• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 sales in the UK [Excludes digital sales]

EGM1966

Forgive me for asking, but aren't data caps more common in the UK and the rest of Europe? I always imagined digital sales to be less in that part of the world, and I remember seeing posts that say retail is often cheaper than digital prices.

I guess it did okay considering how the Xbox One is doing outside the US. I just hope the online population stays healthy, seeing how as there are a couple of bigbig shooters coming out soon.
Data caps actually aren't that bad in UK from my experience.

The issue is more that buying physical is often much, much cheaper, selling and buying second hand is still pretty big and average broadband speeds aren't too hot in many areas for downloading a big game (but fine for playing them).

Thus physical remains very appealing on console. As with other markets PC is different and skews numbers to look higher overall.

We also don't mind getting off the sofa on occasion in UK to change the disk! You can grab a drink since you're already up.

Erimriv

No MP?

Can I get a hit of whatever you're smoking? Lol

But yeah I would like a Halo RPG. I was hoping the Ntkrnl open world Halo leak was true...

I say they let Halo 6 brew for 6 years, and do spinoffs and DLC until then.

I didn't mean they should get rid of the classic Halos and ditch multiplayer, just make a good (story focused) RPG to refresh the franchise and explore that great lore and universe in a game with more detail.

Ensemble is making Halo Wars 2 which is great (liked the first one very much) but a Mass Effect style RPG would be even greater.

AHA-Lambda

Only had a chance to quickly read through the thread now, so this is with more XB1's than 360's at a comparable timeframe?

That's really worrying, the drop from Halo 3 to 5 is fucking massive then :-s

Thought it was strange hadn't said anything bout the launch.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wait, digital sales went from this:

bb-lion-o.gif

To this:

giphy.gif

in one single thread?

That Halo Effect.

Miles X

Isn't UK userbase well over 1m?

That was a year ago, so probably closer to 1.5m?

Either way it's a tiny % of people picking Halo up compared to Gears and Halo on 360, those iterations got about 30% of the userbase at the time, Halo 5 is barely touching 15% even with digital (most liekly) 0_o

Elios83

Market has changed a lot.
There are many alternatives, Call of Duty has become the biggest fps on consoles.
Xbox One is struggling on the market and that alone hampers sales.
Halo 4 was negatively received by the fans, Master Chief Collection was a disaster, Halo 5 didn't get a really strong critical reception so even on the internet a hype wave that could spur sales failed to materialize.
All these things added together are the reasons behind this relatively weak debut.
The game still has strong sales but it has lost the status of 'event' it previously had, it's just a big release.

leeh

If you're intentionally joking/trolling, I hope you know that's frowned upon.

If you're serious... oh boy. I won't even touch that one.
I'm not trolling, initially I did think the digital sales split would be a lot higher, but I've never seen the previous split figures so I didn't know. I did think it would be around 50-60% for H5, but that's well off. I never thought it was at something ridiculous like 900% which my friend list chatter implied.

Now, I'm more so just discussing game sharing/foreign stores and how that impacts what the digital split would be.

Controversial posts helps a day where I haven't got much to do at work other than reply to a sea of green :)

Dinjooh

Forgive me for asking, but aren't data caps more common in the UK and the rest of Europe? I always imagined digital sales to be less in that part of the world, and I remember seeing posts that say retail is often cheaper than digital prices.

What? This is completely opposite to everything I know and read about on GAF.

I only have personal experience with Denmark, Sweden and Norway and in no way are data caps common at all in these areas, I highly doubt it to be common in most of Europe tbh.

Edit:

For the UK at least, data caps seem to be far less of a consideration here other places (including US+Canada), based purely on the amount of complaining I see for those regions online, versus what packages are typically offered here.

Yup, pretty much my thoughts.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
There are many alternatives, Call of Duty has become the biggest fps on consoles.
Halo 4 was negatively received by the fans, Master Chief Collection was a disaster, Halo 5 didn't get a really strong critical reception so even on the internet a hype wave that could spur sales failed to materialize.
All these things added together are the reasons behind this relatively weak debut.
The game still has strong sales but it has lost the status of 'event' it previously had, it's just a big release.

