• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V confirmed 30fps 1080p on both Xbox One and Playstation 4 (read post #217)

What i mean is maybe they simply made the game they set out to make and it isn't pushing either console to the limit. Or maybe it is but they had to work much harder to get the X1 version to the same level.

The Destiny excuse gets a chuckle out of me every time.

DOWN

Banned
Guys, its simply not possible. Not on this hardware.

We know this....unless we wanted it to look like the PS360 build.
Yep, I guess it's just acceptable to me because I really am not disappointed with it and don't need to comment on it. It really isn't bad like the disappointment here suggests, even if 60fps is a nice plus.

Kezen

Banned
I'm deathly serious. Look at the evidence.
Assassins Creed Unity - 900/30 on both consoles, even though one has a benchmarked power difference of nearly 50% in its favour.
Alright...Are you pulling my leg or something ? In case you're serious it's true that the PS4 could best the Xbox One in pretty much any game but there is absolutely no conclusive evidence Microsoft has pressured Ubisoft to keep both consoles at 900p. It's an Ubi decision, I don't believe Microsoft has anything to do with that.

There's no excuse for a game being 1080/30 on two platforms when one platform has a 50% power difference in its favour.
I agree but why blaming anyone else than the developper/publisher ? It's their decision.

HardRojo

I'm planning to pick this up as soon as I can. Will be interesting to see whether there are certain differences between both versions or not.

What i mean is maybe they simply made the game they set out to make and it isn't pushing either console to the limit. Or maybe it is but they had to work much harder to get the X1 version to the same level.

We'll see. I hope they push the PS4 properly instead of full parity like in Destiny.

Percy

Banned
I can picture GTA V at 60 frames, man how amazing it would be.

Man... if only there were some option that could make this happen... oh wait! ;)

He was talking about graphical differences. Destiny looks pretty much the same on both next-gen consoles.

Destiny is not a game that's particularly taxing on any technical level though, to be fair. Plus didn't Bungie say they 'aimed' for parity with that?

Just not sure that game is an effective measure to use as a comparison is all.

Figments

Alright...Are you pulling my leg or something ? In case you're serious it's true that the PS4 could best the Xbox One in pretty much any game but there is absolutely no conclusive evidence Microsoft has pressured Ubisoft to keep both consoles at 900p. It's an Ubi decision, I don't believe Microsoft has anything to do with that.

I agree but why blaming anyone else than the developper/publisher ? It's their decision.

It's Miles. You're falling for it.

woen

Probably, yes. Locking it at 30 will most certainly give the PS4 version more room to work with before dropping below 30. A likely scenario is that the PS4 could run unlocked in the 40-50's, while the XB1 in the 30-40's. The XB1 has less room to work with, and will probably be more likely to drop below 30 (if either one were to drop below 30).

Developers tend to prefer a locked 30 because you don't get any jumps in framerate (from 50 to say 30), and because 30 works well with most display refresh rates.

Another scenario is that the PS4 might have slightly better effects, or something like that, and in this situation the two versions might be running at similar framerates.

Either way, I think owners of both consoles should be happy.

It makes sense.

An option to have an unlocked framerate would be great imho, but maybe they didn't want to hear that.

The DF review will be interesting.

Cømet

Banned
Why stretch to 60 frames if it's too difficult to do?

Why not aim for......45 frames.

The Last of Us remastered offers optional frame locking at 30. I have it off without incident. So, why not offer the option here too? Let the consumer choose 30 locked or 30+.
Either way, can't wait for this to come out. Must sell my 360 version this weekend!

Hope its stable, a stable 30fps would be a big improvement over the last gen versions.

As for XB1 vs PS4, still curious how both fair in high action sequences. If both hold stable FPS and there aren't' any other graphical points of disparity I may pick it up on XB1 instead of PS4. Really enjoying the way the OS works on XB1.

badams

But is the framerate dynamic?

My wallet is crying this fall and I really don't want to buy this for XO, but everything about this release sounds so good...

To which I'd reply why didn't developers settle for parity last gen when MS had the power advantage?

It's more than a little suspect that now the shoe is on the other foot that developers suddenly feel the need to 'settle' for parity.

MavFan619

Banned
Well, that is disappointing for PS4 owners, but hopefully after the DF analysis points out the technical areas where their console version is superior they can have a reason to get excited about this release.
Why would it be disappointing? I'm a PS4 owner, I'm not mad if Xbox has the same resolution and framerate, also considering there are other graphical effects not mentioned that could differ from the two versions. I won't be double dipping and I will be an Xbone owner this week who still maintains that all my multiplat purchases will be on PS4 but this seems like good news to me.

