• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

Oh ghtv. Is the second player always guest? I thought it would show there account name?
Also does 2nd player have to join at the start of each song
Cant the game tell i want to do 2players off the bat? Or am i missing something?

Yes, it's one of the weird things I pointed out in my review. You only really need to re-join on "On Demand" songs.

SeanR1221

Game came in from Best Buy yesterday. It's really cool! I enjoyed playing last night.

I feel like it's a little hard to calibrate with the note + bell set up. Things just always feel a bit..off.

But I've managed 200 note streaks so I guess its not so bad.

Game came in from Best Buy yesterday. It's really cool! I enjoyed playing last night.

I feel like it's a little hard to calibrate with the note + bell set up. Things just always feel a bit..off.

But I've managed 200 note streaks so I guess its not so bad.

Give the Game Calibration option a shot. It takes about a minute (or less) for it to sort itself out but it's been pretty much perfect since then. That's after around 20 hours of using the manual calibration and constantly shifting it around every few songs because I could never get it consistently right.

Lebneney

Banned
This game is a lot of fun, but I find it so frustrating going from "Regular" to "Advanced." It feels like you go from drinking from a water fountain to drinking from a fire hydrant. It sometimes feels like bullshit. I've messed a bit with both modes, but is there a training mode of sorts to nail the parts? I know that in previous Guitar Heroes they included a slowed down training mode for these things, is there one for this game?

Spent three play tokens to enter a Premium show to win that stupid player card thing (I don't even want it, I'm just a completionist).

Got about four and a half hours into Painkiller by Judas Priest and messed it up, came second, and didn't win the fucking prize.

Feels great.

Only five hours to go and I dunno if I can be bothered to try again.

Spent three play tokens to enter a Premium show to win that stupid player card thing (I don't even want it, I'm just a completionist).

Got about four and a half hours into Painkiller by Judas Priest and messed it up, came second, and didn't win the fucking prize.

Feels great.

Only five hours to go and I dunno if I can be bothered to try again.
I can easily understand when a song is that long.

Man it really is a pity that Guitar Hero didn't implement this business model a lot earlier in its life. The one thing that kept me away was always the mountains of DLC. This is my first Guitar Hero and I'm loving it. Calibration took awhile but once I finally got it down I was cooking with gas! Loving everything about it so far and it is incredibly fun.

FrsDvl

This game is a lot of fun, but I find it so frustrating going from "Regular" to "Advanced." It feels like you go from drinking from a water fountain to drinking from a fire hydrant. It sometimes feels like bullshit. I've messed a bit with both modes, but is there a training mode of sorts to nail the parts? I know that in previous Guitar Heroes they included a slowed down training mode for these things, is there one for this game?

Honestly, just stick to playing on Advanced, that's what worked for me. I sucked for a while, and now I'm pretty good at advanced. Don't go back and forth between regular and advanced, there's a bit of a learning curve, but you should be able to master it after a couple of sessions.

SeanR1221

Give the Game Calibration option a shot. It takes about a minute (or less) for it to sort itself out but it's been pretty much perfect since then. That's after around 20 hours of using the manual calibration and constantly shifting it around every few songs because I could never get it consistently right.

Ah nice! Didn't realize this was an option. I'll try it out in free play

Hutty211

I'm pretty sure they work together. The manual "bell" system simply synchronizes your audio and video, while the "game calibration" determines your lag from input to output. The game calibration is done automatically during the tutorial but they don't make that super clear so I kept adjusting the manual calibration trying to chase the right setting while it was trying to autocalibrate. Was driving me crazy at first. So just I would just play a couple of songs on an easier difficulty using the game calibration and see how that goes.

I'm pretty sure they work together. The manual "bell" system simply synchronizes your audio and video, while the "game calibration" determines your lag from input to output. The game calibration is done automatically during the tutorial but they don't make that super clear so I kept adjusting the manual calibration trying to chase the right setting while it was trying to autocalibrate. Was driving me crazy at first. So just I would just play a couple of songs on an easier difficulty using the game calibration and see how that goes.
I've wondered about that since I've noticed after the fact that it doesn't show Game Calibration as being "on" anymore so I assumed it just did some smart lag stuff and picked the right setting but when I look at the manual calibration it has it right in the same area I was always juggling not around and yet it never quite felt right. After doing Game Calibration it just feels right and I never seem to break combos due to the game's fault. Before I would constantly break combos just doing simple regular patterns and strums and there's no reason for that since I've always been quite good at these types of games.