Yup, Destiny is one alternative. Titanfall is another. I know Destiny has been mentioned a few times in this thread.

What would be interesting is seeing Destiny sales when and after Halo 5 comes out.

Wasp

I was hoping Halo 5 would bomb in comparison to the other games so this is good news. 343 needed to be punished for fucking over splitscreen players, although I doubt that's the reason this is underperforming.

Wonder how it's selling in the States.

There hasn't been any PR from Microsoft has there? Which may be pretty telling.

Plus places like NewEgg already had it for $40 one day, and then $60 with a $20 gift card another day.

Dynasty8

Is it far to say that the Xbox One isn't as successful as the 360? I remember Microsoft being in Sony's position last gen...they had the cheaper console and the better console for multi-platform games (comparing the 360 to the PS3).

I'm expecting Halo 5 to hit somewhere between 5-6 million copies in the duration of the next few years.

viHuGi

Banned

Also fans hate 343 and want Bungie back.

Outrun

The schadenfreude is strong in this thread.

The ones that should be worried about Halo sales are MS and 343i.....

.... And they have better numbers than you or I....

Between threads like these, comparing Killzone's SP to Halo 5's, and those wondering when Halo's story is supposed to get "good", it is an interesting time to be on GAF.

Due to a variety of factors outside the control of 343i, they are placed at a disadvantage compared to Halo 4's sales.

Like the Jackson 5 said, I would blame it on the boogie at the moment, as everything else is pure conjecture.

Percy

Banned
I've been saying for the past year that Halo 5 would fall well short of it's most direct last gen parallel release (Halo 3), but even I didn't think it'd sell so little in comparison to the 360 title. Halo 4 must have burned a lot of fans, (which would fit with the infamously rapid abandonment of that game by it's online community).

Pretty undeniable that the series is in very real decline at this point I'd say.

Boke1879

Wonder how it's selling in the States.

There hasn't been any PR from Microsoft has there? Which may be pretty telling.

Plus places like NewEgg already had it for $40 one day, and then $60 with a $20 gift card another day.

Some have stated Halo 4 didn't get PR until after it's first week. So we'll say. IF they say anything it'll be interesting as to what they have to share.

bombshell

I'm not trolling, initially I did think the digital sales split would be a lot higher, but I've never seen the previous split figures so I didn't know. I did think it would be around 50-60% for H5, but that's well off. I never thought it was at something ridiculous like 900% which my friend list chatter implied.

Now, I'm more so just discussing game sharing/foreign stores and how that impacts what the digital split would be.

Controversial posts helps a day where I haven't got much to do at work other than reply to a sea of green :)

Your first post in this very long digital sales rambling of yours had this bit:

Your mad if you think digital isn't drastically outselling physical.

That you now say that you expected 50-60% digital share is quite some back-pedaling after you have been proven wrong.

Chobel

Isn't UK userbase well over 1m?

That was a year ago, so probably closer to 1.5m?

Either way it's a tiny % of people picking Halo up compared to Gears and Halo on 360, those iterations got about 30% of the userbase at the time, Halo 5 is barely touching 15% even with digital (most liekly) 0_o

XBO was higher than 1.5m in May. It should be close to 2 mil now.

I don't think Halo 4 was hated at all. A fractional subset of player maybe but by and large, no.

I think the CoD effect has taken over FPS and has the largest draw. The popularity of Destiny isn't helping either.

Think they'll release another mainline Halo game on the Xbox 1?

Yes, although depending on the timing of the next hardware release and assuming 343 are allowed 3 years to work on the next one again, it may well end up being cross-gen I suspect - or at the very least a simultaneous PC/Xbone launch.

Personally I think Halo, like God Of War, Far Cry and AssCreed, has had its day.
It used to be fresh and different but so many have outdone it. It's been outgunned by better ideas and better execution. You'd surely only get excited for it if you were a diehard fan.

But hey, that's just my BS opinion.

Let's wait for the NPD numbers and Leeh's 9 friends to set us straight.

LOL! What's funny is that your friends habits for buying games shouldn't change much no matter the title, so the attach rate of digital for Halo will be the same as the other AAA titles.

