• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Req System Introduction (Text & Video Guide)

The Flash

Banned
JOhkYSj.png

To be fair you need energy to use these, so you don't get them THAT often, and even when you use them you can just get sniped off spawn and its gone until you gain all that energy back.

Its a rather balanced system.
Yeah, Honestly, I think we will just have to play to find out how it affects the system.

I'm just excited about the free maps.
Also, I'm not too worried about the RNG loot here as long as the system isn't broke.
It sounds a lot like the PvZ card system, and if that is what it is, then I think it will be fine.

Somnia

Very impressed with how 343 are handling this. REQ packs are actually an awesome way to do it and we get free maps.

I don't know if I'll actually spend money on anything, but I'll earn that shit playing!

Great video, need to see more like it. I always imagined Mister Chief not speaking and having a narrator talk for him like a storybook lol

Just to clarify...
If I find a helmet I want I can't just buy it, right?

I've got to buy a collection of random cards, and hope that it's included?

Bsigg12

Just to clarify...
If I find a helmet I want I can't just buy it, right?

I've got to buy a collection of random cards, and hope that it's included?

That's correct. You'll earn credits to purchase packs as well as packs outright just playing the game. There's a pack that contains just items around customization and aesthetics so if you want you could just keep buying that pack until you get it.

To be fair you need energy to use these, so you don't get them THAT often, and even when you use them you can just get sniped off spawn and its gone until you gain all that energy back.

gotchya. not that bad in that case.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This is a WELL THOUGHT OUT system. It allows for 343 to have a money sink of sorts to offset costs of free maps and whatnot, but it also makes playing the actual game have a trading card game factor to it -- I think cosmetic items could potentially be huge.

This is a WELL THOUGHT OUT system. It allows for 343 to have a money sink of sorts to offset costs of free maps and whatnot, but it also makes playing the actual game have a trading card game factor to it -- I think cosmetic items could potentially be huge.

It could be something really good.

Madness

look-skyward-b697966fb2374a6985169b20fa034684.png

Too douchey for my blood.

What? Come on. I wish I could put this as my gamer picture.

That backbreaker assassination looks solid too. Can't wait. I'm not even ashamed to admit I'll pay money to buy some of this if it's cool and fun.

"Reflex Enhancers"

Here we go again with perks in Halo. Oh well, with 24 players on the map it's not like one individual encounter is going to matter.

Yup. Hate that, particularly after how much 343i has driven their vision of pure, consistent starts.

Thankfully it's only limited to Warzone, and Arena has enough content such that I'll never have to even touch Warzone if it's too egregious an implementation, but it's still a bummer. Hopefully they see sense in removing it in the inevitable 6 month post-launch patch (not to say the game won't be fantastic come release).

Are you sure? Need Franky to verify, but these are listed under permanent req-cards, and I thought it had already been shown that permanent reqs didn't use up any energy - once the game starts, you just equip these for free and it will then be your respawn loadout.

RowdyReverb

Sounds like a fresh evolution of CoD's perk and kill streak reward system that was so popular

Great and informative video. Love how the random spartans come out and ask questions and the mister chief promptly shuts them the fuck up. They're definitely us.

Madness

"Secure your noise hole soldier"... I can see that being used in threads.

It's interesting they said more REQ packs 'in the 8 months to follow'. What's past the 8 months

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
It could be something really good.

I think it will be. Especially if they consistently add REQ items to it to keep the system ever-expanding.

Sounds like a fresh evolution of CoD's perk and kill streak reward system that was so popular

The difference is really in how this will balance everything. Arena is still purely competitive so Halo purists should be pleased (and they get the benefit of still earning REQ points hoping for cosmetic stuff) while people in Warzone can use the awesome single-use stuff they get, but there is even a balance around that through energy.

Are you sure? Need Franky to verify, but these are listed under permanent req-cards, and I thought it had already been shown that permanent reqs didn't use up any energy - once the game starts, you just equip these for free and it will then be your respawn loadout.

I migjt be wrong here but Permanent means its permanently in your req list so when you go to the req booth it will always be an option once you have enough in game points (which you earn by getting kills and killing bosses). Once you use those points you have to earn them again.

The non permanent ones show up in your req system but disappear after they are used once.

If you played Titanfall think of permanent cards as burn cards you can use unlimited times. The caveat here and what makes it fair is cards require experience points to use. I think there will probably be a few permanent in the launch packs to get you going.

Honestly it sounds like a super addicting system for people that want to earn these things.

Yup. Hate that, particularly after how much 343i has driven their vision of pure, consistent starts.

Thankfully it's only limited to Warzone, and Arena has enough content such that I'll never have to even touch Warzone if it's too egregious an implementation, but it's still a bummer. Hopefully they see sense in removing it in the inevitable 6 month post-launch patch (not to say the game won't be fantastic come release).

Eh, if they're just one time juicers it's whatever. Persistente perks are what I'm not keen on.

VinFTW

100% sure friend. Everything requires energy. Permanent just means when you open up your REQ station and see your energy use options/items it will always be an option once you obtain the card once. Non permanent means you need that card to use it each time as they are essentially burned when you use it.

100% sure friend. Everything requires energy. Permanent just means when you open up your REQ station and see your energy use options/items it will always be an option. Non permanent means you need that card to use it each time.

Weird that they call them loadout weapons then. But in the video games you do have to use energy for them, so yea seems you are right.

I also mentioned this before, but I wonder if rare weapon drop rates for power weapons are higher since theyre single use.

Bessy67

This seems pretty good. I'm a sucker for RNG rewards; they were part of the reason I played Mass Effect multiplayer for so long.

Yeah but those are just for basic guns like the rifles and pistols.

If you want to start with a BR and someone else doesn't, why does it matter in war zone?

Trup1aya

I'm really digging the sound of this system. I get the skepticism, but they really have covered all there bases...

this Req system will cater to the Progression System/ RNG whore's in all of us, without fucking up the balance of the Halo Arena. And that's no to say Warzone is unbalanced...it's just unpredictable... The energy system, is a great way to make sure that even the most micro transaction happy players really don't have a moment-to-moment advantage.

the best thing about it is you earn stuff even when you aren't playing Warzone. So if you are planning to spend most of your time in Arena (like me), when you do decide to jump into Warzone, you'll likely have a lot at your disposal.

Monocle

Part of me despises this, but as a human being, I'm as susceptible to collection addiction as the next guy.

POINTLESS STUFF, I WANTS IT I NEEDS IT

Can't wait to pimp my Spartan.

This was a good explanation for people who didnt understand the REQ system. It sounds so amazing. I will be double dipping in both Arena and Warzone.

Smart roll-out (video and text and tackling the big questions) for what seems like a well thought out system, or at least the most thoughtful of these systems I've seen to date.

I'd be all for it unreservedly if there was no game-changing stuff tied to real world purchases, but what I've watched and read has me cautiously optimistic.

Vire

It's like a video made to convince you why it's tolerable rather than why you want it.

At the very least, Arena remains untouched by pay to win.

Bessy67

I just know I'm going to be too scared to actually use my single-use cards. I'll probably end up hoarding them because I'll be afraid that I'll die right after spawning with some legendary weapon.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's like a video made to convince you why it's tolerable rather than why you want it.

At the very least, Arena remains untouched by pay to win.

The system is actually really enjoyable and addictive, and this from someone who can't deal with RPG grind at all.

Caveat: I have a tiny conflict of interest.

Top Bottom