• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 sales in the UK [Excludes digital sales]

A people really still clamoring for 3rd party marketing deals?

They make sense from a business perspective but they are utter garbage and they've gotten progressively worse.

I guess for Microsoft it does, but for SE not so much. I think SE did a mistake with doing this deal and deciding to release it on the same day as Fallout 4.

But we'll see.

Edit: misread.

nib95

Banned
In all fairness, none of my friends buy from the UK store, so whatever split there is, we're not included in that number.

Which leads to my above point, everything in terms of the split is just not going to be accurate in this sense.

Thanks. Seems like my 'estimates' are wayyy out. I suppose when you have a circle of friends which majority go digital, it skews your perspective.

Statistics, never my strong point.

If your friends share, that's even less sales, because you're not each individually buying the game. On top of that, you buy from the US, so your sales aren't even accounted for in UK numbers and split in the first place! In other words, you and your specified friends have no impact on UK sales at all lol.

rrc1594

Halo needs an RPG, not neccesary has to be centered on the main story, take those ancient forerunnners stuck on path kethona and make them meet modern humans, tell the story of the new librarian, awake bornstellar... whatever... And it doesn't need to be an open world like The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4, 30hrs of gameplay, fixed ending. Tell a good story with no multiplayer.

They should contract Obsidian to do it.

I guess that's just a dream, my dream.

I like you

Chobel

Ill give you a LOL right back there dude.

You don't think that me and my friends who bought an Xbox One will have different purchasing intentions with certain games LOL? Halo is the kind of game for a lot of people that they will never trade in, can you say the same about Assassins Creed or Tomb Raider or Batman etc?

How about Destiny, Titanfall or BF: Hardline?

LifEndz

I think it's clear that Halo 4 and the MCC did damage to the franchise that the Halo 5 beta was not able to repair in the run up to launch. From here it's down to word of mouth, but I do wonder if the Halo brand was damaged long term.

Think they'll release another mainline Halo game on the Xbox 1?

Sephzilla

I think it's clear that Halo 4 and the MCC did damage to the franchise that the Halo 5 beta was not able to repair in the run up to launch. From here it's down to word of mouth, but I do wonder if the Halo brand was damaged long term.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying Halo 4 damaged the franchise, but simply halted growth. MCC however was a giant mortal wound to the franchise.

How about Destiny, Titanfall or BF: Hardline?

Destiny and Titanfall I would agree on, not so much Hardline.

Halo is a different beast to both Destiny and Titanfall as well, so I would imagine the digital sales of Halo 5 would be higher than that of Destiny and Titanfall.

Purely my own thinking though, don't have any hard data to back it up.

And I'm not in this thread trying to defend Halo, MS or 343, I am merely offering my personal opinion on the split of retail/digital.

Like I said in thread earlier on, Im sure we will all be back here tomorrow going round the houses once MS release some actual PR for Halo 5's release. Gonna be fun, eh :)

Interfectum

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying Halo 4 damaged the franchise, but simply halted growth. MCC however was a giant mortal wound to the franchise.

MCC was like "hey guys remember how awesome these games were back in the day? fuck you. Remember to buy Halo 5. :)"

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I lthought they were referencing some meme or inside-Gaf joke. I can't believe they're serious with that.

Maybe some are sarcastic, but I wager that many are serious. I just hope these people are not in serious research-intensive positions or academia.

Sephzilla

MCC was like "hey guys remember how awesome these games were back in the day? fuck you. Remember to buy Halo 5. :)"

What's the most frustrating part is that, when it works, Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer is basically the definitive Bungie Halo experience for me.

KooopaKid

Banned
Another factor (At least for me, and plenty of others mostly interested in the single player) is that Halo is no longer "magical". It went from a cool sci-fi adventure on a strange ring planet to a futuristic military shooter doing missions for the army. That's my perception.

DirtyLarry

Halo 4 and the MCC, especially the MCC, definitely did some damage to the franchise's overall reputation and we are seeing the results of that damage.
Gamers are a very unforgiving bunch. Once something happens to tarnish a game's reputation, it is going to be very hard for that game to fully revive itself, even a game that was once synonymous with the XBox brand.
Halo is just not the juggernaut it once was and all signs are pointing to it will never be again.

With that said, I do think if any game has a chance to redeem itself thanks to digital sales, this is the game that could do it. I might even go as far to say it will go over 30% in digital sales. I know history has proven otherwise, but I do think this is a game that lends itself to owning it digitally. I personally stay away from digital whenever I can, I am just old fashioned and like having that disk I can trade in or let a friend borrow, but I went digital with Halo 5 as it just made a lot of sense to do so. I can envision a scenario where other people felt the same.

I'm at work and don't have time to read through every post soooo....Where did these sales figures come from? Are they from an official MS source?

I didn't know of MS releasing any Halo5 sales numbers

LifEndz

Halo 4 and the MCC, especially the MCC, definitely did some damage to the franchise's overall reputation and we are seeing the results of that damage.
Gamers are a very unforgiving bunch. Once something happens to tarnish a game's reputation, it is going to be very hard for that game to fully revive itself, even a game that was once synonymous with the XBox brand.
Halo is just not the juggernaut it once was and all signs are pointing to it will never be again.

