• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

kris.

Banned
My parents got a PS4 today just so my dad could play Guitar Hero again. First guitar they got, one of the fret buttons was stuck. They took it back, got another one. This one's strum bar is busted. Gotta go back tomorrow and try again. This is ridiculous.

My parents got a PS4 today just so my dad could play Guitar Hero again. First guitar they got, one of the fret buttons was stuck. They took it back, got another one. This one's strum bar is busted. Gotta go back tomorrow and try again. This is ridiculous.

That's some rotten luck, mine has been fine since I got it. There were definitely some issues in manufacturing though, a good chunk of this thread had to get replacements.

kris.

Banned
That's some rotten luck, mine has been fine since I got it. There were definitely some issues in manufacturing though, a good chunk of this thread had to get replacements.

Glad it's not an isolated issue then. Hopefully third luck's the charm today. Played a little with downstrum only and it was a blast.

iKhayal18

Great game and very well thought TV system. I bought it for 65€ on Black Friday and I don't regret it at all.

The Live mode is awesome, with good headphones, even though everything is just an act, it increases the immersion. The song selection also covers a wide range of genres compared to previous GH (although I'm not into rock, I have to say that thanks to GH3 I discovered a lot of great songs).

But of course, the GH:TV mode is the start of the show. Hundreds of songs at your disposal from day one. I just hope they give us more FREE WEEKENDS and that they increase the song catalogue frequently (more EDM songs and Pop songs would be great).

(I got the Wii U version, by the way, and I haven't detected anything that makes me thing that it could be worse than the rest of versions. The only "bad" thing is that the Gamepad in this game only shows a black screen)

U2NUMB

I am on guitar #2 and it still has problems... so annoying with one button that sticks. Gonna have to file it down. Beyond that I HATE that the dongle being on the system for me makes me miss so many notes.

My X1 is up in the air over my TV (I have a 2 year old) and so what I have done now is string the dongle with a USB cable across the ceiling so that when I play its right over me. Believe it or not it has helped a TON.

Smarty86

I am on guitar #2 and it still has problems... so annoying with one button that sticks. Gonna have to file it down. Beyond that I HATE that the dongle being on the system for me makes me miss so many notes.

My X1 is up in the air over my TV (I have a 2 year old) and so what I have done now is string the dongle with a USB cable across the ceiling so that when I play its right over me. Believe it or not it has helped a TON.

Yeah i can totally confirm the USB dongle problems. When i first played with 2 guitars the dongles were right beneath each other which was obviously causing huge signal problems. There were often passages where none of the two guitars hit any note which was 100% not the fault of the players. It happened even in extremely easy parts. Now i bought an USB Hub where i put the dongles further away from each other which reduced the problems drastically but not fully. There are still notes missed which should have been fine. This also happens to me in singleplayer but not as often as with more than one guitar. I hope there will be a better guitar/dongle in the future since this is a pain especially in online MP.

EYEL1NER

I came to the thread to ask for USB hub suggestions and see that they were just recently mentioned. I got a great deal on a guitar bundle and another guitar for Xbone ($36 for the guitar/game/mic BB bundle and $20 for another guitar). I want to play with both guitars and the mic but obviously don't have enough USB ports for those three plus an external HDD. I guess if I copy the game to the internal memory then I could free up my port and use all three but I figure a USB hub is the way to go. Is there a gaming specific one that people like or can I just go with a cheap generic 3.0 hub? I see that there are some cool Xbone-specific hubs that incorporate onto the end of the console or under the front.

Who has one that they like?

fernoca

I came to the thread to ask for USB hub suggestions and see that they were just recently mentioned. I got a great deal on a guitar bundle and another guitar for Xbone ($36 for the guitar/game/mic BB bundle and $20 for another guitar). I want to play with both guitars and the mic but obviously don't have enough USB ports for those three plus an external HDD. I guess if I copy the game to the internal memory then I could free up my port and use all three but I figure a USB hub is the way to go. Is there a gaming specific one that people like or can I just go with a cheap generic 3.0 hub? I see that there are some cool Xbone-specific hubs that incorporate onto the end of the console or under the front.

For USB hubs on which you'll plug multiple things like an HDD and other accesories that use energy and transfer data constantly; always go for external power.

I use two PlayStation branded ones, no problems for 2 years. I also have a cheaper one I got on eBay (a month ago) and so far so good.

But self powered hubs always gave me trouble on the same devicdes.

