• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

Y'all remember this H5 rumor from 2013?
http://pastebin.com/qW6LVdFx

Reading it now, it seems like it might have been an accurate representation 343s plans:

Chief going rogue ended up being marketed heavily. fighting insurrectionists was hinted at via HTT.

The multiplayer split was pretty accurate- a Halo 2 styled Arena with static weapon spawns and no loadouts. And a larger Batllefield-ish mode w/ loadouts

Some of it seems a bit farfetched given what we actually got, but it does seem like a lot was cut from the game. Also MS cloud gaming tech (crackdown3) seems to be way behind schedule. We do have remnents of a hub-world approach in the non-combat missions..The guy could have been completely guessing, of course.

I was looking forward to a larger campaign, open worlds, exploration, and fighting against Insurrectionists. I want this rumored game.

Juan

You have to wonder why the playlist is so fun as well. It is basic Halo. And yet for some reason, with decent players it is better than any match I have had on H5. Is it psychological nostalgia or is that it is still quintessential Halo designed around maps we have played for years?

I wish it would stay around and also hope they are working on an H2 playlist with Halo 2 BR starts on. With customs games browser coming, I think these forge maps will be used a lot epescially because we would be able to turn off things like Sprint and whatnot and host games.

As for myself, 'cause I can't speak for everyone, it is really easy to say why this playlist if fun, compared to the rest of Halo 5 experience.

It is simply because of the CE' pistol.

Halo 5 has way less AIM assist than the precedent Halo games, and as you're starting with a 5 shots weapon, aka H5 magnum, in every playlist, it makes a frustrating experience for me because I need to be way more precise to get a kill, since the H5 magnum shoots way slower than it was in the beta. It takes more time to AIM, I need concentrate more than before to follow my target, at close and longe distance, and if I miss a shot, it usually ends with my opponent killing me, or getting away with the sprint.

Plus, the Thruster doesn't really help because the duel can be even more difficult to follow with it. That's why, still from my pov, I never enjoyed Halo 5 since launch, even in BTB with a BR start.

With the CE' pistol, even with less AIM assist than in Halo CE or other games, it's a 3 shots kill, with an incredible precision and bullet magnetism. With that, it takes way less time to kill a target and I don't have to be that much concentrate to win a duel. My opponent cannot really use his Thruster or Sprint, so the Spartan abilities aren't really a problem for myself.

Having to concentrate less makes a less frustrating experience, and on top of that, I know the layout for every maps in this playlist for more than 10 years now.

Just to give you an example, since the beginning of this week, I was 8 hours straight on my motorbike, each day and even today. Yesterday night, my hands were a nightmare, never had so much pain by moving my fingers on a controller. Well, even with this, I was able to get some kills, thanks to the rocket launcher and the CE' pistol, and even if I didn't win a game, it was still very fun.

Reading it now, it seems like it might have been an accurate representation 343s plans:

Chief going rogue ended up being marketed heavily. fighting insurrectionists was hinted at via HTT.

The multiplayer split was pretty accurate- a Halo 2 styled Arena with static weapon spawns and no loadouts. And a larger Batllefield-ish mode w/ loadouts

Some of it seems a bit farfetched given what we actually got, but it does seem like a lot was cut from the game. Also MS cloud gaming tech (crackdown3) seems to be way behind schedule. We do have remnents of a hub-world approach in the non-combat missions..The guy could have been completely guessing, of course.

I was looking forward to a larger campaign, open worlds, exploration, and fighting against Insurrectionists. I want this rumored game.

There's a lot of supporting stuff in the art book, actually. The Infinity was going to be an explorable persistent hub that you launched missions from, for one. I'd put money on either technical limitations or simply a longer-than-expected process of bringing the engine up to snuff lead in large part to the campaign we've got.

Trup1aya

There's a lot of supporting stuff in the art book, actually. The Infinity was going to be an explorable persistent hub that you launched missions from, for one. I'd put money on either technical limitations or simply a longer-than-expected process of bringing the engine up to snuff lead in large part to the campaign we've got.

I'd say you are right. Id be surprised if technical limitations didn't largely contribute to the disjointed campaign. It must be incredibly tough to leave a bunch of stuff in the cutting room floor and still try to have a coherent narrative.

Makes me wish they'd have taken a more reserved route with this game and just used it as an opportunity to update players on the state of the universe. They should have let the Created arc sit in the oven, while focusing on the Covenant civil war and the growing UNSC v colonists problems.

