• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Fusebox

Banned
jazzmasters and jags are fairly chunky and slow compared to strats and teles but they have an amazing grunge tone. And the SG is a true workhorse, guys like Angus Young, Derek Trucks and Tony Iommi dont fuck around.

Jazzmaster and Jaguar bridges are made of fail however. This is a well known fact. The Japanese models are worse because the grooves in the saddles are more shallow. Well made instruments but it's a pretty shitty design.

If you play with a bit of force the strings CONSTANTLY jump out of the grooves and fuck you up. AVRI's are the best non-custom shop option available. If you buy used you can save a ton of money. These aren't the most popular models and don't hold their value particularly well.

Jaguar scale is 24". That's pretty darn short. The strings are easier to bend but the instrument cannot be intonated as well. Note separation isn't as well defined. I'm not going to go into the pros and cons of long scale vs. short scale. It's a matter of personal preference. I'll just say this. Tonally, the short scale of a Jaguar or Les Paul (24.75) is more akin to dreamy expressionism where a long scale (27") is more like photo realism.

Jazzmaster scale is 25.5". Same as a Strat and a Tele. There shouldn't be too big of an adjustment to get used to here.

My personal axe to grind with SGs doesn't have anything to do with the issues I posted earlier in the thread. All that stuff I can get used to... or I'll just buy an instrument that doesn't have those problems.

It feels like the 12th fret is in the middle of the neck which is just awkward for me. SG Standards and SG Classics have really chunky necks too. They aren't thick like an 50's Les Paul neck but they have a wide/fat shoulder and a fairly flat back which I don't care for.

I LOVE '50s necks on Les Pauls. I can play the R7 all day and not feel fatigued in the slightest. It's a fat ROUND neck. Not as much shoulder.

Don't forget Pete Townshend. I wanted an SG for the longest time because I'm a huge Who fan. Once I got one I just didn't gel with it. I went through two before I finally decided it wasn't a guitar for me.

I'd much rather go for a Hamer Studio/Studio Custom or a Les Paul Special Double Cutaway. Not the same I know but if you gotta have a double cutaway!
1960lespaul.png

GATC59C_sm.jpg

The Hamer is more like a PRS but who cares. So gud... <3

SpoonyBard said:
Personally I have never found a Gibson to be neck heavy. Epiphones and Tokai models yes, but Gibsons are generally made of lighter woods. Anyway, I recently bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard DC+, which looks something like this:

http://doghouseguitars.com/includes/images/Guitars/DC/1.jpg

24 frets, which is two more than what I need, but otherwise it's great.

Gotta disagree. Some guitars are lighter than others. All Les Pauls nowadays are weight relieved in some way though. The traditional Standards have "swiss cheese" holes but the regular standards are chambered. Gibson uses lighter woods compared to whom? Compared to other similarly priced builders? Absolutely not. Compared to budged manufacturers? For sure.

It's hard to gauge if Gibson uses lighter woods or not because of how almost everything they make is weight relieved in some way. Even the top shelf historic models are weight relieved in some way.

My '02 Historic R7 weighs 8.5 lb's. That's a really good weight for a Historic series Les Paul. It's got some form of weight relief I'm sure. BUT... a lot of Les Paul Standards (newer ones especially) weigh in the mid-upper 7 lbs range. That's insane for a Les Paul and it's the result of chambering.

That's all beside the point. SGs in particular ARE neck heavy as a general rule. This is a widely held belief that can be easily confirmed by consulting google. Of course these things should always be considered in a guitar by guitar basis as no two are exactly alike. Just because most of them are doesn't mean there's not a ton out there that aren't. But yeah... SGs are generally neck heavy. So are Firebirds. :p

I only bring it up as an issue a shopper should be looking out for. I'm describing factors I would be looking for in an SG if I were to go out shopping for one.

1. Tone - unplugged. If it goes "thunk" put it back.
2. Tone - plugged in. Is there any fretbuzz that you can hear through the amp? Do the pickups squeal? Does it sound like how you want your next guitar to sound? Play it through what you're gonna be running it through at home if that's at all possible. I have some guitars that sound great through one amp and awful through others.
3. Feel. Only you can tell.
4. Balance and Weight. Bring a strap with you and go try out some SGs. You'll know what I'm talking about.

Ducky_McGee said:
It's hard to gauge if Gibson uses lighter woods or not because of how almost everything they make is weight relieved in some way. Even the top shelf historic models are weight relieved in some way.

