• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Group wants anti-harassment policy at Comic-Con

Status
Not open for further replies.
shits not possible for AX unless they open more room. Also not really enforceable with their current staffs being mostly volunteers.

It won't be perfect but just having such rules in place, and made very clear to all attendees, will surely help cut down on the amount of creep shots.

Sounds like the cons need to ditch volunteers and hire actual vetted dudes.

The bigger ones have no excuse not to.

Flo_Evans

I really can't agree with asking every person for permission to photograph. Nor the "I know it when I see it!" definition of creepy photographs.

If you are in public (or a private event that does not ban photographs) get over it.

Pimpwerx

I doubt every convention is the same but it just blows my mind how adult entertainment centres have substantially less shit like this happening. IMO of course.
That's it right there.

I assume this kind of bad behavior does happen at adult conventions like Exxotica, though. PEACE.

shits not possible for AX unless they open more room. Also not really enforceable with their current staffs being mostly volunteers.

The general competence of AX administration needs to go up if enforcement of harassment rules a con at the los angeles convention center is too much for them to handle.

I really can't agree with asking every person for permission to photograph. Nor the "I know it when I see it!" definition of creepy photographs.

If you are in public (or a private event that does not ban photographs) get over it.
So if you were walking through a mall, and someone kept taking your photograph you'd be okay with it? No matter the location/circumstance, its rude, among other things, to take pictures of people without asking.

Also, what the hell at the people actually saying that people in cosplay know what they are getting into.

KHarvey16

Here's a useful post. If a policy is something you don't agree with, definitely don't ask the event organizers to change it or discuss what policies would be most effective. Just get over it.

You don't need a policy at comic con, theirs laws against this kind of shit, just report it to the police instead of expecting some pimple faced volunteer at a con to have any say in the manner.

inm8num2

Guys, be honest, if a girl walks around 90% naked, would you at least do a double take? I know I would.

When people are at an event with thousands of fans dressed in all sorts of costumes, I would imagine them to exercise a bit more restraint or otherwise not be shocked if they see a lot of skin. But as others have said, simply looking isn't the core issue here.

Guys, be honest, if a girl walks around 90% naked, would you at least do a double take? I know I would.

See, you can do a double take, and even say "god DAMN she's fine" in your head, turn around, and keep playing that game or chatting it up with your friends. There's a difference between that and being creepy, and I'd bet most people know it too.

Also, what the hell at the people actually saying that people in cosplay know what they are getting into.

"But the clothes she was wearing that night meant she was looking for sex so it wasn't rape your honor!"

ccwU1cb.jpg

I felt like the only cookie on a platter in a room full of overweight frumpy office worker women that have been dieting for a week, but feel they deserve a cookie because they took a few steps of stairs to get into the building just to be there.

Wow, way to ridicule women because of their weight and appearance. What a hateful person.

Stet

Banned
Because it's cheap.

Well then let's not assume this is endemic to the process of hiring labour for conventions. If you are collecting hundreds or thousands of people in one place, a big part of your strategy should be dedicated to their safety. If conventions are at a size that they're attracting creepy people, they need to step up the amount of money they're spending on their security.

Ikael

I don't think that there's too much of a debate about groping and physical contact in general. It's harrassment and it shouldn't be tolerated. Full stop.

Regarding taking pics, I always saw conventions as a public space. This is no intimate event or whatsoever, we are talking about crowds of thousand people here, something more akin to a concert.

You can be unwillingly photographed / looked at by mostly anyone on the street or inside a crowd. Not to mention that a lot of cosplayers do like to show theirselves off and should have the right to do it if they wish to.

So in conclussion, I think that a total photography ban would be foolish and almost un-forceable, but that "photograp zones" a la Japanese conventions (or entire pavillions if they are easier to control) could be a more doable solution that could satisfy everyone involved.

Mesoian

Well then let's not assume this is endemic to the process of hiring labour for conventions. If you are collecting hundreds or thousands of people in one place, a big part of your strategy should be dedicated to their safety. If conventions are at a size that they're attracting creepy people, they need to step up the amount of money they're spending on their security.

I agree 100%. But I think a lot of that money would go to training said people, if they continued to hire those not from the security profession already.

The way I see it, you either spend more money and hire existing security firms to handle it in conjunction with the existing convention hall security or you spend more money and time on volunteer staff, which includes a lot more training on real world situations that happen all the time.

