• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Sport will likely not feature traditional offline events

sora87

Didn't he say they could have named this GT7 but wanted to differentiate it? I think they talked about it on a recent PS I Love You.

Mascot

Which makes me wonder what to expect in the way of improvements to the AI.

Gotta admit, that problem mostly goes away when you focus on the multiplayer.

Did that news ever get a thread? Are we going to have a trifecta here? ;p

Not having a beta sounds like a very bad idea.

Was anything officially stated about canceling the beta? Reasons why, maybe? Or was it just "nope"?
My thoughts exactly. It's a neat way of sidestepping AI issues.

And no, the beta cancellation is still awaiting its own thread.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Didn't he say they could have named this GT7 but wanted to differentiate it? I think they talked about it on a recent PS I Love You.

Oh they differentiated it alright. It is a crippled version of GT6 with every feature that differentiates it from its competitor stripped out.

Nero18

Think Project Cars really did a good job with single player content, but even with that said, im really done with running through another set of boring and uninspired event like previous GTs or even the main Forza games. Time to move on.

protonion

I'm huge GT fan and I will not be touching this.

The thing is, I wouldn't care if they did this experiment 6 months to 1 year at most in this gen. Then GT7.
You cannot present this halfway ps4's life.
What the hell! GT7 will release after ps5's unveiling ffs!
And like sfv it will flop. And then Kaz will be like oh we should have not neglected career mode. There will be not enough middle fingers in the world to give.

Sony wake up! Cancel this shit and have them deliver a full gt7 by next summer. I consider GT Sony's biggest software contribution to gaming. Respect it more.

Loudninja

Campaign Mode:
Used to be called GT Mode.
This mode is split into 4 different sections ...
Beginners School
Circuit Experience
Mission Challenge
Racing Etiquette

10 events in beginner school
35 events circuit experience learn how to drive and master the tracks
62 events challenge (traditional single player GT experience )
10 events Racing etiquette

GT Sport PS4 gameplay - Everything You Need To Know
https://youtu.be/IxXBdVwiRaE?t=4m25s
All the Game Modes:
Arcade Mode
Campaign
Brand Central
Sport Mode
Social Features
Livery Editor
Scapes

Ombala

I think Kaz needs to step down he's a dinosaur and doesn't keep up with what ppl expect from a GT title.
Bad management is this studios biggest problem and Kaz thinks he is GT alone.

She says its about "take this corner, do this, do that" and he says its "traditional progression you get in single player GT".

The example event shown in the reveal presentation slide (in the OP) is a 30 to 35 second challenge where you take a single corner at speed, with commentary and a demonstration. That's not a career of events, that's a small challenge.

t_wilson01

I'm huge GT fan and I will not be touching this.

The thing is, I wouldn't care if they did this experiment 6 months to 1 year at most in this gen. Then GT7.
You cannot present this halfway ps4's life.
What the hell!
Same here. I used to play nothing but GT5 and then GT6. Yet GT Sport is a game will not play. I just couldn't any care less about it.

FordGTGuy

Banned
She says its about "take this corner, do this, do that" and he says its "traditional progression you get in single player GT".

The example event shown in the reveal presentation slide (in the OP) is a 30 to 35 second challenge where you take a single corner at speed, with commentary and a demonstration. That's not a career of events, that's a small challenge.

It's small tutorial sprints in order to learn the tracks in the game.

Every time I hear about GT Sport, my interest in it drops. But there's still hope if the Mission Challenge mode is beefy enough. It does seem like the days of Gran Turismo dominating are over now, though. Forza is the new powerhouse and Polyphony can't continue to do their own thing oblivious to everything else for much longer.

SPCTRE

GT Short.
iceburn.gif

DavidDesu

FIA recognition?

To be honest that stuff sounds far more like a gimmick the more you hear about it. It's like the real life GPS thing where in a couple of cars you could take a car to the track in real life and then input that data to recreate it and race against it in GT5 or GT6. Total gimmick that probably 5 people in the world ever used and they wasted time on that over more pressing issues.

I hate to agree with everyone but Kaz has lost it as the lead of this studio. It's just nuts how badly they've missed the mark, for a while now. As someone else said get Bluepoint to remaster GT6 and we'd all be a lot happier. It's kind of heartbreaking to see how GT has fallen from grace. They got the handling damn near spot on, especially via a pad, and pretty much everything else has been a crap shoot.

Why would I buy this? Little visual improvement from GT6, reports of framerate drops, a fraction of the usual number of cars and tracks, and now just a fraction of the usual singleplayer content? I feel like this is less content than I'd expect from a GT7 Prologue, yet they're selling it for full price.

Seriously, what does this bring to the table when Forza, PCars, Assetto Corsa, iRacing and all the rest exist? I can't think of much other than the words 'Gran Turismo' on the box.

Maybe this is Kaz's response to complaints about opponent AI. Just take out all the races against AI, problem solved!

