• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

Actually the keyboard/mouse users are as pissed as we are:

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=42414.0

Good maybe something will get done about it, it's mental how fast it jumps and it's extremely bad when you are aiming down the sights (a mode you typically use to aim better not worse)

I've been complaining about it feeling off right off the bat here lol, so I am glad more are noticing it.

Edit: Thanks for the link, yeah those guys pretty much nailed it the acceleration is a mess.

Your video is a good example too how it just all of a sudden goes into spin mode. In the heat of battle it makes the cursor hop all over the place when you are adjusting to get headshots when the other player is in the zone where the stick would trigger the speed boosts.

SwolBro

Banned
I'm guessing because the pros all use keyboard and mouse connections to their xbox ones, so mouse acceleration is great for them lol!
I hope you were joking because really...KB/M players usually never want any type of acceleration. Some shooters offer mouse accel and a lot of people hate it. Stop blaming things you don't understand for you not being all that great at the game while others completely master it.

Why would anyone want ANY acceleration? And whats at play here is just, wrong. Never felt anything like this in any other FPS. Nope, don't like it.

Halo has always had aim acceleration, actually i'm pretty sure all the shooters on consoles have this. As i understand it for a lot of shooters the higher the sensitivity setting the less aim acceleration but also the less aim-assist.

These posts are getting downright ridiculous at this point.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I really don't get this at all. It's so weird to see people saying it feels off.

This is the boat I'm in. Feels fantastic...

Same here. It was a little bit difficult at first.
But now am doing alright. Close quarter seems a little to fast. But it's actually amazing.

I have no idea what you guys are on about, this game feels so smooth and easy to control. Only issue I had was with the sniper, that felt like it was a bit too sensitive when scoped in.
Maybe there's issues with the other variables, such as the new controllers, NXOE OS, or new controller updates, which there have been 3 on NXOE alone. I'm on the 3.5mm/latest fw/latest NXOE.
343i needs to look into this.

I hope you were joking because really...KB/M players usually never want any type of acceleration. Some shooters offer mouse accel and a lot of people hate it. Stop blaming things you don't understand for you not being all that great at the game while others completely master it.

I was kidding with my post about they kb/m obviously.

Also the bolded is really uncalled for since most of us are "getting used to it" but they fucked up the curve and we can't fix that or disable it on our end like we could if it was a pc game for example.

It's also nice to see the problem getting attention since everyone that noticed it didn't just notice it because we needed to "l2p" many if not all of us are not new to shooters on many platforms for decades now.

I made a video to illustrate the acceleration problem as I understand it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmGc_rpjGzo

(I'm on 5 sensitivity)

I wonder if this is what i'm feling when I say the acceleration is off, it's really just the top end jumping up in speed as I try to aim my BR at people and over aiming all the time.

Setting 2 has a nice top speed limit but it makes the lower end of aiming way too slow, I use the default (3) and the only issue is that top speed which is made worse when you hard aim.

another paint graph, you know you love em.

0jFCAiv.png

SpokkX

I also felt this, couldnt put my finger what it exactly was

The acceleration feels off compared to for example Destiny (which at least nailed the controls)

I wonder if this is what i'm feling when I say the acceleration is off, it's really just the top end jumping up in speed as I try to aim my BR at people and over aiming all the time.

Setting 2 has a nice top speed limit but it makes the lower end of aiming way too slow, I use the default (3) and the only issue is that top speed which is made worse when you hard aim.

Ya this causes the weird jump where the cursor goes like an inch beyond where you anticipate when aiming, it's more pronounced aiming down sights, and auto-aim doesn't cover it up as much as hip firing.

Halo has always had aim acceleration, actually i'm pretty sure all the shooters on consoles have this. As i understand it for a lot of shooters the higher the sensitivity setting the less aim acceleration but also the less aim-assist.

These posts are getting downright ridiculous at this point.

I don't think Halo CE and Halo 2 had acceleration, or at least not as much as 3, which had a vocal minority talking about acceleration issues, rightfully so IMO.

Manus

All I know that if 343 cares about Halo, they will change the aiming system to be inline with other shooters on the consoles. We need the casual population to stay, not flock to Black Ops 3 in 2 weeks. Bungie managed to retain the hardcore and the casuals, 343 should focus on the same.

