• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
For some people, it's all or nothing. Not a particularly good attitude, IMO, but thems the breaks.

right, "the fans".

They nerfed sprint and made player base movement faster. Sounds like a budge to me.

they also reduced the effectiveness of certain weapons when scoped and changed the dmr scope to look more like traditional halo. some people just can't be pleased (look at MCC).

Hubble

Halo is basically Satan according to your expert analysis.

lol What a ridiculous comparison. Where you quoted me is just being honest. Halo should have had a tremendous impact at E3, and it was forgetful. This just shows you that excitement has generally waned for the franchise since 343. It's freakin Halo. You know how crazy people used to be for Halo at e3?

I don't know how many apologies came after MCC. I just wonder who your focused groups are and who you guys are listening to because it's not the fans.

343 are notorious for listening to "their fans" but not the Halo fans, especially Holmes.

It is quite amazing on how much feedback from Halo 4 was completely neglected.

rokkerkory

I really think 343 has just one more chance to really get things "right" for halo otherwise it's really downhill from here. I say this will lots of love for Halo.

After Halo 4 MP flop and the disaster of HMCC, this NEEDS to be right.

Warzone looks incredible however and I think MP will shine most here.

shinnn

Bring on news fans

SimilarFabulousCoyote.gif

lol What a ridiculous comparison. Where you quoted me is just being honest. Halo should have had a tremendous impact at E3, and it was forgetful. This just shows you that excitement has generally waned for the franchise since 343. It's freakin Halo. You know how crazy people were for Halo at e3?

343 are notorious for listening to "their fans" but not the Halo fans, especially Holmes.

If we all would agree to be completely honest I think we would all agree that 343 does a lot of things right and some things wrong. I'm on the "old grumbler" part of the argument, but I have to say that a lot of H5 is looking great. What is unfortunate is that the bad parts really sour the entire impression for me.
The art style is sleeker but too generic. Covenant stuff is a lot less "sacred alien style", prometheans aren't really forerunner, but more "generic space robot style". Covenant, Promethean and human military all look kind of samey. Like everything is made out of the same material, and all the architects graduated from the same class.

Also the physical scope while aiming is a blatant downgrade, imo. Sprint looks stupid(way too much flailing), and actually makes me feel less agile, like I'm trudging through the map.
Everything is also a bit too dark, like the game takes itself a bit too seriously. H5 seems less bleak than H4, though, so some good there.
Locke also seem a bit shoehorned in, but I have yet to play the actual campaign to be able to make any proper judgment. I might end up loving it.

Other than that, I think H5 is doing a lot of interesting stuff. I'm getting a pretty good vibe about the campaign, and it seems like it will be full of epic moments. I'm just gonna keep my expectations in check and try to enjoy it for what it is. At least I got to love many Halo games before this one.

They wanted to bring more players into the fold, not just satisfy the old guard, and they tilted too much towards accessibility and they ended up getting a lot of heat for it. So much so that they've spent a lot of time and effort reestablishing their competitive bonafides.

On that note, I've enjoyed watching episodes of The Sprint and seeing how the pro-team helps with developing the versus maps, but one thing I would have loved to see is the players on the other side of the spectrum - those new players, in testing, and how *their* feedback also plays into the game's systems.

There's no such thing as Halo fans as a monolithic entity that shares the same core set of design values. Some people love the ultra-competitive stuff, others for co-op, others for offline single player, and casual players in versus, BTB along with the more niche modes. 343 has to answer to *all* of them. Its one hell of a tightrope to walk, and no way to walk it that pleases everybody.

Madness

I would do terrible things to get ADS removed from the game...

Either way, I'm excited and I shouldn't be after the heartbreak that is MCC. But I am. Campaign looks to be a blast and is supposedly one of the largest and most comprehensive campaigns they've done, different routes, increased easter eggs.

Arena multi-player (useless ADS/maybe unlimited sprint notwithstanding) returns to equal starts, on map weapons, fighting for key control of map areas. Spectator mode, comprehensive changes to Forge, as well as free map packs mean it will have legs well into the hype for the next game.

RSB

Banned
I would do terrible things to get ADS removed from the game...

Either way, I'm excited and I shouldn't be after the heartbreak that is MCC. But I am. Campaign looks to be a blast and is supposedly one of the largest and most comprehensive campaigns they've done, different routes, increased easter eggs.

Arena multi-player (useless ADS/maybe unlimited sprint notwithstanding) returns to equal starts, on map weapons, fighting for key control of map areas. Spectator mode, comprehensive changes to Forge, as well as free map packs mean it will have legs well into the hype for the next game.
At this point, I'd be happy with the option to use classic scopes. Hopefully there's still time to add it before launch.

I can take or leave ADS, in my opinion it neither helps not hinders the experience but I think aprint has to be in. Playing MCC has confirmed this for me. Everything else I am very excited for and I think they are doing a great job.
Funny, it confirmed the opposite for me. The MCC has reminded me how much better Halo plays without sprint. So much more fluid and fun... Sprint became a solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place (slow base speed) A good (fast) base movement speed suits Halo much better than sprint. Run and gun > run or gun (especially in the case of Halo)

Some of the posts in here are reading like "back in my day everything used to be better". I don't understand if those people want halo to be exactly the same with every iteration or just have a real hate for anything 343i does.