Necks are not weight relieved. Obviously the weight relief chambers or holes should in the body make the guitar more neck heavy, but because the neck woods are lighter that doesn't happen all that often. I think all manufacturers use some kind of weight relief these days, when it comes to Les Paul style guitars... I used to have a Gibson LP Custom from late '70s weighting over 4.5 kilos, and that was too heavy to be comfortable, at least for me :)

Firebirds have different type of neck than SG's, and also heavier tuning machines, so they tend to be more neck heavy.

SpoonyBard said:
Necks are not weight relieved. Obviously the weight relief chambers or holes should in the body make the guitar more neck heavy, but because the neck woods are lighter that doesn't happen all that often. I think all manufacturers use some kind of weight relief these days, when it comes to Les Paul style guitars... I used to have a Gibson LP Custom from late '70s weighting over 4.5 kilos, and that was too heavy to be comfortable, at least for me :)

Firebirds have different type of neck than SG's, and also heavier tuning machines, so they tend to be more neck heavy.

Google.com

SG + Neck Heavy

I REALIZE necks aren't weight relieved. The fact of the matter is the placement of the strap button and the mass of the neck compared to the body makes the neck dive if you're standing up with a strap and you take your hand off of it. It's weird I'm even arguing with someone about this since it's such a well documented issue.

Have you ever played an SG whilst standing up? You cannot take your hand off the neck without it taking a dive for the floor. Will it impede your playing? Not really, especially if you're sitting down. Will you want to invest in a good wide strap? Yes.

The placement of the strap button (and the crappyness of the strap button) doesn't help. If you move the strap button to the upper horn that will help a lot. That looks weird though. You can always add a bigsby.
LPSG61.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Ducky_McGee said:
Jazzmaster and Jaguar bridges are made of fail however. This is a well known fact. The Japanese models are worse because the grooves in the saddles are more shallow. Well made instruments but it's a pretty shitty design.

Yep, still doesn't stop me from wanting one. Every few years I decide I must have one, then I play one, then I remember how poorly they suit my playing style so I put it back on the shelf and forget it about again until the next Dinosaur Jr album comes out and then the cycle starts again.

I almost bought this Mustang I'm playing in this photo when I was in Tokyo, because I fell in love with the colour scheme - I told the guy I'd take it but he had no hard cases in the store and I didn't want to fly it back in a soft-case.

4377247488_1fe2f66e8d.jpg

Here it is in a manga I love called "solanin" which was the reason I wanted this color scheme:

4386283514_3eb44c0147.jpg

Ducky_McGee said:
Have you ever played an SG whilst standing up? You cannot take your hand off the neck without it taking a dive for the floor.

The SG weight seems to suit the shorter guys better because their centre of gravity is lower, thats why Angus can play the ho/po intro to Thunderstruck without his headstock diving:

angusyoung_wideweb__470x325,0.jpg

Here's a snap of my latest addition:

5031739126_810f24911b.jpg

Early 90's RG550, Paf Pro in the neck, Evo in the bridge, Wizard I neck. It's my ultimate work-horse, I haven't played my other guitars since I got this one. It basically plays itself.

Also scored a Crowther Hotcake overdrive pedal recently too, it has a very unique tone that goes from clean boost to creamy to grungy and filthy but it retains the original guitar tone at the same time. Its replaced my TS7 and SD-1.

Crowther%20Hot%20Cake.jpg

Sucks about the Jazzmaster bridges, I guess that's why J Mascis uses tune-o-matics on his. I'm still interested in one tho, I like the idea of having a more idiosyncratic guitar that'll force me to try new things with my playing. I can do pretty much anything I want with a Fat Strat anyway.

Always liked the Mustang, though I think new models are overpriced at almost 1000 bucks. Would buy it yesterday if I could find one around 500.

Solanin was an awesome manga...sad, but awesome

FWIW I have a J Mascis Jazzy and I'm in love with it. I was a Strat/Les Paul player before. There's something funky with the PU toggle switch but I'll address it as part of a PU upgrade.

At first I kept the switch to the lead circuit but I'm startin to appreciate the muddy tone of the rhythm section.

Ikopi

Ducky_McGee said:
I REALIZE necks aren't weight relieved. The fact of the matter is the placement of the strap button and the mass of the neck compared to the body makes the neck dive if you're standing up with a strap and you take your hand off of it. It's weird I'm even arguing with someone about this since it's such a well documented issue.

