• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT6 have much less prize cars .. microtransactions effect ?

Chabbles

Not cool. Adding MT's is one thing, but changing how the game has always worked to encourage there use is.. well its inevitable.

A month ago if someone asked me was i passing on GT6, i would of laughed that silly question off. Roll on Driveclub and Project cars.

Let's cut to the chase with all these jousting lists

What's the total, final number of cars you can get in GTA5 & GTA6 once you've unlocked everything, bought everything and defeated the secret wizard on level 5

Answer: We don't know yet.

B-Spec is yet to be released. Additional cars could be earned through B-Spec, as it was with GT5. It's kinda unfair to compare GT5's list with B-Spec included, when B-Spec hasn't been released on GT6 yet, so we don't know how many, if any, cars can be won with B-Spec.

I suggest you bring a correct list in the discussion, or even some facts. because right now, saying the OP is inaccurate is one thing, but would you say that you earn more cars in GT6 than in GT5? twice? Half? What's your take?

And what about the number of cars in arcade mode? inaccurate too?

And the lack of give/exchange cars option? inaccurate?

And this http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/body-rigidity-deteriorates-way-too-fast.292723/

Doesn't even make you doubt?

No, you certainly earn fewer, but not as few as the OP suggests, especially considering one of the game's modes is absent at launch.

It seems to me that the only people complaining about it are the ones who haven't played it!

nib95

Banned
Don't need to buy a game to criticize it. I've played GT1-2, 3 & 5. Why would I buy a game that implements something I'm strongly against?

Before the game was released I was told by a bunch of defenders that you couldn't buy credits from within the game at all. That the only way to purchase them was through the PSN store. Was that not right?

Either way, it's not as if the option being not readily apparent makes it invalid to complain about. Certainly not as disgusting as what Forza 5 does though.

Just so you're aware, there's currently a credit exploit you can use for lots of free money should you be one of those people with limited time and all the rest.

Don't need to buy a game to criticize it. I've played GT1-2, 3 & 5. Why would I buy a game that implements something I'm strongly against?

Before the game was released I was told by a bunch of defenders that you couldn't buy credits from within the game at all. That the only way to purchase them was through the PSN store. Was that not right?

That's because it was in the GT store which wasn't accessible until the 1.01 update (which brought the online functionality into the game). It's still not thrown in your face though. There aren't points where the game suggests that maybe you might like to buy some credits. It never even tells you that they're there.

spwolf

problem is that you never played the game and you try to make some wild accusations on game that you never played. If you have played it, you would understand that credits are not pushed on you and how career mode has changed.

For me personally, career mode is a lot more natural this time around and i want to complete it, so i am winning more cars than before when it was pretty annoying.

Microtransactions are locked far away from your gameplay, if there wasnt a thread about it, most people playing GT6 would never know that they exist at all.

turnbuckle

i find it interesting that you didnt quote last post on that very same thread

I said I was selectively quoting. Most of the detailed posts in that thread expressed concern over this. The ones that didn't generally sounded like dismissive garbage that misses the point.

Por exemplo:

spwolf said:
oh noes, you have to repair the car when you crash? while last week the outrage was how there is no damage modelling. Now there is too much?

Also: Price of repairs ≠ Damage modeling.

spwolf

There aren't points where the game suggests that maybe you might like to buy some credits. It never even tells you that they're there.

this is really the funniest part, i bet most people wont know you can buy credits as game never tells you that during the gameplay, in dealer screen or garage or tuning... you dont get prompted to buy when you dont have credits.

if anything, while you are progressing, my feeling was that i easily got the cars i needed and money to tune them.

and i am not just using only gifted cars... vast majority of the cars are very affordable and easy to buy.

spwolf

I said I was selectively quoting.

what does that even mean, that you are ignoring anything positive and only willing to consider the negatives?

So you want damage to look awesome but at the same time you are against repairing the vehicles? Interesting.

Imagine, you only have few crashes and you have to repair the car... oh noes. Probably everyone who is racing with race cars already got millions of credits via that exploit anyway.

turnbuckle

Repairs were in gt5 as well, some of you guys need to just play a game for once instead of wasting time bitching

From what I'm seeing, the repair bills are coming much earlier or more punitively than in GT5.