I can take or leave ADS, in my opinion it neither helps not hinders the experience but I think aprint has to be in. Playing MCC has confirmed this for me. Everything else I am very excited for and I think they are doing a great job.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They nerfed sprint and made player base movement faster. Sounds like a budge to me.

Personally, I'd hate to lose sprint, but on your response and point, with thrusters combined with increased movement speed, wouldn't that negate the need to have sprint?

HokieJoe

H3 did look pretty bad though, even for its time, blocky character models, bad textures, sub-hd res, terrible aliasing.

It actually did look pretty bad IMO (except for the lighting/explosion effects- they were impressive). Reach looked quite a bit better and Halo 4 better still IMO. I think people conflate visual style with image quality sometimes so maybe that's the issue.

spootime

Some of the posts in here are reading like "back in my day everything used to be better". I don't understand if those people want halo to be exactly the same with every iteration or just have a real hate for anything 343i does.

This isn't a good defense whatsoever. You can bring new fans in while keeping core gameplay mechanics the same. To imply that you cant is absolutely ridiculous. CS and dota are two good examples of games that haven't changed their mechanics in over a decade and are more popular than they ever have been.

I'm not defending anything and the core mechanics are the same. Just with added abilities that you don't even have to use. My point is people who want halo to be exactly the same as it has always been.

spootime

I'm not defending anything and the core mechanics are the same. Just with added abilities that you don't even have to use. My point is people who want halo to be exactly the same as it has always been.

If the core mechanics were the same then people wouldnt be having these conversations. Sprint, thrusters, ground pound, and ADS are significant deviations from the halo formula.

I should clarify that I'm actually looking forward to halo 5, the beta was a ton of fun and I can definitely see myself sinking a decent amount of time into it. But I'm a very, very casual halo player. I think dismissing peoples legitimate complaints about deviations from the formula as "back in my day everything used to be better" is unfair.

lol What a ridiculous comparison. Where you quoted me is just being honest. Halo should have had a tremendous impact at E3, and it was forgetful. This just shows you that excitement has generally waned for the franchise since 343. It's freakin Halo. You know how crazy people were for Halo at e3?

Halo 4 was amazing. What was neglected? It felt like the most compete Halo game that had been released.

It's so jarring watching Halo videos and seeing ADS.
I didn't really mind it while playing, just not used to seeing it.

But damn do those Promethean weapons look pretty with ADS.

Madness

But that's not what they want at all. After Halo 5, we're going to have as many changed Halo games, as we had classic Halo games (CE/2/3) and Reach/H4/H5.

That said, aside from ADS/Sprint, they're giving us somewhat the principle behind classic Halo. Halo 5 plays much better as a base game than Reach or Halo 4.

If the core mechanics were the same then people wouldnt be having these conversations. Sprint, thrusters, ground pound, and ADS are significant deviations from the halo formula.

I should clarify that I'm actually looking forward to halo 5, the beta was a ton of fun and I can definitely see myself sinking a decent amount of time into it. But I'm a very, very casual halo player. I think dismissing peoples legitimate complaints about deviations from the formula as "back in my day everything used to be better" is unfair.

But that's not what they want at all. After Halo 5, we're going to have as many changed Halo games, as we had classic Halo games (CE/2/3) and Reach/H4/H5.

That said, aside from ADS/Sprint, they're giving us somewhat the principle behind classic Halo. Halo 5 plays much better as a base game than Reach or Halo 4.

I just get the feeling that there are people who would love a H1,2 or 3 clone than Halo 5. it maybe just me but to each their own i suppose.

some warzone gameplay if it hasn't been posted yet.

https://youtu.be/iZKWT2DkNs0?list=PLraFbwCoisJCre_lRQyLh0OEcTgZ2P22x

Glass

Maybe because I dabble with CS GO, but the skins and aesthetic potential is really exciting. Someone else mentioned Pro Team skins/colours, which I think's a great idea.

Another idea would be, just like Buck has this symbol on his shoulder, have something similar for each of the pro teams.
Halo-5-Guardians-Buck.jpg

The teams would use them in competition, and you could unlock it and wear it if you're a fan. It's also a way of making the pro teams and the competitive HCS side more visible across all of multiplayer. How many casual multiplayer people have never heard of some of the Halo pro teams? This time next year, it could be significantly higher.

So glad these Prometheans are stepping in as the bridge between Crawlers and BattleWagons

Yeah, soldiers look promising (they speak english too, cool stuff).

I just noticed it, but why do we have a hitmarker for hitting something as well as a red cross in the middle.. I wanted less hitmarkers and not more.

JB1981

Warzone looks great. Seems it's an iteration and evolution on Dominion from Halo 4. Really liked what I see so far.

mchiodo1

Neo Member
i found some pictures release on xbox wire in media assets, that were released yesterday showcasing what looks to be concept art for halo the fall of reach, I'm guessing they mean the new animated series that is going to be included with halo 5 guardians limited edition, don't know how to post pictures so ill post the link

http://news.xbox.com/media/?Keywords=halo

mchiodo1

Neo Member
theres also 2 min worth of b roll footage of halo 5 campaign on xbox wire under media assets seems to be from a direct feed, so best quality your going to get

Top Bottom