Fingers crossed for 6. :)

m23

Ha ha, yeah. I'm actually legit hyped for 6, since despite its other faults, 5 did an AMAZING job of setting up a super compelling status quo going forward. I just hope they've got the juice to deliver on it.

Scorpio/PC exclusive maybe Stinkles/Mancannon/Tashi?

It's going to be on xbone as well. So not sure how much juice they have to play with.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This has been bugging me since launch of firefight - am I the only one that finds landing shots through Jackie shields tough in this mode? I feel like no matter how clear my shots are that would easily be kills in campaign, they usually only register as shield hits. Could it be lag related? Makes them very frustrating to fight against in this mode

Fuchsdh

I just clicked the spawn Scorpion tank card and it never spawned me in. Me and 2 other dudes were stuck at that screen and it wouldn't let us spawn in at all.

Huh, haven't seen that issue since WZFF originally launched. Something about a bunch of people calling in vehicles would cause that.

The hub world stuff was definitely the plan at one point (although there's no indication that the hub was for Chief—makes far more sense that it was Fireteam Osiris, and the hub assets we've seen were for Infinity, not some random ship with Blue Team.) But given about how much they talked about gutting the engine and rebuilding things for a 60fps target I find it highly unlikely they were also going to go whole-hog on the cloud processing as well. The rest seems like nonsense piggybacking on the grain of truth to make it all sound plausible.

Trup1aya

Huh, haven't seen that issue since WZFF originally launched. Something about a bunch of people calling in vehicles would cause that.

The hub world stuff was definitely the plan at one point (although there's no indication that the hub was for Chief—makes far more sense that it was Fireteam Osiris, and the hub assets we've seen were for Infinity, not some random ship with Blue Team.) But given about how much they talked about gutting the engine and rebuilding things for a 60fps target I find it highly unlikely they were also going to go whole-hog on the cloud processing as well. The rest seems like nonsense piggybacking on the grain of truth to make it all sound plausible.

This isn't the only rumor that suggested MS studios wanted to push cloud computing though. The ntkrnl leaks also noted that it was supposed to feature heavily in Forza horizon.
The tech wasn't ready, and the having the single player campaign be online only after xb1's reveal would have been suicide.

I dunno, crackdown 3 looks impressive at 30fps, and i imagine that its open-destructible world is much more dense than anything halo would shoot for.

Like i said it could easily be tales from the ass, but it wouldn't surprise me if the vision for this type of thing was there at some point.

At this point im only playing because 1. Halo is the only MP shooter series I enjoy 2. So I can stream and 3. Wont suck ass if H3A comes out. H5 just isn't fun and it has SO many problems that are not being addressed.

jem0208

My problems are pretty much only the playlist management and teams of 4 matching solo queuers.

Yeah a no radar playlist would be nice but other than that everything else about the game is fucking awesome to me.

Madness

Cant wait to see what they can do with 6tf gpu.

Same but if it is anything like the PS4 Pro and the requirement for all games to be playable on all Xbox One consoles, I have a feeling we will get a Halo 6 developed for base Xbox One and only 'prettied' up for Scorpio as opposed to developing unhindered on Scorpio and paring down experience for Xbox One and Xbox One S.

Theorry

Is it me or is Firefight impossible with randoms?
Really dont like the spongy enemies btw. Just give lots of enemies with low health instead of this.

wwm0nkey

Hey guys I got every armor I wanted from Halo 5 and FINALLY got the damn Halo 2 BR, so I am going to be giving away 5 gold REQ codes here since you guys are pretty cool. If you used the rewards site please don't take the keys :)

Quote me

Juan

Hey guys I got every armor I wanted from Halo 5 and FINALLY got the damn Halo 2 BR, so I am going to be giving away 5 gold REQ codes here since you guys are pretty cool. If you used the rewards site please don't take the keys :)

Quote me

Got one, thanks!

Same but if it is anything like the PS4 Pro and the requirement for all games to be playable on all Xbox One consoles, I have a feeling we will get a Halo 6 developed for base Xbox One and only 'prettied' up for Scorpio as opposed to developing unhindered on Scorpio and paring down experience for Xbox One and Xbox One S.

Even if I would like to see Halo 6 taking advantage of all the computer calculation power given by the Scorpio, I'm pretty sure it will only be used to get a smoother 60fps and 4K rendering, since they won't take the risk to make their most successful franchise an Xbox Scorpio exclusive (even if I would really appreciate to get games using the whole potential from the Scorpio and exclusive to this console).

Theorry

Quote me

Thanks. Grabbed 2.

