• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 6 won't be at E3 but 343 has a "little" something to show

jem0208

Ok this whole the shooting was trash in H5 is so overblown on GAF. Even at its worst the shooting was superior to destiny's.

A good portion probably didn't notice until they read, and they fixed months ago.

I'm pretty sure the main reason people like Destiny's shooting so much is because of the ridiculously high aim assist and bullet mag in the game. You feel amazing because it's so damn easy to shoot.

It's got some nice audiovisual feedback too.

How about a ODST type of game but with the Arbiter and the Swords of Sanghelios? I talked with Stinkles about that idea some time ago when we first met

shoreu

I'm pretty sure the main reason people like Destiny's shooting so much is because of the ridiculously high aim assist and bullet mag in the game. You feel amazing because it's so damn easy to shoot.

Being honest I enjoyed my time playing but the two don't compare when it comes down to the "feel" of playing halo is a smoother experience

Gator86

Ok this whole the shooting was trash in H5 is so overblown on GAF. Even at its worst the shooting was superior to destiny's.

A good portion probably didn't notice until they read, and they fixed months ago.

No, H5's aiming at at launch and through year 1, maybe, was among the worst out there. It was singlehandedly the reason I quit playing the MP. I've been playing fps games since the PS1 era, including mountains of genuinely mediocre titles over the years, and it was still bad enough to make me walk away entirely.

highrider

Banned
That all comes down to opinion, but I find Destiny PVP a lot more fun.

I wish I found anything even half as fun as Halo 5 multiplayer out right now, it's that much better than anything on console imo.

Speaking of the campaign: It was complete shit and no one cares about Locke. We want Chief, period.

Bullshit. I don't care about chief, in fact I think the story has run its course in its current iteration. I play Halo campaign for the excellent encounter design, replayability, and variety of vehicular combat and gunplay. Blue Team and Swords of Sanghelios are beautifully executed Halo levels by any metric, in fact the Warden is the only glaring misstep in the campaign.

How about aiming? The most important part of a shooter.

I mean it's less aim assist. I love it but it's not as easy as most stuff on consoles. It makes the multiplayer imo because it gives you a chance to reverse a disadvantage as opposed to first shot wins. It rewards placing your shots and discipline over bullet spam.

They were given a gold mine and can't even do that right. Imagine if 343 had to build their own fanbase?

Servicing an existing fanbase like Halo is a fucking nightmare. You will never make everyone happy, and you have the pressure of being arguably the face of Xbox. That shit would keep me up at night. They can't be Bungie, and they can barely be 343 with the expectations people have. When I look at the big picture of the Xbox brand this generation, I think they've done well considering.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
H5's aiming was significantly worse than H4's.

It's a console game, you need a good bit of aim assist like past Halo games, making it harder to shoot isn't a good thing. It just makes aiming more annoying and floaty.

Gator86

I wish I found anything even half as fun as Halo 5 multiplayer out right now, it's that much better than anything on console imo.

Bullshit. I don't care about chief, in fact I think the story has run its course in its current iteration. I play Halo campaign for the excellent encounter design, replayability, and variety of vehicular combat and gunplay. Blue Team and Swords of Sanghelios are beautifully executed Halo levels by any metric, in fact the Warden is the only glaring misstep in the campaign.

I mean it's less aim assist. I love it but it's not as easy as most stuff on consoles. It makes the multiplayer imo because it gives you a chance to reverse a disadvantage as opposed to first shot wins. It rewards placing your shots and discipline over bullet spam.

Servicing an existing fanbase like Halo is a fucking nightmare. You will never make everyone happy, and you have the pressure of being arguably the face of Xbox. That shit would keep me up at night. They can't be Bungie, and they can barely be 343 with the expectations people have. When I look at the big picture of the Xbox brand this generation, I think they've done well considering.

Killzone Shadowfall has zero aim assist and felt faaaaar better than H5 at launch. H5 aiming was really bad. Its been a bunch of patches now so it might be better, but last time I fired it up to play a couple rounds it still felt shitty.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

You say that like Halo 5 doesn't aim for you...

Halo 5's aim assists are even worse than Halo 2...

Killzone Shadowfall has zero aim assist and felt faaaaar better than H5 at launch. H5 aiming was really bad. Its been a bunch of patches now so it might be better, but last time I fired it up to play a couple rounds it still felt shitty.

Halo 5's aim is still awful today. It took 343 something like 18 months to admit to the heavy aim problem (hasn't been patched yet) which basically means the aim sensitivity is random. The exact same input will produce different movements of the reticle and thus the aim is unpredictable and feels like shit.

highrider

Banned

Hard to compare for me as Shadowfall is so much slower moving. I didn't play Halo 5 multiplayer until well after release but the campaign felt great.

You say that like Halo 5 doesn't aim for you...

Halo 5's aim assists are even worse than Halo 2...

Halo 5's aim is still awful today. It took 343 something like 18 months to admit to the heavy aim problem (hasn't been patched yet) which basically means the aim sensitivity is random. The exact same input will produce different movements of the reticle and thus the aim is unpredictable and feels like shit.

I think you are confusing aim assint with bullet magnetism

I'll take tight movement, shooting and controls over the unbalanced floaty shooter that destiny was

If you care at all about tight movement and aiming then it makes absolutely no sense for you to be complimenting Halo 5, because the aiming in that game is legitimately the worst of any console FPS I've ever played. It's broken to the point where people are trying and failing to fix it on their own with the Elite controller custom deadzones and sensitivity curves.