Have you ever played an SG whilst standing up? You cannot take your hand off the neck without it taking a dive for the floor. Will it impede your playing? Not really, especially if you're sitting down. Will you want to invest in a good wide strap? Yes.

Yes I have an SG (not a Gibson sadly, but cheaper model) and it dives to the floor straight away if I take my hand of the neck. Does a wider strap makes that much of a difference? I could try getting another one then. I should get strap locks too.

Ikopi said:
Yes I have an SG (not a Gibson sadly, but cheaper model) and it dives to the floor straight away if I take my hand of the neck. Does a wider strap makes that much of a difference? I could try getting another one then. I should get strap locks too.

It helps a bit, especially if the strap is made of material that adds some friction. You could also try moving the strap button to the tip of the horn.

Personally I have never experienced neck heaviness with a Gibson, even my Thunderbird bass is well balanced. My old Washburn DC model was a bit neck heavy, it could take a dive towards the floor if you weren't careful, but that thing had a very thick and heavy maple neck.

SpoonyBard said:
It helps a bit, especially if the strap is made of material that adds some friction. You could also try moving the strap button to the tip of the horn.

Personally I have never experienced neck heaviness with a Gibson, even my Thunderbird bass is well balanced. My old Washburn DC model was a bit neck heavy, it could take a dive towards the floor if you weren't careful, but that thing had a very thick and heavy maple neck.

With a Gibson, Gibson what? Gibson SG? That's all I'm talking about. Les Paul's aren't neck heavy. Neither are ES335s. The design of the SG in conjunction with the placement of the strap button makes the neck prone to diving.

Fusebox

Banned
monchi-kun said:
One more pedal to add to my collection:

Blackout Effectors A Special Twosome
5093626589_864264c757.jpg

Fuck yeaaaah! That looks awesome!

monchi-kun said:
Speaking of pedals, what are you guys rockin'?

4814187940_4db4c4cc52_z.jpg

Ibanez DE7 LE Delay/Echo, T-Rex Twister Chorus/Flanger, Vox Ice-9 OD, Boss DS-1 OD, Ibanez TS7 OD, Boss SD-1 Dist, Vox Satchurator Dist, Hardwire TL2 Dist, Boss MT-2 Dist, Jim Dunlop Dimebag CFH Wah, MXR Compressor

Although these days all I use is:

CFH Wah -> Hardwire TL2 -> Crowther Hotcake (not pictured) -> T-Rex Twister -> Ibanez DE7

Not as boutique as your pedal collection that's for sure!

Fugu

Ducky_McGee said:
The problem isn't the design of the bridge itself but the general transition from fatter strings to thinner strings. My strings don't jump if I use 52s, and after I filed the grooves down a bit I wasn't having problems even with 49s. If you're lazy/like really thin strings, mustang bridges are a drop-in replacement.

1jt75t.jpg

I hit a fucking asshole deer so I had to sell that Hamer. I have these mics though so that'll keep me busy. Check it!

Those are hand made by a guy I kinda sorta know who posts on gearslutz. Fucking amazing mics.

my new dual fuzz pedal arrived...holy shit, i've never had a more versatile pedal. plenty of usable gain from boost to a subtle OD all the way to loud fuzz and scooped metal tones. this may be the last drive/distortion/fuzz pedal I buy

owlbeak

Picked up a cheap Ibanez FZ-7 Fuzz the other day. Very pleased with it's sound especiall for the $40 price. Gives a great vintage sound.

Also just ordered an Ibanez AFS75T today

afs75tRed.jpg

Excited to play it! :D

Here's mine :

IMG_2546-3.jpg

IMG_2547-3.jpg

Custom hand-made by a local luthier, and set up with Bareknuckles pickups. I'm doing Blues/Blues rock and I'm playing it with just a Vox Ac4tv-8 (5W tube amp) and a Boss OD-3 (overdrive pedal)

IMG_2554.jpg

Love it
emot-911.gif

Not sure how much it cost to make since it was not created for me, but it did cost 700 € to have this (+ leather case) from the guy it was created for. Worth every cent.

Took a new picture of my gig rig today and thought I'd post it here as well...

prs_esp.jpg

Mesa Mark V Head with a custom Saxon 1x12" slant cab (Emi Delta Pro loaded)

PRS 25th Anniversary Custom 24 with 57/08s and WT neck

ESP Eclipse II with Duncan P-Rails

It's working kit: I'm playing hard rock and classic rock/alt rock stuff with two different bands of old fuckers... :lol

Woffls

Good lord that Eagle guitar is beautiful. Right now I'm playing a Gibson Les Paul Studio, I don't like playing Les Pauls while sitting down, but that doesn't stop me eyeing up the black one with silver hardware in the local shop >_< I want to get rid of my Dean Vendetta 2.0 so I can justify buying something else.

