• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

I wonder if this all has anything to do with shots being inaccurate when you watch your gameplay in the theater mode.
(Load up one of your previous matches and you'll notice in the recorded gameplay your shots are WAY off from when you were actually playing)

I've been watching hours of Professional players on twitch and a few of them are having a sensitivity crisis as well, not being able to find a "sweet spot" and stick to it.

Naw. nothing to do with theatre mode.

That second part sounds exactly like what people are talking about.

Was it always like that in theater mode?

In the 5 beta this was also true. Less so in previous halos, I think those were more accurate.

link1201

Btw we are looking at this thread and the complaint(s), I'm just not really qualified to comment and it's tricky since there's a mix of "feel" related stuff in here that could be wholly or partially subjective and not everyone is talking about the same issue . However it's at least simple enough to objectively analyze the numbers. More this week.

I am interested to see what they come back with.

Head.spawn

Okay, I made a video about the acceleration and diagonal sensitivity issues and I'll try my best to explain what is happening on screen. The video is 30fps because I used GameDVR, and there's some inconsistencies between the clips because I glued a bunch of them together.

https://youtu.be/K7xH8ZLBCr8

00:20 - Notice how towards the end of the kill I am already moving the stick to the right, but at the end of the kill the acceleration kicks in and my aim snaps to the right.

00:32 - As the enemy falls down, I follow him but can't control the aim due to the changing/inconsistent diagonal sensitivity. Right before I get boosted back up, the aim snaps to the left (when I am right next to the wall) from the acceleration. Once boosted and into the air, now I have to aim downwards but again I don't have tight control over it due to the varying sensitivities.

01:10 - Right after I kill the enemy, the acceleration again is too much and I lose control of the aim. Had that guy not died, I would have over-aimed to the right.

01:28 - This is important. Notice how when I initiate the fight, the guy is closer, and due to the FOV I have to move the stick further when I am aiming. Notice how I miss the shots when he's close, due to the low sensitivity curve (that <30%), but as he moves farther away I can aim at him normally.

02:25 - Very important again. Notice how while I am in mid air and have to aim down, I land the first few bullets. As I get closer to him, I have to aim down and to the right more than when I was higher in the air, but this diagonal sensitivity again makes it hard to control the aim.

Do you have any footage of you playing other Halo games to compare it to?

Okay, I made a video about the acceleration and diagonal sensitivity issues and I'll try my best to explain what is happening on screen. The video is 30fps because I used GameDVR, and there's some inconsistencies between the clips because I glued a bunch of them together.

https://youtu.be/K7xH8ZLBCr8

00:20 - Notice how towards the end of the kill I am already moving the stick to the right, but at the end of the kill the acceleration kicks in and my aim snaps to the right.

00:32 - As the enemy falls down, I follow him but can't control the aim due to the changing/inconsistent diagonal sensitivity. Right before I get boosted back up, the aim snaps to the left (when I am right next to the wall) from the acceleration. Once boosted and into the air, now I have to aim downwards but again I don't have tight control over it due to the varying sensitivities.

01:10 - Right after I kill the enemy, the acceleration again is too much and I lose control of the aim. Had that guy not died, I would have over-aimed to the right.

01:28 - This is important. Notice how when I initiate the fight, the guy is closer, and due to the FOV I have to move the stick further when I am aiming. Notice how I miss the shots when he's close, due to the low sensitivity curve (that <30%), but as he moves farther away I can aim at him normally.

02:25 - Very important again. Notice how while I am in mid air and have to aim down, I land the first few bullets. As I get closer to him, I have to aim down and to the right more than when I was higher in the air, but this diagonal sensitivity again makes it hard to control the aim.

1:28 is pretty much the perfect example of why I find the game frustrating to play right now. It's like you're fighting the game to get the reticle where you want it to go. It shouldn't be like that.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Do you have any footage of you playing other Halo games to compare it to?
No.
These issues that I'm having didn't exist in BO3 and BF betas, nor did they exist in H5 beta. There wasn't any sudden snapping, nor did I have trouble aiming diagonally.

Tawpgun

I will ROFL if the whole thing was a botched NXOE controller update, and that's why we see such divisiveness in this thread.

Come Nov 12 you might see everyone bitching about how the aiming got broken haha

I'm on the old dash and I think the aiming is fine in this game. It's just a lot more difficult compared to how easy it was in Halo 2/H2a/Halo 4

etta

my hard graphic balls
Same experience after controller update.
Could still be NXOE. Hope 343i is testing these variables independently.

I will ROFL if the whole thing was a botched NXOE controller update, and that's why we see such divisiveness in this thread.

I wish. It's not though, it was a conscience change to the look mechanic that wasn't present In the beta. It has nothing to do with aim assist or bullet magnetism, just the look mechanic alone.

