• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Damaged

monchi-kun said:
Nice score damaged

Cheers, only thing is that it weighs a ton. Feels like a Les Paul or heavier but its a pretty slim body, must be down to the acrylic they used for the body

Ducky_McGee said:
Jazzmaster and Jaguar bridges are made of fail however. This is a well known fact. The Japanese models are worse because the grooves in the saddles are more shallow. Well made instruments but it's a pretty shitty design.

A cheap fix for that is just putting a buzz-stop on it.

Damaged said:
Cheers, only thing is that it weighs a ton. Feels like a Les Paul or heavier but its a pretty slim body, must be down to the acrylic they used for the body

yeah, I tried my friend's Satriani Crystal Planet JS which was also acrylic, and that thing was heavy.

Nice axe man.

My sister bought me an Axe Fx last week, can't wait for it to arrive. :D

rar

im poor and i dont have a camera

mexi strat
blues junior

yamaha cg-something
cheap yamaha acoustic

boss ge-6
boss rv-3
boss sd-1
ibanez tubescreamer

shaowebb

Technically, I don't play guitar but what I do play is close enough.

I play dulcimer, which is a three stringed diatonic instrument in small string sized tuned DAD or to generally any chord. I roll with some fat strings on my acoustic to give it a nicer tone more similar to a guitar, and I dont play folk with it as most do.

I tuned it GDG so that I can use any G major scale sheet music to play any song I find that I like, and I generally try to come up with indo persian tunes on my own (though I need more practice than I get.)

Why am I posting this.

Because I had an electric one made with a Dimebucker in the bridge and the low end invader Neck model pickup in the neck for my clean lead tones. The entire thing is made out of mahogany, and since it had a LOT more tonewood than a guitar due to it's shape it has some amazing sustain, and tone.

I use a line 6 pod 2.0 and occasionally a KORG deathmetal pedal for screwing around. I'm thinking of adding a midi pickup as well.

It was made by Tom Yocky for about $800 and was named The Flying Phoenix Dulcimer

Picture2.jpg

flyingphoenixdulcimer.jpg

This instrument generally makes everyone smile at the sheer ludicrous nature of it, and at the sheer beauty of it's tone. Pure guitarists don't understand why I bothered to do it, and pure dulcimer players are offended at the idea of a dulcimer playing metal. The thing is both sides can't help, but smile when I let them play around on it so maybe I don't so much offend anyone as I literally just confuse them hilariously when I whip this out.

It just sounds that clean and it's damned easy to play since it's a diatonic instrument tuned to a chord that you cant help but have fun around it.

I just wanted to prove you could use dulcimer playing skills just as much as guitar if you have the right gear to back it up and it's always a cool conversation piece in a set when you play it. I play overhand while standing, but the scooped out back allows for some nice upright play positioned on the knee, the flush bottom of the neck allows for a dulcimer to (finally) be played underhanded, and of course you can still play it traditionally in an overhand lap style.

Just thought this would be fun to post. Feel free to say whatever you want about it.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
monchi-kun said:
j Masciss Jazzmaster

I own this right now as well. Swapped out the anodized pick guard for a tortoise shell. Play through a 1966 Fender Pro Reverb with overdrive, delay, reverb, and tremolo/rotovibe. All hell breaks loose, etc. Pics later.

dvolovets

I'm starting to use my Epiphone ES-175 again... stock humbuckers, didn't change anything and the tone is right up my alley. Here's a totally improvised version of Bill Evans' "Waltz for Debby"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjteKXsYiE

Dunno if posting vids is considered OK. If not, I can edit out the link. Just thought I'd show you guys what I mean by "right up my alley", considering that most Epiphone ES-175s sound exactly like what they are -- cheap knock-offs of the Gibson ES-175.

Bliany

Anyone have any experience with Gretsch guitars? The Projet with Bigsby in particular. I'm thinking about getting this as my first electric post Starcaster...

Gretsch-Pro-Jet-mit-Bigsby-BLK.jpg

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Bliany said:
Anyone have any experience with Gretsch guitars? The Projet with Bigsby in particular. I'm thinking about getting this as my first electric post Starcaster...

My last guitar was a Pro Jet gold top. Wonderful sound, like a singing voice, but I was not a fan of the bigsby or the feel of the neck. Thus my switch back to a fender.

2010-12-15_13-14-48_663.jpg

Here's my little set-up.

Fender Telecaster '52ri
Yamaha LL6

Fender Tremolux 1965

and a couple pedals (not pictured is my DAM Meathead and '86 Pro co Rat)

I'm looking to get a Les Paul R0 or R8 with my tax return in a couple months, and I'm coming due on a couple lists (Toneczar echoczar, Solasound MK1.5, Foxrox Aquavibe) early next year, so I'll be expanding in the near future. I hope to also pick up a Hiren Roy and Sons concert sitar sometime in 2011.

