• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 sales in the UK [Excludes digital sales]

diamount

Banned
To be fair to Halo 5, it was £45 pre-launch over here, so at least it was comparable to a lot of retail places. You could easily get it cheaper on disc if you looked though.

Still, if there was price parity then the digital numbers would obviously be bigger but I retail is still going to be dominate regardless.

nib95

Banned
I'd seriously state that a release week would have a larger digital split due to pre-loading, where's deals/sales and declining price pull more people towards the stores later in the games life.

Lol. A huge swath of people who bought etail were playing the game early, as in a few days early. Preloading is not nearly as enticing a prospect as playing the game a day or more early. Especially when the etail cost of the retail game is cheaper in the first place!

GhaleonEB

I think it's clear that Halo 4 and the MCC did damage to the franchise that the Halo 5 beta was not able to repair in the run up to launch. From here it's down to word of mouth, but I do wonder if the Halo brand was damaged long term.

BokehKing

Banned
Microsoft had to know this was a possibility, which makes me wonder even more how they could simply let go of the COD marketing deal like that

Interfectum

3.) Halo hasn't been seen as a seminal franchise for a while. Halo 5's reception seems better than Halo 4's, but since it's not seen as the game from which other shooters derive, it's harder to generate an astronomically high attach rate result like Halo traditionally has. Instead, it's now simply another high quality shooter you can buy from all the other good options this Fall.

Yeah I definitely see this. Halo used to be almost a holiday / sick day taking event. Now it's just another good shooter in a sea of shooters. It'll sell great but it's not some kind of tent pole release for gaming that it used to be.

Easy Breezy

Neo Member
Not surprised given the negative reaction to 4 (in my circle of friends/friends of friends) and the slap in the face that was MCC. Both games have done damage to the brand imo.

AP90

I would say the main issues the game faces would be as follows.

1.) Obviously the position of the Xbox One lowers the amount of sales it can possibly have, so that's an initial headwind.

2.) However, I think the bigger issue is how much the market has changed since 2012. First party games in general are way less relevant as third parties have taken over through economies of scale. In the same ~1 month period, each of the three biggest third party publishers is releasing a major competitive online FPS with astronomical sales expectations. Black Ops 3 is 20+ million, Battlefront is 13+ million, and Rainbow Six is 7+ million, and they all have development, outreach, and promotional investment to match. To note, by development, I don't necessarily mean cost (though that can certainly apply), but also staff who have a good feel for openings and trends the market. I'd view Rainbow Six as the shakiest of those, but they are trying to find an opening in the market by releasing a Counter-Strike like game on consoles.

3.) Halo hasn't been seen as a seminal franchise for a while. Halo 5's reception seems better than Halo 4's, but since it's not seen as the game from which other shooters derive, it's harder to generate an astronomically high attach rate result like Halo traditionally has. Instead, it's now simply another high quality shooter you can buy from all the other good options this Fall.

The bold above are my thoughts as well. Blackops 3 has the titanfall itch for PS owners and for the Xbox owners who never got a campaign and Battlefront has the force awakens momentum behind it as well.

3rd party is releasing a megaton of games that have tons of marketing and momentum all at once this holiday.

Trup1aya

All right, digital examples.

Witcher 3: 25% of total sales http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1116442 (Keep in mind this is a major PC franchise)
Ubisoft in 2014 on PS4/XB1: 10% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852745
EA in 2014 on PS4/XB1: 10-15% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860335
EA 2015 with Battlefield Hardline PS4/XB1 (similar game to Halo): 20% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041340

I've talked to people in the industry who have said week one can be a bit higher (30% being quite generous, as that's usually only a day 1 type of figure), but not much higher.

Thanks for those numbers... Are those Global or UK? I'd really like to see how Halo did digitally...

It's has all the makings of being a game that is at the higher end of the spectrum when it comes to digital sales... So many people wanting to play it on day one. And so many banking on its MP component lasting longer than its resale value.

20% digital would put UK launch numbers at 187,000
30% digital would put it at over 214,000

I'd say anywhere in between there is healthy for this franchise... It never had the hype of halo's 2 and 3, nor did it have the benefit of a massive installed base that H4 enjoyed. So I don't find it being the lowest launching in franchise history alarming, since I think the numbers might still be fairly decent, especially considering the damage done to the brand.... If H6 launched with these numbers THEN I might be worried.

Of course, anything less that 20% would be worrying as well.

Yes, they made Destiny but that's not my point. MS would rather let Bungie go independent rather than have them develop anything other than Halo. Clearly The Coalition is being set up as a Gears-only studio, and likewise I doubt Turn 10 have the freedom to do anything but more Forza.

Boke1879

I think it's clear that Halo 4 and the MCC did damage to the franchise that the Halo 5 beta was not able to repair in the run up to launch. From here it's down to word of mouth, but I do wonder if the Halo brand was damaged long term.

I'm sure the Holidays will be kind to the game, but for how long? You have COD coming out in a few days which will no doubt take in a huge playerbase. I think long term Halo 5 has to worry about player retention.

