first I disliked the squeaky bits, so to speak, but the title track might be my no.1 track from this release.

Props for not using autotune? I think her voice goes briefly out of tune at 1:09 in the intro. BTW, where's the full version of Life in the Vivid Dream?

Edit: Are we reviewing the artist or the album here? I don't know anything about her.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

done with her.

/rant

I think I know the lyrics to every song on The Great Milenko by heart. Grimes is alright.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I finally got around to this album and I fucking love it.

Futureman

SwolBro easily offended it seems. I mean come on. What she said in that interview made you react that strongly?

I took two main things away from that video...

-I hate that the "Flesh Without Blood" video looks like it was filmed on a consumer DV video camera from 1998. She should have hired the fader's video team HA
-Aristophanes is awesome! Her full time job is a teacher and I loved when she asked if her students have heard her music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom