• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTTV/Spike is airing an entire episode about Unreal Engine 4 on June 7th

Apocryphon

mediocrity that was UE3

Wut?

showcase-jordansf2-1.jpg

UE3 is a beast.

Both this and Agni look great, but I feel like my ears when it comes to dolbi 5.1 surround sound I really don't see much in terms of huge graphical leaps over stuff I'm currently playing. The stuff I can see looks a lot more extra icing on the cake (particles and the light reflections and such) but I'm not sure if in the middle of gameplay I'll even notice little things like that. Still impressive and games using these engines probably won't be out til 2014-2015

Everything still looks like it's slathered in vaseline, and the geometry and the models and whatnot look flat
It's like they've put loads of effort in creating all of the impressive effects but outside of that it looks just alright
Again though, hundreds of games will make use of it so can't really hate on it

Oh look plastic people and prebaked lighting hidden beneath obnoxious amounts of bloom. Am I suppose to be impressed?
and that's not only it. One of the most impressive things shown, imho, is those statues.

I haven't seen gold and silver ever looking that good in a game

Devildoll

Honestly, i'm a little disappointed in the UE4 elemental demo.
Granted, its only available on crappy youtube quality at the moment.

but rein once said to shacknews that the samaritan demo would look like crap in comparison.
and i cant say i agree with that now after the fact.

lefantome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX4VA-rad08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eSG04ThpSQ

Yes, mods, but the mods are only tweaking .ini values so it's still within the engines capabilities.

yeah all the moder engines have particle effects, but doing what UE4 is doing would have killed performances.

This is why we haven't seen a lot of particles in current gen games.

For example Raytrcing exists from years, most of the work in games is make games looks like reality on the available hardware.

Now we know what UE4 can do, I'm waiting for Crytek reply which I hope will be a lot better than CE 3.4

I think we can expect something at gamescom.

Apocryphon

Oh look plastic people and prebaked lighting hidden beneath obnoxious amounts of bloom. Am I suppose to be impressed?

Well perhaps it wasn't the best example, though I think the bloom helps sell the steam.

The first section of this video shows the most recent additions to UE3's particle system. You might not care for the engine, but it does do some stuff better than CryEngine and nobody will claim that the UE3.x Samaritan demo wasn't impressive.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't care for that bathhouse very much.

I do feel like Epic should hire some UDK modders, or have some small team that works on some sort of game, rather than making pure tech demos like Samaritan and the Elemental stuff, assuming those never make it into a game.

Because no matter how advanced the engine is, people are going to see the monster and say that doesn't look as good as an old man or a pretty princess. They will see a cave and say that doesn't look as nice as an island environment with palm or pine trees. Or they will say things look too shiny if they show off light bouncing or reflections.

That's how I feel, at least. I hope some version of this engine becomes available to hobbyists to see what people do with it. :) Personally, I'm afraid it won't happen or will be another 3 years or so, because how powerful it would be with C++ etc.

alba

Little is the new Big
Don't really like the look of the engine per say but I'm sure with some proper art direction, it should be just fine. The walkthrough and editor look mighty impressive

RiverBed

Banned
with the lava flow, I assume that is real-time dynamic liquid flow. Is that correct?
If it is, I wonder if it will be good enough without the need for a dev to buy a dedicated solution for that like the tool used in that sinking ship game. Also, were the falling and crumbling stones physics based? It certainly felt like it.

I absolutely LOVED the FX. Finally, fire looks like fire. My heart skipped a beat looking at the mountain terrain (immediately imagines ace combat). I wish they showed more like physics, cloth animation, hair, etc.

One pet peeve I hoped the current gen will fix but didn't is not having 'dark' textures. I REALLY hope UE4 and next gen will fix this. dark textures is part of the reason why I like the first Crysis game's look. What I mean by 'dark' is that games, even in a gritty dark setting, still look to have very bright textures that make games look like a cartoon or a kids animation. Killzone came close to fixing this. At some parts, Crysis did it well, at others it was a good try. Semaritan showed potential.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the compiler part is very impressive. I had to tweak manually all these values in CE3 and I had to do in the archive. I never tried to do it while the editor was running, may be it wouldn't crash.

Zabka

Well perhaps it wasn't the best example, though I think the bloom helps sell the steam.

The first section of this video shows the most recent additions to UE3's particle system. You might not care for the engine, but it does do some stuff better than CryEngine and nobody will claim that the UE3.x Samaritan demo wasn't impressive.

The effects in Star Wars 1313 looked pretty impressive too and that's running on UE3.

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with the elemental demo, though moreso with Samaritan.

Also, was I the only person who thought it was funny to keep hearing over and over again from EPIC that UE4 and the demos are what they 'hope' to achieve for next gen games? I mean, if they're bugging Sony and MS to make their consoles powerful, then there doesn't seem to be a lot of optimism.

The fun part in all of this is waiting. I love Sony first party titles, and imagining Uncharted 4 on PS4 makes me giggle like a school girl, but if next gen consoles aren't all that impressive, then for the first time I'll try out PC gaming.

Unreal Engine 4 makes Samaritan demo looks like a piece of crap, Rein? Yeah right... I'm underwhelmed bij the UE4 demo to be honest, expected a lot more.
And i don't like the art in that trailer. Samaritan "Blade Runner" style was perfect!

image-C1AE_4FD20925.gif

image-40EE_4FD209C4.gif

image-0E29_4FD20D47.gif

image-C095_4FD20CD8.gif

Art != Tech.

Besides, remember that this demonstrations are meant for developers, people that can actually appreciate what's going on. That's why they've been showing them at GDC first.

squicken

If Crytek is going Free to Play then they aren't an option as a middleware company. If they are out of the console games business then they aren't going to be in the console engine business

The thing that impressed me the most was the walk through with the editor.

It blew my mind when the dude was showing off all this crazy lighting and particle techniques then he's just like, "oh, by the way, I'm playing this whole thing from inside the viewport in the Unreal Editor." I don't know, maybe it was because I went to college for 3D Modeling and Animation, but all the actual material, particle, and lighting techniques he was showing off as being completely dynamic like that in real time was impressive to me... plus so easy to modify and change in the editor to (I'm not a mod maker but seeing the tools being so easy for developers gives me hope we'll see amazing things).

RiverBed

Banned
Unreal Engine 4 makes Samaritan demo looks like a piece of crap, Rein? Yeah right... I'm underwhelmed bij the UE4 demo to be honest, expected a lot more.
Think about it this way: Samaritan is done with UE3.5. Think how it would look on UE4.
And just to elaborate, there is a big leap between 3.5 and 4.

--------------------
This pic is so good it looks like concept art:
1920x-1

And i don't like the art in that trailer. Samaritan "Blade Runner" style was perfect!

They weren't trying to impress you with Art, they were trying to impress you with Tech. It boils down to if you know shit about the tech, expect to walk away unimpressed. But there is a lot to be excited about from UE4 from a developer standpoint.

Apocryphon

the compiler part is very impressive. I had to tweak manually all these values in CE3 and I had to do in the archive. I never tried to do it while the editor was running, may be it wouldn't crash.

Aye, this was nice. Compiling in UE3 is a pain as you have to close the editor, spend 5 minutes finding the value you're looking for in the scripts, recompile, hope there are no errors, reopen the editor and see if it's what you wanted.

Struct09

The art used in the Samaritan demo is definitely more appealing than that in the Elemental UE4 demo. It's the things such as lighting, particles, and developer tools that make UE4 look impressive.

derFeef

That's style you speak of. That demo was mostly impressive because it used the techniques to accomplish the look. Bokeh, neon lights, wet surfaces etc. It's not that impressive from a technical viewpoint compared to UE4 really.

Think about it this way: Samaritan is done with UE3.5. Think how it would look on UE4.
And just to elaborate, there is a big leap between 3.5 and 4.

