• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

Jedi Otter

What did you do before ADS ? I seriously don't get it. How did you aim before ? Was it all just hip firing before ?

I've only played a little bit of Halo and I seriously don't understand the outrage.

So, it used to be really accurate hip fire, and some weapons could zoom in, just the entire screen would zoom in.

Black-Box

Threw this together

djoSSlj.jpg

Hopefully it makes sense now why this is either a bad change or a completely pointless one.

Has been a while since I played so nvm.

DEADEVIL

Yeah, and Halo Reach was one of the worst received Halo games. Right next to, oh, Halo 4. Huh.

Your point?

People who just blindly buy the next game in the series are why game devs can get away with this. As long as they focus on the casual horde, it's all good. The core fans of the series can go bend over the railing and await inspection.

Even if this is just cosmetic, or just a variation on the BR scope (I'm really hoping for this. Stupid customization is better than changies in key mechanics..), 343i has made so many mistakes already that it's hard to have much faith.

Lol. Worst received by who? My god that 91`Metacritic really destroyed the brand. So people 'blindly' bought Reach. Nah. Millions bought Reach and played the hell out of it AFTER we all played the hell out of the Beta. As a day one Halo fan the Reach Beta was probably one of my all-time fave gaming moments last gen.

It's still fun how literally people are pretending that Sprint in a HALO game fours years after it was introduced is the end of the apocalypse for H5.

Umm... Did you make this? If so, I cannot help but get the feeling you've completely MISSED the possibility that this ADS is nothing but a redesign of the classic scope... I've watched the clip probably 50 times +, and noticed no movement speed reduction when the person looks through the scope, and although its just a second of hip fire shooting we get to see, the recoil from the hip and the scope seem to be exactly the same.

No I could be wrong, its just from observation, and the quality of the clip and duration doesn't make it any easier, but yes your list is correct. But adding that little scope picture from the clip, under the ADS list makes it seem that everything you listed is true in the clip, which is not the case (well from what I've observed).

i could have pulled up any picture of ADS but I used the one from the video because it's relevant to Halo.

Nyoro SF

Man, I can't believe there's a 22 page thread the day before the beta releases, with the collective notion of "god damnit 343 you fucked up Halo again"

How do you fuck this up so badly AGAIN after months(years) of fucking up and saying "trust us, we know what we're doing"

This is what happens when you trust PR a little too much.

I remember Street Fighter x Tekken, Capcom says "we're listening"! Meanwhile a month down the line they release the Ultimate Defense gem.

If anyone says "it's just a beta, things can change" they are very much kidding themselves. Nothing is going to change. Game development is not that forgiving and they know the sales won't be affected very much if at all.

patapuf

Well whats your definition of core gameplay? I always thought it was the trinity? Which has remained essentially the same. Secondly games NEED to evolve. Just like any other industry. You cannot stay stale. You have to innovate. Halo needs to be innovative. H1 and H2 were very innovative. They introduced a lot of new concepts or just did it better than everyone else.

What you guys are looking for is that feeling of innovation. 343 for better or worse are trying to find that again. Going back to the innovative solutions that H2 and H1 provided isn't the answer. This is 2014. Halo needs to solve shooter stagnation for 2014. You cant be innovative in this industry by doing THE SAME THING. If Halo did the SAME thing we wouldn't have had H1 or H2.

Like I said the answer may not be mechanics that are familiar to COD it's definitely NOT what you guys think. If you want to play those games play MCC.

introducing ADS is not innovating, like, at all. It's also the opposite of solving the shooter stagantion since aside from Counter strike (which is having a huge popularity boost) almost every shooter uses it.

Peterpan

Call of Duty
Honestly I hear what you saying and I can't see it. Halo is Halo and you do not take risk with your big IPs unless it is losing traction, It breaks records everytime it comes out. It is no COD, but it sells a a lot still. 343i seem more ambitious though and want to take risks, I means they stated Halo 4 in production felt too much like Halo and they changed it. This has 343i all over it. But can not say for sure.

Sai-kun

Banned
Umm... Did you make this? If so, I cannot help but get the feeling you've completely MISSED the possibility that this ADS is nothing but a redesign of the classic scope... I've watched the clip probably 50 times +, and noticed no movement speed reduction when the person looks through the scope, and although its just a second of hip fire shooting we get to see, the recoil from the hip and the scope seem to be exactly the same.

No I could be wrong, its just from observation, and the quality of the clip and duration doesn't make it any easier, but yes your list is correct. But adding that little scope picture from the clip, under the ADS list makes it seem that everything you listed is true in the clip, which is not the case (well from what I've observed).

If this is the case, why? Spartans get a camera link to their scope inside their helmets. They have literally zero use for actually looking down their sights. You think they would just retcon that for no reason at all?

No, what most of us would like is for 343i to keep Halo's core combat loop intact and find other ways to innovate and keep the series fresh.