Perhaps it's partly psychological? Whatever the case I'd strongly recommend everyone at least try Game Calibration on a few songs if they think the manual calibration is never feeling right.

Got the game tonight, it's great! GHTV is addictive and has a wide variety, and the Live videos work a lot better than I expected. It's fun to purposely mess up to see the reactions of your band mates (especially the first group in the barn, the lady with the tambourine slams it in anger as she stares daggers at you).

I wish the strum on the guitar wasn't so clicky, though, it's loud enough to be distracting unless I use headphones, and I don't want to play Expert songs late at night because of the extreme clicks that could bug people trying to sleep. My 6 megabit DSL is fast enough for a problem-free GHTV, so that's good (although the GHTV tutorial bugged out, it kept talking about things that weren't onscreen, and there was no Note Highway at all for the first song).

Question: how do you change the difficulty in GHTV? Do you have to reach a certain level first? I'm level 5, and I'd really like to switch to Advanced.

I'm just going to assume my game is improperly calibrated and get used to it, because I don't know how to do it properly myself.

Got the game tonight, it's great! GHTV is addictive and has a wide variety, and the Live videos work a lot better than I expected.

I wish the strum on the guitar wasn't so clicky, though, it's loud enough to be distracting unless I use headphones, and I don't want to play Expert songs late at night because of the extreme clicks that could bug people trying to sleep. My 6 megabit DSL is fast enough for a problem-free GHTV, so that's good (although the GHTV tutorial bugged out, it kept talking about things that weren't onscreen, and there was no Note Highway at all for the first song).

Question: how do you change the difficulty in GHTV? Do you have to reach a certain level first? I'm level 5, and I'd really like to switch to Advanced.
Glad you're enjoying it! You have to hit the little round button next to the Hero power button. That's the start button and brings up a menu where you can change the difficulty.

FrsDvl

Press Pause while playing a song, its a bit hidden. Pause button(s) is next to the hero power bar. Which also took me a while to find.

Lebneney

Banned
Honestly, just stick to playing on Advanced, that's what worked for me. I sucked for a while, and now I'm pretty good at advanced. Don't go back and forth between regular and advanced, there's a bit of a learning curve, but you should be able to master it after a couple of sessions.

Kk thanks! I've been seeing a lot of improvement when it comes to Advanced, but not quite there yet! Maybe one day I'll play on expert (a man can dream)!

Archpath1

Can you get a party to play on ghtv together?
Let's says if we wanted to do GH GAF party and play some songs, have a good time
I see the list can go up to 10 players

That be cool

Hutty211

I've wondered about that since I've noticed after the fact that it doesn't show Game Calibration as being "on" anymore so I assumed it just did some smart lag stuff and picked the right setting but when I look at the manual calibration it has it right in the same area I was always juggling not around and yet it never quite felt right. After doing Game Calibration it just feels right and I never seem to break combos due to the game's fault. Before I would constantly break combos just doing simple regular patterns and strums and there's no reason for that since I've always been quite good at these types of games.

Perhaps it's partly psychological? Whatever the case I'd strongly recommend everyone at least try Game Calibration on a few songs if they think the manual calibration is never feeling right.

Yeah, sorry, I should clarified. I think the "right" way to do it is to set that manual calibration bell first....get the timing as close as possible, THEN do the game calibration and you should be good to go. If anyone thinks their calibration might be slightly off and have never triggered the game calibration, I would try that. The game calibration adjusts itself assuming you're hitting the notes on time so make sure you do it on an easy song that you can keep correct time with. I definitely think this needs to be explained better in-game, it works pretty well but is very different if you're used to the RB system.

Can you get a party to play on ghtv together?
Let's says if we wanted to do GH GAF party and play some songs, have a good time
I see the list can go up to 10 players

That be cool

You could pretend that you are in the same party but you'd really only be in Party Chat on the same channel

Oynox

I tried. I'm not good enough, there are a couple of parts that screw me up every time. ;_;
I tried that on the free weekend as well but couldn't do it... Way too difficult. It is fun how most rock / metal songs are easily two levels more difficult than pop songs. While I can play some songs on expert, others are freaking challenging in advanced... Strange balancing.

BurritoBear

Neo Member
Can anyone explain why in GHTV I am getitng repeatedly beat down by people who only have something like 70% accuracy when I stick closer to the 98%?? I would say that it would be the multiplier...but they are only like level 8 like me... and i don't have the double multiplier option yet...

Can anyone explain why in GHTV I am getitng repeatedly beat down by people who only have something like 70% accuracy when I stick closer to the 98%?? I would say that it would be the multiplier...but they are only like level 8 like me... and i don't have the double multiplier option yet...

Different guitar upgrades, different perks, different difficulty level, or a combination of the three.

Ooooh, i guess the difficulty makes a lot of sense :) .. i didn't realize i could change the difficulty in the GHTV channel :/
I didn't realize until after playing for many hours that you can upgrade for higher base points per note, faster multiplier boosts and other things that will really help your score. Just gotta keep earning coins.

I didn't realize until after playing for many hours that you can upgrade for higher base points per note, faster multiplier boosts and other things that will really help your score. Just gotta keep earning coins.
To be fair those upgrades don't even become available until level 7 or so (going by memory).

I just got the game this week. Does anyone know how often the songs are rotated on a "program" on a specific channel? I only ask because for 2 or 3 days my schedule has made it where I run into the same program and it is the exact same songs. Do they switch it up every couple of days? Every week?

Loving the game, just want some clarification on this if anyone has the info so I could adjust my schedule to avoid it if possible or I've just been unlucky. Thanks.

I just got the game this week. Does anyone know how often the songs are rotated on a "program" on a specific channel? I only ask because for 2 or 3 days my schedule has made it where I run into the same program and it is the exact same songs. Do they switch it up every couple of days? Every week?

Loving the game, just want some clarification on this if anyone has the info so I could adjust my schedule to avoid it if possible or I've just been unlucky. Thanks.

The shows differ most of the time from what I understand. Metal shows usually have you run into similar songs though

The shows differ most of the time from what I understand. Metal shows usually have you run into similar songs though

The thing with the shows is that they always have to last exactly 30 or 60 minutes, with 15ish minute blocks of three songs. So there will always be sequences of songs which fit together better. Like, if a 6 minute song shows up then it will always have to be alongside a couple of short songs, and so I imagine there will be quite a lot of sequences which repeat in 15 minute sets.

big_erk

I have to take every bad thing I said about this game back. The New guitar is awesome. It adds a new dimension to play without completely casting off what made the earlier games great. GHTV is a lot more fun than I expected and keeps me coming back for more. Thanks to Target's BF deal I picked the game up and have been playing since.

Can't wait for my other BF purchase to arrive Monday. Jumped on the 65" 4K Vizio from Best Buy. Guess it's time to upgrade my Netflix sub to UHD.

I have to take every bad thing I said about this game back. The New guitar is awesome. It adds a new dimension to play without completely casting off what made the earlier games great. GHTV is a lot more fun than I expected and keeps me coming back for more. Thanks to Target's BF deal I picked the game up and have been playing since.

Can't wait for my other BF purchase to arrive Monday. Jumped on the 65" 4K Vizio from Best Buy. Guess it's time to upgrade my Netflix sub to UHD.

Nice tv choice, shouldn't give you any latency for plastic guitar games (or Rocksmith)

PaulLFC

Apologies for the dumb question - I'm considering buying this on a Black Friday deal but I'm a bit confused about the GH Live vs GH TV aspect.

Reading the OP I gather GH TV is a rotating selection of constantly changing songs, and this is where you can use "tokens" to play whichever songs you like if you don't want to wait for them to appear.

GH Live is where I'm a bit confused. These on-disc songs - can I play these whenever I want, as many times as I want, without spending tokens? As in do the on-disc songs work in the same way as past GH / RB games with unlimited play, and it's only the new songs / GH Live that I'd need to spend tokens if I want to play specific songs?

Top Bottom