BriGuy

Can someone please clue me in on what "based" means? I keep seeing it pop up with a developer or publisher's name and no other context.

JP

Well that's good news!

Wasn't expecting 60 due to how good it looks and and the sheer amount of stuff that's going on. It seems to be a steady 30fps too if the people that have played it are anything to go by.

Cubed

Nice to see RockStar making a great game on both systems. I still hope for something more on PS4, though (even if it's just an extra AA pass to sharpen that IQ).

Gamer345

Banned
Cant tell if srs?

You do realize running at a consistent 60fps is exactly twice as difficult as running at a consistent 30fps (in single gpu situations where the bottleneck is the gpu and vram is not an issue). I know the ps4 is more powerful than the xbox1 but lets be srs here. Its not a PC (insert elitism)

Funny thing is, I would put money on this game not even staying at 30fps during action, I bet the slowdowns are going to be pretty common.

He is being sarcastic

All the venom and bile spit up each time a major release drops with the same specs on both the PS4 and XO seems just a bit much, no? Does it really hurt that much for those on the other side of the fence from you to have the same experience? Their joy = your pain? That's more than a little sad.

Do you actually believe that MS is paying off all these companies for "parity"? Have any interesting moon landing and 9/11 theories you'd care to float as well?

AlStrong

Yes..

But I'm sure you know what I meant.

:) Should be interesting to see some other techniques like SRAA (sub-pixel reconstruction), which use supersampled or multisampled depth buffer (or also normal buffer) to AA the edges, independent of the pixel shading.

impact

Banned
People expected 60 in a console open world game? Not going to happen on these CPUs. And before someone says MGS5, I mean an actual open world. Not an open tiny island.

FrankT

What was parity last gen. We never talked resolution hardly ever because nearly every multi plat game was the same. We talked a bit of AA or lighting. There wasn't some massive difference to talk about 99% of the time.

Just a handful of games with resolution differences this fall and I imagine we will continue to see improvements in that department.

MilkyJoe

??
To which I'd reply why didn't developers settle for parity last gen when MS had the power advantage?

It's more than a little suspect that now the shoe is on the other foot that developers suddenly feel the need to 'settle' for parity.

It's the beginning of the generation, give the development a chance to reach their stride. And you have no idea what the difference is anyway, calm down. Are you going to not buy any multi plat if it's 1080p on Xbox? Are you mental?

1080p/30fps is good for both. Glad they were able to make it happen.

I guess some people will be miffed if there aren't enhanced effects on PS4 though.

timlot

Banned
Nice, will pick up next year on sale during spring drought on XB1. Sunset, Forza Horizon2, and HaloMCC is all I need this holiday.

Patroclos

Banned

Miles you are just starting shit for no reason. If this was Ubisoft you would be justified to make assumptions like this. Rockstar already implemented console specific features on the controller, that in itself shows they devoted time and resources to that version.

Don't worry, I'm sure the X1 version will fall short in multiple areas. Will that make you happier? Dude, again, it's Rockstar not Ubisoft.

I'm deathly serious. Look at the evidence.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Inexplicably has frame-rate and lighting issues that aren't in the X1 version, even though there's a 50% power difference in the PS4 favour

And now this, Sure, it's a PS marketed game, but it's clear that MS got to R* in some way. Probably has something to do with that $50m loan MS gave them all those years ago.

PS4 has frame rate issues likely because they spent more time working on the Xbox One version.
PS4 also maintains a constant v sync and 1080p while doing it, too.

Lighting differences? Looks like Raymaker's trolling worked on someone.

The PS4 got the better end of the deal with that game. I don't know what you're talking about.

Syrus

Banned
mrw-im-right-and-the-teacher-admits-it-54865.gif

Based Rockstar.
What I the context of this GIF? Love it.

Also rockstar is amazing....I may get this now....hmmm

All the venom and bile spit up each time a major release drops with the same specs on both the PS4 and XO seems just a bit much, no? Does it really hurt that much for those on the other side of the fence from you to have the same experience? Their joy = your pain? That's more than a little sad.

Do you actually believe that MS is paying off all these companies for "parity"? Have any interesting moon landing and 9/11 theories you'd care to float as well?

I don't see much venom or outrage, it's mostly Miles trolling it up.
Most people are waiting for DF I assume. Before then it is stupid to speculate.

To move away from conspiracy theories...

Im happy with this. Less happy than 60 but I'm sure it will be stable if they're pushing full 1080p.

Top Bottom