You're riding in here on the high road wanting to know what we think those innovations should be. That's 343's fucking job, not ours. Wow us. Innovate. Show us something that isn't a copy/paste job from mainstream military shooters. Show us something that makes sense within Halo's combat loop and sandbox.

We covered all of this at H4's launch and after its subsequent crash and burn. Now, apparently, here we are again...

If you don't know what would make a good halo game I can't trust you to tell me what would make a good halo game.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So the drama of the day is people are complaining about sprint, while also complaining they want mindless running and gunning.

Also, having to slow down to aim at something is apparently handholding, as opposed to just hip firing everything, no matter what the distance is.

Makes absolutely no fucking sense to me.

Zabant

Threw this together

djoSSlj.jpg

Hopefully it makes sense now why this is either a bad change or a completely pointless one.

There are some serious jumping to conclusions here. This is a 'worst case scenario' for the folks that don't want the traditional ADS mechanic added, but to share this as Fact when all we have is a 5 second clip of a closed beta is madness.

BokehKing

Banned
No, what most of us would like is for 343i to keep Halo's core combat loop intact and find other ways to innovate and keep the series fresh.

You're riding in here on the high road wanting to know what we think those innovations should be. That's 343's fucking job, not ours. Wow us. Innovate. Show us something that isn't a copy/paste job from mainstream military shooters. Show us something that makes sense within Halo's combat loop and sandbox.

We covered all of this at H4's launch and after its subsequent crash and burn. Now, apparently, here we are again...

I think people are over reacting to why people stopped playing halo 4, mostly because blops2 was the more enjoyable game. Even if halo4 mimic' halo 2, those players were still leaving regardless

Compsiox

Banned
Honestly I hear what you saying and I can't see it. Halo is Halo and you do not take risk with your big IPs unless it is losing traction, It breaks records everytime it comes out. It is no COD, but it sells a a lot still. 343i seem more ambitious though and want to take risks, I means they stated Halo 4 in production felt too much like Halo and they changed it. This has 343i all over it. But can not say for sure.

after seeing the new footage i no longer care

Well whats your definition of core gameplay? I always thought it was the trinity? Which has remained essentially the same. Secondly games NEED to evolve. Just like any other industry. You cannot stay stale. You have to innovate. Halo needs to be innovative. H1 and H2 were very innovative. They introduced a lot of new concepts or just did it better than everyone else.

What you guys are looking for is that feeling of innovation. 343 for better or worse are trying to find that again. Going back to the innovative solutions that H2 and H1 provided isn't the answer. This is 2014. Halo needs to solve shooter stagnation for 2014. You cant be innovative in this industry by doing THE SAME THING. If Halo did the SAME thing we wouldn't have had H1 or H2.

Like I said the answer may not be mechanics that are familiar to COD it's definitely NOT what you guys think. If you want to play those games play MCC.

First of all Halo was the only and still the only shooter that does what it does. A good game doesn't need to be innovative. Halo is not just about the trinity. It is about movement, map control, weapon control, and fundamentally your skill level. Halo focus more on skill than anything else.You take out any of those elements it is no longer Halo. If we are not able to jump, strafe, and move like we were able to do in the previous iterations with using ADS then the game is no longer Halo. I am just waiting until tomorrow and during the beta before 343 get my hate.

Sushi Nao

Wow, after getting membership here, I don't know why I go anywhere else to talk about design choices. The best I get is "THEY'RE BOTH PRETTY MUCH TEH SAME". It's disheartening :/

Heal me GAF in thine knowledgeable, relatively tranquil light

sp3000

So the drama of the day is people are complaining about sprint, while also complaining they want mindless running and gunning.

Also, having to slow down to aim at something is apparently handholding, as opposed to just hip firing everything, no matter what the distance is.

Makes absolutely no fucking sense to me.

Probably makes no sense because you've never played anything except shitty military shooters in your life

Lucent

There are some serious jumping to conclusions here. This is a 'worst case scenario' for the folks that don't want the traditional ADS mechanic added, but to share this as Fact when all we have is a 5 second clip of a closed beta is madness.

This_is_NeoGAF.gif

I see it too much and it's eff'n crazy.

Burt

Waiting for the inevitable "People that liked the old Halo can play MCC. We're just providing the consumers with choice."

This graphic is only comparing the difference between Halo's scope and traditional ADS, and what traditional ADS would mean if it came over to Halo. The Halo 5 picture was used for relevancy, not for confirmation.

The fact remains that you made that poster without hands on knowledge of the game. It's guess work.

No. The left side is fact based on how Halo has worked, and the right side is fact based on how ADS traditionally works. It was not my intention to confirm traditional ADS was being used in Halo 5. The last paragraph only states that traditional ADS would be a problem if that's how it worked in Halo 5.

Top Bottom