• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

etta

my hard graphic balls
You can always count on 343 to release something broken in Halo. I will save my other grievances for later.
Well, they had the aiming working right in the beta, soooo....
I am guessing they modified it a bit more to suit the pros who helped them test it, thinking those new settings would be liked by everyone as well.

Right, until someone told you something may be off you never experienced it. Come on. Halo always had different aiming than COD they both feel incredibly different.

When i went from Titanfall momentarily to Destiny (for about a month) back to Titanfall it all felt so so different.

Same with Halo. When I played MCC that shit felt really different than i remembered it. I feel like people are expecting COD type aiming in Halo, that's not going to happen. It's two different games. And now you get casuals coming in talking about "wow that's why i'm bad" or players that thought they were good at former Halos but haven't played in a while sucking hard and thinking "something has to be off" when they just lack enough playing time in the new game. It takes time to adjust. Again, this isn't a yearly installment of your COD series that never changes any of it's core components.

Uh no did you even read what I posted I said I felt it was off immediately when playing day 1.

Azriell

Well, they had the aiming working right in the beta, soooo....
I am guessing they modified it a bit more to suit the pros who helped them test it, thinking those new settings would be liked by everyone as well.

I've always hated Halo because of the way the look stick feels. The Halo 5 beta sold me on the game, and I quickly preordered it. I was pretty disappointed to find the aiming was fucked up again. I don't see why they don't include beta look settings. In fact, when you are accommodating CoD players to the point of including a button config just for them, you should probably also include stick options for them as well. It is one of the biggest selling games, and has conditioned a lot of players. It just makes sense.

But imagine how hard it would be to perfectly counteract the acceleration that's hard-coded into the game. You'd have to shape the curve just right or you'd be creating even more huge acceleration jumps.

Which is exactly why there shouldn't be acceleration in general. It would be so much better if we didn't have to counter a botched look mechanic to get where we want to go. For this particular game though, good look finding a curve that will counter it without making your turn speed obnoxiously slow.

COD and BF are easy to pick up because their look mechanics are superior to Halo's in every way. It's smooth, and can be adjusted to your speed preference without any added acceleration. The more a game's look mechanic matches what your thumb is doing on the thumbstick to a 1:1 ratio, the better it is.

Halo has always had sluggish turnspeed/look mechanics and always had added acceleration. Whatever they did here though is worse and doesn't make sense to me after the beta's look mechanic was much more consistent and IMO, FAR superior to the current one. I wish they would've listened to more opinions, you know like the general crowd, or included surveys regarding changing the aim from the beta. I don't know how anyone who played the beta could think it was worse than the current look mechanic.

So this game might turn away players. more players will find COD and BF much easier to pick up because of their superior look mechanics alone. Halo, can still be a more skilled shooter by having less aim-assist than other FPS' on console, but it doesn't have to have wonky aim mechanics that will turn people off that weren't present in the beta.

But imagine how hard it would be to perfectly counteract the acceleration that's hard-coded into the game. You'd have to shape the curve just right or you'd be creating even more huge acceleration jumps.

I didn't mean specifically to counter this issue, though I have heard at least one person say they thought Halo 5 felt fine with the aggressive setting.

E92 M3

Please let us know when you know more about it, Stinkles.
At the risk of sounding dramatic, I can't play the MP due to the dynamic diagonal sensitivity scaling and the acceleration applied.
The aiming in the beta was very comfortable, this isn't.

That's how I feel. Halo 5 is fun as fuck to watch, but the controls are just too much of a burden - I constantly have to be conscious of how I am moving the stick.

I'm all for a fix, getting used to the awkward aiming curve in this game is going to effectively screw me in every other game since it's so wonky. Coming from Destiny the aim felt like dogshit to put it politely.

GavinGT

Banned
I didn't mean specifically to counter this issue, though I have heard at least one person say they thought Halo 5 felt fine with the aggressive setting.

Yep, it should just be intuitive. I don't want to constantly think about how I need to push the stick hard but not too hard. I basically have to stay in the middle of the stick's range when I'm aiming or I can't hit anything.

BokehKing

Banned
That's a bit dramatic.

Is everyone noticing this issue? I have noticed a thing and it fees quite good but maybe it could just be me.
It's not dramatic, I paid $600 for a system and headset for a game that doesn't play like any other FPS, I knew this because I was playing MCC up until the halo 5 launch
I played through 4 before 5 launched
And even though halo will be halo and it's difficult and different gun play from every other FPS out there
It still managed to feel different from all the previous halo games
My strafing in halo 4 was fine...but in 5? Its screwed, and frankly I don't want to retrain my hands and brain for just one game when every other game I'm buying this holiday season as similar 1:1 controls

PnCIa

Something that i would love to see is an advanced options menu that lets you tinker around with acceleration etc. The average user would not care and those who are interested in having more control would have more options for customization. See the steam controller as an example.