GeeTeeCee

Witcher 3: 25% of total sales http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1116442 (Keep in mind this is a major PC franchise)
Ubisoft in 2014 on PS4/XB1: 10% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852745
EA in 2014 on PS4/XB1: 10-15% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860335
EA 2015 with Battlefield Hardline PS4/XB1 (similar game to Halo): 20% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041340

I've talked to people in the industry who have said week one can be a bit higher (30% being quite generous, as that's usually only a day 1 type of figure), but not much higher.

So these numbers are pretty much in line with what many posters were saying early (and repeatedly) in this thread, yet here we are 18 pages later. PSN and XBL digital sales in the UK and Europe aren't going to provide a major boost to sales numbers until the pricing can compete with physical retail.

Hasney

So many people wanting to play it on day one.

The thing with playing "Day 1" isn't that big of a deal though when most online retailers will get you the game earlier than that. I think Simply Games pulled the trick of getting a Tuesday release in peoples hands on Saturday for some again and most sites will get you the game at least Monday.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So these numbers are pretty much in line with what many posters were saying early (and repeatedly) in this thread, yet here we are 18 pages later. PSN and XBL digital sales in the UK and Europe aren't going to provide a major boost to sales numbers until the pricing can compete with physical retail.

On this note I should mention the numbers are global, not UK specific, so yes it's possible we see geographic clustering as well.

BokehKing

Banned
I honestly thought they should of went after Battlefront, Star Wars mania will be huge this Christmas
That's the thing, they let both go to focus on Halo

And I understand, Phil has a FPS, why invest in one he does not own (basing off his comments in regards to SF5)

But still

erale

For my friends it's more that they're afraid that Halo 5 is like all the Halo games before, especially the Bungie games. They never like them, especially in multiplayer, and I can understand why. They still think Halo 5 is exactly like the Bungie Halo games and nothing has changed. After all it's another Halo game for them.

Hard to tell them that a lot has changed, which they would like.

KooopaKid

Banned

Thanks for the data. Some fans here totally live outside reality, even after data was provided.

Yes, they made Destiny but that's not my point. MS would rather let Bungie go independent rather than have them develop anything other than Halo. Clearly The Coalition is being set up as a Gears-only studio, and likewise I doubt Turn 10 have the freedom to do anything but more Forza.

Yes I see what your saying and that to me is my problem with Microsoft. The biggest studios turn out the same franchises and no trolling or bullshit, I find it very boring. It's like every E3 you can predict 25-50% of the show. I can't be content with that factory roll out style. I'd love it if they said to 343, new idea, new IP, backing and budget the same as Halo.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Do sales numbers really determine how you feel about the game? Because it certainly seems that way. I love Halo 5 and I couldn't care less if it sells a ton or not.

I mean, I've never owned an Xbox, let alone a Halo game, but if I had interest in a franchise, I'd hope for successful sales. But that's not to say that this game won't sell well in the long run, just perhaps not as good as previous installments.

I would say the main issues the game faces would be as follows.

1.) Obviously the position of the Xbox One lowers the amount of sales it can possibly have, so that's an initial headwind.

2.) However, I think the bigger issue is how much the market has changed since 2012. First party games in general are way less relevant as third parties have taken over through economies of scale. In the same ~1 month period, each of the three biggest third party publishers is releasing a major competitive online FPS with astronomical sales expectations. Black Ops 3 is 20+ million, Battlefront is 13+ million, and Rainbow Six is 7+ million, and they all have development, outreach, and promotional investment to match. To note, by development, I don't necessarily mean cost (though that can certainly apply), but also staff who have a good feel for openings and trends the market. I'd view Rainbow Six as the shakiest of those, but they are trying to find an opening in the market by releasing a Counter-Strike like game on consoles.

I completely agree with all 3 points, especially number 2. Even looking back at games that were top most active games played on PSN/XBL it's been awhile where you have seen a 1st/2nd party game sit at the top of that list.

I wouldn't be slightly surprised if COD/Battlefront sat at the of top PSN/XBL for months to come even with Halo or Uncharted being released. Third party games have such a huge impact more than they ever had it it clearly shows.

Though, I am sure Halo will still sell well overall but probably not as high MS is expecting. Maybe over the holidays cumulative sales will be good....

BokehKing

Banned
Yes I see what your saying and that to me is my problem with Microsoft. The biggest studios turn out the same franchises and no trolling or bullshit, I find it very boring. It's like every E3 you can predict 25-50% of the show. I can't be content with that factory roll out style. I'd love it if they said to 343, new idea, new IP, backing and budget the same as Halo.
The studio is called 343 though, that's like telling a studio called Cortana to make a new IP that has nothing to do with Halo

They should tell them to make a game like Destiny that only focused on the Halo Universe, well....they can't due to the way this story ended

Somnia

While the results are low for Halo, I would like to note that's a relative statement. 150K even without any digital sales would be a great debut for most things.