Some of you should read a post before reflexively suggesting a person is ignorant to a series. I played a ton of GT5. I'm completely aware you needed to repair in that game as well.

I'm waiting to see more impressions from both sides before deciding if I'll pick this up used. There are too many conflicting reports on both sides this early and too many changes that could improve or worsen the situation. I heard about the money exploit a day or two ago and it tempted me...but I decided not to do it out of fear there'd be repercussions affecting my account if I took advantage of it.

It's the same with NBA2K14 - If I let the glowing first week impressions convince me to buy the game I'd end up with an unstable mess designed with MTs that unlock such basics like certain types of player animations/shots. Also hearing about things in that game where you're put in impossible situations to earn game currency, where the AI will do things removing your ability to complete that goal.

I'm not projecting the faults of other games onto GT6 though. It was just a different example. I'm not a hater of the series or anything like that...I just need the benefit of some hindsight to see how some of this stuff shakes out.

turnbuckle

what does that even mean, that you are ignoring anything positive and only willing to consider the negatives?

I'm not ignoring the posts in this thread. I'm showing the negative impressions people are having and reading the responses here against those.

You quoted one post from that forum, one that's saying things aren't bad. I guess I should say something passive aggressive like "interesting".

turnbuckle

problem is that you never played the game and you try to make some wild accusations on game that you never played. If you have played it, you would understand that credits are not pushed on you and how career mode has changed.
Do you own an XB1?
Do you own Forza 5?

Grayman

My stance on this was that with a plethora of $20,000,000 cars GT5 was would be considered to have exploitative balanced if such microtransactions were offered.

I haven't been following each thread but it would be good to see real life dollar costs for top cars like forza.

hamchan

Hmm.. I've had some big hits, all my cars show in the green still.

I've been banging some of my cars around like bumper cars and when I went to see if I had to fix anything everything still showed good. I remember in GT5 having to constantly do maintenance on cars.

turnbuckle

Also - I just read there were no log-in bonuses in GT6. Seriously?

lol, I late that I sound like I'm trolling the game. I want to play it. But there are so many different indications that, aside from doing an exploit, the grind and payouts are more severe and less forgiving.

A couple of things in the previous GT6 microtransaction thread that kept getting repeated:

- Getting credits is easy. Don't just focus on the race rewards, but login bonus, prize cars, etc

- You can't even purchase microtransactions in the game. They're hidden in the store. If they wanted to sell them to you they'd put them in the game.

Well, both of those are either inaccurate or worse than in GT5.

"Wait for a patch" it is, then. I guess.

Grayman

lol, I late that I sound like I'm trolling the game. I want to play it. But there are so many different indications that, aside from doing an exploit, the grind and payouts are more severe and less forgiving.

A couple of things in the previous GT6 microtransaction thread that kept getting repeated:

- Getting credits is easy. Don't just focus on the race rewards, but login bonus, prize cars, etc

- You can't even purchase microtransactions in the game. They're hidden in the store. If they wanted to sell them to you they'd put them in the game.

Patch is going to fix that free money exploit. As I learned in my MMO days, exploit early exploit often.

It is not something I would do but buying the game today and exploiting up to the money cap is a time investment in not buying in game cash later.

Korezo

I didn't know micro transactions was there until I saw it in a little option tab that said GT store. Game plays like any other GT game progression except that you don't get a price car for clearing race events anymore. This game is not like the piece of shit NBA 2k14 that requires you to make a account, slows down your progress, makes it difficult for you so you can spend money buying coins and then adds drm that requires you to be online to use game modes all because of the addition to microtransactions. Now NBA 2k14 is a piece of shit that I hope no game becomes like. Gt6 just has microtransactions to have it.

Alright, some of these things are different but really need to be clarified.

1. Yes you can find a menu that will take you to the PSN store to purchase credits. The big thing is you have to go looking for it and it is never brought up to/for you nor is it mentioned during gameplay. It is very reasonable that the average person will never even know it is there.