Damaged

shaowebb said:
Technically, I don't play guitar but what I do play is close enough.

I play dulcimer, which is a three stringed diatonic instrument in small string sized tuned DAD or to generally any chord. I roll with some fat strings on my acoustic to give it a nicer tone more similar to a guitar, and I dont play folk with it as most do.

I tuned it GDG so that I can use any G major scale sheet music to play any song I find that I like, and I generally try to come up with indo persian tunes on my own (though I need more practice than I get.)

Why am I posting this.

Because I had an electric one made with a Dimebucker in the bridge and the low end invader Neck model pickup in the neck for my clean lead tones. The entire thing is made out of mahogany, and since it had a LOT more tonewood than a guitar due to it's shape it has some amazing sustain, and tone.

I use a line 6 pod 2.0 and occasionally a KORG deathmetal pedal for screwing around. I'm thinking of adding a midi pickup as well.

It was made by Tom Yocky for about $800 and was named The Flying Phoenix Dulcimer

This instrument generally makes everyone smile at the sheer ludicrous nature of it, and at the sheer beauty of it's tone. Pure guitarists don't understand why I bothered to do it, and pure dulcimer players are offended at the idea of a dulcimer playing metal. The thing is both sides can't help, but smile when I let them play around on it so maybe I don't so much offend anyone as I literally just confuse them hilariously when I whip this out.

It just sounds that clean and it's damned easy to play since it's a diatonic instrument tuned to a chord that you cant help but have fun around it.

I just wanted to prove you could use dulcimer playing skills just as much as guitar if you have the right gear to back it up and it's always a cool conversation piece in a set when you play it. I play overhand while standing, but the scooped out back allows for some nice upright play positioned on the knee, the flush bottom of the neck allows for a dulcimer to (finally) be played underhanded, and of course you can still play it traditionally in an overhand lap style.

Just thought this would be fun to post. Feel free to say whatever you want about it.

Thats really cool, i love seeing instruments being used in different ways for music that the wouldnt normally be used. Eg: NIN using the Banjo/Guitar hybrid thing on the last tour

Darias

I have a red squire strat, but I barely consider myself a 'guitar player' as I've had a lot of trouble learning anything. :-/

BobDylan

I posted this a while back but never got any feed back.
my brother brought me home this Charvel but I really dont know much about them. a friend left it sitting at his house about 7 years ago or so. I have really began to like it after playing it for a while but I am considering selling it. I think the model is a 275 or 375 so it has to be from 89'. I have looked online but not much luck on how to tell for sure. also any clue on how much it would go for?
DSCN0481.jpg

BobDylan said:
I posted this a while back but never got any feed back.
my brother brought me home this Charvel but I really dont know much about them. a friend left it sitting at his house about 7 years ago or so. I have really began to like it after playing it for a while but I am considering selling it. I think the model is a 275 or 375 so it has to be from 89'. I have looked online but not much luck on how to tell for sure. also any clue on how much it would go for?
DSCN0481.jpg

I love Charvels!! I don't know how much that goes for though, but that looks like a really sweet guitar.

Xun

monchi-kun said:
anyone got some nice holiday gear? got a nice fender acoustic/electric...will post in a bit
I got myself a Fender Mustang 2 amp to coincide with my Blacktop Telecaster (was my 21st birthday present).

I'll post pictures of both on here soon.

Damaged

monchi-kun said:
anyone got some nice holiday gear? got a nice fender acoustic/electric...will post in a bit

Picked myself up a little Fender Champ 600 vintage reisue, lovely little valve practice amp :D

0ded248c4ee43262b4046935a32d37b9.jpg

And decided to treat myself with something totally pointless,

EH_MicroQTron.jpg

So much fun on the bass guitar, been playing parliment funkadelic bass lines all night :lol

Simon Belmont said:
Hey Guitar Gaf, can someone recommend me a good boost pedal? I need to get just a little kick for doing solos.
Okay, a little late I know, but if you haven't picked one up yet and you're not sold on the value of paying boutique prices for a simple boost pedal, I've been using this for the last while into my Mesa Mark V and Fender SFDR with great results... Dirt cheap and sounds fantastic:

lpb-1.jpg

monchi-kun said:
I've got a Mesa TransAtlantic TA-15 head on order for Xmas, though it probably won't be here before Jan. 14th... It makes for a nice contrast to the Mark V my wife gave me for Xmas last year... Also have a couple pickups incoming for my ESP Eclipse II, which is currently sporting a paire of P-Rails, of which I am no longer enamoured...