Guymelef

I want this game to bomb, Polyphony closing and put that people t9 minos abd cheaper projects as Ape Escape, Arc The Lad, etc..

psn

I don't know, my expectations were much higher tbh. Don't know if I'm going to buy it anymore - and I'm a hardcore GT fan. Sad times, sad times :(

What the hell.
Its not online only.

Not only, but with a very strong focus on online competition. The offline races and events are pretty much only there to prepare you for online competition.

Of course, you still can choose a random race track, a random car, and race against AI (actually, the build I was able to play last weekend has all that already implemented), but there's no classic offline career mode. Which apparently a lot of fans of the series will miss. I know I will. Then again, a fresh start with their online approach (and cars) is exactly what the series needed.

Campaign Mode:
Used to be called GT Mode.
This mode is split into 4 different sections ...
Beginners School
Circuit Experience
Mission Challenge
Racing Etiquette

10 events in beginner school
35 events circuit experience learn how to drive and master the tracks
10 events Racing etiquette

GT Sport PS4 gameplay - Everything You Need To Know
https://youtu.be/IxXBdVwiRaE?t=4m25s
It think they're wrong about those 62 events. they are missions, not normal races. for example this is one of the missions and it only takes 30 seconds:

yamg8zp529jhu780np5m.jpg

Inside

I am beginning to be very happy that F1 2016 was just announced couple of days ago and will come out doing the summer with features that GTS dosent have (like a career mode).

It should take the top off my racing fever as GTS is beginning to sound like a game not worth looking forward to. Really hope the online is spot on and FIA rules are implemented correctly so we dont see too many doucebags cutting corners, playing bumper cars and so on.

Zukkoyaki

Well, it's still likely going to sell pretty well but it's looking doubtful that it will reach the type of numbers expected of Gran Turismo. Might end up giving Polyphony and Sony a kick in the butt.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'm taking this as very good news...Because it points towards GT7 still existing, no fucking way could GT Sport be this anemic unless a complete numbered GT title was coming. But yeah I'm officially out for this game, I can wait.

Guymelef

I'm taking this as very good news...Because it points towards GT7 still existing, no fucking way could GT Sport be this anemic unless a complete numbered GT title was coming. But yeah I'm officially out for this game, I can wait.

Yeah GT7 exist, maybe with a 2020 release date.

NHale

Looking at this thread, it's quite clear why iRacing will never come to consoles. That would cause some serious meltdowns on some of the concerned people in this thread.

But clearly this will disappoint a lot of traditional GT fans that are expecting the usual career mode that plagues console semi-sim racers for decades. Sony should have called this GT e-Sports because it seems that the focus is clearly on being an online only racing game.

EDIT - Does Arcade Mode at least allows to race a custom championship? Because if they designed a game trying to focus about the motorsport aspect but at the same time you can't drive in a championship with multi events (sprint and/or endurance races), it would be absurd and hilarious at the same time.

Odorono

Banned
Looking at this thread, it's quite clear why iRacing will never come to consoles. That would cause some serious meltdowns on some of the concerned people in this thread.

People have expectations of what a GT game is, a massive single player career with many hundreds of cars. Iracing has never been about that..there would be no meltdowns.

NHale

People have expectations of what a GT game is, a massive single player career with many hundreds of cars. Iracing has never been about that..there would be no meltdowns.

Well they didn't called this Gran Turismo 7 for a reason, don't you agree?

What IF, I mean... just give this thought the benefit of doubt for a couple of seconds...

What if PD's basic idea was:
"if everyone follows the rules, racing against other humans is always more fun and more thrilling than racing against a machine".

Question then:
"Why do people rarely race online and how do we counter the reasons with gameplay design decisions?"

Reasons:
- no consequences for crashing means people use other cars' rears and sides as their brakes in corners
- frustration from not being good enough
- ragequitting (especially in the usual 1st corner crashfest)
- you can't see what's going on your sides and rear leading to line-cut crashes where the (edit: unexperienced) guilty player doesn't know/feel guilty of a crash
- no homologation of the cars means that certain cars just aren't an option for certain tracks if you want to be competetive and the PP-index is not good enough
- even if you find a 1.7t saloon car that has the same lap times as a 800kg lightweight car because of more straight line speed, the differences in the cars lead higher probability of crashes than in real world racing

Solutions:
- somewhat harsh car damage
- actual racing rules with flags
- personal safety rating that - if too low - prohibits you from progressing into certain racing leagues
- offline racing license tests that check if you actually understand the rules of overtaking and general etiquette and the consequences for not following these rules
- VR-integration let's you look to your sides and behind (arrows and spotter radio calls inform you not to cut or be aware of a car outside your view trying to overtake)
- quitting a race after a crash or in the lower half of the field lowers your racer and/or safety rating

and most importantly:
- no real offline races (guarantees presence of all skill-levels, so 99% of players won't feel "not good enough" to race online).

Zaki2407

I think they need to hire a new PR/Marketing guy. This game is sooo confusing in term of valid information. From the very first unveiling up until now. I still hope by the end of the day, it will be a good game.

Top Bottom