• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

I think they should continue the E-sports and Warzone marketing. The only fuckups were 1. no party matching, people dont like getting slapped over and over, 2. no chill arena experiences, at launch it was either ranked or bye. If you give people a competitive but still casual/fun arena experience it greatly increases the chances of them getting into HCS stuff.

Warzone was decent but very very underdone. T H R E E maps at launch is a fucking travesty with only 2 modes (one being a stripped down version of the other). Not to mention everything was 100% static every.single.game. Until 4 months ago, as well as no at least semi-party matching. (groups of 1-4 match groups of 1-4, 4-8 to 4-8, 8-12 to 8-12).

Then you have things like servers sucking ass, awful maps, aiming sucking, cosmetics being RNGesus, worst BTB in the series, Forge post launch, no fileshare for 10 months, lack of LANs with shoddy pro league etc.

They just need to refine EVERYTHING and h6 could be solid.

I think they should continue the E-sports and Warzone marketing. The only fuckups were 1. no party matching, people dont like getting slapped over and over, 2. no chill arena experiences, at launch it was either ranked or bye. If you give people a competitive but still casual/fun arena experience it greatly increases the chances of them getting into HCS stuff.

Warzone was decent but very very underdone. T H R E E maps at launch is a fucking travesty with only 2 modes (one being a stripped down version of the other). Not to mention everything was 100% static every.single.game. Until 4 months ago, as well as no at least semi-party matching. (groups of 1-4 match groups of 1-4, 4-8 to 4-8, 8-12 to 8-12).

Then you have things like servers sucking ass, awful maps, aiming sucking, cosmetics being RNGesus, worst BTB in the series, Forge post launch, no fileshare for 10 months, lack of LANs with shoddy pro league etc.

They just need to refine EVERYTHING and h6 could be solid.

How about the gigantic hole of a classic 4v4 Halo experience, especially objective...hello asymmetrical maps and light vehicles? Classics like standoff, coag, burial mounds, high ground, zanzibar, valhalla, ivory tower, ascension, turf, relic, tempest, longshore. An entire segment of Halo left out to pasture. I'm so tired of essentially territories being the go to objective modes for 343, why can't Warzone has flags/bomb after one sided base unlocks with rounds? Why can't social/Arena have rounds and one sided OBJ with more than e-sports focused maps?

Literally 20 odd gamers in our Halo group don't play Halo due to this drift in development away from the above in the last couple of 343 developed Halo games. They don't and have never followed MLG/HCS and never will. They want fun competitive games, not hardcore e-sports with the same team and do anything to win with constant practice required to do well in a game. Flip the coin and WZ ensures you and a few mates have little influence over a game that takes 15mins+ to play through.

That's without even going into regional matchmaking issues.

I hear what you're saying and I truly hope they stick with the same engine/modes etc and bring it all at once at launch. Enough redeveloping everything and missing the mark or lack of resources to deliver more.

Bought Overwatch recently and I've been having a blast. 3v3 Elimination is really fun, but it's too bad there's only one map for it lol. One thing I must say though is THANK GOD there's no radar in this game. Tracer + no radar = L O V E

I've been bouncing between all characters depending on the situation, and I like 'em all. My most used atm are probably between:
  • Reaper
  • Soldier: 76
  • Tracer
  • Roadhog
  • Zenyatta
I've said this in the past even before trying Overwatch, but I think Halo could benefit from having heroes/loadout-based multiplayer modes in the form of Firefight Versus. One team chooses between various Spartans and ODST's, while the other chooses different factions of the Covenant/Prometheans, mixed with AI fodder like Marines or Grunts. A mode like this could help keep people invested in Halo outside of the more competitive modes.

And seeing as how 343 laid a solid foundation for gameplay in Halo 5, whether you're a fan of Spartan Abilities or Evolved settings, I think they should focus on QOL and UI improvements, as well as beefing up the feature set for Halo 6 with more maps, gametypes (one-sided objectives pliss), etc. For that reason I'm eager to find out more on where 343 is taking H6 and if they're going to build on top of what they set for Halo 5 while bringing the maps over, or if they're going to start new and launch with so few maps again.

