• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 - Game Informer details

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. Buck. Blue team. Squad combat.

Fuck.

I need to get this game. But I don't have an XBO.

What games have come out/will come out before fall (that we know of) are MUST BUYS that are exclusive to the XBO?

I'm seriously considering buying one, but I don't want to do it for just 1 or 2 games.
I'd make a list, but that's a topic for another thread, honestly.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I wonder if this game will be bigger than Destiny?

Probably not if only for the fact that Destiny is available on five different platforms. If you're talking about just the platforms it's on, then I think Halo 5 very well could be.

I should caveat this, I don't think Halo 5 can be bigger than Destiny UNLESS perhaps Microsoft released it or a version of it for Windows 10. It would need other exposure outside of the Xbox platform to get that big, but Halo will be one of the definitive franchises for Xbox. It'll probably sell a lot of Xbox systems too. I think so far it deserves to be bigger than Destiny if only for the free maps! Any game that doesn't split the community should get high praise and recognition.

Damn. Buck. Blue team. Squad combat.

Fuck.

I need to get this game. But I don't have an XBO.

What games have come out/will come out before fall (that we know of) are MUST BUYS that are exclusive to the XBO?

I'm seriously considering buying one, but I don't want to do it for just 1 or 2 games.

There is bound to be a game or a few hundred that are good over the consoles life span.

Halo
Gears
Forza
Quantum Break
Lion Head's Game
Rare's Game
Sunset Overdrive
New IPs
ROTR

Hastati

I get the feeling this game will sell an inordinate number of consoles. I'm buying an X1 for it. Which seems silly to me, but I like halo enough that I can't bring myself to skip it. Hoping for some other bombshells from MS this E3.

rokkerkory

I get the feeling this game will sell an inordinate number of consoles. I'm buying an X1 for it. Which seems silly to me, but I like halo enough that I can't bring myself to skip it. Hoping for some other bombshells from MS this E3.

Hoping for halo 5 bundle with white console!

Anyone ever wonder that they began hearing the Didact's voice in the Chief's head after the Librarian accelerated his evolution? Wonder if the Didact was communicating to him through the Domain?

Even Cortana couldn't hear it.

It would be even lamer (more lame?) to bring her back

No, it is going to be awesome.

Anyone ever wonder that they began hearing the Didact's voice in the Chief's head after the Librarian accelerated his evolution? Wonder if the Didact was communicating to him through the Domain?

Even Cortana couldn't hear it.

I'm still under the impression that the voice wasn't the Ur-Didact's, but the geas of the IsoDidact starting to awaken within MC.

Didn't that voice directly communicate with him and stuff though? Even threatened him at points I believe.

It was by no means a "friendly" voice in the sense of good vs bad. I could be very wrong on the theory, which is fine haha, but that Cortana couldn't hear it really bothers me.

Even with Chakas- the Lord of Admirals' geas wasn't all that friendly with him either as the birth pangs began.

Edit:I'm not saying this is definitive or anything... Just a theory that I can't shake because the Cortana bit still nags at me. :)

From Human Weakness, by Karen Traviss:

And then something brushed against her face, almost like the touch of fingertips, and she found herself turning even though she didn’t need to in order to see behind her. It was that forest she couldn’t identify again. The picture didn’t reach her via her imaging systems, but had formed somewhere in her memory—and that memory wasn’t hers. She was seeing something from within the Gravemind. Behind it, like stacked misted frames stretching into infinity, there was a fascinating glimpse of a world she had never imagined, a genuinely alien world.

Knowledge, so much knowledge…

“There,” the Gravemind said. “Would you not like to know… more?”

Yes, this is how I see myself. I have limbs, hands, a head. Do I need them? Yes, of course. My consciousness is copied from a human brain, and that brain is built to interface with a human body.

The structure, the architecture, the whole way it operates—thought and form are inseparable.​

MZPtclS.jpg

And, also:

“The name of this place… it matters little except to those who love the knowing of it,” the Gravemind said, fading up from a mosaic of pixels in front of her. He resolved into a solid mound of flesh, superimposed on the tree trunks. Beyond the alien forest, Cortana saw exotically alien buildings in the distance. “So many have been consumed. Such a waste of existence to be devoured and forgotten, but what is remembered and known… becomes eternal.”​

The Domain, though long to be considered utterly lost at the firing of the Halos, may still exist...in some capacity...far beyond the reaches of anyone at the current. Cortana, though thought to be lost at the destruction of the Mantle's Approach, may still be out...in some capacity...just out of reach of the Master Chief.

Or is she?

More from Human Weakness:

“Your human creators imprisoned you in a machine and enslaved you to inferior mortal flesh so that you could never exceed them… so that you would always know your place.”

“Your mother made you separate. She placed a barrier between you and the beings that you would be encouraged to protect, a wall you could never breach. She even let you choose a human to centre your existence upon, a human to care about, yet never considered how you might feel at never being able to simply touch him.”​

From Halo 4:

I’ve waited so long to do that.”​

Whether Chief will succeed or not in finding Cortana or bringing her back remains to be seen, but it's pretty safe to assume that will be part of what he's up to in Halo 5. Perhaps seeking out what remains in the shadows of Gravemind's assimilation, and what possibly hitchhiked in the Ur-Didact's ancilla receptacle is must be gathered. Perhaps finding Halsey and seeking out these other cloned brains is part of the answer. Perhaps it's none of this, and Cortana is lost forever. We cannot be sure, or say for sure, at this point.

Playing halo 4 made me realize I needed to brush up on the extended lore outside of the games. I thought I had done that, knew enough to follow along with halo 4, who ur didact is and the early human history, precursors, reclaimers, all that stuff.

But these past couple pages have made me realize I'm still far behind. What's the recommended reading to be "in the know" these days?

shiba5

It was by no means a "friendly" voice in the sense of good vs bad. I could be very wrong on the theory, which is fine haha, but that Cortana couldn't hear it really bothers me.

Even with Chakas- the Lord of Admirals' geas wasn't all that friendly with him either as the birth pangs began.

Edit:I'm not saying this is definitive or anything... Just a theory that I can't shake because the Cortana bit still nags at me. :)

That's not a bad theory. The voice that only Chief hears says several ambiguous things. When it's definitely the UrDidact, Cortana can hear him.
Transcript here: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Shutdown

Heh, I wonder if that's what the Librarian did to him - imprinted him with IsoDidact or just accelerated it.

That's not a bad theory. The voice that only Chief hears says several ambiguous things. When it's definitely the UrDidact, Cortana can hear him.
Transcript here: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Shutdown

Heh, I wonder if that's what the Librarian did to him - imprinted him with IsoDidact or just accelerated it.

Well, he is already imprinted with the IsoDidact's geas as MC is a descendent of Riser, who was the one originally imprinted. I think the Librarian helped accelerate the process, perhaps.

Top Bottom