• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 aiming system: the good, the bad (or bugged with new controllers?)

Madness

I'm glad Halo 5 is a great game for everyone who bought it, but people still have a right to be upset over MCC. And 343 hasn't earned any credibility back with H5 out for less than a week. They'll write their own story with post release support for the game, but until then it's perfectly valid for people to view them as having poor QA and community relations.

How many other franchise directors, studio heads and designers do you know that still engage fans on multiple forums? How many developers are giving you the Sprints, which probably offer the most comprehensive look at a video games development?

I never said you didn't have a right to be upset about MCC. I still have some anger and regret at the game too. But what does that have to do with Halo 5? Its like saying, I bought this Chevy car that was a lemon, I'm going to go to a thread about the new Corvette and say because my Cavalier was shit, they don't deserve the praise they're getting for the Corvette or that it's fair game etc. Poor analogy, but I hope you can understand what I'm saying. Plus, it was in response to someone flat out insulting them, calling them 'fucking hacks'. When is that ever tolerable? What happened to normal conversation?

It's a little tricky to aim the rifles but it feels fine with the pistols. I really only noticed it in multiplayer but it was not a deal breaker and not so much when I did the campaign the other day.

So maybe they will change it soon? Who knows.

RulkezX

In the main OT many people are saying this is the best multiplayer since Halo 2.

Yeah it's nuts. The OT is super positive, but 343 are now hacks because people are aware of am issue that hardly anyone noticed + it gives those that didn't buy it further validation that omghaloisrooooind.

This bug isn't great, it should be fixed but its not running the game for competative play because it effects everyone. The good players should still stomp scrubs.

i've played the mp for 15 hours now and haven't noticed anything.
just needed some time to get used to the new controls like with every other game.
best mp since a very long time, love it!

There's also an entirely separate problem with the aiming, which is that the velocity curve has been tampered with. It's something like this:

9QziCsW.png

...instead of a linear relationship. This means you get unexpected bursts of reticle movement. I could theoretically fix this if I bought an Elite controller, as that's one of the tweaking options. But that's crazy.

It's not an issue of narrowing the skill gap, either. I just want consistency.
I can see how this and the thing in the op can be the reason I can't hit shit in Arena when I was just fine in MCC the week before Halo 5.
All the games in MCC are 60fps and they feel pretty much the same as the originals. Halo 5 feels extremely different in aiming, something you would definitely pick up if you played the games with consistency.

It's not an "aim sensitivity" issue, it's that the crosshair moves at different speeds depending on the axis you move it on.
Yeah, the aiming in Halo 2 anniversary specifically is great, Halo 5's is so drastically different that it hurts my enjoyment of the game massively.

A predictable click bait title, once again.

It isn't a bug, it's a design choice. Sure, it's different to what we're used to, but it works. Highlighting a sentence about a bug in the beta that was removed by launch doesn't change that...unless of course you're highlighting it to possibly explain why some people feel its off, as they're used to beta aiming. I especially cannot relate to posts by people saying "I could aim fine in a different fps, but cannot in this". Sure OK, you specify a particular Halo game, but it is literally a different game. Me being any good at this, is not going to make me equally good in DOOM.

Still, the multiplayer is amazing, I haven't played a game online this much for years and I still just want to play more.

Klyka

Banned
It certainly looks weird in the video that was linked, but apparently it works really well when you actually use it?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
If there's a difference between horizontal and vertical sensitivity it doesn't mean it's broken, I've noticed this in other games, it's intentional.

Also, looking into it = confirmed to be broken? Umm, ok I guess.

leeh

After reading all the material posted, nothing is confirmed. They've just said, that they'll take a look and see if it's a problem.

GavinGT

Banned
A predictable click bait title, one again.

It isn't a bug, it's a design choice. Sure, it's different to what we're used to, but it works. Highlighting a sentence about a bug in the beta that was removed by launch doesn't change that...unless of course you're highlighting it to possibly explain why some people feel its off, as they're used to beta aiming.

Still, the multiplayer is amazing, I haven't played a game online this much for years and I still just want to play more.

I refuse to believe that something this fundamentally broken could be considered a design choice...

Lothars

It certainly looks weird in the video that was linked, but apparently it works really well when you actually use it?
I don't know how well it really works from the time I've put into the game but so far I am not a fan of the aiming. I need to put more time into it though I feel it is really weird.

While its off topic, and yes i hate nostalgia comments... he is right though that H2 for multiplayer was reviled when it came out.

Huh? I do not recall that at all--and most certainly not to any widespread extent.

GameSpot called it "most complete online multiplayer component in a console shooter yet. "

GavinGT

Banned
If there's a difference between horizontal and vertical sensitivity it doesn't mean it's broken, I've noticed this in other games, it's intentional.

Also, looking into it = confirmed to be broken? Umm, ok I guess.

You misread the OP. It's diagonal movements that are far slower than horizontal or vertical movements. Watch the video.

A predictable click bait title, once again.

It isn't a bug, it's a design choice. Sure, it's different to what we're used to, but it works. Highlighting a sentence about a bug in the beta that was removed by launch doesn't change that...unless of course you're highlighting it to possibly explain why some people feel its off, as they're used to beta aiming. I especially cannot relate to posts by people saying "I could aim fine in a different fps, but cannot in this". Sure OK, you specify a particular Halo game, but it is literally a different game. Me being any good at this, is not going to make me equally good in DOOM.

It's not a particular Halo game, it's every single halo game.

With this bug you basically have to change your aiming technique so when you're in a firefight you have to be thinking "If I aim diagonally, push the stick more, when I move onto x and y axis push it less". This is horrible, no other game I've ever played does that, can you point one out for us?