And I am not talking about the aim assist.

Huh? I think the exact opposite. Halo is finally fun to play again and you want them to change to appeal to casuals? Let them go play that awful COD and leave Halo to the real fans.

I haven't had one problem with the aiming, but I haven't played a Halo since 3. I'm loving this game. Great job 343.

GavinGT

Banned
Huh? I think the exact opposite. Halo is finally fun to play again and you want them to change to appeal to casuals? Let them go play that awful COD and leave Halo to the real fans.

I haven't had one problem with the aiming, but I haven't played a Halo since 3. I'm loving this game. Great job 343.

How many of these "real" fans do you think there are? Enough to support 400 employees spending 3 years to make a game? Besides, bringing the aiming more in line with past Halo games isn't going to alienate anyone, but it will make it so that I can actually recommend this game to other people. I'm not talking about auto-aim, either.

etta

my hard graphic balls

What he's saying is we want the aiming like it was done in the beta. It was still Halo-ish, but there was little or no acceleration, and there certainly wasn't any diagonal sensitivity scaling.

E92 M3

Completely misunderstood what I said. No one said about appealing to casuals, but at least making the aiming system similar to other shooters (including past Halos).

I've been a massive Halo fan and have every single game released and don't want to see this game lose the population. Secondly, most will not be relearning how they control their shooters just for Halo 5.

AGAIN, I am not talking about aim assist or bullet magnetism.

Seems, like I've been beaten to the point lol.

Head.spawn

anything with auto aim has nothing to do with the main issue. Just feel it's wrong to bring that point up by saying people are judging it with that in mind.

It's absolutely part of the discussion. The previous games had automatic deceleration as part of of the auto-aim system.

SwolBro

Banned
Also the bolded is really uncalled for since most of us are "getting used to it" but they fucked up the curve and we can't fix that or disable it on our end like we could if it was a pc game for example.

It's also nice to see the problem getting attention since everyone that noticed it didn't just notice it because we needed to "l2p" many if not all of us are not new to shooters on many platforms for decades now.

Ok, maybe uncalled for in regards to you but there's been tons of posts here with people claiming it's the aim curve that must be screwing their greatness up. That's the problem i've had with this thread, it hasn't really been about how these various components of aiming mechanics work. It's just been an onslaught of "it's broken" "it's bugged" "343i are hacks" "i'm losing because of this"

I'm all for an informed discussion on how these decisions effect gameplay and why they may have been made. I'd like to be educated on this stuff, we all should be, in order to give constructive feedback so we can improve not only Halo but all FPS with better aiming.

For instance: in Titanfall i know that as you increase look sensitivity you decrease acceleration and decrease aim-assit. From what i gather it's like this across all shooters. I want to know why that is. Is it because they feel people would be too dominate with increased look speed while having the same aim-asist as lower speeds? Or is it because they don't play nice together? As one increases the other must decrease in order to function properly.

These are questions we should be asking, not "wow they fucked me on this, i suck and they have to change it"

I don't think Halo CE and Halo 2 had acceleration, or at least not as much as 3, which had a vocal minority talking about acceleration issues, rightfully so IMO.

They had pretty high levels of aim-asist and magnitism, really high levels. There's a lot of newer FPS players that come in crying about aim-assist and not realizing with less aim-assist you're going to have to DECREASE look sensitivity or else your reticule is going to be flying all over the place unless you have the calm hands of a brain surgeon. For majority of console gamers they wouldn't hit shit with a decrease in aim-assist. Maybe this is what is going on here and this curve is a way to compensate for it? i'm not sure.

Reverting the aiming to beta wouldn't make the game less fun. The nonsense regarding casuals and real fans is just silly.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm sure he's reading all this. It's probably a complicated issue and they're considering if/how to address it.

I really hope it's "how to fix it" and not "if to fix it".
This was supposed to be my competitive shooter. I uninstalled CS GO as Halo 5 was installing. Then I was bummed out significantly because the game does everything else right. Beta played so comfortably, and I hope they can fix this otherwise I will be incredibly sad about it.