I know it's unprecedented for a shooter to do this in today's console landscape, but looking at a game like Gears of War 4 I feel like there's little reason why The Coalition can't use that multiplayer as a standalone base to just keep adding maps to, even previous maps in the series. Gridlock has largely been the same and played the same since day 1, for example, so looking at Gears I feel like that game has solidified a place where fans of the multiplayer would enjoy building on top of what's currently available. At this point, how much evolution can you bring to Gears without it feeling too different?

So I feel like that's where we are with Halo 5. I know Frank mentioned something along the lines of not starting over with Halo 6, but we don't know to what extent that means. As usual, I'll be going into a new Halo game with minimal expectations (the safe bet for a veteran Halo fan lol), but my heart weeps at the potential for this.

12b648580d41f13bb3c7914c1f33ead2.png

$75 for the Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 Deluxe editions was absolutely too insane of a value to miss out on

$75 for the Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 Deluxe editions was absolutely too insane of a value to miss out on

Yeah im tempted to buy since i have 10$ of credit too.

I said fuck it and got it. Forgot they were the delix editions that run 70 each.

Got both for 65. Phew.. no more buying lmao

m23

I picked up tf2, $50 CAD is a steal these days.

Tf1 remains my top fps this gen just above Halo 5 so I hope I'm not too disappointed. The tf2 beta didn't give me a great impression.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I picked up tf2, $50 CAD is a steal these days.

Tf1 remains my top fps this gen just above Halo 5 so I hope I'm not too disappointed. The tf2 beta didn't give me a great impression.

I hated the tech test and haven't played retail mp yet but just beat the campaign and that alone was worth the purchase.

BizzyBum

Every time I try to play Team Arena I just get too tilted and end up sucking. This game is too damn competitive. lol

At least in Infinite Warfare I can queue up Team Deathmatch and not give a shit and just level up without a giant rank hanging over me.

daedalius

Bought Overwatch recently and I've been having a blast. 3v3 Elimination is really fun, but it's too bad there's only one map for it lol. One thing I must say though is THANK GOD there's no radar in this game. Tracer + no radar = L O V E

I've been bouncing between all characters depending on the situation, and I like 'em all. My most used atm are probably between:
  • Reaper
  • Soldier: 76
  • Tracer
  • Roadhog
  • Zenyatta
I've said this in the past even before trying Overwatch, but I think Halo could benefit from having heroes/loadout-based multiplayer modes in the form of Firefight Versus. One team chooses between various Spartans and ODST's, while the other chooses different factions of the Covenant/Prometheans, mixed with AI fodder like Marines or Grunts. A mode like this could help keep people invested in Halo outside of the more competitive modes.

And seeing as how 343 laid a solid foundation for gameplay in Halo 5, whether you're a fan of Spartan Abilities or Evolved settings, I think they should focus on QOL and UI improvements, as well as beefing up the feature set for Halo 6 with more maps, gametypes (one-sided objectives pliss), etc. For that reason I'm eager to find out more on where 343 is taking H6 and if they're going to build on top of what they set for Halo 5 while bringing the maps over, or if they're going to start new and launch with so few maps again.

I know it's unprecedented for a shooter to do this in today's console landscape, but looking at a game like Gears of War 4 I feel like there's little reason why The Coalition can't use that multiplayer as a standalone base to just keep adding maps to, even previous maps in the series. Gridlock has largely been the same and played the same since day 1, for example, so looking at Gears I feel like that game has solidified a place where fans of the multiplayer would enjoy building on top of what's currently available. At this point, how much evolution can you bring to Gears without it feeling too different?

So I feel like that's where we are with Halo 5. I know Frank mentioned something along the lines of not starting over with Halo 6, but we don't know to what extent that means. As usual, I'll be going into a new Halo game with minimal expectations (the safe bet for a veteran Halo fan lol), but my heart weeps at the potential for this.

Bleh no thanks

Overwatch is overrated

I feel that 343 just simply doesn't have any idea how to maintain/operate a modern online game. Multiplayer games today should take notes from how MMOs operate, do frequent content updates and refreshes, constantly giving players fresh ideas and things to play with, it doesn't have to be new maps, new guns, just like what has been said for a million times, Halo 5 needs more modes as a start, and I can't believe they spent resources on redesigning motherfucking BREAKOUT, instead of just going further with Assault, KotH, Oddball.

