• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

with the new footage I say everyone wait until tomorrow. From what I see I like it. Doesn't look like we need ADS to do anything so I am really going to assume that the ADS is cosmetics only.

Again you are jumping to conclusions. You say you can't sprint and shoot at the same time? I can do just that in Titanfall with the run and gun kit. By having sprint, you have more gradation in movement speed, and the only difference in Titanfall is that your gun goes down when not shooting.

Having sprint is more of a binary between moving super slow or super fast, rather than a gradation.

danwarb

Just because you don't see ADS in these gifs doesn't mean they are not in. Also I'm not sure, if it's the running animation, but he places the AR in the middle in the first gif at the end.

I'm really curious how this will turn out tomorrow. The reveal can't come soon enough.

Irrelevant if there's no penalty, and movement isn't slowed in ADS/zoom. It'd be the same as scope & zoom.

DesertFox

A GUIDE TO WHY PEOPLE ARE ANNOYED FOR THE UNINITIATED

The year is 2014. The multiplayer FPS genre has been dominated by a very specific brand of aim down sights/sprint based shooters, which started really exploding with the popularity of Call of Duty. Since then, for the majority of shooters... if you want to play them, you have to deal with that type of combat and gameplay.

But there existed a time before Call of Duty. A time when Unreal Tournament and Quake existed, which were some of the most finely tuned and blazingly fast FPS multiplayer experiences ever made to this day. A time when Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer was so sweetly balanced that it didn't need to hold your hand so you could hit something. The gameplay itself was so engaging and so competitive that you felt compelled to get better, and didn't need a constant feed of positive reinforcement to do so. You didn't need level ups and fuckin' attachments and stat differentials; it wasn't how much you grinded that mattered, but how much of the accumulated skill sets you internalized.

Halo existed in the between time, right when consoles were starting to be really feasible for competitive FPS titles. And it added some new things, yes, but it was still very much rooted in an older tradition, one where again it was simply skill vs. skill and the pace was entirely governed by the rules it played by which remained a staple.

Consider where we are today. One of the reasons people were so furious about Tomb Raider 2013 is that it destroyed entirely a gametype that literally no longer exists in the industry, replacing it with something we see every other goddamn day. It may have been acceptable in some remote way if we had a world where the older genre was thriving, but we don't. And it's not like the older genre was bad (quite the contrary, it remains amongst the best ideas ever had in gaming) - it's just newer gamers were conditioned to have their hands held to such an extreme that they no longer could adjust to those old gameplay ideals.

The same is true of Halo. Because there are extremely few games anymore in the old tradition. Almost no games in the old Halo tradition. They simply don't exist, squeezed out of existence by whining new fans who couldn't adjust, couldn't acquire the skill sets, and therefore demanded the few remaining vestiges of this amazing older style to be expunged. So now Halo too is becoming like all those other "me-too" shooters, and where does that leave those who actually liked that older tradition? With few if any options left.

And that's just part of the issue.

Because maybe if there was some way to do ADS/Sprint and still make it feel like Halo, people would accept it. But as demonstrated with Halo 4, there isn't. It destroyed the heart and soul of the multiplayer and the community simply abandoned it, full stop. They catered to people who did not fucking care and the result is the series cratered.

When you have ADS/Sprint, it changes the entire ebb and flow of the combat. Where before you had "Run and Gun" characteristics, now you have "Run or Gun" flow, where people are either slowing/stopping to shoot through iron sights or then engaging sprint to get out of dodge. This literally transforms the way a traditional Halo match used to go. And it doesn't transform it into something better, but something vastly different, with lower skill requirements and that feels like a billion other shooters on the market.

You don't have to be a fan of Halo to understand why this is so problematic to so many.
Quoting this for another page because 343 needs to read this.

Can't believe we might be subjected to yet another CoDified Halo after 343 openly acknowledged they dropped the ball with Halo 4. Halo just simply shouldn't have these mechanics. What is so hard to understand about that? If Halo 5 still hasn't retured to formula, I'm gonna be done with the franchise.
I'm sure I'll rent it for a campaign playthrough at the very least

Justrekt

Neo Member
ibNUjArhLF7BT.gif

Noob tube. Commence neogaf freakout part two.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm not sure how any of the new footage invalidates the old, especially when there is a blip of the AR being aimed at the end of the first one.

ADS for all weapons might just be like scope for all weapons (but not all weapons have scope so ADS it is)

Even though it may end up being bad for the game, I always wish I could have a scope or some form of ADS for the Assault Rifle. I usually end up zooming in, centering, then shooting and hoping it worked lol

If ADS is in the game, then I really have lost hope in 343i, and feel stupid for championing them transitioning the franchising so well in Halo 4.

All that talk of being in tune with the community, being aware of what we want, and then you go and make the same mistakes you make with Halo 4: proving you no longer wish to be leaders in the FPS space but followers that find comfort in homogenized mechanics in the genre that even fundamentally do not add much to the combat, or again make sense in the lore.

It's painful watching your favourite franchise contorted before your eyes, and if this is true, then I'm not sure what there is to look forward to, or what bit of uniquely Halo qualities are left.

I can't even fucking fathom why they would think this would be a good idea after the reaction to Halo 4 which's community died off ultra quick just for being more similar than dissimilar to your average FPS. Like, if you learned ANYTHING from Halo 4, it would have been not to go further in this direction.

343 were never leaders of anything in the first place. Just happened to be the group that got tasked with continuing the franchise.

Not sure why utmost faith is given to 343 with no track record beyond a poor Halo 4 campaign

...So what happens to Shinobi if he's wrong?

Why should anything happen to him?

Shinobi seems like a nice guy, he's not a blatant fanboy or someone with a bizarre agenda, he's someone who clearly knows people and he reports what he is told.

He doesn't need a 100% success rate, if he's wrong on things he should deal with that accordingly (if he feels he needs to).

Im not for some public slaying or something just because he might have gotten some incorrect information which as yet isn't wholly proven to be incorrect

patapuf

When a mechanic adds new risk/reward decisions it should be definitely considered imho. Halo has always been a hipfire game so I think the design should favor that, but including ADS to allow a player to sacrifice mobility and situational awareness to help land shots at a weapons maximum range seems like a positive.

Doesn't it really come down to tuning? If there is no penalty for hipfiring at short/short-medium range whats the problem?

And I'm not sure why ADS means you can't keep the classic system of getting knocked out of zoom rather than the flinch system they used in Halo 4.

They already allowed zoom on the weapons where it made sense (snipers and DMR's, in some installments the pistol worked like a DMR).

SMG's and shotguns with zoom are silly since they don't work well at max range anyway and weapons like the needler don't need any either.

I really, really doubt that they would add zoom to all weapons without adding mechanics to zooming.

Wollveren

Banned
Shinobi has apparently asked around and that's what he was told. We don't know if that means they are removable with loadouts or what.

Does that mean he is 100% right? I've only been a lurker for a year so not familiar with him, but is it possible he is mistaken, or maybe the information he received is wrong, or mis understood?

Top Bottom