Reverting the aiming to beta wouldn't make the game less fun. The nonsense regarding casuals and real fans is just silly.

They should consider doing a survey to all those who played the beta and ask which look mechanic they preferred. I imagine it would be overwhelmingly in favor of the betas.

shpankey

not an idiot
First. THIS is the ONE thing Halo always had going for it. It's what MAKES Halo... it's what made it. Back in the day, FPS sucked on consoles up until Halo paved the way. Why would they even dare mess with it? Jason Jones had it perfect. This is why I don't like games changing developers... they ruin things. Ugh.

Second, how in the hell does this get past the testers?

Third, how in the hell does this get past the pro player testers? [edit: nevermind, i see they are the reason]

Anyhow, just took off the Xbox Elite / Halo 5 from my Christmas list. Thanks for the heads up.

This was supposed to be my competitive shooter. I uninstalled CS GO as Halo 5 was installing. Then I was bummed out significantly because the game does everything else right. Beta played so comfortably, and I hope they can fix this otherwise I will be incredibly sad about it.

Much agreed, I can't go back to destiny with my tail between my legs. I enjoy the multiplayer, but would love to see this change.

They should consider doing a survey to all those who played the beta and ask which look mechanic they preferred. I imagine it would be overwhelmingly in favor of the betas.

I think so as well.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Maybe they can do another beta test via the Xbox Preview Program like how BF4 does its own.
Then they can get live feedback while making changes.

GavinGT

Banned
Third, how in the hell does this get past the pro player testers?

I think the change was at the behest of the pro players. It's actually an improvement if you have great stick control, since you can quickly make small/medium/large movements all with the same sensitivity setting. But for the rest of us it's a huge handicap.

I'm personally good at making very small or very large movements, but I'm not so good at working with the stick in the middle of its range. So this setup is a nightmare for me, because that middle range is crucial for 1v1 encounters with the other guy monkey-dancing all over the place.

I have definitely felt the wonkiness of the aiming in H5 which is worse than it was in the beta (beta aiming was perfect). Ive done my best to compensate but a fix would still be appreciated. I love the reduced autoaim in 5 (enjoyed it in the beta, enjoy it now) but they've got to get the aim acceleration working correctly.

Im glad this is finally getting a good amount of attention. Ive been posting about it since I got the final game. Yeah the game is still fun, but if you played the beta, you probably know how much better the aiming felt in that version compared to final.

I made a video to illustrate the acceleration problem as I understand it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmGc_rpjGzo

(I'm on 5 sensitivity)

That's a pretty narrow range, would definitely love it if they made it more gradual and reserved full-speed turning to only the last 10% rather than the last 20%. If I want to full speed turn, I'm going to slam the stick to one side anyway. It doesnt need that much room.

I've always hated Halo because of the way the look stick feels. The Halo 5 beta sold me on the game, and I quickly preordered it. I was pretty disappointed to find the aiming was fucked up again.

Hopefully a fix is easy for them since they've already had the exact settings we like before in the beta. No need to come up with anything new, just move toward what they've already done in the past.

I think the change was at the behest of the pro players. It's actually an improvement if you have great stick control, since you can quickly make small/medium/large movements all with the same sensitivity setting. But for the rest of us it's a huge handicap.

Pro players are a great resource and have CLEARLY influenced the game in great ways, but 343 shouldnt forget that 99.9% of players are not pros. Better to go too far and have to pull back, than not go far enough. So I'm glad 343 has listened to the pros so much, but this is one time where I think they have to pull back a little. Most everything about the gameplay is great, they just need to readjust the acceleration to something more like the beta which made both pros and general audience happy.

VinFTW

First. THIS is the ONE thing Halo always had going for it. It's what MAKES Halo... it's what made it. Back in the day, FPS sucked on consoles up until Halo paved the way. Why would they even dare mess with it? Jason Jones had it perfect. This is why I don't like games changing developers... they ruin things. Ugh.

Third, how in the hell does this get past the pro player testers? [edit: nevermind, i see they are the reason]

Anyhow, just took off the Xbox Elite / Halo 5 from my Christmas list. Thanks for the heads up.

lol, I think you should play the game before you have a knee-jerk reaction like this.