Trup1aya

I've been grinding ground vehicle kills for the company.

Got 65 in 2 games of Warzone. Learned some things:

1) Collision detection with the ghost is terrible. You could simultaneous hit two Spartans full speed, and one will die and the other will just get taken to no shields

2) i can save my tank from getting boarded and destroyed by switching to the gunner. Accidently did it, and the guy just kept trying to board me from the rear until one of my teammates killed him.

3) if one person will watch your back, a mantis can wreak absolute havok on the top floor of the fortress

Juan

I feel that 343 just simply doesn't have any idea how to maintain/operate a modern online game. Multiplayer games today should take notes from how MMOs operate, do frequent content updates and refreshes, constantly giving players fresh ideas and things to play with, it doesn't have to be new maps, new guns, just like what has been said for a million times, Halo 5 needs more modes as a start, and I can't believe they spent resources on redesigning motherfucking BREAKOUT, instead of just going further with Assault, KotH, Oddball.

I never had to complain about Halo 4's updates, neither DLCs or matchmaking updates. I remember it had some good variations over the time, and with 4 maps DLCs and the Ricochet with the Champion map pack, I always found something to get some fun, even before they adjusted the 5 shots BR.

With Halo 5, I don't know what is their matchmaking philosophy, but good damn it takes months before they change one thing or update the wrong thing, aka Breakout.

I know they want us to play Halo 5 the way it was intended to be played, but 343 should understand that Halo offers many possibilities and they should play with it to get more online update and provide players new activities as soon as possible.

I mean, why there is not a objectif playlist? As permanent Fiesta/Sniper playlist? What about updating the Action Shack? Do they really need to spend one/two months to stress-test and check every gametype/maps the community is creating with the Forge?

*spoiler*
They're going to get rid of it

Lol. I put back Halo 5 on my Xbox One since 5 months only for this playlist, which is damn fun, I was okay to, even, skip the MCC as long as they let the Anniversary playlist online.

I will drop Halo 5 as soon as they will drop this playlist.

Madness

You have to wonder why the playlist is so fun as well. It is basic Halo. And yet for some reason, with decent players it is better than any match I have had on H5. Is it psychological nostalgia or is that it is still quintessential Halo designed around maps we have played for years?

I wish it would stay around and also hope they are working on an H2 playlist with Halo 2 BR starts on. With customs games browser coming, I think these forge maps will be used a lot epescially because we would be able to turn off things like Sprint and whatnot and host games.

Everyone likes Tank World.
It really is just the most riveting gametype...

I discovered how to make Tank World enjoyable and I will share my secret with you.
The goal is not to win, but to not lose.

Someone on your team needs to be a decoy.
They get in a tank, drive out of the garage, and destroy 2-3 of your team's tanks.
They then drive away into the sunset as a sacrificial lamb.

Then you enter a remaining tank, drive it out just a foot or two, and have your team hide behind it.
For the rest of the game, watch as the enemy team suffers in frustration as they attempt to hunt you down.

For added flavor, attempt to drive a tank to the enemy's garage and hide behind their tank.

Karl2177

So they honored the Bing rewards codes finally and I got 19 Gold packs. Even after that and 2 more Golds from dismantling REQs, I still have 103 Gold packs to unlock everything. I like the REQ system in general, but when I unlock EVA Zhigang and EVA Leonov I just get disappointed. I don't think there's a single person in the world, including the artist, that could tell me the difference between those two off the top of their head.

NOKYARD

when I unlock EVA Zhigang and EVA Leonov I just get disappointed. I don't think there's a single person in the world, including the artist, that could tell me the difference between those two off the top of their head.
For the Leonov they removed the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Detective

Fuck this game and it's fucking Matchmaking shit.

Why the hell am I playing against a team in WZ? 3 fucking times in a row.

BS like this is why people are leaving this game. So annoying.

wwm0nkey

Wow thanks to Jojo at the Microsoft team for working on Thanksgiving and getting me all my REQ codes that were cancelled! Like I didn't expect that at all!

