• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Full Graphics Options Revealed

It was worth the wait fam

512367_o.gif

no FoV slider? Totalbiscuit will not be happy.

The PS4/XB1 version had one so I doubt they would remove that for the PC version...the First Person FoV setting was in the "Controls" settings for those versions so it may not be listed ion the "Graphics" options on PC

Sounds promising. Glad to see it may have been worth the wait!

Competent keyboard and mouse controls are also wonderful, doubly so when aiming has usually been one of the series' main weaknesses.

Mad1723

But what exactly is it?

Antialiasing, if that's what you ask :)

What does raw mouse input mean?
No filtering or messing about with the information received from the mouse. Usually eliminates input lag/smoothing if done properly, making it 1:1. Hopefully it's the way it is implemented.

How does GTA PC play with a mouse/kb? This will be my first time playing a GTA on PC.
Old games are a bit hit and miss. Shooting was always a weak point, but with the improvements done to GTA V + FPS mode, this should be fixed hopefully. Driving is of course not as smooth as on console. M+KB means digital inputs for driving

Kinthalis

Banned
But what exactly is it?

Anti-aliasing solutions. FXAA or fast approximate anti-aliasing is a post processing effect. Once the frame is drawn, it detects edges and blends the pixels around them so as to soften or eliminate aliasing (stair step effect). It's good because it's veyr easy on the hardware, high quality filters don't affect performance much. It also covers everything, geometry aliasing, shader aliasing, texture aliasing, transparency aliasing. It's not so good at sub-pixel alising though, and the main downside is that it's not perfect and tends to soften the entire frame a bit.

MSAA or multi-sampling anti-aliasing is not a post process effect. It works while the frame is still being drawn, and so it has access to certain geometric data, making it very accurate. It samples a varying number (depending on quality) of pixels to come up with a nice blend along edges. It does a tremendous job on geometry aliasing, but it falls short on just about anything else. Doesn't help with texture aliasing or shader aliasing, or transparency aliasing. It's also a lot harder on performance I think it does a better job at subpixel aliasing than FXAA though, IIRC.

Some people (and some different forms of AA) combine these two types of anti-alising for optimal coverage.

HooYaH

Has there been a good implementation of TXAA? When I got my 970 and launched AC:U, TXAA is blurrier than FXAA and looks way worse.

Qassim

High detail streaming while flying: on/off.

Just actually noticed this. This kind of configuration is really cool, it's something that I'm sure many people won't even care about, but it's really great to have that kind of thing.

Has there been a good implementation of TXAA? When I got my 970 and launched AC:U, TXAA is blurrier than FXAA and looks way worse.

That's mainly just a characteristic of TXAA - it focuses a lot on motion clarity. It really put me off TXAA at first, but certain games that have a lot of shimmering in movement it really improves the quality of the image I think. I don't use it all the time, but in in AC4 for example, I felt it looked better than the rest.

Old games are a bit hit and miss. Shooting was always a weak point, but with the improvements done to GTA V + FPS mode, this should be fixed hopefully. Driving is of course not as smooth as on console. M+KB means digital inputs for driving

Yeah it seems like it will be awesome for first person mode. Driving is always weird with a keyboard but I doubt I will want to switch back and forth. The freedom of camera movement with the mouse will be great. I always feel fairly restricted in GTA games on console in terms of the camera.

_machine

I wonder what Long Shadows affects.
I'd say probably shadows rendered on distant terrain from certain large objects or clouds.

Loving the amount of options here; should not be a problem to configure my preffered experience with these settings. Would like to see which different AO methods they have, but I reckon it'll have the basic ones maybe excluding HBAO+ so good enough for me.

void666

Banned
After being disappointed by the PS4 version i may triple dip this.
I hope first person view with mouse/keyboard to be less awkward.

OraleeWey

I'm glad that softshadows will be able to be set to soft

Anti-aliasing.

Removes aliasing (some people call it jaggies).

Antialiasing, if that's what you ask :)

No filtering or messing about with the information received from the mouse. Usually eliminates input lag/smoothing if done properly, making it 1:1. Hopefully it's the way it is implemented.

Anti-aliasing solutions. FXAA or fast approximate anti-aliasing is a post processing effect. Once the frame is drawn, it detects edges and blends the pixels around them so as to soften or eliminate aliasing (stair step effect). It's good because it's veyr easy on the hardware, high quality filters don't affect performance much. It also covers everything, geometry aliasing, shader aliasing, texture aliasing, transparency aliasing. It's not so good at sub-pixel alising though, and the main downside is that it's not perfect and tends to soften the entire frame a bit.

MSAA or multi-sampling anti-aliasing is not a post process effect. It works while the frame is still being drawn, and so it has access to certain geometric data, making it very accurate. It samples a varying number (depending on quality) of pixels to come up with a nice blend along edges. It does a tremendous job on geometry aliasing, but it falls short on just about anything else. Doesn't help with texture aliasing or shader aliasing, or transparency aliasing. It's also a lot harder on performance I think it does a better job at subpixel aliasing than FXAA though, IIRC.

Some people (and some different forms of AA) combine these two types of anti-alising for optimal coverage.

I see. Thanks guys. Looks like FXAA is the way to go since it does an OK job and less resourceful?