Fixed1979

Total 6-string beginner here. Play sax and messed around with bass, decided it was time to take the plunge. Bought this for myself for Christmas, so far I'm having a blast! I am having a little bit of trouble dealing with the floating bridge, I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

The amp is a stock pic...
guitar004-1.jpg

guitar005-1.jpg

gretsch-g5222.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Simon Belmont said:
Hey Guitar Gaf, can someone recommend me a good boost pedal? I need to get just a little kick for doing solos.

I'm using the Crowther Hot Cake but there wouldn't be much difference between it and the other boosts already mentioned. Does very transparent boost through to a warm dirty crunch.

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
I've got a Mesa TransAtlantic TA-15 head on order for Xmas..

Why hello there. My name is EXTREME JEALOUSY.

Been GAS-ing for a Les Paul for ages, I have mega OCD and don't like buying common guitars, I really like to have rare stuff. I finally pulled the trigger on this today:

Epiphone Les Paul Twisted Sister LTD Edition:
aa67adc0.gif

I fucking love pink, I swear it's my favourite colour. I'm gonna swap the knobs for silver Telecaster knobs though.

rObit

Banned
Ordered this beauty, should arrive within the next couple of weeks. If I can get some pics with lighting that does justice, I'll show it off and my others as well

newibanez.jpg

rObit

Banned
teruterubozu said:
Is that an FGM (Frank Gambale Model) Ibanez? Nice.

No it's not. I had to look up the signature model as I hadn't heard of it. This is an S5EX1, not as nice as one of those. From what I read those FGM's are somewhat rare.

Fusebox

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
Epiphone Les Paul Twisted Sister LTD Edition:

Lol that axe is raucous, I dig it.

Delightful Oonsk said:
Ibanez S5EX1

Niiiice, love S series! That zebrawood top looks hot.

teruterubozu said:
Is that an FGM (Frank Gambale Model) Ibanez? Nice.

You must be old school, I don't think they've made Gambale's for years. This has the same body, but the Gambale had the Wizard 1 neck, a Floyd Rose instead of the ZR trem and some distinctive looking vol/tone knobs.

Fusebox

Banned
Rock Guitar GAF, are there any famous/legendary guitar stores in either San Fran, NYC, Florida or Vegas? I'm keen to pick up a guitar or two when I'm visiting the US next month.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Fusebox said:
Rock Guitar GAF, are there any famous/legendary guitar stores in either San Fran, NYC, Florida or Vegas? I'm keen to pick up a guitar or two when I'm visiting the US next month.

NYC

Rudy's music

http://www.mannysmusic.com/

Manny's has been SamAsh for a while a now and my brother tells my they recently changed the sign to say SamAsh to make it official I guess.

Tashi0106 said:
NYC

Rudy's music

http://www.mannysmusic.com/

Manny's has been SamAsh for a while a now and my brother tells my they recently changed the sign to say SamAsh to make it official I guess.

Yeah, it's Sam Ash now :-( But it seems that the guitars they carry didn't change much thank god....they still carry some nice Suhrs, Tom Andersons, Gibsons and PRS, etc.

Also check out Rudy's across the street....they have a really nice store/showroom nearby.

dustin

Neo Member
LTD%202010%20Viper%20300FM%20See%20Thru%20Black%20Cherry%206-String%20Electric%20Guitar.jpg

LTD Viper, I've had it for about 4 years I think, great guitar, excellent tone. My other is an old Ibanez that I've spray painted quite a few times. It was my first guitar when I started playing like 7 years ago. It's a got a really messy tone that's really great for heavier stuff.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap fuzz pedal?

Fusebox

Banned
Thanks man, it just arrived today:

5361278147_811d28908f_z.jpg

5361891236_cbe3db0446.jpg

Custom Made!*

5361893030_26f66cc696.jpg

*Not Custom Made.

And a groovy 90's style original Prestige case to top it off...

5361282805_a02142cbf8.jpg

Can't wait to get it home so I can start stripping it and cleaning it.

rObit

Banned
Fusebox said:

Nice dude, good to see it looks as advertised. What style of music do you play, out of curiosity?

Mine came in over the weekend as well. Unfortunately I don't have a great camera but you get the idea.

Photoon2011-01-18at1121.jpg

Photoon2011-01-18at1123.jpg

With some of the collection - the red one is a Jackson DKMG and the transparent black is an Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Photoon2011-01-18at1124.jpg

*edit* btw webcam flipped. I'm not a lefty.

Top Bottom