In either case, you're spending more money on security.

Flo_Evans

So if you were walking through a mall, and someone kept taking your photograph you'd be okay with it? No matter the location/circumstance, its rude, among other things, to take pictures of people without asking.

You are being constantly photographed in a mall. Why would I care?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You are being constantly photographed in a mall. Why would I care?

Well, one is completely unintrusive, and when it comes to venues like malls, there is usually a legal agreement somewhere that by entering the premises you're consenting to being photographed and that the results may be used for advertisement purposes.

And the other... ranges from people taking candid photos to straight up stalker-ish behavior.

So there's a difference, not only in terms of legality but how the photographee's experience is impacted by the photographer.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was at SDCC on Saturday and I was standing around on a street corner outside next to a girl dressed in what was I guess supposed to be Wonder Woman, although I'm pretty sure Wonder Woman doesn't go outside in her underwear. Some dude in the crowd on the corner yells "WHORE!" and she went back and chewed him the fuck out, which was the right thing to do.

So yeah, it happens, but it always seemed the like the girls in really revealing outfits are mostly standing around to do pictures in the first place and not just trying to get around the convention so you don't really notice the creepyness as much.

Sanjuro

Here's a useful post. If a policy is something you don't agree with, definitely don't ask the event organizers to change it or discuss what policies would be most effective. Just get over it.

He isn't wrong though.

Again, I mentioned prior I don't have that mindset. The most photos I've taken at conventions are of booths or set-ups. When I took any of those photographs I owed no obligation to inform the people in the immediate area that I was taking a photograph.

If someone is actively following someone, and taking harassing photographs, it's up to the venue to have some sort of system in place to log such reports and information.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The chance of them doing "photography zones" is something like zero. If you've ever attended SDCC, taking pictures of all the crazy stuff is partly why the thing is popular. Not to mention, its illegal, as the convention center space is considered a public space, even if you pay money to get in.

entremet

Taking pictures in public is fine and legally protected.

Following and stalking people obsessively to do so is not.

KHarvey16

He isn't wrong though.

Again, I mentioned prior I don't have that mindset. The most photos I've taken at conventions are of booths or set-ups. When I took any of those photographs I owed no obligation to inform the people in the immediate area that I was taking a photograph.

If someone is actively following someone, and taking harassing photographs, it's up to the venue to have some sort of system in place to log such reports and information.

This thread is specifically about instituting such a system, so no, it isn't correct. Any post consisting of "get over it" is dumb in this context.

I remember randomly seeing some creepy video of a guy heavily breathing with his camera on focusing on one girl and you could see she was looking at him in the corner of her eye..wondering why he was just standing there looking at her for awhile...he finally got the nerve to ask her for picture and she was like "you're so creepy you were just standing there " and he walk away syaing nothing heavily breathing

GQman2121

Banned
I don't have a problem with the photography. That's going to happen regardless of their security or rules they try and implement.

It's the groping and verbal harassment that needs to be addressed by the organizers as this seems to come up every year.

I also think one good beat down on someone found to grab an ass or boob would due wonders for this consent campaign. It's the sad truth.

Flo_Evans

But not by a random stranger for his personal benefit. There's a difference between security camera footage and a random person taking your photograph.

How do you know the security guard is not in the room jacking off to me? (lol).

Is a photo not for my benefit if I ask for permision 1st? Such a strange metric. Pretty much every photo I take is for my own personal benefit.

Sanjuro

This thread is specifically about instituting such a system, so no, it isn't correct. Any post consisting of "get over it" is dumb in this context.

...there is no such system in place though. Until one is effectively implemented, then you are going to have to accept the fact that you might have photographs of you taken for the time being. Again, the grey area here is massive.

Like it's been stated countless times, a private event has the option to do a variety of things. No different from a sporting event (which millions of people take photographs at, and then plaster on social media). Most tickets state on them that the operators of the venue have the right to revoke your ticket.

Toxi

Banned
Never visited SDCC, but at Denver Comic Con I always asked for permission before photos.
I have an idea what if we take all the movies, cosplay, videogames, tv shows, books and general fandoms out of this con and make it about comics.
Kinda hard to hold a convention with a dozen or so attendants.