Smarty86

I own a PS4 so i don't have special recommendations for XBOX USB Hubs. Generally you might want a USB Hub where the two guitar dongles are seperated as far as possible while you do probably not want them on the Back of the XBOX since you might get problems of the connection if they are hidden behind an object. At least that is what my experience with the guitar hero dongles tells me.

New premium shows per The Hero Feed.

Country Flavor
  • Carrie Underwood – Good Girl
  • Ashley Clark – Greyhound
  • Eric Church – Creepin’

2015 Rocks!
  • Of Mice & Men – Broken Generation
  • Five Finger Death Punch – Jekyll and Hyde
  • Motionless in White – Break the Cycle

Not my favourites but they haven't really had much new Country stuff so fair enough.

So I'm finished with almost all of the trophies, the only one missing is Strumillionaire. 620k strums to go. Fuck.
Where do you see how far you have to go? I would like to know how many hero powers I still need to do, I'm getting tired of that dumb bomb (I can see why it is helpful but skipping sections of a song is not actually fun) but I also don't want to spend credits on any other powers. I think FSG needs to rethink their power system.

Where do you see how far you have to go? I would like to know how many hero powers I still need to do, I'm getting tired of that dumb bomb (I can see why it is helpful but skipping sections of a song is not actually fun) but I also don't want to spend credits on any other powers. I think FSG needs to rethink their power system.

It's in the options menu of the initial menu (where you choose between TV and Live)

FrsDvl

New premium shows per The Hero Feed.

Country Flavor
  • Carrie Underwood – Good Girl
  • Ashley Clark – Greyhound
  • Eric Church – Creepin’

2015 Rocks!
  • Of Mice & Men – Broken Generation
  • Five Finger Death Punch – Jekyll and Hyde
  • Motionless in White – Break the Cycle

Not my favourites but they haven't really had much new Country stuff so fair enough.

No new live show again :(

Sorry for the late answer. Within the main menu, where you choose between Live and TV, press 3 for Options and choose Trophies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is there a list of songs added to ghtv since release? I haven't played in ages but I'm itching to get back

Is there a list of songs added to ghtv since release? I haven't played in ages but I'm itching to get back

Looks like they have it listed on their site: https://www.guitarhero.com/game/artists

Just make sure to change it over to GHTV because I stared at it for like five seconds trying to figure out why the songs were so old.

Also there's (what I believe to be) an official Guitar Hero Live playlist on Spotify and that's fairly up to date (doesn't have the last few songs the official site shows) and of course there's probably stuff simply not on Spotify. But it's handy if you want to check what they sound like.

Looks like they have it listed on their site: https://www.guitarhero.com/game/artists

Just make sure to change it over to GHTV because I stared at it for like five seconds trying to figure out why the songs were so old.

Also there's (what I believe to be) an official Guitar Hero Live playlist on Spotify and that's fairly up to date (doesn't have the last few songs the official site shows) and of course there's probably stuff simply not on Spotify. But it's handy if you want to check what they sound like.
I should tweet at FreeStyle to make a YouTube playlist with all of the music videos for all songs on GHTV. There are lots of time I want to watch the video without playing but I have to play!

Ashtar

So I got the 2 guitar bundle from GameStop and started playing ghtv but fm a righty and my left hand is garbage at fine motor tasks, I'm trying to find the option to flip the controls so I can play righty is that anywhere? I know it popped out when I first started but when I looked in options it wasn't there

Diancecht

I've never played a guitar/ryhtm game before but I really want to play one now that I have a new gen console. My only option is to either get this or Rock Band 4. Lack of metal songs kind of worries me but Game has it for £55 and I have a £10 discount plus £40 in store credit. So I guess for £5 it's a no-brainer haha.

DagsJT

I've never played a guitar/ryhtm game before but I really want to play one now that I have a new gen console. My only option is to either get this or Rock Band 4. Lack of metal songs kind of worries me but Game has it for £55 and I have a £10 discount plus £40 in store credit. So I guess for £5 it's a no-brainer haha.

For someone new to the genre and no previous RB DLC, GH is definitely the better option. GHTV is fantastic and you get a lot of content,albeit you don't actually own it if that bothers you.

So I got the 2 guitar bundle from GameStop and started playing ghtv but fm a righty and my left hand is garbage at fine motor tasks, I'm trying to find the option to flip the controls so I can play righty is that anywhere? I know it popped out when I first started but when I looked in options it wasn't there

That has to be in the options menu somewhere... or at least I'd assume there's a flip mode.

I can confirm it's in the pause menu since there's an achievement related to using Lefty Flip that I did. You may have missed that the start menu is accessed in song by hitting the little circle buttons next to the Hero Power big fat button (which is next to the strum bar).

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Smarty86

Does anyone know if the two guitar interference issues are maybe resolved? Will have to test in the next weeks. Else at least one guitar will go back, since it is not playable at a competitive level with two guitars atm.
But good job on increasing functionality of the game. Hope we get a new channel by christmas :)

Aiii

So not worth it
Didn't have much time to play in a while, but I played some yesterday. I enjoyed myself, don't get me wrong, but game still has a few problems.
1. Still not able to play against 10 real people instead of offline folks. Which is just not good. There's only two GH Live channels, matching people up should be easy as could be. I mostly played by myself, at one point there were four online people -including myself- and then we changed from one music block to another and they were gone again. Crying shame
2. As much as I enjoy Knife Party, and I do, that track (and several others like it) have nothing to do with Guitar Hero. Just nothing at all. It's electronic music, not a guitar in sight. It's not why I'm playing Guitar Hero.

All in all it's a great game, but I wish they would sort out the first point since it's such a big part of the game and definitely adds a lot to the fun factor if you actually have some live competition.

New patch is great, Rivals is cool and so glad the daily rewards are fixed! Also some cool new additions like being able to instantly replay a song and favourite.

Also "Day - Play GHTV for 24 Hours" trophy now displays time in hours and minutes instead of just minutes! Only 2 hours 5 minutes to go for me :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's an awesome update. I'll probably actually start using my play tokens now.

Lebneney

Banned
I just had my first rival match. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! I loved it. Great update!

edit: It was made more epic because it was a match over Eye of the Tiger by Survivor.

Oynox

The winner of each battle earns an extra +100 Status XP, along with bragging rights of course.

That is just dumb. You'll be more sooner than later level 20 and obsolete of XP... coins are way more valuable.

But yeah, they somehow have to keep them rare, I guess. Besides of that, great update. I am really looking forward to my first rivals battle

That is just dumb. You'll be more sooner than later level 20 and obsolete of XP... coins are way more valuable.

But yeah, they somehow have to keep them rare, I guess. Besides of that, great update. I am really looking forward to my first rivals battle

I don't know why they just won't make levels unlimited and just tie them to the score you earn(which they keep track of anyways). Being stuck at 20 forever is so incredibly meaningless and it would be cool to see how much people have played with levels in the thousands.

Oynox

I don't know why they just won't make levels unlimited and just tie them to the score you earn(which they keep track of anyways). Being stuck at 20 forever is so incredibly meaningless and it would be cool to see how much people have played with levels in the thousands.

Yup, at least give some appeal to play on. Earn plays by completing songs on platinum or something... but as soon as you hit max level now, you don't get a thing after that. :(

Smarty86

To be honest I am glad there are not infinite levels like in many other games. I like to just have the game "complete". And I am not even Lvl 20. I think I will have to play 20 h to get to Lvl20, which is enough for me. I hate games that feel like they are open ended. Always feels like someone forcing me to play more. I wan't to play a game because it is fun in itself and not because someone put in ridiculous amounts of experience you need to level up. But I guess everyone has another opinion on this.

To be honest I am glad there are not infinite levels like in many other games. I like to just have the game "complete". And I am not even Lvl 20. I think I will have to play 20 h to get to Lvl20, which is enough for me. I hate games that feel like they are open ended. Always feels like someone forcing me to play more. I wan't to play a game because it is fun in itself and not because someone put in ridiculous amounts of experience you need to level up. But I guess everyone has another opinion on this.

Well my idea for the infinite leveling would not really give you anything it would just be an indicator of how much "Score" you have amassed over your time playing. I think it would be really cool to be able to see the new guys who aren't level 20 yet and then the guys who are hundreds of levels in. Especially now with the Rivals thing, it'd be cool as hell for some low level guy to beat someone in the hundreds. Most lobbies I get in now are just filled with Level 20's and it is incredibly silly. At the end of every song you see the same garbage "max level achieved" that will never change.

It would be there to keep track of the time you have put in the game, nothing more.

Quonny

Rival battles are awesome and really add tension. They're a great addition.

I usually play the game and and my wife reads a book on the couch next to me, but when a rival battle comes up she stops reading and starts shouting "get that fucker"!

They'd have to draw thousands of level insignia! They can't afford to do that! :p

Weezer
System of A Down

Champions Setlist featuring Queen

Good stuff.

Worth mentioning that Weezer is the Live show we've known about for a while.

Edit: Fuck me, SOAD is definitely the hardest premium they've put out right? Nowhere near the top 3 despite five starring everything (somehow)

Top Bottom