• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

Nutter

Which isn't saying much considering Halo 2's MP was trash, even though people seem to be wearing rose-colored glasses regarding that now. I wish there was an archive of the Bungie.net forums for the first year to remind people how much everyone almost unanimously hated it.

Your salt knows no bounds. I love it.

What did you think of Reach? Because to many that started the downfall of Halo. But i am sure Bungie are still kings to you when it comes to competitive shooters right? oh wait.

//ARCANUM

They'll get right on it after fixing MCC.

image.php

Grazzt

Yeah let's talk about MCC even if the thread is about Halo 5.
I would say, if you haven't played Halo 5 yet, just shut up.

T.O.P

Banned
Which isn't saying much considering Halo 2's MP was trash, even though people seem to be wearing rose-colored glasses regarding that now. I wish there was an archive of the Bungie.net forums for the first year to remind people how much everyone almost unanimously hated it.

lolwut

TheOddOne

So basically "we aren't going to fix it unless you are still complaining in a few weeks." Ugh
Bravo is also on the case (He usually helped fast to respond to Halo 4's problems):
You should rest assured that anything that makes the front page (or first few pages, really) is not only looked at and fully reviewed, but immediately discussed with game and services teams who are rotating on 24/7 shifts. That said, many of you have likely seen Ghost's reply in the other thread, but we're also passing this on to the right folks to ensure that everything is working correctly. Thanks for taking the time to put together, u/z0oinks !

Nutter

Many fans who have been there since day one, can attest that H5 is not only a great MP game, its also the best playing one since Halo CE in many ways. Plenty of people are getting salty by getting reminded how shitty they really are at playing something that isn't COD or destiny. But I see that the usual suspects are here, so i will bow out.

Madness

Go back and take a look at the state that MCC is in still. Just because the press and most of the Halo series fan base is content to throw another $60 at these guys doesn't mean we all are.

I know what state MCC is in. I bought an Xbox One solely for the game and haven't touched it in 7+ months. I probably can count on one hand the number of games I played on MCC. It's perhaps one of the worst launched games of the past ten years, maybe more and yet, it's had no bearing on Halo 5 which had an almost flawless beta, and Halo 5 works ridiculously well, with few hiccups mostly related to launch week server issues. Is every Halo 5 or 343 thread going to be about MCC? Halo 5 works well, and in fact has had a better launch than even Halo 4 had.

Master. Chief. Collection.

Also, let's remember the game-breaking glitch in Halo 4's Reclaimer chapeter that 343i not only never bothered to fix, but also had the total fucking nerve to reproduce and not fix in the MCC.

This team is the jabroni squad of Halo.

343 Industries did not do the ports for Halo 4 and patches were costly in the 360 Era. They're hardly the first to ignore a bug that only affects a small amount of people. I mean, I played Halo 4 without ever encountering that glitch. I get the frustration of Master Chief Collection, but is every Halo related thread or 343 thread going to be about MCC? They apologized, they offered some compensation, a large number of people got refunds from MS or were able to return the game to the stores, and then it later went free as a pack in for new owners. You could say they aimed too high with what they wanted versus what they got, but they don't deserve the insults or abuse like that. What happened to civil discourse and discussion?

Yeah, it feels off. I thought it was the sensitivity, so I messed around with that. It still felt weird. I hope they fix it soon.

Bane

Eh, feels fine to me so far. Though I did notice when configuring with the Elite controller that if I set the stick dead zone to, I think, slow it makes it unplayable the diagonal aiming is so slow.

Gwyn

So basically "we aren't going to fix it unless you are still complaining in a few weeks." Ugh

So basically you don't know what you are talking about:

"So, our Pro Team went through numerous tests over the course of a few months with our lead sandbox designer, Chris King, and the rest of his team in regards to how our how aim felt leading up to the release."

and yes i trust the pro team at balancing the game than people on GAF constantly hating on 343i for no reason.

Impulsor

REgardless of this problem, which I have not yet noticed my self while playing the game, I'mnot really havign all the fun I wanted to have with Halo 5.

Since Halo 4, in fact, I'm not enjoying the series as much as I'd want.

I miss Bungie's Halo.

I'm kinda pissed off at what 343 are doing to the series. And now these things...a re design choices? Well, what a bad choice then.

panda-zebra

So it's intentional and something you have to get used to, fair enough. Anyone think it'd possibly be exploitable via a 3rd party device to take more advantage of the quicker cardinals somehow?

Already happened with Halo 3. There's a reason why there was a sudden influx of people asking "how to get a better BR" when in Halo 2 nobody had problems. Aim acceleration was uncomfortable as fuck in that game.

I don't remember any aiming issues in Halo 3, but then that might be because I rarely used the battle rifle.

Admodieus

I know what state MCC is in. I bought an Xbox One solely for the game and haven't touched it in 7+ months. I probably can count on one hand the number of games I played on MCC. It's perhaps one of the worst launched games of the past ten years, maybe more and yet, it's had no bearing on Halo 5 which had an almost flawless beta, and Halo 5 works ridiculously well, with few hiccups mostly related to launch week server issues. Is every Halo 5 or 343 thread going to be about MCC? Halo 5 works well, and in fact has had a better launch than even Halo 4 had.