BokehKing

Banned
TBF, Destiny practically aims for you.
No it doesn't , come on man, you can stil wildly over shoot and miss your mark in Destiny, just like you can still over miss your mark in COD (which I play with aim assist off because it pulls the camera too much when ADS) you still have to know how to aim

This game is demanding you to learn to aim a totally different way and I feel like it's turning more people away than bringing them in

No it doesn't , come on man, you can stil wildly over shoot and miss your mark in Destiny, just like you can still over miss your mark in COD (which I play with aim assist off because it pulls the camera too much when ADS) you still have to know how to aim

This game is demanding you to learn to aim a totally different way and I feel like it's turning more people away than bringing them in

Yes, you still have to point, but the game has a generous aim assist.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Destiny's aim assist is high as fuck. Yeah, you can miss,duh, but I struggle to think of another FPS that isn't a twitch shooter with higher aim assist.

Trup1aya

Same here. It was a little bit difficult at first.
But now am doing alright. Close quarter seems a little to fast. But it's actually amazing.

There is definately a learning curve, but I feel like I have more fine control over the reticule than ever in the history of console FPS...

Don't get the diagonal complaints either. I just can't replicate the issue

16BitNova

I played a lot more the past couple of days. And I cant say I see it. It was harder at first. But, practiced and I really like it actually. I consistently get headshots. It's no problem. I really hope they DON'T change it just because some people refuse to practice or get use to it. Not every game is going to handle the same guys. IMO this is an improvement. I'm tired of shooters holding the player's hand the whole time. I prefer when it takes skill.

GavinGT

Banned
I played a lot more the past couple of days. And I cant say I see it. It was harder at first. But, practiced and I really like it actually. I consistently get headshots. It's no problem. I really hope they DON'T change it just because some people refuse to practice or get use to it. Not every game is going to handle the same guys. IMO this is an improvement. I'm tired of shooters holding the player's hand the whole time. I prefer when it takes skill.

I've played 15 hours of the multiplayer and it still feels wrong. I'll stick it out because I love Halo, but casual players aren't going to put up with that.

Grazzt

I'm getting used to this new aiming system, and my K/D is improving. Now I hope they DON'T change it.

Edit: Looks like I'm not alone.

16BitNova

I've played 15 hours of the multiplayer and it still feels wrong. I'll stick it out because I love Halo, but casual players aren't going to put up with that.

I really hope others stick with it too. It's way more free feeling than than other shooters (not holding your hand). And I don't want others and myself who have it down to just have learned it only for it to change and have us learn a whole new feel over again.

The aiming was much better in Halo 4. I'd like to see them return to that.

It was okay to me. But, I feel there was way to much aim assist in it. I still remember having issues when there would be 2 enemies near each other and I would be 1 shot away from one of them only to have his partner walk by or in front and my crosshairs floating to them instead, causing me the kill. Same happened while sniping. Someone else would run across my crosshair and mess up my aim for my original target.

Ont

I like the aiming as it is now.

Also changing things now would be a knee jerk reaction which is not good. I trust the developers on this because they have simply played the game longer.

SwolBro

Banned
Good, that's smooth, this is not ...and has me contemplating returning my Xbox one this morning ifBest Buy will take it

I'd pay big money to run you through an experiment with various aiming curves to see if you'd know which was which during a match. Big money.

Aim acceleration is probably my biggest aim killer in halo, destiny felt a lot better for that.

scoped pistol in halo 5 feels like you suddenly changed all aiming vairables to make it more slippery, instead it should be slower.

sonto340

Aim acceleration is probably my biggest aim killer in halo, destiny felt a lot better for that.

scoped pistol in halo 5 feels like you suddenly changed all aiming vairables to make it more slippery, instead it should be slower.
This is my exact complaint as well. When I am with the BR I suddenly start darting all over the screen.

Bread

Banned
I have no idea what you guys are on about, this game feels so smooth and easy to control. Only issue I had was with the sniper, that felt like it was a bit too sensitive when scoped in.

Isurus

It's taking me quite a bit of time to adjust to the new aiming system (I'm getting old). Overall, I'm not going to say it is bad, just very different. Regardless, I'm surprised they are managing this "out in the tails" as I like to refer to this sort of thing (i.e., catoring to the 0.05% of the population). In a mass market game designed to appeal to a broad spectrum, it's confusing to cator something so fundamental as aiming mechanics to "pros". If the rest of the population doesn't catch on, the overall online user base is going to shrink drastically out of frustration. Seems like a poor design choice to me. If you want to cator to the pro segment, do so with specific playlists as opposed to the entire game.

I love halo and, as such, I'm working on this and giving it a chance. However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it was a poor design choice.

