• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 sales in the UK [Excludes digital sales]

BokehKing

Banned
They catered to the hardcore

The world moved onto CODs battlefield, and Destiny, easier games to play. Insulting people for preferring those games won't change the situation.

When your main draw in MP is an insane learning curve and bragging about lack of aim assist (on a console no less) of course the casuals will turn away from the series.

It plays drastically different than all other FPS on the market
So yeah, you need the casuals on board to return halo to sales giant it once was. It's cateres to pro's though

If they put this series on PC, with keyboard and mouse support, it will do counter strike numbers

Big Dog

I hope that these reportedly low sales numbers only provide more reason as to why Microsoft must release Halo 5 on PC. As someone who doesn't have any interest in owning a current gen console, the only way for someone like me to play is bring the game to PC. Let's just hope they give up on Windows Live and put the damn game on Steam as well.

I will keep dreaming

DirtyLarry

You don't think people would be more prone to buy the physical version after the issues MCC had? Just for the insurance of being able to trade it in if it's broken?
That's actually a really good point and admittedly a perspective I (clearly) did not consider. That could be a factor, absolutely.

Unless 343 listen to all of the negatives of Halo 5 - in which case Halo 6 can come back with one hell of a bang. That's what they've got to do - not rush it and make it the best Halo yet. That can make it a juggernaut again...
I suppose nothing is impossible. That would be one hell of a resurrection.

leeh

Can you show me exactly where your 'theory' has been proved? All I'm seeing is an estimate.

Desperate stuff.

Post I'm referring to, info in bold:

All right, digital examples.

Witcher 3: 25% of total sales http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1116442 (Keep in mind this is a major PC franchise)
Ubisoft in 2014 on PS4/XB1: 10% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852745
EA in 2014 on PS4/XB1: 10-15% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860335
EA 2015 with Battlefield Hardline PS4/XB1 (similar game to Halo): 20% http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041340

I've talked to people in the industry who have said week one can be a bit higher (30% being quite generous, as that's usually only a day 1 type of figure), but not much higher.

Since he's an admin of the largest gaming forum, I'm in full trust of what he says regarding this and who he talks to.

Why do you keep saying I'm desperate?

I'm not desperate for anything other than to get home through rush hour traffic in this awful thick fog which makes everyone drive like they're learners, have a brew and watch the walking dead.

I have no reason to be desperate here. How about you saying I'm desperate is desperate?

Wait, digital sales went from this:

bb-lion-o.gif

To this:

giphy.gif

in one single thread?

lol

MisterR

I mean wait office number before we conclude halo is in decline or something like that, which many already did.

Well the thing is, the xbox only sells really well in two territories, the US and UK. If it's down significantly in the UK, that is not a good sign.

wapplew

It is still one of the best selling games out there. Just not the juggernaut it once was. No need to feel sad, Halo isn't going anywhere .

Luckily, MS own another bigger juggernaut if not biggest of them all, Minecraft the money printer.

The world moved onto CODs battlefield, and Destiny, easier games to play.

When your main draw in MP is an insane learning curve and bragging about lack of aim assist (on a console no less) of course the casuals will turn away from the series.

So yeah, you need the casuals on board to return halo to sales giant it once was. It's cateres to pro's though

When you cater to casuals you can lose the hardcore, though. I think 343i made the right decision. If the game manages to have legs because of this decision, maybe good word of mouth and a solid recovery from the MCC issues helps things leading up to Halo 6. Also, Warzone is a strong play at casuals, so that mode helps in attracting that group of players for sure.

Sorc3r3r

Real test for Halo is how well it maintains the user base. Halo 4 sold well but playerbase took nosedive after Cod and BF came out.

I agree, i think it's too early to judge even with this data, we have to see if it can get a solid fan base and "resists" to cod and swb or if like halo4 it's community will vanish fast.

If the 343 game will be able to stay relevant online, halo5 may enjoy steady sales along years, instead i think will be fair to conclude tha halo is not what it used to be, in the uk but more importantly the test ground will be the states.

Time will tell.

TheOddOne

The world moved onto CODs battlefield, and Destiny, easier games to play. Insulting people for preferring those games won't change the situation.

If they put this series on PC, with keyboard and mouse support, it will do counter strike numbers
You keep saying COD, Battlefield or Destiny take no skill to master.

You're insulting everybody that ever played any game ever.

leeh

That is false. Unlimited data is affordable and available on non fibre plans.
Exactly.

As someone who used to work in an ISP, there's definately many cheap unlimited plans going around. Plusnet are currently doing free for 18 months. That's even for rural areas, you've obviously just got your BT line rental.

I'd avoid TalkTalk haha. SQL Injection in 2015? Laughable.

Boomshaw

Banned
Since Halo 2 I have bought every Halo game on launch day.

I have not purchased Halo 5.

After being stung horribly by the MCC, and playing the Beta, I'm going to wait until it is sub £25.

Sorry 343i, it just isn't the same anymore.

Im actually more hyped for Halo Reach BC than I am for Halo 5 lol

leeh

After being stung horribly by the MCC, and playing the Beta, I'm going to wait until it is sub £25.

I wouldn't let previous stigma hold you back, if your big into Halo, its seriously very good!

sam777

The multiplayer is the best it has ever been imo but it is your choice in the end.

Boke1879

I don't think that's the case AT ALL. Halo 3 was very easy to pick up and play yet took skill to master. You definitely knew who was a pro and put time into the game.

I think it's literally just a matter of people moving on and having other options.