2. While you get less cars, and there is no login bonus, the game itself not only seems to handle better but it seems easier to win. Because of that, having the "need" to purchase a car is rare (at least as far as I have seen), the races are quick and I am sitting on a pile of credits now close to 500k. I guess you can also point to the Vision GT cars as free beasts you are going to get in monthly intervals.

So in comparison, there is less time spent to get alot of money, very little reason to spend that money and thanks to the events, missions and coffee break there is a very large exposure to a wide variety of vehicles. Also some cars seem to be cheaper such as the X2010. it is 14 million cheaper in GT6 than it was in GT5.

So unless you have a compulsion for collecting ALL the cars in the game, GT6 isn't too bad. I only wanted my GTR and I was able to purchase and sit on a ton of credits.

IISANDERII

I didn't really care about repairing it was never an issue for me and probably won't be in 6 either
After many thousands of km of racing there was definitely a drop in handling and in the case of the Formula GT, it became near undriveable in GT5.
Seeing threads on GTP that race cars are becoming undriveable after only a few hundred km in GT6. And after having to pay for the repair, it negates the prize money you just won for an endurance race.

I don't understand the defense of the microtransactions. Is it just fans of the game that don't want to admit there is anything wrong with the game?

Wouldn't the game be better without them? Shouldn't that be your primary concern... having the game be as good as it possibly can be?

graywolf323

I don't understand the defense of the microtransactions. Is it just fans of the game that don't want to admit there is anything wrong with the game?

Wouldn't the game be better without them? Shouldn't that be your primary concern... having the game be as good as it possibly can be?

from what I've seen and heard how would the game be any different without them? it doesn't sound like they increased the cost of cars or lowered the reward payouts from races so what exactly did microtransactions do to ruin the game outside of some people just hate the fact they exist?

edit: I don't even have a horse in this race, I'm not a fan of sim racers so never been into the GT series but one of my best friends LOVES it

This is why you don't saddle a game with these kinds of microtransactions.

Every decision made about the challenge, reward or grinds will fall under a microscope. What motivates some of these design changes? The spirit of the game? Or a little added challenge or annoyance or credit-sinks to pressure people towards lucrative microtransactions?

This stuff perverts the very heart of your game as that progression/reward system is now one big upsell.

Wouldn't the game be better without them?
You'd think we could all at least agree on this.

Megasoum

Banned

Or you know... It's from people who actually played the game and see that the micro transactions have no impact into the game, are relegated to a far corner of the main menu and are never actually advertised in the game?

Also the fact that if it wasn't for Forza 5 coming out 2 weeks earlier and doing a terrible job at handling the whole thing nobody would have even noticed that there was MT in GT6.

This is the biggest example of "Storm in a teacup" I have ever seen.

Are there games with terrible implementation of MicroTranscations out there? Of course there is and people are totally right to be outraged about it (ie: Forza 5, PvZ2, etc) however giving a blanket statement over every single games that has MT in it is just fucking ridiculous. You're telling me people should boycott all those 225 games?

turnbuckle

from what I've seen and heard how would the game be any different without them? it doesn't sound like they increased the cost of cars or lowered the reward payouts from races so what exactly did microtransactions do to ruin the game outside of some people just hate the fact they exist?

edit: I don't even have a horse in this race, I'm not a fan of sim racers so never been into the GT series but one of my best friends LOVES it

Getting fewer prize cars and not getting a login bonus both sound like a reduced payout.

Regardless of MTs, how can it be said that things are the same; that money and cars are exactly as easy to acquire as GT5?

Or you know... It's from people who actually played the game and see that the micro transactions have no impact into the game, are relegated to a far corner of the main menu and are never actually advertised in the game?

Also the fact that if it wasn't for Forza 5 coming out 2 weeks earlier and doing a terrible job at handling the whole thing nobody would have even noticed that there was MT in GT6.

This is the biggest example of "Storm in a teacup" I have ever seen.

Well, you have people from the game saying different things. Some are saying overall rewards are less than GT5, some are saying they're exactly the same.

The ones that are saying they're exactly the same tend to be the same people who get defensive and tell others they must not have played GT5.