343 Industries did not do the ports for Halo 4 and patches were costly in the 360 Era. They're hardly the first to ignore a bug that only affects a small amount of people. I mean, I played Halo 4 without ever encountering that glitch. I get the frustration of Master Chief Collection, but is every Halo related thread or 343 thread going to be about MCC? They apologized, they offered some compensation, a large number of people got refunds from MS or were able to return the game to the stores, and then it later went free as a pack in for new owners. You could say they aimed too high with what they wanted versus what they got, but they don't deserve the insults or abuse like that. What happened to civil discourse and discussion?

I'm glad Halo 5 is a great game for everyone who bought it, but people still have a right to be upset over MCC. And 343 hasn't earned any credibility back with H5 out for less than a week. They'll write their own story with post release support for the game, but until then it's perfectly valid for people to view them as having poor QA and community relations.

So basically you don't know what you are talking about:

"So, our Pro Team went through numerous tests over the course of a few months with our lead sandbox designer, Chris King, and the rest of his team in regards to how our how aim felt leading up to the release."

and yes i trust the pro team at balancing the game than people on GAF constantly hating on 343i for no reason.
What the hell are you on about?

Lothars

I don't know if it's broken but I definitely notice issues with it. It might take some getting use to but I do feel something is weird with it.

I also agree with not giving 343 the benefit of the doubt but hopefully they figure out the issue and fix it asap.

if its their design choice

its not broken

but a poor design choice
agreed

Already happened with Halo 3. There's a reason why there was a sudden influx of people asking "how to get a better BR" when in Halo 2 nobody had problems. Aim acceleration was uncomfortable as fuck in that game.
Maybe it's because it was 8 years ago but I certainly don't remember that being the case in Halo 3.

Many fans who have been there since day one, can attest that H5 is not only a great MP game, its also the best playing one since Halo CE in many ways. Plenty of people are getting salty by getting reminded how shitty they really are at playing something that isn't COD or destiny. But I see that the usual suspects are here, so i will bow out.

I've been playing since CE, made the 40s in Halo 2, 50 in Halo 3, Onyx in Reach and can easily beat people in MCC. Something about the aiming feels extremely wrong in this game. I switched back to MCC and was still able to easily aim and shoot. All the people I play with who are also fairly good are having the same issue. It only seems to be people who haven't played since 2 that are calling it the best since 2.

nomis

tbf nobody had a problem having a good BR in H2 because it was a fucking hitscan laser beam with absurd amounts of reticle pull

Nutter

I can see you all miss that Bungie Halo with AR starts on BTB maps, and a BR that shoots peas for bullets, or wait, how about armor lock, no? how about bloom?

But hey those rose tinted glasses must be nice.

GavinGT

Banned
There's also an entirely separate problem with the aiming, which is that the velocity curve has been tampered with. It's something like this:

9QziCsW.png

...instead of a linear relationship. This means you get unexpected bursts of reticle movement. I could theoretically fix this if I bought an Elite controller, as that's one of the tweaking options. But that's crazy.

It's not an issue of narrowing the skill gap, either. I just want consistency.

Not had any issues . Thread is basically just a 343 bashing thread .

343 in no way admit it is a bug , rather they played for 2 years and found its the best way to handle it (and pro players agreed )

The 60fps has taken me more time to adjust then some aim sensitivity .

Madness

I can see you all miss that Bungie Halo with AR starts on BTB maps, and a BR that shoots peas for bullets, or wait, how about armor lock, no? how about bloom?

But hey those rose tinted glasses must be nice.

I think it's the low aim assist that is making everyone jump on this issue. For the first time in almost 14 years, we've had some of the lowest aim assist in a Halo game. This is a good thing. I'm now a scrub tier player but I'm having a good time playing, even when I'm getting my ass handed to me.

I don't remember any aiming issues in Halo 3, but then that might be because I rarely used the battle rifle.

It was a more pertinent question in BR-focused competitive circles for sure. I remember when the old MLG forums were flooded with questions about how to get a better BR. The question even made Tom Taylor (Tom Taylor), better known as Tsquared (Tsquared)'s pro tips minute thing on G4.

Evo X

Ha! I noticed the first night that aiming felt weird, but my friends ignored it and made fun of me for using it as an excuse to justify my initial poor performance. Glad to see I'm not crazy.

Usually use 5 sensitivity in Halo games, but had to lower it to 3 in this one. Probably played about 20 hours of H5 at this point and am used to it now. Not sure if changing it will make me better or worse at this point.

What am I looking for here? I haven't noticed anything amiss with the game but I've only played SP and I haven't changed any sensitivity or anything as yet.

The 60fps has taken me more time to adjust then some aim sensitivity .

All the games in MCC are 60fps and they feel pretty much the same as the originals. Halo 5 feels extremely different in aiming, something you would definitely pick up if you played the games with consistency.

It's not an "aim sensitivity" issue, it's that the crosshair moves at different speeds depending on the axis you move it on.

leeh

All the games in MCC are 60fps and they feel pretty much the same as the originals. Halo 5 feels extremely different in aiming, something you would definitely pick up if you played the games with consistency.

It's not an "aim sensitivity" issue, it's that the crosshair moves at different speeds depending on the axis you move it on.
Never picked it up, played Halo since the original. Mountain out of a molehill.

Top Bottom