But they will have the problem for showing off what the scorpio can really do. Ms might push to dev scorpio first with xbox one as the min scaling requirement. Aka xbox one ver will be shit compared to scorpio.

mo60

Related to this post, just got the 1000G for TF2 with the "...Becomes the Master" achievement. Now that was a tough challenge!

Feeling like some Friday Night Halo tomorr... err... later tonight now. Anyone down?

Will be around later tonight trying to grind my way to SR 147.

mo60

Really dont like the spongy enemies btw. Just give lots of enemies with low health instead of this.

Nah. It's not impossible but sometimes on some days you will lose a lot of firefight matches. I have gone on really long win streaks at times in FF.

BizzyBum

It was hell the first month or so but now it's much easier to win since most people are used to the mode. Still get the occasional stinkers, though.

jelly

I think people underestimate what these consoles can do and what modern games actually push and what in reality is achievable, worth doing. Scorpio will do everything better but the framework for games really shouldn't be beyond Xbox One and stuff that can basically be toned down. Who knows what they classify as not base game changing, physics like destructibility, more complicated vistas. You could argue they wouldn't be doing a Kameo of Grunts to run over on Xbox One but easily done on Scorpio if it gets a CPU upgrade but is that game play they want to add. There is always Halo 7 being held back by that damn Scorpio! I don't think Xbox One will be getting that one.

daedalius

Where is that in the art book? I need to look it up!

Related to this post, just got the 1000G for TF2 with the "...Becomes the Master" achievement. Now that was a tough challenge!

tH6lONI.jpg

I'm J Cooper... no shit!

Theorry

Nah. It's not impossible but sometimes on some days you will lose a lot of firefight matches. I have gone on really long win streaks at times in FF.

It was hell the first month or so but now it's much easier to win since most people are used to the mode. Still get the occasional stinkers, though.

The matches feel very random. Some are easy and some are just impossible.
Alot of teammates dont take vehicles also for some weird reason.

+

+

I remember all the HUB world/open mission rumors vividly, and am still incredibly bummed that we didn't get that game. Part of me wonders if it would have been like ODST - playing as Osiris in the present, finding key locations and replaying a 'flashback' as the Master Chief until the two timelines converge.

Halo 5 has a solid gameplay to it, but its SP missions and story was incredibly underwhelming. It's virtually sucked me out of caring about the franchise story - given, a better effort should bring me right back in. Still..

But anyway, I am familiar with the rumors - but not with the evidence that supports them. I don't have the artbook.. could people fill me in with what else we know about the older versions of the game, and how it supports the open hub concepts?

Feeling like some Friday Night Halo tomorr... err... later tonight now. Anyone down?

I'll try to be on after 10 here, driving back from the fam

Fuchsdh

+

+

I remember all the HUB world/open mission rumors vividly, and am still incredibly bummed that we didn't get that game. Part of me wonders if it would have been like ODST - playing as Osiris in the present, finding key locations and replaying a 'flashback' as the Master Chief until the two timelines converge.

Halo 5 has a solid gameplay to it, but its SP missions and story was incredibly underwhelming. It's virtually sucked me out of caring about the franchise story - given, a better effort should bring me right back in. Still..

But anyway, I am familiar with the rumors - but not with the evidence that supports them. I don't have the artbook.. could people fill me in with what else we know about the older versions of the game, and how it supports the open hub concepts?

Stuff from sources like people's online portfolios shows that at least some of the hub world stuff got to prototyping and developing individual assets like doors and the like, for example: http://thepaulrichards.tumblr.com/post/131967318559/above-is-an-early-space-i-prototyped-with-the

There's more out there that my google-fu is failing to find at this point besides the usual concept art stuff.

Key element from the above example is that there's fast travel points built into the layout—it obviously wasn't just going to be a single "weapons-down" story segment like what we ended up getting in-game.

How many maps are there in Firefight? I am only playing 4 maps the whole time. But want that achievement.

7-8 I believe. Only need six for the achievement though.

psyfi

Banned
I have zero attachment to the Halo campaigns anymore. They can do whatever they want with it, but I'll probably play it once and then stick to PvP.

CE is the only campaign I've really enjoyed replaying in the past four years.

My problems are pretty much only the playlist management and teams of 4 matching solo queuers.

Yeah a no radar playlist would be nice but other than that everything else about the game is fucking awesome to me.

I'd add to those two that unacceptable frame rate dips have become a big ticket problem in BTB and the anniversary list. Something maybe sketch could address soon? Was acknowledged immediately by 343 then left to fester.

BizzyBum

I'm sick and tired of facing smurfs in Arena. They can't find games as Champs so they take delight and destroy Plat and Diamond players.

Top Bottom