Not really. I bought Halo digital because it's fucking Halo lol. I'm never selling it so why get a physical copy.

BokehKing

Banned
I was hoping Halo 5 would bomb in comparison to the other games so this is good news. 343 needed to be punished for fucking over splitscreen players, although I doubt that's the reason this is underperforming.
Dude dev's are people too

Moze

Banned

I guess it did okay considering how the Xbox One is doing outside the US. I just hope the online population stays healthy, seeing how as there are a couple of bigbig shooters coming out soon.

Data caps aren't really a thing in the UK. They exist for some packages, but are very rare.

You're right about physical being much cheaper though. Physical games are always much cheaper than digital. I literally can not think of a single console game that was cheaper on XBL/PSN. It's usually a pretty big difference too (like £10+)

I got through the first three pages of this thread before realising that reason had flown out the window. I don't understand the mental gymnastics some people are pulling. The game didn't even sell badly.

I eagerly await the riots when Uncharted 4 outsells Halo 5 though.

Data caps aren't really a thing in the UK. They exist for some packages, but are very rare.

You're right about physical being much cheaper though. Physical games are always much cheaper than digital. I literally can not think of a single console game that was cheaper on XBL/PSN. It's usually a pretty big difference too (like £10+)

That's a lie, BT is the biggest provider and if you dont pay top dollar on fibre you get a 40gb data allowance a month.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Is it far to say that the Xbox One isn't as successful as the 360? I remember Microsoft being in Sony's position last gen...they had the cheaper console and the better console for multi-platform games (comparing the 360 to the PS3).

I'm expecting Halo 5 to hit somewhere between 5-6 million copies in the duration of the next few years.
Maybe in US not WW

Vinc

Personally I think Halo, like God Of War, Far Cry and AssCreed, has had its day.
It used to be fresh and different but so many have outdone it. It's been outgunned by better ideas and better execution. You'd surely only get excited for it if you were a diehard fan.

But hey, that's just my BS opinion.

Let's wait for the NPD numbers and Leeh's 9 friends to set us straight.

Can you name a series that's like Halo?

If anything I felt like Halo was the one moving closer to games like COD and Battlefield, not the other way around.

I got through the first three pages of this thread before realising that reason had flown out the window. I don't understand the mental gymnastics some people are pulling. The game didn't even sell badly.

Why would people riot when something is a given.

Why would people riot when something is a given.
I don't know. I won't be the one rioting. Don't ask me why crazy people do crazy things. But it'll happen.

Edit: there'll also be snarky heaps of salt filled "well obviously, but this means nothing because install bases", which is also stating the obvious but hundreds of people will saying it nonetheless.

Boke1879

Can you name a series that's like Halo?

If anything I felt like Halo was the one moving closer to games like COD and Battlefield, not the other way around.

Halo 3 was the height of the series imo. When COD become the blockbuster it did and the rise in interest in games like Battlefield I'm sure it took a part of the Halo player base.

In this day you have even more competition.

I hope Quantum Break sells more than Halo 5. That would be something to look forward to.

Halo 3 was the height of the series imo. When COD become the blockbuster it did and the rise in interest in games like Battlefield I'm sure it took a part of the Halo player base.

Real test for Halo is how well it maintains the user base. Halo 4 sold well but playerbase took nosedive after Cod and BF came out.

Vinc

It probably did yeah, which explains why Halo moved closer to those a bit. I do wish it doubled down on what makes it great though, differentiation is what keeps series alive. I feel like Halo 5, as opposed to Halo 4, does more to differentiate itself from COD than it does to get closer to it, though it doesn't look like it at first glance. I expected it to be even more COD-like until I played the full game.

wapplew

Just curious, is there any leader board or something that can show us an idea of the game sales overall? Like Forza?

This is what happens when you put out a mediocre product and then act like the fans are crazy for saying that you are not the correct devs for Halo.

GHG

Gold Member
Nirolak posted below me with evidence that it is slightly larger upon game release, yet you guys said this? It was a theory, it has been proved, but it's only slight. That's fair enough.

Refer to:

----

Can you show me exactly where your 'theory' has been proved? All I'm seeing is an estimate.

Desperate stuff.

Top Bottom