With that said, I do think if any game has a chance to redeem itself thanks to digital sales, this is the game that could do it. I might even go as far to say it will go over 30% in digital sales. I know history has proven otherwise, but I do think this is a game that lends itself to owning it digitally. I personally stay away from digital whenever I can, I am just old fashioned and like having that disk I can trade in or let a friend borrow, but I went digital with Halo 5 as it just made a lot of sense to do so. I can envision a scenario where other people felt the same.

You don't think people would be more prone to buy the physical version after the issues MCC had? Just for the insurance of being able to trade it in if it's broken?

Ricky_R

Wait, digital sales went from this:

bb-lion-o.gif

To this:

giphy.gif

in one single thread?

If Reach sold that well how is it the only one not playable in 1080 right now?

because they wanted to do all numbered Halo's aka MC's story. after backlash they threw ODST in because it was easy to do since they already have Halo 3's engine up and running.

Reach is probably much harder to port.

Justinh

Forgive me for asking, but aren't data caps more common in the UK and the rest of Europe? I always imagined digital sales to be less in that part of the world, and I remember seeing posts that say retail is often cheaper than digital prices.

I guess it did okay considering how the Xbox One is doing outside the US. I just hope the online population stays healthy, seeing how as there are a couple of bigbig shooters coming out soon.

wapplew

Let's wait for MS official PR, this is just one region.
The game seems to have great reception, some even say best of the franchise, WOM might give it a long leg, maybe sales will pick up in the holiday season.

Coxy100

Banned

Unless 343 listen to all of the negatives of Halo 5 - in which case Halo 6 can come back with one hell of a bang. That's what they've got to do - not rush it and make it the best Halo yet. That can make it a juggernaut again...

Synth

Forgive me for asking, but aren't data caps more common in the UK and the rest of Europe? I always imagined digital sales to be less in that part of the world, and I remember seeing posts that say retail is often cheaper than digital prices.

I guess it did okay considering how the Xbox One is doing outside the US. I just hope the online population stays healthy, seeing how as there are a couple of bigbig shooters coming out soon.

For the UK at least, data caps seem to be far less of a consideration here than other places (including US+Canada), based purely on the amount of complaining I see for those regions online, versus what packages are typically offered here.

prwxv3

The game seems to have great reception, some even say best of the franchise, WOM might give it a long leg, maybe sales will pick up in the holiday season.

With the coming competition this holiday. It will be very hard.

I'd like to see what the MAUs are for this title.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Was that Ryan from IGN?

Megatron

So all npds are meaningless now and almost ever sales data we ever get?.

They are somewhat meaningfully as compared to other games released at the same time. But comparing it to games where digital wasn't an option or not nearly the option it is now is meaningless. I'm sure the npd for doom 5 will be complete shit compared to doom 1, that doesn't mean doom 5 is a failure, it means the landscape of gaming has changed.

Synth

I'm sure the npd for doom 5 will be complete shit compared to doom 1, that doesn't mean doom 5 is a failure, it means the landscape of gaming has changed.

Though, I get your point.. this may not be the best of examples (shareware).

Guymelef

You're in a UK sales thread with numbers, why should people wait to discuss MS official word including all regions?

Dunlop

Unless 343 listen to all of the negatives of Halo 5 - in which case Halo 6 can come back with one hell of a bang. That's what they've got to do - not rush it and make it the best Halo yet. That can make it a juggernaut again...

The ship has sailed for the Xb1 to be the console this generation that can have "juggernaut" sales. Assuming you mean in relation to multuplatform games or PS4 exclusives

leeh

I'm sure you would, since that's what suits your argument. However, there is no evidence that is the case.

Are you seriously continuing with this despite the evidence stacking up in front of you?

You're not even making any sense considering you could find the game cheaper at retail in the UK than you would have been able to digitally.

Lol. A huge swath of people who bought etail were playing the game early, as in a few days early. Preloading is not nearly as enticing a prospect as playing the game a day or more early. Especially when the etail cost of the retail game is cheaper in the first place!

Nirolak posted below me with evidence that it is slightly larger upon game release, yet you guys said this? It was a theory, it has been proved, but it's only slight. That's fair enough.

Refer to:

I've added a note to my post that I've talked to people in the industry who have said week one can be a bit higher, but not much higher.

That's why I mentioned 30% as a very optimistic end of my estimate.

----

It's accurate enough for an estimation.

How do you know? We have zero numbers on how many people do this, we literally have no clue how many people do this. It could be little enough to provide estimation, or it could be as high as 20% of all digital in the UK which would throw it off entirely. Whatever it is, we'll never know. Do digital sales even get tracked in US NPD?

----

If your friends share, that's even less sales, because you're not each individually buying the game. On top of that, you buy from the US, so your sales aren't even accounted for in UK numbers and split in the first place! In other words, you and your specified friends have no impact on UK sales at all lol.
I feel like a cheat and a bad human being.