Also, what does Jason Jones have to do with ANY of it?

shpankey
not an idiot

GavinGT

Banned
That's a pretty narrow range, would definitely love it if they made it more gradual and reserved full-speed turning to only the last 10% rather than the last 20%. If I want to full speed turn, I'm going to slam the stick to one side anyway. It doesnt need that much room.

The thing is, if there's going to be an aim mode and a turn mode, the turn mode pretty much has to kick in at 80% or less. This is because of differences in manufacturing tolerances for the potentiometers in the joysticks. Imagine if some controllers didn't have turn mode at all because the potentiometer didn't go that high, or if it went into turn mode when you look left but not when you look right.

Also, what does Jason Jones have to do with ANY of it?

He laboriously spent months tweaking everything about the controls so that they felt just right. He was particularly obsessed with making the grenade arcs feel perfect.

I'm for one glad that Halo barely has any aim-assist. Contrary to popular belief, you do not need aim assist on competitive multiplayer on consoles.

With or without aim assist, everyone is on equal footing. However, having aim assist helps less-skilled players have more fun by getting assistance in getting kills; a handicap.

Basically, get gud -- screw aim assist. Hope they resolve the acceleration/low sensitivity issue though.

The thing is, if there's going to be an aim mode and a turn mode, the turn mode pretty much has to kick in at 80% or less. This is because of differences in manufacturing tolerances for the potentiometers in the joysticks. Imagine if some controllers didn't have turn mode at all because the potentiometer didn't go that high, or if it went into turn mode when you look left but not when you look right.

Can we compromise at 15% then? If a controller seriously lacked the entire last 15% of the turn I would blame that on a crappy controller and not on the developer.

That's just a side point anyway, I'm much more concerned with overall aim acceleration. But more room to accomplish a more gradual change would help.

I'm for one glad that Halo barely has any aim-assist. Contrary to popular belief, you do not need aim assist on competitive multiplayer on consoles.

With or without aim assist, everyone is on equal footing. However, having aim assist helps less-skilled players have more fun by getting assistance in getting kills; a handicap.

Basically, get gud -- screw aim assist. Hope they resolve the acceleration/low sensitivity issue though.

Yeah this isnt about aim assist, most people love the lower aim assist of 5. It's just the acceleration stuff thats a problem.

He laboriously spent months tweaking everything about the controls so that they felt just right. He was particularly obsessed with making the grenade arcs feel perfect.

To this day I still love how the aiming feels in Halo 1. It feels less gimmicky than most modern games with all kinds of aim acceleration equations and movement circles and all kinds of shit bogging it down. I just move and it feels smooth and light.

BokehKing

Banned

Do you want the population to drop off a cliff?

E92 M3

Wait, didn't you know that if you hate the aiming system, that makes you a filthy casual?

git gud

I don't think pro players should involved at all in game development except for some weapon balancing and stuff. I know many wouldn't agree with that sentiment.

Pro-tip: every developer wants those people playing their games. It's called sustaining a population, your elitist attitude will do no good for the health of Halo.

I'm so tired of people like you. The stealth changes made to the aiming after the beta benefit no one. I had Halo LAN parties every weekend in fucking Sweden when everyone else was playing the PS2, and you're telling me I'm not a Halo fan? How can you call yourself a Halo fan anyway, when you want everyone to leave the game?

No one was complaining about the aiming in the beta. It wasn't casual, it was good.

No one was complaining about the aiming in the beta. It wasn't casual, it was good.

Exactly. Not casual, just good. Appealing to both groups. What was everyone saying during the beta? They only had good things to say!

'Wow, this takes a lot more skill, but it feels so satisfying.' The pros were praising it! And the thing is, so was the general pop! No one is really asking 343 to return to the casual autoaim of past halos, just to return to the beta aiming that made both crowds happy.

Some people are acting like we're asking for 343 to crank up the autoaim or something. Hell no. H5 has great gameplay, the aiming just needs tweaking.

SwolBro

Banned
This has to be a joke post right?
The game would bog down. People wouldn't be pulling anything off. You couldn't be pulling off snipe headshots while jumping, or strafe battling without having to reload more than once. You have no idea what this would be like, do you?