I don't know the exact details but from memory the aim acceleration is like this:

bhqzzTj.png

Head.spawn

I keep seeing people refer to how the aiming in previous Halo games, in comparison to Halo 5.. but where is the asterisk about how that game had the heavy handed auto-aim? Even more than that it had the most ridiculous reticle magnetism in any game any time your reticle got near any enemy. The GAME would literally move the cursor on it's own... do you guys not remember this shit? Not only that but it actively slow down your cursor movement heavily, way more than the stuff you guys are complaining about here.

Shouldn't that be apart of the discussion when you mention that particular comparison? No other series has magnetism like that and it changes the way you AIM in an insane way that doesn't translate to any other FPS game.

It seems to me that this is 343s solution/alternative to that and maybe they should make this optional, but I sure as hell don't prefer it to the old system where you would literally be fighting against the other team AND against the games three part aim assist system thinking it knows what you are trying to do better than you. At least this situation is under player control.

You guys preferred that? The games you are comparing this game to effectively had training wheels on and I think that is probably what you want back; that's what made the aiming easier back then.

Victrix

*beard*
I keep seeing people refer to how the aiming in previous Halo games, in comparison to Halo 5.. but where is the asterisk about how that game had the heavy handed auto-aim? Even more than that it had the most ridiculous reticle magnetism in any game any time your reticle got near any enemy. The GAME would literally move the cursor on it's own... do you guys not remember this shit? Not only that but it actively slow down your cursor movement heavily, way more than the stuff you guys are complaining about here.

Shouldn't that be apart of the discussion when you mention that particular comparison? No other series has magnetism like that and it changes the way you AIM in an insane way that doesn't translate to any other FPS game.

It seems to me that this is 343s solution/alternative to that. Maybe they should make it optional, but I sure as hell prefer it to the old system where you would literally be fighting against the other team AND against the games assist system thinking it knows what you are trying to do better than you. At least this situation is under player control.

You guys preferred that? The games you are comparing this game to effectively had training wheels on and I think that is probably what you want back; that's what made the aiming easier back then.

You can think whatever you want, I want an option to disable acceleration

GavinGT

Banned
I don't know the exact details but from memory the aim acceleration is like this:

bhqzzTj.png

Are you talking about speed vs time at max stick deflection? What we're upset about is speed vs stick deflection. It starts out super slow, then there are major jumps at certain points and after the jumps it plateaus.

He is wrong for sure, I test it away from aiming at people, it's quite different and hard.

I can't make small movements easily and smoothly like I can on H3 which is a big deal when your moving and umping in battles.

There is an issue, rather it's intended or not. it's bad. Just give me the Halo 3 option and I'll be just fine (its better)

I noticed on my own day one that is was hard to aim

Are you talking about speed vs time at max stick deflection? What we're upset about is speed vs stick deflection. It starts out super slow, then there are major jumps at certain points and after the jumps it plateaus.

I find that the acceleration in aiming so from a still crosshair to a fast moving one impacts my aiming completely, because of the slower accel it makes it harder to stick to aiming at a target moving around compared to when it's faster to accel but at a lower top speed, and I prefer the feeling of that in destiny over halo's acceleration. In halo 5 I feel that you have to have super high aim speed in the options and tap your joystick or put up with over aiming due to acceleration.

This thread is full of a lot of stuff people like and dislike, what these games really need are a few more options for aiming other then one single aim speed value.

Head.spawn

I said that should be an option in the post you are quoting.

I edited it to make that part clearer.
He is wrong for sure, I test it away from aiming at people, it's quite different and hard.

I can't make small movements easily and smoothly like I can on H3 which is a big deal when your moving and umping in battles.

There is an issue, rather it's intended or not. it's bad. Just give me the Halo 3 option and I'll be just fine (its better)

I noticed on my own day one that is was hard to aim

What am i wrong about? I didn't say it wasn't different or harder, but I did go into detail about how/why it was easier in the previous games by design.

cameltoe

Why would anyone want ANY acceleration? And whats at play here is just, wrong. Never felt anything like this in any other FPS. Nope, don't like it.

E92 M3

All I know that if 343 cares about Halo, they will change the aiming system to be inline with other shooters on the consoles. We need the casual population to stay, not flock to Black Ops 3 in 2 weeks. Bungie managed to retain the hardcore and the casuals, 343 should focus on the same.

And I am not talking about the aim assist.

I said that should be an option in the post you are quoting.

I edited it to make that part clearer.

What am i wrong about? I didn't say it wasn't different or harder, but I did go into detail about how/why it was easier in the previous games by design.

anything with auto aim has nothing to do with the main issue. Just feel it's wrong to bring that point up by saying people are judging it with that in mind.

Why would anyone want ANY acceleration? And whats at play here is just, wrong. Never felt anything like this in any other FPS. Nope, don't like it.

I'm guessing because the pros all use keyboard and mouse connections to their xbox ones, so mouse acceleration is great for them lol!

Top Bottom