Mivey

Isn't the digital to retail rate on console like 4:1? So instead of 150K it's probably closer to 750K, which makes it the most successful Halo launch in the UK.

Oh, wait, that's PC. Always get the two confused.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
People are underestimating digital sales, with game sharing a lot of people are buying games digitally as you can share the cost this way

But...

This was also what I was thinking.

EGM1966

They are somewhat meaningfully as compared to other games released at the same time. But comparing it to games where digital wasn't an option or not nearly the option it is now is meaningless. I'm sure the npd for doom 5 will be complete shit compared to doom 1, that doesn't mean doom 5 is a failure, it means the landscape of gaming has changed.
It's not meaningless let's drop the hyperbole. There are plenty of public statistics on physical/digital by region, splits for previous AAA titles and how things have been trending.

Physical, particularly for big AAA titles at launch, is by far biggest chunk of change and by applying range of likely splits digital we can estimate digital as well as total sales.

This thread is full of those statistics with links to the source.

High expectation for Halo 5 looks to be 30% with 15 to maybe 20% far more likely and at least 10% towards lower end.

From the physical sales we know that even being generous this is s low launch for a number Halo in UK.

Unless there is evidence the digital split was very atypical then I see no reason to believe that's the case.

In other mediums following problem releases tends to hurt next release and all the evidence I've seen days games are no different.

If Halo 5 is judged good enough it'll recover somewhat via legs and set up Halo 6 for a return to form.

I mean wait office number before we conclude halo is in decline or something like that, which many already did.

But these are accurate numbers for the UK?

We don't need official numbers to determine the decline in sales for this title compared to past titles in the Halo franchise.

LOL not this again. Replace 5 and 6 with 4 and 5 and we are back to where we were a year ago. :p

Just accept it wont be what it was. In sales or in gameplay.

Destiny and Titanfall I would agree on, not so much Hardline.

Halo is a different beast to both Destiny and Titanfall as well, so I would imagine the digital sales of Halo 5 would be higher than that of Destiny and Titanfall.

Purely my own thinking though, don't have any hard data to back it up.

And I'm not in this thread trying to defend Halo, MS or 343, I am merely offering my personal opinion on the split of retail/digital.

Like I said in thread earlier on, Im sure we will all be back here tomorrow going round the houses once MS release some actual PR for Halo 5's release. Gonna be fun, eh :)

Why? I don't get it. Destiny's whole premise seems perfect for digital. It has continual content keeping it (somewhat) fresh continually and a fun multiplayer mode. Not sure what would be different about halo that would give you the impression of it being preferred for digital versus these games. Due to the very nature of destiny, it requires more replayability, especially with halo split-screen gone.

Data caps are actually quite uncommon. All the major broadband providers tend to offer unlimited on all but their cheapest plans. As far as I'm aware, most of the mainland is generally pretty good with that too.

Capped broadband is really more a US and particularly Canadian problem, in my experience.

GhaleonEB

We actually had a rather fascinating scenario this generation where the developers of the most influential shooter of the Xbox/PS2 era and the developers of the most influential shooter of of the 360/PS3 era both moved to new publishers to share their vision for the future.

While neither sold as much as the peak of their previous series out the gate, both found a whole a lot of success, which I think speaks to each studio's ability to find openings and foresee trends in the market, and help set the tone of the genre.

It can be hard to pick up that torch and keep going if you're not a developer who had this kind of market leading vision in the first place. However, it's certainly not impossible. Crystal Dynamics' reboot sold more copies of Tomb Raider than any entry before despite not being the original studio to make it, nor being a studio who was defining trends in the industry beforehand.
Yeah, franchise hand-offs are perilous. I think Halo 4 was a hard transition for 343 as they had to pick up the torch of a major AAA franchise while building a studio from scratch along the way. It's a tall order, and the result was something that didn't have a clear vision. With Halo 5 343 had the studio and some experience, so I'm curious to see if sales have good legs; my hypothesis is Halo 5 is a down note for the series because of what preceeded it (Halo 4 and MCC), but it's not yet an indication of whether the game itself is resonating with players.

Astute observations about Infinity Ward and Bungie, there are interesting parallels there.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I mean wait office number before we conclude halo is in decline or something like that, which many already did.

would it really surprise you to find out Halo 5 sold less? When you take into account 4, MCC and the xbox one in general it shouldn't.

Halo has probably peaked as a series but it's still big (or big enough)

Nirolak posted below me with evidence that it is slightly larger upon game release, yet you guys said this? It was a theory, it has been proved, but it's only slight. That's fair enough.

Refer to:

----

How do you know? We have zero numbers on how many people do this, we literally have no clue how many people do this. It could be little enough to provide estimation, or it could be as high as 20% of all digital in the UK which would throw it off entirely. Whatever it is, we'll never know. Do digital sales even get tracked in US NPD?

----

I feel like a cheat and a bad human being.

Your continued meltdown has been the best thing in this thread so far.

Top Bottom