Hilarious, considering the beta had flinch and couldn't take off vibration. The beta was terrible.

GavinGT

Banned
Hilarious, considering the beta had flinch and couldn't take off vibration. The beta was terrible.

I think you're in a tiny majority to say that the beta was terrible. Would you have been happy with it if they fixed the two issues you mentioned? Because they're totally unrelated to what we're talking about.

BokehKing

Banned
I won't delete it from my hard drive, but I won't be playing it past Friday unless they fix it , I guess I can go back to MCC

Head.spawn

Dont forget diagonals

The vids from these two posts describe everything.
Consistent aiming in all directions along with smoother aim acceleration. That's what people are asking for. It has nothing to do with auto-aim or bullet magnetism which are good as they are.

Except that guy, from that video that is in the OP has already stated that his problem was caused by a messed up setting on his part.

Update So, I feel kinda stupid now. My "bug", at least for me, was caused by me setting my controller's right stick to the "Delay" setting. So that's one problem solved. But there are others saying they have this issue, so maybe they're experiencing something else

You can't be having the same problem as him unless you have that same setting.

Except that guy, from that video that is in the OP has already stated that his problem was caused by a messed up setting on his part.

Oh okay good, so just the aim acceleration then. Thats the issue ive personally had problems with, but I didnt automatically discount OPs post either so I thought it should be included if true. Should update the post to be only about the new vid then, as to not draw 343's attention to the wrong issue.

SwolBro

Banned
I think you're in a tiny majority to say that the beta was terrible. Would you have been happy with it if they fixed the two issues you mentioned? Because they're totally unrelated to what we're talking about.

I just doubt anyone knows what their talking about. One poster here has been going on a fucking tirade... i checked his gamertag, H5 playtime at around 5 hours. 5 hours! how can you make any type of concrete decision on anything in a game in 5 hours?!!?

Detective

Maybe there's issues with the other variables, such as the new controllers, NXOE OS, or new controller updates, which there have been 3 on NXOE alone. I'm on the 3.5mm/latest fw/latest NXOE.
343i needs to look into this.

Maybe it's a learning curve.
I had the sunset bundle with the Preview dashboard. Got used to the aiming, and sometimes it was fast on close quarters. Sometimes it was hard.
Switched to Halo bundle and the new controller( Amazing hardware BTW) . Same feeling. I think it feels amazing. Maybe I got used to it I don't know . The shooting feeling and aiming is just so good. It sure feels fast at some point. But I have no complaints there. If I got owned then I got owned :p
Am using Halo 4 layout :p

etta

my hard graphic balls
Maybe it's a learning curve.
I had the sunset bundle with the Preview dashboard. Got used to the aiming, and sometimes it was fast on close quarters. Sometimes it was hard.
Switched to Halo bundle and the new controller( Amazing hardware BTW) . Same feeling. I think it feels amazing. Maybe I got used to it I don't know . The shooting feeling and aiming is just so good. It sure feels fast at some point. But I have no complaints there. If I got owned then I got owned :p
Am using Halo 4 layout :p

Except it's not.
I always over-aim because of the acceleration, and when I have to aim close-range vertically I can't because diagonal aiming is at a different speed than horizontal/vertical.

I just doubt anyone knows what their talking about. One poster here has been going on a fucking tirade... i checked his gamertag, H5 playtime at around 5 hours. 5 hours! how can you make any type of concrete decision on anything in a game in 5 hours?!!?
It appears you don't know what you are talking about. Aiming is an immediate adjustment thing, you don't need 20 hours of play to "understand" it. You either get used to it right away or don't, and then can't play. Did you think maybe that was the reason they didn't play for longer than 5 hours?
Smh. Trying to play that "but you didn't even play it for a long time" card when talking about aiming. Aiming, not controls that you have to get used to such as melee being on RB. You don't "get used" to acceleration. It either works for you or it doesn't.
Not to mention that these types of acceleration curves or differing sensitivities based on each axis don't have much of a place in a game with CQC and low FOV. Low FOV which means you have to turn for longer distances at which point the extreme acceleration kicks in.

Top Bottom