• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Madness

20161126_190146.jpg

Seven hours later:

20161126_195722.jpg

FUCK

okay done

20161126_22290433.jpg

20161126_223005333.jpg

Looks great when finished. How heavy is it when done?

Trup1aya

Everything but the veto looks good to me. I'm not sure if I need my spartan to be front and center all the time, though.

Looks good, but veto makes MM take way too long. I can't believe there is no party up.

I used to love seeing ranks before matches, it was motivation to play better. My crew would go insane when we won a match above our weight class.

H5s silly matchmaking would probably make things more annoying than it was back in the day though

Someone posted this on twitter. Sorry if old. What you think? (Que that thing that happens in every Halogaf thread were we all take turns making our own lobby concepts)

https://twitter.com/FA_Veeg/status/802298012248592384

Hey that's my friend Veeg! Big fan of all the UI concepts he has done. Should check out th rest on his Twitter. He also streams a lot and deserves more viewers because he's really, really good at Halo and does a good job of communicating with his chat.

IHaveIce

Banned
So, I was interested after my last comment and it turns out there are a few humans who have actually beat the top time on the guantlet. Like 3 of them. Fastest I could find was Gamesager with a 20.6 sec time. The video for it is nuts. Dude has practically frame-perfect speed gains the whole time with basically perfect control.

So, after viewing the evidence, I will alter my statement to "only a select few humans" have times low enough to place higher, lol.

Look at the scoreboard.. Top place is G.Sager Gamesager.

HE set the previous record and beat it himself, on pc I am able to pull of 26 seconds, on xbox 30

TF2 is the Tits

Nowise10

I thought it was fake with just the photo, but seeing the video, I don't know why someone would ever put that much effort into something so small.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I've gotta be one of the older people here (32), but I've only gotten better at Halo over the years. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to keep up with Halo 5's steeper skill curve but I've managed to stay high platinum / low onyx most seasons I've played. My skill drops steeply if I don't play for a few months, though.

I'm 38 year old gold/platinum scrub. If I played more consistently I could be better too. Still love Halo though. Edit: Halo is definitely the hardest FPS to get back in the groove after time away imo.

Also that Mega Blocks vulture is sweet. I have to put together and paint my Halo Ground Command set. Still have some Halo Fleet Battles ships to paint too.

Edit: I looked at the Vulture on Amazon in Canada, $130, lol

Akai__

If that's real, then they surely had time to record the Voice Overs for Oddball, right? If not, at least add the already existing Voice Overs from previous Halo games, so that the gametype can oficially be supported. An Oddball skin would also be great.

Also, was there a reason we didn't get a CU this week?

jelly

Loved the Firefight voice choices in Halo Reach.

I hope they do better with Firefight. Reach was meaty but too easy, ODST was challenging. Halo 5 doesn't seem like it's own thing and brutal sponges. Hope 343 can innovate there and push something new and fun.

RyanW

If that's real, then they surely had time to record the Voice Overs for Oddball, right? If not, at least add the already existing Voice Overs from previous Halo games, so that the gametype can oficially be supported. An Oddball skin would also be great.

Also, was there a reason we didn't get a CU this week?

It was Thanksgiving so they were probably on a short break.

BizzyBum

Since reaching SR 145, there's definitely something 343 needs to fix for Halo 6 and that's endgame progression.

The game does have a ton of shit to unlock but once you reach this level the unlocking and progression comes to a halt.

jelly

Since reaching SR 145, there's definitely something 343 needs to fix for Halo 6 and that's endgame progression.

The game does have a ton of shit to unlock but once you reach this level the unlocking and progression comes to a halt.

SR145 then SR1 Mark 1 to SR145 Mark 1 to SR1 Mark 2 to the holy grail of Mark V. What you get, who knows but that would keep you busy.

Does any game have progression forever, what happens in Overwatch, Destiny etc.?

The devs adding new content, modes should be the main attraction. Raising the bar and unlocks even further is maybe too out of reach for other players even though they will unlikely reach SR145 but it has to look reachable and not intimidating.

FyreWulff

Halo lore geeks:

A random thought popped into my head. Is there any meta story about the Halo universe's use of cryo?

Sort of like how Star Trek used warp drive as a plot device, but then later they turned it into an actual story point with implications:
using warp basically fucks up space time and certain systems ban the use of it and the top speed can't be used near any inhabited planet
, has any fiction touched on the implications of cryo? Political figures preserving themselves into a further generation to keep their ideology alive? Use as a way to imprison someone? etc?

Or is it still just "yeah, cryo is just a handy plot pause button" ?

Halo lore geeks:

A random thought popped into my head. Is there any meta story about the Halo universe's use of cryo?

Sort of like how Star Trek used warp drive as a plot device, but then later they turned it into an actual story point with implications:
using warp basically fucks up space time and certain systems ban the use of it and the top speed can't be used near any inhabited planet
, has any fiction touched on the implications of cryo? Political figures preserving themselves into a further generation to keep their ideology alive? Use as a way to imprison someone? etc?