Samaritan was still running on Unreal Engine 3 powered by 3 GTX 580's if i am right.
How would it have looked on UE4? I think we will never know... ;-)

They weren't trying to impress you with Art, they were trying to impress you with Tech. It boils down to if you know shit about the tech, expect to walk away unimpressed. But there is a lot to be excited about from UE4 from a developer standpoint.

I know the differences between tech and art. That trailer reminded me of Unreal Tournament/Gears of War by the look of it. Therefore it did nothing for me.
But i have no doubt Unreal Engine 4 would be a very populair engine for the next generation. I hope to see more of it.

Portugeezer

Yeah pretty much.

Watching all the E3 2012 CryEngine demonstrations right before watching the UE4 demo made it quite clear that the former had the advantage.

UE4 is a great step forward for Epic after the mediocrity that was UE3 but in the they're only just catching up with Crytek now. Dynamic lighting? Particles? In engine testing? Those are all features CryEngine 2 had 5 years ago.

UE3 was only good towards the end of this generation, however it's very easy for developers to use from what I know, and more easy than CryEngine, this will probably be the same next gen.

But competition is good.

low-G

These are the most impressive graphics and this is massive leaps and bounds above UE3. Facts. I mean that literally and non-sarcastically. These are the facts.

You can dispute art and whether these techs will be put to good use to no ends. Personally I love the technology but I'm very afraid it won't ever be used.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
UE3 was only good towards the end of this generation, however it's very easy for developers to use from what I know, and more easy than CryEngine, this will probably be the same next gen.

But competition is good.

UE3 is used quite widely now in college programs that lead into game development. Money is saved when you don't have to retrain potential employees on different software.

That dev walkthrough :eek:

yep. real time may be a subtle improvement when you just look at a video or a screenshot, but it's a massive difference for developers and as gamers even if you can't see the improvement in the effects, you'll see the improvement in your games indirectly. this engine will let developers improve their art and gameplay much more readily.

Blizzard

Banned
If Crytek is going Free to Play then they aren't an option as a middleware company. If they are out of the console games business then they aren't going to be in the console engine business
Why would this be the case? As far as I'm aware, Crytek has had defense contractor contracts, which can tend to be lucrative and long-lasting. Why would they stop selling the engine to defense/architecture people on the side?

vio

Lighting and volumetric particles look awesome. I wonder how does the engine handles foliage and big environments. Something like tropical setting in Crysis.
Also.. that cigarette must be heavy as a brick lol.
image-0E29_4FD20D47.gif

I expected more tbh. The lighting in the beginning was very nice though. Very natural. Overall the Square Enix tech demo was much more impressive though.

BHK3

Banned
The textures looked kinda...shitty...

Sure the PARTACOOLS are good and all but aside from the brick-by-brick destruction, I'm far from impressed.

Edit: Watched the dev walkthrough, NOW I'm impressed.

It still has that UE3 feel in regards to things, but I'm still impressed.

This will be great for developers.

The Square Enix tech demo was superb, but I don't see it as being feasible yet. Star Wars 1313 however is in the realms of possibility for the next consoles, and that excites me.

This!

As I watched the videos I managed to get that vibe on things (like a glossy feeling again) but it was almost hidden by all the good Lightning, particles, polycount, and effects going on!

Anyway, if games using the UE4 end up looking like Star Wars 1313 then I'm all IN for it!

Luminous engine is A BEAST, but I don't see it being used by developers as UE4.

Of all the next gen showings so far, Star Wars 1313, Watch Dogs, FF Tech demo, this is by far the weakest... The only thing that kinda of impressed me was the lava. This is specially depressing when you consider tech demos usually show alot more then games do since their specifically built for that and have to deal with everything else a game does, and Watch Dogs/1313 were actual games.

If you told me this was an update to UE3 like the ones we've seen before, I would think twice about it.

By no means was stock UE3 the best looking engine this is gen, and UE4 certainly won't be next gen either. I think for a good workhorse engine it's looking pretty good.

Top Bottom