The divisiveness comes from those who played the beta and those who haven't. The ones who didn't play the beta don't know any better and the fraction of those who prefer the new look mechanic that did play the beta is very small.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I have tried to re-create the issue with my original X1 controller and it's not doing the slow diagonal movement.
My diagonal movement is exactly the same speed as my horizontal/vertical (tried it every way possible).

I haven't updated to NXOE though consciously, is it an optional new update?

People who think there isnt any aim assist should watch the sprint. The latest one details a little but about aim assisnt in halo 5. And also details the magnetism. Ar has some crazy magnetism.

Season 3 episode 4.

Ive noticed it doesnt bug me much when im engaging about mid range. But when im close or real far away i get squirly because i gotta move all around with close quarters combat with jumping and far away when i zoom.

Yes. There is a lot of misconceptions in this thread, one being that Halo 5 has no or low aim assist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL1_ht1EdAU

Fact is dual analog shooters need aim assist for them to work. People who post that they don't have any because they turned it off in options or whatever are usually unaware that there is always some level of sticky aim regardless of what you do or the game simply would not work for 99% of people.

Another thing I'm seeing is people asking for no aim acceleration. How do you guys think analog sticks work? They work ON acceleration. The issue with the video posted is the acceleration curve. Removing acceleration completely would also make this game non functional on an analog stick, as acceleration is built into how analog sticks work. I know you may have read around on the internet when PC gamers complain that a game has acceleration, but that is because of mouse acceleration which is an absolute positioning device and 1:1 controls are the ideal. An analog stick uses relative positioning and thus acceleration is necessary.

E92 M3

Come Nov 12 you might see everyone bitching about how the aiming got broken haha

I'm on the old dash and I think the aiming is fine in this game. It's just a lot more difficult compared to how easy it was in Halo 2/H2a/Halo 4

When does "difficult" become not fun? Aiming shouldn't be a hassle in a shooter. All of the other Halos had it fine, why change what works?

rakka

It's got nothing to do with aim assist it's just strange and slow to me. I usually play on 7 or 8 in Halos but i find that it makes no difference now so i just play on 5. and when i play on higher sens its just fucking ridiculous when ADS haha. Anyone else notice this? So damn sensitive when ADSing if you're on higher sens. So yeah. 5 for now. Til they fix it.

But getting used to it, like you can get used to anything. Very often winning FFA matches.

JaggedSac

I wish. It's not though, it was a conscience change to the look mechanic that wasn't present In the beta. It has nothing to do with aim assist or bullet magnetism, just the look mechanic alone.

The divisiveness comes from those who played the beta and those who haven't. The ones who didn't play the beta don't know any better and the fraction of those who prefer the new look mechanic that did play the beta is very small.

I played the beta and I can't tell shit for a difference.

SpacLock

Holy shit! That explains so much!

I've always been a great Halo player but my aiming felt terrible the first few days. When tracking enemies diagonally I had almost like an uneasy zigzagging motion while shooting all over the place. I knew something was off. Fast forward to today and I'm doing great again. I guess it's something I got used to.

I changed my sensitivity multiple times trying to figure out the problem, but now that I know, I feel a lot better.

Doesn't matter if they change it as far as I'm concerned because I'm used to it now.

Again I have had no issues fighting against the aiming system. I've been doing rather well in this Halo game as I am diamond rank 2 in slayer. Sounds like there is a big learning curve for some.

Has there been any kind of response from 343i regarding the matter? I'm curious to see what happens though i'll be fine if everything stays the same... or if it changes really. I dont think this "aiming issue" will affect my playing H5 too much.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Has there been any kind of response from 343i regarding the matter? I'm curious to see what happens though i'll be fine if everything stays the same... or if it changes really. I dont think this "aiming issue" will affect my playing H5 too much.

More to come this week.

Vitor711

I'm using the old Dash - the deadzone is still huge. Haven't noticed the diagonal stuff as much but doing tiny circles with the right stick will not see your movements accurately reflected on screen.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm using the old Dash - the deadzone is still huge. Haven't noticed the diagonal stuff as much but doing tiny circles with the right stick will not see your movements accurately reflected on screen.

That's due to the inconsistent sensitivities between horizontal, vertical, and diagonal aiming.

BokehKing

Banned
I returned to the old dash, no controller updat s on my 3.5 jack controller, I am still having the issue of the reticle swinging to the right (or left) if I tilt the thumb stick too much

So I don't think operating systems have anything to do with it

GavinGT

Banned
Apparently there really is something going on with diagonal movement for some controllers.

fgHFlR7.png

And an article about it

I really hope they're doing something about the aim acceleration, though. I'm done with this game until they do.

link1201

Hmmm, so a controller issue then? I am getting a new controller this week. It has got to be better than my busted one. I've been trying to play while the left stick is constantly registering up. It has not be a great experience. lol

Hmm, I'm still using my Titanfall controller although I haven't updated in a while, maybe I should try that?