Klyka

Banned
I don't know how well it really works from the time I've put into the game but so far I am not a fan of the aiming. I need to put more time into it though I feel it is really weird.

I guess the biggest problem would be if you jump from game to game.
Say if you played CoD and then you play some rounds of Halo 5, the aiming would obviously throw you off cause the sensitivity just totally changed in not really standard ways.

But I bet you can get used to this quite quickly.
I remember being very thrown off by Splatoon's aiming and after 2 hours or so I didn't even have to think about it anymore.

Not for me at least. The aiming is Halo 5 is not like anything I've ever experienced in any other shooter. It just feels off and trying to hit shots feels like I'm fighting against the game rather than fighting against an opponent. There's just nothing natural about it for me.

Stupidest design choice ever. The beta felt fucking sublime this shit is horrid. I felt it from match one, forward. Please 343 don't be stupid and fix this nonsense, the beta was fantastic don't ruin a game with a stupid design choice.

Not for me at least. The aiming is Halo 5 is not like anything I've ever experienced in any other shooter. It just feels off and trying to hit shots feels like I'm fighting against the game rather than fighting against an opponent. There's just nothing natural about it for me.
Yep, the aiming just feels wrong. I've got like 20 or more hours in the game and the aiming still feels wrong.

Klyka

Banned
Aiming your reticle is the whole game. Yes, it's fundamental.

I think he is trying to say that it's not "broken" per say because you can for all intentions and purposes, still properly play the game. You might not be able to play it how you want specifically, but the game is fully functional.

I think he is trying to say that it's not "broken" per say because you can for all intentions and purposes, still properly play the game. You might not be able to play it how you want specifically, but the game is fully functional.

Nailed it. It's fine if it's not to one's personal preference, even if it objectively worse than how it should be. That doesn't make it "broken."

Fuck people want non broken aiming in an FPS? These people are insane to want that lololol. Easier aiming, working aiming like every other FPS.

its not broken at all, players still have great precision even with the supposed *borked aiming" I mean people can kill cross map with the pistol ffs, it's just a lot more difficult than past halo games.

It's broken from a design standpoint. It functions, but not like aiming should.

GavinGT

Banned

If my car moved slower when I was travelling northeast than it does when traveling either north or east, I'd say something about my car is fundamentally broken.

TheOddOne

Ha! I noticed the first night that aiming felt weird, but my friends ignored it and made fun of me for using it as an excuse to justify my initial poor performance. Glad to see I'm not crazy.

Usually use 5 sensitivity in Halo games, but had to lower it to 3 in this one. Probably played about 20 hours of H5 at this point and am used to it now. Not sure if changing it will make me better or worse at this point.
Try changing the sensitivity to 6-7 and turning off vibration. Kind of did wonders for me.

animation1gguwo.gif

animation2vfu8v.gif

animation4v0uh6.gif

Design choice, but seems like a real bad one. I definitely want equal sensitivity on all axis when playing multiplayer shooters. It seems especially weird in this Halo, where player movement and level layout seems much more about verticality than before.

343 just can't do anything right, in regards to halo it seems. They wanted to make the game 60 frames a second so it feels more responsive but they making the aiming sluggish and slow. Great choice meatheads! Please fix this so that I can love Halo 5.

GavinGT

Banned
Great, so it's not a problem for some people. Maybe the rest of us just aim differently and these issues become more obvious for us.

This is horrible, no other game I've ever played does that, can you point one out for us?

I do not believe I said other games do this?

You don't have to think about it at all like that, that isn't the point. It actually helps with all the aiming, giving the player tighter control, keeping you on the oppositions head. You work with it, it just takes a little getting used to. With it equal in all directions, it's absolutely horrendous.

And again, click bait title. Minority of users complaining about something that is going to be looked into because 343i are a great team who want to show they're listening and not just throwing out a product and sitting back...doesn't mean it's confirmed.

You could call me an arsehole, I could "look into it" but that isn't conformation. You get what I mean? I murder investigation is not confirmation of the crime or culprit, is it? Extreme example, yes...but still valid.

ResoRai

GIF--Not-Impressed-Eww-Euw-Awful-Bad-disgust-Lavell-Crawford-GIF.gif

Dayum. Surprised at the incredible negativity seeing the incredible praise for the mp and gunplay. Guess they gotta strike when the opportunity presents itself, eh?

Have yet to play H5, but have experienced similar aiming in other shooters. Some bug me at first, but it works well in others sometimes. Guess I'll see when I get the game.

Edit: Loved how it felt in the beta tho.

Sounds like calculated design, development and iterations at work. Does anyone not expect titles like Halo to receive a number of updates on key elements like aiming, strafing etc? Sustain and title updates always tweak such things.

I'm more of a radar on type of objective and default sandbox player, over MLG type hardcore stuff, and I trust 343/pro teams getting aiming and moving right. The game plays great in all 3 major modes so far. I haven't thought to myself oh my reticule wasn't where I put it or I didn't move quick enough. I die from missing shots, being out played etc and not because of the diagonal aiming movement.

Does the truth hurt that bad?

21,000+ posts and you're still a shit poster? Time to dust off the ignore button.

I do not believe I said other games do this?

You don't have to think about it at all like that, that isn't the point. It actually helps with all the aiming, giving the player tighter control, keeping you on the oppositions head. You work with it, it just takes a little getting used to. With it equal in all directions, it's absolutely horrendous.
No it doesn't, it makes aiming inconsistent. This along with the apparent acceleration issue makes really hard for many people to land shots like they can in other Halo games, or evem other shooters in general.

tuna_love

Banned
343 just can't do anything right, in regards to halo it seems. They wanted to make the game 60 frames a second so it feels more responsive but they making the aiming sluggish and slow. Great choice meatheads! Please fix this so that I can love Halo 5.
Goodness

Top Bottom