KHarvey16

...there is no such system in place though. Until one is effectively implemented, then you are going to have to accept the fact that you might have photographs of you taken for the time being. Again, the grey area here is massive.

Like it's been stated countless times, a private event has the option to do a variety of things. No different from a sporting event (which millions of people take photographs at, and then plaster on social media). Most tickets state on them that the operators of the venue have the right to revoke your ticket.

That's what we're talking about and I don't understand your point. A problem has been identified and in the course of discussing solutions, someone had come along to say "get over it." How is that correct or literally anything but entirely useless?

Sketchbag

Banned
It's a convention, you're basically submitt to have your photo taken by just being there. As for grabbing and all that, unacceptable, but if you're wearing a costume and people to ask to take a photo, it's up to your set up ground rules because most people don't really care if you grab them around the waist or over the shoulder, etc.. Grabbing the ass or catcalling? Unacceptable.

Oppo

It's not something you can effectively prohibit in a free public society. You'd eliminate news gathering, just for starters.

But not by a random stranger for his personal benefit. There's a difference between security camera footage and a random person taking your photograph.
Intent? why does intent factor in? how do you stop a remote security guard from zooming in "disrespectfully"?

there's a reason the line is drawn at "reasonable expectation of privacy". now if you are talking something like France's "moral rights to self image" for commercial gain, that's certainly worth discussing. but too many people have this strange idea that it is illegal to photograph someone in public and that's not true for good reasons.

Flo_Evans

Its about respect and common decency though.

These are personal morals and should not be attempted to be enforced on top of the law.

I mean is it common decency to walk around half naked? Maybe they should ban reveling clothing?

You are basically saying I should be able to do whatever I want, but other people must respect my wishes to not be photographed or in extreme cases even LOOKED at for too long? And I should have the power to get someone ejected from the convention based on my personal feelings that they are acting "creepy" towards me.

AX was an extra level of skimpy cosplay due to kill la kill but from what I saw...most people were great about it. There was this one girl who was super revealing and played up to it, but it was really funny because there were 2 dudes cosplayed as the same character and one of them was definitely on the heavy side.

funny enough, it was the girl that suggested the ass-shot

I think its just about people being decent, and not encroaching on people's private space. I mean you have girls wearing this and are more than willing to get a picture of them taken as long as you are polite and ask. So why be a dick and start groping them.

These are personal morals and should not be attempted to be enforced on top of the law.

I mean is it common decency to walk around half naked? Maybe they should ban reveling clothing?

You are basically saying I should be able to do whatever I want, but other people must respect my wishes to not be photographed or in extreme cases even LOOKED at for too long? And I should have the power to get someone ejected from the convention based on my personal feelings that they are acting "creepy" towards me.
How are you making an honest comparison about decency between cosplaying as a favorite character to people harassing or molesting others?

Sanjuro

Lot of assumed human beings in here who are more concerned with what's legal than with what's decent.

We are talking about different types of decency here.

That's what we're talking about and I don't understand your point. A problem has been identified and in the course of discussing solutions, someone had come along to say "get over it." How is that correct or literally anything but entirely useless?

I'm not stuck on those three words. I read everything else he mentioned, as did others in the thread.

"Get over it" might not be productive in this discussion, you are correct.

Above the law? Please. And yes, if you are being harassed then you absolutely should have the power to have someone kicked out.

KHarvey16

harassment is a pattern

uncomfortability, yes that's impossible to prohibit

It is not impossible to prohibit making others uncomfortable through intentionally surreptitious or rude picture taking, no.

We are talking about different types of decency here.

I'm not stuck on those three words. I read everything else he mentioned, as did others in the thread.

"Get over it" might not be productive in this discussion, you are correct.

The post said almost nothing else. Ok, they don't agree with some of the solutions. Why? Then that vague, unspecified disagreement is followed up with the get over it.

Useless and unnecessary.

Oppo

Above the law? Please. And yes, if you are being harassed then you absolutely should have the power to have someone kicked out.

but if someone snaps a photo if you, thAts not harassment.

following them around and making comments is arguably harassment but last I checked being a paparazzo in the US is not illegal. simply distasteful ( and I would agree with that).

i
KHarvey16 said:
It s not impossible to prohibit making others uncomfortable through intentionally surreptitious or rude picture taking, no.
really? How on earth are you going to enforce that?

of course I am not referring to stupid up skirts or anything like that but simple photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom