• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Sport will likely not feature traditional offline events

Hasney

The most annoying part of all this is that I'll still probably enjoy it more than Driveclub. Dammit, I so wish they turned down the graphics on that and gave it 60fps... Maybe Driveclub VR will feel good to drive.

So basically trying to make iRacing with GT branding?

yes. But with iRacing's subscription cost, they usually never have the crash-on-purpose assholes in their crowd...

GT Sports advantage would be higher player base (lower waiting times) and most of all it's less intimidating. The better 98% of players in the iRacing community are already pretty good!

The typical "online focused game should be f2p" opinion that this out of touch minority of the market has. More games are moving to this and it's working out and selling well.

bombshell

Which is disappointing to many GT fans. They are now competing with the PC sims and losing what made the GT games so popular in the first place.

And is not disappointing to many other GT fans. I was bored to tears by GT5, didn't touch GT6 and am excited by how GT Sport plans to revolutionize the online side of racing games with the FIA integration, organized championships etc.

danowat

Banned
they have ~60,000 subscribers at the moment and if it's not your first year, a year of subscription is $100. Also most content is not free with that subscription (new car ~$10).
But without the subscription system? Like GTS will be?

I also read that the online collision system penalises both players in a crash, regards of fault.

Sounds like a griefers wet dream.

Odorono

Banned
And is not disappointing to many other GT fans. I was bored to tears by GT5, didn't touch GT6 and am excited by how GT Sport plans to revolutionize the online side of racing games with the FIA integration, organized championships etc.

The response has been almost entirely negative towards it so not sure how many prefer this approach tbh.

farisr

The Street Fighter V of racing games?
Pretty much exactly how I see it. Except that at least PD's handling it better than capcom and being completely upfront about what's included and talking about each game mode in depth. Imagine if they had just said "there's a campaign mode in this game" and left it at that.

Like SFV, I think it's a joke to ask $60 upfront for this as well.

They won't get the best players in the world, if they don't allow all the gear those guys already have.
The G27 that doesn't work on the PS4 is still the most widespread racing wheel and in a poll on Inside Sim Racing, over 20% of users have more expensive Fanatec wheels or pedals, which also are currently not supported by first party Sony titles.

bombshell

The response has been almost entirely negative towards it so not sure how many prefer this approach tbh.

I've read plenty of positive impressions from people who have actually played the game. You've read too many reactionary forum posts from a loud minority with no actual first hand experiences.

theWB27

I've read plenty of positive impressions from people who have actually played the game. You've read too many reactionary forum posts from a loud minority with no actual first hand experiences.

That's because most complaints are about the feature set, not the actual driving. I don't think too many people are worried about the driving model.

If Arcade mode is like PCARS's race weekend than this is good enough, they are doing something similar to the seasonals looks like so yeah not too bad.

Odorono

Banned

I'm sure the driving model is still great but you don't need first hand experience to know that there being so little cars and having no real single player is a huge bummer

farisr

I've only read positive things about the driving in the game, has nothing to do with how those people feel about the direction PD is trying to go to, in regards to the content offerings/modes/online focus and not including the traditional offline events.

I really hope this game is a quality racing game. I think it can still be solid without dynamic rain and lengthy career mode- that career mode stuff really isn't selling racing games anymore (look at Forza's current gen sales, nothing special).

FM3: 5.5 million
FM4: 4.6 million
FM5: 2 million
FM6: 1.5 million

Easy to see diminishing return on "this type of game." Even when FM6 was much higher quality than FM5. GT6 was right between FM4/5 in terms of sales, which is when it launched too. I just hope the game is good and they don't try to subsidize it too badly with microtransactions (I know they'll be in there, just to what extent).

I am super bummed at 137 cars though. A game like this really needs to be around 400, especially with all of the easily replaceable (to me anyways) formula cars. If I can't buy it in a showroom hypothetically, I honestly do not care about it. Just takes away from the fun of it all to me. Instead we'll see 3 cars from every manufacturer and 6 variants of the Nissan Skyline and Honda Civic Si...

It's a little disappointing but as long as I can create my own single races with AI and pick time of day and weather conditions I'll be happy.

bombshell

I've only read positive things about the driving in the game, has nothing to do with how those people feel about the direction PD is trying to go to, in regards to the content offerings/modes/online focus and not including the traditional offline events.

There's been articles from people going to the London event covering the online feature set of GT Sport and what's exciting about it.

I'm sure the driving model is still great but you don't need first hand experience to know that there being so little cars and having no real single player is a huge bummer

You have a right to be bummed about that, but the name of the game should already have signaled to you that you should have expected this change in focus.

Malice215

I'm trying to find reasons of buying this game when all I read about are the features that won't make it in.

Guess I'll wait for GT7 or a discount on this.

The thing is, you just read really superficial stuff about the handling and it's coming from GT fans (some of which surely have a valid and balanced perspective, but others won't).
What I've seen from how the car behaves after losing traction, the handling still looks a lot like GT. The tire squeal and when it sets in, suggests the same imo.
In terms of physic-authenticity this game can't compete with Assetto Corsa, iRacing or the ISI-based sims. Which is not good, if you want to attract the best racers out there.