Somnia

Considering they paid 2bn dollars for it, I'm not sure it's turning a profit for them quite yet.

I hope you know that's not exactly how they look at it as a company.

They also spent $2 billion of their overseas money that they can't (won't) bring to America due to Tax reasons. That $2 billion was (along with the other crazy billions) just sitting there being unable to be used for anything in America.

watership

I ave not purchased Halo 5.

Which is the reality of the hype, but Halo 5 is leaps and bounds a better game than Reach was. Especially the mutliplayer. That's the real story here, if Halo sales are down, it's a real shame, given how spectacular Halo 5 really is.

Boomshaw

Banned
The multiplayer is the best it has ever been imo but it is your choice in the end.

I think the Arena matches are a good idea for people who want to take it seriously and I like the sound of Warzone too.

But principles lol

Plus the story is getting so convoluted too. Honestly, I feel anything in the timeline after number 3 just ain't canon. 3 ended perfectly imo.

MisterR

Post I'm referring to, info in bold:

Since he's an admin of the largest gaming forum, I'm in full trust of what he says regarding this and who he talks to.

Why do you keep saying I'm desperate?

I'm not desperate for anything other than to get home through rush hour traffic in this awful thick fog which makes everyone drive like they're learners, have a brew and watch the walking dead.

I have no reason to be desperate here. How about you saying I'm desperate is desperate?

Someone saying that it can be very slightly higher, for maybe launch day at like 30% of sales, is a far cry from proving your theory correct.

Synth

You keep saying COD, Battlefield or Destiny take no skill to master.

You're insulting everybody that ever played any game ever.

Something being easier to play isn't the same as requiring no skill to master. I don't see how that's insulting anyone. Being easy to play is a GOOD trait, so long as there's sufficient scope for mastery still.

Street Fighter 4 is easier to play Mortal Kombat 1 for example, but that doesn't mean MK1 takes more skill to master.

TheOddOne

Something being easier to play isn't the same as requiring no skill to master. I don't see how that's insulting anyone. Being easy to play is a GOOD trait, so long as there's sufficient scope for mastery still.

Street Fighter 4 is easier to play Mortal Kombat 1 for example, but that doesn't mean MK1 takes more skill to master.
Yes, I agree.

However, there is always some form of adjustment. You’re not going to be best, for most part, at games like LoL, Street Fighter or Heartstone straight out of the gate. Yes, you might get some pretty decent kills at first, but it still going to be a learning curve up to master the fundamentals to your advantage. That learning process happened with every game for me, like the jump from Halo 3 to Reach multiplayer meant I had to unlearn certain mechanics and get acquainted with the new introduced mechanics.

SaucyJack

That is false. Unlimited data is affordable and available on non fibre plans.

Indeed. There's increasingly good deals on fibre too, especially when combined with phone or TV services.

You can get BT fibre for £12.50/month on top of your line rental, unlimited.

Fat4all

Banned
I believe it was hinted at?

But if the hype for it has dwindled on consoles I can't imagine there will be a much better reception on PC

I feel like Halo V would sell very well on PC, and would probably keep its community for a long time.

Moze

Banned
I never said it wasn't available or cheaply so, rather data limits are not rare if the biggest provider on their base fibre tarrif has a data cap.

All providers have plans with data caps. Nobody ever goes for them because it is pointless when unlimited plans are only a few £ more a month.

And you literally did say unlimited plans are not affordable in the UK.

Agreed. It's amazing the amount of people that use this to try to dismiss complaints. The aim assist is truly not much different than other Halo games, your head still has a freaking bullet magnet anyway. It's not hard to land headshots, it's annoying because of the aim acceleration.

On topic, i wasn't expecting this Halo to break sales records after Halo 4 and MCC. Looking forward to see how well it did in the US.

Synth

Yes, I agree.

However, there is always some form of adjustment. You’re not going to be best, for most part, at games like LoL, Street Fighter or Heartstone straight out of the gate. Yes, you might get some pretty decent kills at first, but it still going to be a learning curve up to master the fundamentals to your advantage. That learning process happened with every game for me, like the jump from Halo 3 to Reach multiplayer meant I had to unlearn certain mechanics and get acquainted with the new introduced mechanics.

Yea, I don't disagree with any of that. I just thought it was strange that you seemed to translate "easier to play" in his post into "no skill to master". I'm not sure if that's due to previous posts he may have made however.

There's definitely an adjustment period to any game, even games in the same series... but if the game is easier to pick up in the first place, then that'll increase its chances of maintaining a playerbase. As much as we tend to go on about challenge and shit here, in general, being incompetent in a game sucks. People have to be enjoying a game in the first place in order to want to commit the time necessary to master it, and if they can't even begin to play it properly, then there's a good chance that they won't stick with it long enough to progress beyond that point. It's why I always find it silly when people complain about any optional features in a game that helps a player become competent. Too often people simply say that the players should simply "git gud"... and maybe they would, if you let them have some fun leading up to that point.

I'm getting a bit off-topic here now though, as I don't consider Halo very difficult to play either (although I would say more difficult than the aforementioned games).

I doubt there'll be huge demand for Halo 5 from PC gamers.

Every MS PC thread seems to suggest otherwise. Anything they do that isn't Halo is apparently worthless until they do Halo.

Seeing how the numbers don't include digital, I'm sure that if you were to include it, it would Match, if not narrowly miss the match the sales of retail... mainly because if there is one series Xbox has which everyone pretty much agrees benefits from digital, that would be Halo

Top Bottom