Recently swapped out my Line6 Spider II 75w for a Vox Valvetronix VT30. Very happy with the decision so far, but I'll need a pedal to get the metal out of it I think.

owlbeak

Guitar GAF - will be receiving my hollow body here in a couple of days. Anything I need to know about opening it? I thought I heard somewhere you need to let it get adjusted to ambient air/humidity in your house before busting it out of the box? Myth? Truth?

Also, I have taught myself how to play guitar over the years and stopped about 9 years ago but recently got back into playing in a heavy way. Along the way, I learned chords and technique but never learned scales because I primarily played rhythm. Well, I've been getting deep into blues/delta blues and blues rock and the like, and I figured I needed to learn a pentatonic blues scale or two and OH MY GOD.

It's like the floodgates of guitar knowledge have opened and instantly brought my skill level up 10-fold. Who'd have guessed haha. I'm sure it is common knowledge, but it was a pretty big mind fuck last week when I realized that most of the songs I am listening to basically just jam up and down the blues scale and now I can keep up with them and improvise on my own. :D Most rewarding day of playing I've had in a while.

monchi-kun said:
Man, I need to learn my scales

Yeah, I'm with you.

On another note, are there any killer black friday deals out there for guitar stuff? I'm open for anything but am contemplating a new amp.

Horsebite said:
Well, I've been getting deep into blues/delta blues and blues rock and the like, and I figured I needed to learn a pentatonic blues scale or two and OH MY GOD.
I've been playing for about a year without lessons and I guess I need to learn this too. Can you point me in a direction?

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/blues/index.php

It's this scale (pentatonic and the blues variation of it). Basically you can play it anywhere on the fretboard. Just concentrate on the root note or the way you place your fingers and you should be fine. It's really simple and most people should be able to play some basic solos with this. :) Also try some bending and variations of your own. Searching youtube for uncomplicated blues backing tracks is helpful, too.

MotorbreathX said:
On another note, are there any killer black friday deals out there for guitar stuff? I'm open for anything but am contemplating a new amp.
Apparently, Sam Ash is blowing out PRS Miras for $999 on Black Friday this year... that's a spectacular deal on a killer guitar!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Not my pic but mine is this model:

JWO3G.jpg

Takamine TF430SS

Wonderful in every way.

So I haven't played guitar in a good 13 - 14 years give or take, but I've decided to get back into it. I went out and got a saddle to replace the one that went missing, got new strings, and a Korg GA-1 tuner. Ready to jump back into things.

This is my guitar its a Washburn Lyon limited edition series from 1991/1992. I got it back in 91/92 when I was like 13 - 14 years old. It was my birthday gift that year. It's not the worlds best guitar but the thing can take a beating and not show, and sounds pretty damn good. I love it.

5205640562_7ff22245a6_b.jpg

This is my amp. It's a 1973 solid-state Traynor TS-10 10 watt combo. It was my brother's first guitar amp, (I believe my parents got it used for him) and when I got into playing the guitar he passed it on to me. Ironically the thing is older than I am, and just beat to hell. It's been in my basement for at least a decade so its filthy right now. The knobs have been missing as long as its been in my possession and it distorts from time to time. Not sure what's wrong with it but it'll do for now. Thinking about seeing if I can find a newer used practice amp in the same size for like less than 50 bucks, but we'll see.

5205640620_9f8af9ee8e.jpg

Hey Guitar-Gaf

I finally upgraded my Guitar:
DSC00487.jpg

PRS Custom 24 with a wide and thin neck. Her name is 'Olivia'.

My old guitar is a Squire Tele 'Classic Vibe' model. Needless to say, I feel very good about this upgrade.

Damaged

Got my new toy in the post yesterday (excuse the crappy phone pics):

IMG-20101214-00054.jpg

IMG-20101214-00055.jpg

Its an '06 Reissue Ampeg Dan Armstrong, only cost me £499 as it was missing one of the two swapable pickups (the Sustain trebble humbucker) . Emailed Kent Armstrong (the guy who made the reissue pickups) and he can make any pickup i want to fit it for only $120!!

So damn happy with it, wanted one of these since i saw Greg Ginn use one with Black Flag and it really doesnt dissapoint

Top Bottom