Also have my day one controller lying around, might give that a go too.

Gator86

Halo 5 is the first FPS I can recall where I've had any trouble aiming. Just out of curiosity, I opened MCC to play a round for comparison and wound up playing half a dozen of 4. Aiming feels amazing. I have no clue why they'd change things the way they did.

BokehKing

Banned
I had the controller that came with the legendary edition bundle, had the issue, returned that bundle for the cheaper holiday bundle, had an issue on that controller as well, so hell if I know.

KissVibes

Banned
I have the Lunar Rover controller and I noticed the same issues. I've learned to play with the aiming as it is, but going back to any of the games in the MCC, and I fucking sweep the floor most games.

Warzone is where I do abysmally in H5 with these controls. Too much going on and on top of that, I'm fighting the controls. All the up-close stuff feels like total butt.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm using a normal controller (first batch of X1s on release) and my diagonal speed is the same as horizontal/vertical.

Not on NXOE though.

Anfony O

Definitely something different with the aiming. Been playing halo since 2002 first time I have extreme difficulty with some of the easiest shots. I used to play at around 3 sensitivity now i'm on 2 it's helped a lot but that sudden spike in speed is extremely annoying. I'm still haven't updated to the new xbox experience

I have the Lunar Rover controller and I noticed the same issues. I've learned to play with the aiming as it is, but going back to any of the games in the MCC, and I fucking sweep the floor most games.

Warzone is where I do abysmally in H5 with these controls. Too much going on and on top of that, I'm fighting the controls. All the up-close stuff feels like total butt.

Same here. Im starting to think there is just a sliiiiight situation with the 3.5mm controllers. I dont want to put the lunar controller away:(

link1201

New Details on the upcoming aiming update:
Advanced Controller Settings

Sandbox Team here with a quick update. We are excited to share with you that as part of next week’s update, we have added some additional options to the Controller Menu that will allow you to further customize your shooting/aiming experience. Included with the Cartographer's Gift update are customizable settings for:
•Look Acceleration
•Inner Dead Zone
•Outer Dead Zone

Here is a quick overview of each and some guidance on using them.

LOOK ACCELERATION

Look Acceleration adjusts the time it takes to hit max look speed when you peg (apply 100% input in any direction) the look stick. The higher the setting, the quicker you will reach top speed, and the lower the setting, the longer it takes to reach top speed.

Currently, this value defaults to 3. For Halo 5's launch, we made the Look Acceleration a tad faster than it has been in past games and the Halo 5 Multiplayer Beta. This was done in part to help you make large aim corrections a bit faster (for example, if someone is attacking you from behind it allows you to more quickly do a 180). If you would like the Look Acceleration to match the Multiplayer Beta, use a setting of 2 here.

INNER DEAD ZONE

The Inner Dead Zone refers to a small region around the analog stick’s center position where we disregard input. Inner Dead Zone is used to prevent drift (camera movement when you aren’t applying any input to the look stick). This is caused because the analog sticks do not always return perfectly to center for a variety of reasons (manufacturing tolerances, wear and tear on the controller, etc). Note that the default we use here aligns with the platform recommended value and is what past Halo games have also used.

Recommended tuning process: Try turning the Inner Dead Zone down to 0% and test if you run into cases where after releasing the look stick, the camera continues drifting. If you do get drift, increase the inner dead zone setting a bit and try again. Ideally, you want as small of a deadzone as possible so that you're maximizing as much of the analog stick as possible.

OUTER DEAD ZONE

The Outer Dead Zone allows you to adjust the point at which the analog stick registers as hitting 100% input. Outer Dead Zone is used to prevent slow turn (when you are applying 100% input on the look stick but not reaching top look speed). The larger the Outer Dead Zone, the sooner you will hit 100%.

Recommended tuning process: Try turning the Outer Dead Zone down to 0% and test if you run into cases where you can’t hit the "pegged state" and encounter slow turn. If you do get slow turn, increase it a bit more and try again. Note that the majority of cases we found where people were encountering slowturn were somewhat hard to discover as the problem tended to be inconsistent and were often happening only when clenching, torqueing, or rotating the analog stick around the edges a tad. So you might need to experiment with this one a tad more before settling on the proper setting

Finally -- note that the default values on these parameters are all identical to what we (and you) have been using previously. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about this update changing anything. If you don’t touch them, the game will play identically to how it has. But for those of you that want the ability to more intimately adjust your aiming experience, these parameters should provide more fine-tuned control that will help better adjust the game to your specific controller hardware and personal preferences.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-5-advanced-controller-settings

Top Bottom