• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Gameplay Demo (E3 2015)

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man, just re-watched the campaign demo two more times, and possibly going to make it a third time. I'm damn excited to experience this game for myself. It's always been a bit of a dream to really experience what it's like to truly command a team in Halo, and not just have the game pretty much fake it for you in all previous Halo titles.

I love that the more time 343i gets with this franchise the more they seem to be extracting the better parts of the extended fiction and incorporating it all into the games. I saw it mentioned in here already, but this is pretty much how the Chief started out. He was always a member of a team of Spartans. The games have just made us so use to more or less seeing him as a solo wrecking crew that people kind of lost track of that.

Really? I honestly just didnt feel it. Music was off, the demo they showed was kinda boring. Didnt see much happening. Should have at lwast ended with a crazy badass Halo style trailer with epic music

Really? I honestly just didnt feel it. Music was off, the demo they showed was kinda boring. Didnt see much happening. Should have at lwast ended with a crazy badass Halo style trailer with epic music

Well, it was mostly a small tease. They did a lot of what was done for the purpose of an E3 demo, but the potential and possibilities in what was shown was pretty obvious. Sure there were scripted segments, but I don't have a problem with that because there will also be plenty of game to be played and where the new squad based mechanics can be explored more fully. I personally enjoy a nice scripted segment every now and then. I think it's great for immersion and helps with the telling of the story and further convincing me that I'm there and experiencing it all. I know we're playing a game, but I don't want literally everything left to my imagination as to how crazy shit is getting, you know? I appreciate a nice scripted segment here and there to fill in the gaps and spaces between combat.

We also have the description of Master Chief's side of the campaign from Gameinformer still. There's so much more to the game and 343i has so far given me more than enough confidence that what they say will be in the game, will definitely be there. I felt they delivered on some of their biggest claims for Halo 4 regarding the story and how they were going to handle the character development between the Chief and Cortana.

Remember also that they did a similar thing with Halo 4's first opening campaign level. It was changed up quite a bit in the final game. I fully expect something similar to occur with regards to this game, but we also need to keep in mind that with squad based mechanics, there's any number of ways that we'll be able to play what we just witnessed. 343i just had to make it look more streamlined for the purpose of the demo. There's clearly so much more they didn't show, but I got the overall point they were trying to get across, and it makes me very excited. The only thing that bugged me about the entire demo was that I honestly didn't feel Locke's sprinting speed in that dangerous moment looked quite as fast as it needed to be. It came off a little slow I think.

But, yea, that all said, this was just done to give us a taste of both the new elements to the campaign, as well as tease us a little about the game's direction and story without revealing too much. Remember also in gameinformer that we were given further details on the various options at locke's disposal to complete a mission. This is just the tip of the iceberg fellas.

And for people that read the books, this is extremely exciting. They were on friggin Sanghelios with the arbiter finally looking to put an end to any and all uprisings and put a stop to things for good. He came ready for war, and is taking it to the last remnants of the Covenant with everything he's got. In the process of all this some ancient threat is emerging at exactly the same time. There's some exciting stuff in this trailer for people who know what to look for.

edit:: and if it wasn't already obvious: I loved Halo 4 to death. :)

fin

Man, those visor effects look awesome... I know it would be a definite no-go for MP, but for SP it has the potential to be incredibly immersive. I hope they keep it, or at least give us the option.

Yeah that "projecting the normals" effect looked really cool. It wasn't in the E3 trailer/demo though...I'm all for a HUD that actually seems like you're in a helmet.

Watched the Campaign footage now in very high Quality and damn they really have to work on the effects.
Especially the Explosions look so lowres.

GAF is interested in the games that do something new in the industry and take risks, not the work horses that keep it afloat.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. GAF has more PS4 owners (in a way mirroring the world), so I think PS4 games being more anticipated makes sense. But you can see the hype around FF7 remake (considering how not so good recent FF games have been I don't even know how people expect a FF7 remake to be as good).

Watched the Campaign footage now in very high Quality and damn they really have to work on the effects.
Especially the Explosions look so lowres.

Yeah I noticed that, excited for the massive enemy Frankie was teasing, but it'll be underwhelming if it goes out with an explosion like that. Anyone know if they'll be adding new assassination animations in, or are they all just copied from Halo 4?

link1201

Yeah I noticed that, excited for the massive enemy Frankie was teasing, but it'll be underwhelming if it goes out with an explosion like that. Anyone know if they'll be adding new assassination animations in, or are they all just copied from Halo 4?

I would expect they add more It is one of the things you can use req packs for.

malfcn

Watching the Sprint is crazy. The amount of collaboration and work is enormous. All the unexpected things that go wrong while building a game at this level is daunting. Having to kill 700 bugs sounds like a tall order.

Interesting to see that the Mantis is back. Does it actually have physics applied now? Always felt out of place that grenades and rockets didn't topple/shake at all in Halo 4.

Leyasu

Banned
I've been playing some Halo 4 recently due to all the Halo 5 hype...I'm having a lot of fun...they really fixed this game by removing the Ordinance. The game feels very smooth.

Agreed, the game is great. Still has promethean vision, jet packs and the boltshot. But overall, I enjoy it most on the MCC.

solis74

Before only available on the Halo Channel, now all 4 new episodes are on YouTube.
The Sprint details the games journey leading up to E3, crafting the 4 player demo which opened Microsofts press conference, and getting the multiplayer mode Warzone ready for the show floor.

Episode 1, All In: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ufrb5oCaFA
Episode 2, Osiris Unrated : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0JQGG1ClWE
Episode 3, Warzone Wednesday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcQu9FImlBg
Episode 4, Showtime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Zl_5JRmHY

Thanks to Glass :)

Top Bottom