Isn't that what Destiny debuted at for XB1 in the UK also?

Sure sales are down compared to other Halo's (though with digital its probably close to 180-200k), but it's not bad at all infact it's a pretty good debut, just not as good as past Halo games.

In the end Halo 5 will still do something like 5-7 million LTD sales probably. Nothing to be disappointed with.

Erimriv

Halo needs an RPG, not neccesary has to be centered on the main story, take those ancient forerunnners stuck on path kethona and make them meet modern humans, tell the story of the new librarian, awake bornstellar... whatever... And it doesn't need to be an open world like The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4, 30hrs of gameplay, fixed ending. Tell a good story with no multiplayer.

They should contract Obsidian to do it.

I guess that's just a dream, my dream.

GhaleonEB

For my friends it's more that they're afraid that Halo 5 is like all the Halo games before, especially the Bungie games. They never like them, especially in multiplayer, and I can understand why. They still think Halo 5 is exactly like the Bungie Halo games and nothing has changed. After all it's another Halo game for them.

Hard to tell them that a lot has changed, which they would like.

I think the problem in aggregate is more that something changed in Halo that turned people off. I don't think Halo is attracting large numbers of people who didn't like it to begin with, or at least not large enough numbers of them to offset those who turned away from it post-Bungie.

lherre

Accurate
You have got to remember that all sales done that way are literally 1 sale per 2 people though. The digital/physical split is shafted because of that, in that sense. I wonder if enough people do that to actually make a large impact to that number?

All my friend list game share, so everyone must do! ;)

I'd also argue that most people who know about this also know about buying from foreign stores in the UK to make it cheaper which means it doesn't get included in the number above.

Thinking about it, there's so many variables which fuck up the number in the OP.

So we can establish that digital sales are 50% less because sharing ... right? :p

(I share almost all the xbox one library to be honest).

And I understand, Phil has a FPS, why invest in one he does not own (basing off his comments in regards to SF5)

But still

Given the hype for Force Awakens and it's been ten years since a Battlefront, massive anticipation there and I feel they missed out.

I think it's important to offer at least more than one series in each genre but offer something different within it. If you know what I mean. Why have just have Fable when you could of have had Mass Effect too? Or why just offer Killer Instinct when you could have Street Fighter aswell? It's about strengthening the portfolio. Don't like that fighting game? Well we have this one, don't like this RPG, what about this one?

Know what I mean?

nib95

Banned

This is pretty much in line with the UK Kantar WorldPanel report I posted earlier.

Personally I think that the sales number is still very good, it's perhaps just a bit lower than many may have expected for a mainline Halo title. It may very well have sold much better in the US.

The same was true of Assassin's Creed Syndicate, which also saw a big drop in sales compares to those typical of the franchise.

erale

I think the problem in aggregate is more that something changed in Halo that turned people off. I don't think Halo is attracting large numbers of people who didn't like it to begin with, or at least not large enough numbers of them to offset those who turned away from it post-Bungie.

It would be interesting to see if it would do betterr as a classic Bungie-Halo. To be honest I wouldn't have bought it. I like the changes the Halo franchise got while it still is a Halo game. Probably some people are afraid of changes, which I can't understand.

Also one friend of mine thinks Halo is a game for kids with no blood and gore and those "cute" looking aliens...

But maybe it's even simpler and the majority got bored on a series that's now in its fifth main installment. Maybe the Halo franchise needs more spinoffs to get some fresh air into the universe (Halo Wars 2!!!)?

A people really still clamoring for 3rd party marketing deals?

They make sense from a business perspective but they are utter garbage and they've gotten progressively worse.

MisterR

But still

That was certainly the spin given about it. Who knows what the truth of it was.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

We actually had a rather fascinating scenario this generation where the developers of the most influential shooter of the Xbox/PS2 era and the developers of the most influential shooter of of the 360/PS3 era both moved to new publishers to share their vision for the future.

While neither sold as much as the peak of their previous series out the gate, both found a whole a lot of success, which I think speaks to each studio's ability to find openings and foresee trends in the market, and help set the tone of the genre.

It can be hard to pick up that torch and keep going if you're not a developer who had this kind of market leading vision in the first place. However, it's certainly not impossible. Crystal Dynamics' reboot sold more copies of Tomb Raider than any entry before despite not being the original studio to make it, nor being a studio who was defining trends in the industry beforehand.

Trup1aya

Halo needs an RPG, not neccesary has to be centered on the main story, take those ancient forerunnners stuck on path kethona and make them meet modern humans, tell the story of the new librarian, awake bornstellar... whatever... And it doesn't need to be an open world like The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4, 30hrs of gameplay, fixed ending. Tell a good story with no multiplayer.

They should contract Obsidian to do it.

I guess that's just a dream, my dream.

No MP?

Can I get a hit of whatever you're smoking? Lol

But yeah I would like a Halo RPG. I was hoping the Ntkrnl open world Halo leak was true...

I say they let Halo 6 brew for 6 years, and do spinoffs and DLC until then.

Top Bottom