Trup1aya

Wow thanks to Jojo at the Microsoft team for working on Thanksgiving and getting me all my REQ codes that were cancelled! Like I didn't expect that at all!

They sent me the email telling me to respond if i still wanted my codes. I did, but i haven't gotten the codes yet

Madness

Population is probably biggest culprit. I wonder what kind of number H5 is pulling agaisnt BF1 and IW and Gears 4 etc.

ultimota

You have to wonder why the playlist is so fun as well. It is basic Halo. And yet for some reason, with decent players it is better than any match I have had on H5. Is it psychological nostalgia or is that it is still quintessential Halo designed around maps we have played for years?

I wish it would stay around and also hope they are working on an H2 playlist with Halo 2 BR starts on. With customs games browser coming, I think these forge maps will be used a lot epescially because we would be able to turn off things like Sprint and whatnot and host games.

for me its the combination of the well designed classic maps a great starting weapon combined with the smoothness of h5 and its abilities it just FEELS right.

i know they won't but i'd love for them to keep the playlist up then add some h2 forge maps with h2br to see if it also works

The maps are just that good IMO. Easy to play, tough to master. The H5 sandbox and netcode combined with the old maps is god tier. Can't wait for a H2 playlist.

daedalius

for me its the combination of the well designed classic maps a great starting weapon combined with the smoothness of h5 and its abilities it just FEELS right.

i know they won't but i'd love for them to keep the playlist up then add some h2 forge maps with h2br to see if it also works

CE playlist is pretty much all I want to play now.

I've said this in the past even before trying Overwatch, but I think Halo could benefit from having heroes/loadout-based multiplayer modes in the form of Firefight Versus. One team chooses between various Spartans and ODST's, while the other chooses different factions of the Covenant/Prometheans, mixed with AI fodder like Marines or Grunts. A mode like this could help keep people invested in Halo outside of the more competitive modes..
Bruh we already tried loadouts with H4 and it was terrible

I think they should stop taking chances on new modes like Breakout and bring back classic gametypes (asymmetrical) like you said.

ultimota

I think they should stop taking chances on new modes like Breakout and bring back classic gametypes (asymmetrical) like you said.

i think there's room to both take risks with new things AND bringing back classic gamtypes

The maps are just that good IMO. Easy to play, tough to master. The H5 sandbox and netcode combined with the old maps is god tier. Can't wait for a H2 playlist.
Is it really a secret why the playlist is so good?

185px-Halo_1_pistol.png
185px-Halo_1_pistol.png
185px-Halo_1_pistol.png

• 2 men enter, the better man leaves, the lesser man is respawning - and that's Halo. Not the common 2 players enter, one thrusts/sprints away because of a 5sk Pistol with a unnecessarily poor 2x ADS.
  • A single player can be a force to reckon with.
  • No visual ranks and Join In Progress, so less serious in nature.
  • Teleporters.

Loadouts were core to H4's design and Breakout is just a small playlist. I'm talking about something that expands the Firefight side of Halo that is designed like Gears Judgment's OverRun mode. The reason I bring up Overwatch is because I think people like the idea of playing as a character, so you'd imagine a scenario where you can spawn as Jorge with his turret as a heavy class, Jun with his Sniper/Camo, Master Chief with his AR/Pistol/two 'nades/unlimited sprint, etc. while fighting against player-controlled Elites, Brutes, Hunters, etc. -- 4v4 mode, both sides have AI like the Covenant did in Reach's Firefight Versus.

You could imagine a scenario where they'd have ODST characters and could have a gametype where it's PvE with classic Firefight settings. But I've talked about this at length before, so I'll stop there lol.

One can hope, but I have this nagging feeling 343 is going to start over from square one again for Halo 6. Another new UI that is missing key things, deadlines mean certain legacy features again missing, etc.

they'll focus again on Warzone, leaving out gametypes and shit that should be there from the start

That's all warzone is these days, pretty much every game I play is against teams... the good thing is they aren't grinding for kill commendations so they attack the core.
Still not fun at all of course, I avoid the playlist these days.

Top Bottom