I think there is still a max age in the halo universe. I.E Even if your in cryo and don't age, you will still die after a certain number of years.

Although the whole forerunner cryo sort of nullifies that. (I.e Didact in halo 4 or what cortana tried to do to master chief at the end of halo 5)

Halo lore geeks:

Umm... I'm a little bit behind on the books, but I don't think they've really done anything with that. Human cryo is also kind of tough on the body, too; most people feel pretty shit coming out of a normal length sleep, I could see prolonged freezing being pretty harmful. Chief handled it, but, well, he's a Spartan II, they tank a lot of shit most people couldn't.

(And for the record, Forerunner stasis is more space magic than cryogenics).

belushy

Banned
Watching the Gears 4 MLG event... grand finals is:

EnvyUs versus Optic Gaming

(wanted to post since that is probably what the finals of these HCS season are gonna be)

BizzyBum

Watching the Gears 4 MLG event... grand finals is:

EnvyUs versus Optic Gaming

(wanted to post since that is probably what the finals of these HCS season are gonna be)

Yeah, was watching that. Gears eSports is super fun to watch. I just wish they played more modes then just Escalation.

mo60

Wouldn't it be easier to add the new voices into the game itself instead of player's unlocking the voices in a free req pack?

belushy

Banned
Wouldn't it be easier to add the new voices into the game itself instead of player's unlocking the voices in a free req pack?

Probably won't be free. Gamecheat said it was in a testing build of H5Forge I think. Most likely just free to on there to see if it works in the store. They tryna get their money

Paging ExWife for all this discussion about being the same level for months on end.

I haven't played as much, but going on I think week 8 at SR149.

SR145 then SR1 Mark 1 to SR145 Mark 1 to SR1 Mark 2 to the holy grail of Mark V. What you get, who knows but that would keep you busy.

Does any game have progression forever, what happens in Overwatch, Destiny etc.?

The devs adding new content, modes should be the main attraction. Raising the bar and unlocks even further is maybe too out of reach for other players even though they will unlikely reach SR145 but it has to look reachable and not intimidating.

Yeah, getting to 145 isn't the grindy part, lol.

SR 152 which is the final SR rank.
What he said ^^^

I know I'm late, but after playing in the CE playlist I feel that the lower TTK is amazing in Halo 5. Solves a lot of frustrations I usually have.

Trup1aya

I watched the Gears tournament feeling salty as hell. So much Org participation, so many story lines, actual So
International COMPETITION.

Why can't we have that?

Oh yeah, no LAN support and no mlg

😢

R aka Bon

I requested to join the EU Spartan company, although not sure if it's still active..hmm wish I knew the leaders GAF names so I could message them here, anyone got a clue?

Trup1aya

I requested to join the EU Spartan company, although not sure if it's still active..hmm wish I knew the leaders GAF names so I could message them here, anyone got a clue?

Youd be better off trying to join the main halogaf company.

Just send the request, and mention your Gaf name in the request. If our overlords deem you worthy, theyll get you in.

Madness

I watched the Gears tournament feeling salty as hell. So much Org participation, so many story lines, actual So
International COMPETITION.

Why can't we have that?

Oh yeah, no LAN support and no mlg

😢

Was an amazing event. The fans, the teams and orgs, the production quality. Gears is doing eSports right. Just look at the team skins they have already put out.

Next two events are held in London and Mexico before back to Columbus Ohio and then Paris and then finally Las Vegas next summer.

Edit: For an eSports scene that was nonexistent and barely had any support they had/have a lot of orgs and teams and willingness to be part of Gears and likewise the org support from the Coalition has been great.

AY8uSuM.jpg

Ht51rwp.jpg

Trup1aya

Was an amazing event. The fans, the teams and orgs, the production quality. Gears is doing eSports right. Just look at the team skins they have already put out.

Next two events are held in London and Mexico before back to Columbus Ohio and then Paris and then finally Las Vegas next summer.

AY8uSuM.jpg

Ht51rwp.jpg

Yes. Gears esports has demonstrated nearly flawless execution. They recognized early in development that LAN is a must. They recognized that the esports scene would require separate settings. Their professional circuit prioritizes live events. Most importantly, the up and coming teams have frequent opportunities to prove themselves against top competition.

I just wish 343 could look inside themselves and see that their online heavy approach with esl hasn't worked, and has resulted in minimal interest from orgs.

Yes. Gears esports has demonstrated nearly flawless execution. They recognized early in development that LAN is a must. They recognized that the esports scene would require separate settings. Their professional circuit prioritizes live events. Most importantly, the up and coming teams have frequent opportunities to prove themselves against top competition.

I just wish 343 could look inside themselves and see that their online heavy approach with esl hasn't worked, and has resulted in minimal interest from orgs.

Again, this all starts at the top. If the people at the top dont hire the right people, it trickles down and ultimately gets the result we got with halo.

They clearly hired the right people at the coalition.

Top Bottom