Seanspeed

Banned
I see. Thanks guys. Looks like FXAA is the way to go since it does an OK job and less resourceful?
Eh. On PC, you can take resources from one area and put them towards another. And FXAA is really the very minimum you can do apart from no AA, so I always strive to do a bit better than that and if that means having to sacrifice in other areas, I often will.

Just depends on how particular about aliasing you are, I guess.

Durante

I like the "Reflection MSAA" option. Aliased reflections is what my pet peeve moves to once general aliasing is fixed :p

Grief.exe

If you have the overhead, MSAA is better at lower resolutions (1080p). FXAA comes into its own at 4K with the higher resolution negating FXAA's downsides and requiring less overall AA.

Nzyme32

How does GTA PC play with a mouse/kb? This will be my first time playing a GTA on PC.

They say it works well and that they clearly have put a lot of effort into it. Shooting / headshots feel great and easy to pull off with a mouse. They didn't use it that much though, so they don't seem convinced that driving would be as good. Works with ps4 / 360 / xbox one controllers so you can mix and match if you really wanted - which I will

_machine

I like the "Reflection MSAA" option. Aliased reflections is what my pet peeve moves to once general aliasing is fixed :p
Oh I hadn't even noticed that, but I have to say that I'm surprised to see having MSAA for reflections on a Deferred Shading engine since generally you don't want your reflections to be as crisp as the game world due to variance in surface roughness so I'd personally just go for a PPAA on the material, but the option is great though.

Human_me

I hope Nvidia do a Graphics and Performance Guide on GTA5 before it comes out.

They always go into every setting in good detail.

_machine

Just give me 1080p60 on my 780 Ti and I'll be happy.
I see these types of posts all the time and I can't but to wonder that what level of detail are you aiming at? I mean surely with the lowest details you can do 60 fps on 1080 even with lesser hardware.

Qassim

Good feeling about this port, lots of overhead for mods.

Hoping for some wheel and flight stick support.

My main worry regarding mods is the integration of GTA:Online. I suspect they're even more motivated to prevent people from tampering with game files with that.

I was at first relieved to see that you can launch it separately in Steam:

Vg1pTUy.png

But it looks like they're just shortcuts and arguments for the same executable.

Mad1723

Can't say I was particularly impressed with the TXAA in Far Cry 4 TBH...bad implementation or just how it is?

Depends on which version of TXAA they used. Nvidia has multiple implementations and quality levels for this.

I might just end up enabling MFAA in combination with MSAA for maximum AA powaaa :D TXAA is a ressource hog that doesn't always equate to good image quality.

scitek

Expected, but good to finally see it confirmed. Pop-in killer.

Hope I can max this and still maintain 60fps.

I wouldn't expect to use things like TXAA and PCSS and keep 60fps. That would technically be considered "maxing" it, but those are extra settings that are included for flair and really aren't necessary.

This all sounds nice, but I'm still worried about the DRM. I'm almost convinced it'll negate everything good about the port.

If this port is on Max Payne 3 level, I should expect 1080p@60fps at ultra settings with my i5 4670k and GTX 970 + 8 GB RAM, shouldn't I? Perhaps, I'll need to finally overclock my CPU.

Landford

Banned
I almost maxed Max (heh) Payne 3 with my HD6850. Can i expect to run this at least medium settings with a decent framerate?

Durante

fack, you need a $3k-$4k pc to run it @4k60fps. i guess ill stick to screenshots and videos to see how it looks at those settings, must be fucking glorious.
Well, 4k60fps is 8 times console performance just in terms of pushed pixels, never mind all the improved effects and LoD distance on top of that.

Obviously it's going to require serious hardware.

Qassim

“The PC version of Grand Theft Auto V is the result of a collaboration between the core Grand Theft Auto team and our lead PC developers from across all of Rockstar’s studios,” explains the Rockstar North team. “Over the past few years, we realised that in order to really improve our PC versions, the core games team had to work a lot more closely with our PC-focused developers.”

“We first put this into practise with Max Payne 3 and we were really happy with the results, so the same key group that worked on Grand Theft Auto V was much more involved in the development of the PC version this time around."

This IGN interview is really worth reading, Rockstar seem to understand!

Seanspeed

Banned
If this port is on Max Payne 3 level, I should expect 1080p@60fps at ultra settings with my i5 4670k and GTX 970 + 8 GB RAM, shouldn't I? Perhaps, I'll need to finally overclock my CPU.
Max Payne 3 came out three years ago man. I don't know why you'd expect performance from this game, an open world game at that, to be the same.

And I don't see any Ultra settings. If you mean 'max', then no way in hell. There's some very performance intensive settings in there and we have no idea how extreme they've let us go on the population and distance sliders.

Max Payne 3 came out three years ago man. I don't know why you'd expect performance from this game, an open world game at that, to be the same.

And I don't see any Ultra settings. If you mean 'max', then no way in hell. There's some very performance intensive settings in there and we have no idea how extreme they've let us go on the population and distance sliders.

I see

garath

What does raw mouse input mean?

It means it bypasses the Windows settings of sensitivity and acceleration. It shouldn't be a big deal if you have acceleration turned off in windows and the sensitivity set on the 6/11 hash mark anyways.

But it's still nice they included that feature. Looks like a really good PC port. I'm excited!

Top Bottom