It's a little disappointing but as long as I can create my own single races with AI and pick time of day and weather conditions I'll be happy.
Kinda agree with this, but that'll depend upon if there's any unlocks or virtual currencies that might be required and how you go about getting them.

If you have full access to all of the goodies in arcade mode I'll miss the sense of progression a career mode provides, but if the racing is good enough and I can set up interesting events I doubt I'd miss that for long.

GT Short.

Should have called it GT E-Sport

Some contenders for the GT Sport OT title.

As someone who spends all their time in single player. My two most anticipated games this year were Street Fighter V & GT Sport.

I'm an idiot.

You won't be able to even do that.

Gran Turismo Sport Will Not Feature Dynamic Time or Weather

If it wasn't for PSVR I wouldn't even bother with this until it hit the bargain bin.

farisr

I really hope this game is a quality racing game. I think it can still be solid without dynamic rain and lengthy career mode- that career mode stuff really isn't selling racing games anymore (look at Forza's current gen sales, nothing special).

FM3: 5.5 million
FM4: 4.6 million
FM5: 2 million
FM6: 1.5 million

Easy to see diminishing return on "this type of game." Even when FM6 was much higher quality than FM5. GT6 was right between FM4/5 in terms of sales

First of all, GT6 is at 4.71 million now, so it's surpassed FM4. And GT6 was in the weird position where the PS4 had come out a month before it did and there were rumors going around about a possible port which led to people skipping it (including myself)

Furthermore, current gen Forza also has the factors of the Xbox One not being terribly popular outside the US (where a big chunk of the market lies for these games), mix that with there being more competition, and there being minimal improvements with each iteration, consistently getting criticized for still not implementing stuff GT5 had did (which now GT Sport is getting criticized for as well). And you get why Forza sales have dipped greatly.

I have no doubt in my mind that GT Sport is going to sell poorly compared to past GTs, but it isn't going to be because the market isn't there anymore or that's the trend, it'll be because of the cutbacks they have done, the shift in focus, plus there being more competition.

You won't be able to even do that.

Gran Turismo Sport Will Not Feature Dynamic Time or Weather

If it wasn't for PSVR I wouldn't even bother with this until it hit the bargain bin.
I am pretty certain there are weather and time of day options. Dynamic means it won't change during the course of the race like it does in Driveclub for example. It's not ideal but it's certainly better than nothing.

Kinda agree with this, but that'll depend upon if there's any unlocks or virtual currencies that might be required and how you go about getting them.

If you have full access to all of the goodies in arcade mode I'll miss the sense of progression a career mode provides, but if the racing is good enough and I can set up interesting events I doubt I'd miss that for long.
Hmm good point. I wonder how they'll handle that. If memory serves in past GT games everything in Arcade mode was fully unlocked but it's been a while since I played 6.

All of Master mongoose's numbers are wrong (Forza 2-4 too high, GT6 too low) and none of you consider how freaking much VIP- and season passes Forza 6 has sold (I spend 132€ already on that thing, and I don't even have the NASCAR stuff). Then there is half-a-year-later discounted price thing (which in some cases is not even half a sale in $$).

Talking with GT and Forza fans about sales is terrible, it shouldn't come up in threads about offline events, graphics or dynamic track conditions.

Hmm good point. I wonder how they'll handle that. If memory serves in past GT games everything in Arcade mode was fully unlocked but it's been a while since I played 6.
No, you only have access to about 40-50 cars and can't change the setup or tune them (some them are rally expensive though and it's a nice selection).

But I bet you will have access to everything in GTS's offline arcade mode from the start.

TheMan

a lot of people seem disappointed but I'm willing to give them a chance. The old formula was revolutionary in the 90s but is beyond stale in 2016. Time to change things up.

I am pretty certain there are weather and time of day options. Dynamic means it won't change during the course of the race like it does in Driveclub for example. It's not ideal but it's certainly better than nothing.

You will be able to pick conditions before starting a race in Arcade Mode, they just won't change during the race.

I was focused on the weather part when linking that thread

OP:

“We opted to not have the transitions in the race this time in order to raise the framerate and the quality of the image *during* the race. So the user will be able to set that before they enter the race. So you’ll still be able to have night races, morning, races at dawn, dusk, and so on.”

I don't believe there will be any rain effects.

Fox Mulder

This is not what I had in mind for Gran Turismo on PS4

Me either. Ive been an Xbox fan and love forza, but got the ps4 mostly because driveclub was amazing and I was interested in playing GT again.

Sony killed Driveclub and got rid of Evolution, which bums me out. Now GT looks disappointing as fuck. I wonder if Sony will drop the same hammer on PD for their development issues.

Unknown?

Either way you don't release a half baked GT game at $60 just to announce a full GT game soon after at the same price.

That's a great way of killing GTS altogether.

I honestly think GTS is it for the next few years.

There is no evidence to support that driving online even more stops people from driving like jerks.
Man you all about everything. It isn't any worse, it's just different. I love how everyone was making a call for change and now that it's different, you all are bitching.

Top Bottom