Megasoum

Banned
Getting fewer prize cars and not getting a login bonus both sound like a reduced payout.

Regardless of MTs, how can it be said that things are the same; that money and cars are exactly as easy to acquire as GT5?

How can it be said that any of those changes wouldn't be into the game even without the Microtransactions?

There's a reason for every games, even sequels, to have designers working on them.... Things changes from game to game.

It's getting borderline tinfoil hat territory in here sometimes.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Would everybody be pleased when all cars were free and unlocked from the beginning? Where's the challenge then?

I think it's because a number of people complained about standard cars being forced on them in GT5. If you look at the GT6 prize car list, despite being fewer in numbers, they're all premium models.

Anyone saying GT6 has been designed around micro transactions is straight up lying.

Would everybody be pleased when all cars were free and unlocked from the beginning? Where's the challenge then?
How about just removing the credit-based microtransactions so that the challenge/reward curve is just about the gameplay and nothing else?

Its not like GT doesn't have other content it can sell, and has sold before. Lets not forget that this series had a GAF thread titled "We <3 DLC", because it was good.

turnbuckle

How about just removing the credit-based microtransactions so that the challenge/reward curve is just about the gameplay and nothing else?

Its not like GT doesn't have other content it can sell, and has sold before. Lets not forget that this series had a GAF thread titled "We <3 DLC", because it was good.

That'd be perfect.

Contra11

Banned
I apologize if my thread lists are inaccurate , i have GT6 and willing to sell it "didn't like it " but i think there is some game design changes to encourage microtransactions , like the number of cars in arcade mode is few " i remember GT2 have huge list of cars in arcade mode "GT2 is the only driving simulation game i enjoyed"

We have to stop calling these things microtransactions.

In-app purchases? My problems are really these "time saver products" that provide you nothing but double XP or expendable credits or things that otherwise help short circuit a game's natural grind.

Considering the asking price for some of this in-game content its anything but micro.

spwolf

We have to stop calling these things microtransactions.

In-app purchases? My problems are really these "time saver products" that provide you nothing but double XP or expendable credits or things that otherwise help short circuit a game's natural grind.

Considering the asking price for some of this in-game content its anything but micro.

how does it help you with finishing GT6? It doesnt. You can finish your career mode with cars you win plus few other cheapo cars that you have to buy.

In any case, it does not impact my gameplay at all... as mentioned before, you dont notice it during gameplay at all so I dont care if someone wants to pay $1000 to play GT6.

Sure, If it is in your face, changing the game economy, making game harder, then I would understand the complaint, and i would complain about it myself... but it changes nothing so who cares.

how does it help you with finishing GT6? It doesnt.
How many people play GT to "finish" it?

The grind, to the extent there is one, comes down to unlocking the cars and features you're most interested in. And for some, sure, that's completing the game.

What is completion in this sense? Gold in all events? In that case you still need to buy cars and upgrade them to be able to enter and excel at each event. That takes credits.

Sure, If it is in your face, changing the game economy, making game harder, then I would understand the complaint, and i would complain about it myself... but it changes nothing so who cares.
But it is harder, right now.

MaDKaT

So far I can't honestly say the game would be different without them. Yeah, the structure is different than the last games. It certainly can be construed that maybe the changes are to encourage external credit purchasing. However, so far in my game, the rewards and payout seem paced perfectly fine with the career mode. There has been virtually no need to spend any money. Credits seem to accrue at a similar pace to previous games and the reward cars, while fewer, seem more tailored for your progression.

Emwitus

I apologize if my thread lists are inaccurate , i have GT6 and willing to sell it "didn't like it " but i think there is some game design changes to encourage microtransactions , like the number of cars in arcade mode is few " i remember GT2 have huge list of cars in arcade mode "GT2 is the only driving simulation game i enjoyed"

doesn't the car list in arcade increase as you progress through career? At least that's how it worked in 5.

The Jason

Well most cars are available from the beginning in the dealership instead of having rare cars randomly appear in the used car section after a certain level. Which is a good thing, but it does make money more important.

Top Bottom