Jumeira

Banned
H5's aiming was significantly worse than H4's.

It's a console game, you need a good bit of aim assist like past Halo games, making it harder to shoot isn't a good thing. It just makes aiming more annoying and floaty.
I have no such issue, seems like the same as old Halo

Gator86

Hard to compare for me as Shadowfall is so much slower moving. I didn't play Halo 5 multiplayer until well after release but the campaign felt great.

Yeah, they're definitely different types of games, but both still rely on the same fundamentals. In Shadowfall, and every other shooter in existence, I can track a moving target no problem. In H5, good luck. This is a slight derail though unless they're announcing another patch with improved controls at E3.

I like how he's since defended that post by saying "at the time it was true". Haha yeah right.
I can see this being true, the ntkrnl leak made it seem it was quite recent, they didn't even had full details about other games when he leaked and the collection did felt rushed.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I think you are confusing aim assint with bullet magnetism

I said aim assists.

I didn't say sticky aim (the system that makes the reticle track players)

I didn't say Bullet magnetism.

The entire aim assistence system is the worst it has ever been in Halo.

Halo 5 virtually aims for you.

Up until they nerfed the sniper like a month ago you could straight miss shots and still get kills. It was hilarious.

So Halo 5 is in this awful position of having aim that feels like complete shit but also being pathetically easy.

Einchy

I have no such issue, seems like the same as old Halo
That's just not true.

They reduced the aim assist, now you might like this, but it doesn't mean it didn't change. A lot of people were happy about this but I was never a fan of it. It made aiming feel worse than past Halo games.

I still love the changes they did for Halo 5s gameplay but just not that one.
[edit]
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-5s-aiming-has-changed-dev-explains-how-and-wh/1100-6431851/

I think doing this was a mistake, the game felt better in the beta since it felt closer to past Halo games.

E92 M3

I can pick up any other console shooter and do alright within a half hour. It has nothing to do with aim assist. Halo 5 has a horrible aiming mechanism - it's rotten to the core. To be good at Halo 5, you have to only play Halo 5 for hours on end and not touch other games.

All previous Halo games (including Halo 4) had no issues with aiming.

And finally, Destiny doesn't aim for you. That's why there are people charging money for trial carries. Destiny feels great to play because Bungie actually know what they are doing.

343 promoted Quinn to lead designer - the man that almost killed Gears of War.

I was, at one point, in one of the top 10 PvP PS4 clans in Destiny.

The aiming in Destiny is *miles* ahead of H5, and that's frankly embarrassing given Destiny runs at 30 FPS and H5 at 60 FPS.

Of course, Destiny PvP had its own issues with the horrendously low tick rate and terrible netcode, but the aiming was absolutely rock solid.

I have no idea what they were trying to accomplish with the aiming in Halo 5, apart from essentially handing it over to some Esports guy. So the mindset there was apparently making the aiming artificially difficult = more "skill" required.

I dont think 343 is lazy, but this is Halo. They know what they got themselves into when they took over from Bungie. If they dont have enough people working on it, then maybe they need to hire more. Thats a decision for MS.

Fact of the matter is, for the mostpart, Halo games have shipped with everything but the kitchen sink in them when Bungie was doing it. It wasn't easy for them either but they somehow managed to do stuff like adding new gametypes like invasion without having to take a bunch of other gametypes out.

I have a big problem when stuff gets taken out of a game (especially stuff i used to play a lot) but then get added in a half assed manner (like BTB with forge) just to promote people going into Warzone instead. Or adding new gametypes with Forge and requiring people to then go download the 'forge version' of the map you already have cause it wont work on my vanilla map thats already in my list.

That to me is cutting corners and it doesnt help the game.
Give them some time. It's not fair to compare them to Bungie when a lot of Bungie has been making games together since what, the 90's? 343 formed a full development studio while creating Halo 4, had a lot of shake-ups in positions throughout since then, so hopefully now that we're closer to where H5 arguably should've been at launch, maybe they'll crush it with Halo 6.

Here's to hoping.

psyfi

Banned
Reducing aim assist was a great decision, 343 just bungled it. I've never been terribly bothered by it, but I get the complaints.

mcrommert

Banned
I still have no idea what people are taking about ie aiming... Aim assist is much lower but this is a good change especially with a 60 fps game

Einchy

I have no idea what they were trying to accomplish with the aiming in Halo 5, apart from essentially handing it over to some Esports guy. So the mindset there was apparently making the aiming artificially difficult = more "skill" required.

People have this notion that making it harder to aim is somehow good because we're hardcore and good aim assist is for casual, but that shit is why Destiny, above all else, gets praised for how great it feels to play.

Bungie already had it figured out with the other Halo games, you didn't need to "fix" it.

highrider

Banned
I still have no idea what people are taking about ie aiming... Aim assist is much lower but this is a good change especially with a 60 fps game

I don't either, but enough people have issue with it that I can't dismiss it out of hand. It feels effortless when it should and difficult when it should would be my best description of it.

E92 M3

Give them some time. It's not fair to compare them to Bungie when a lot of Bungie has been making games together since what, the 90's? 343 formed a full development studio while creating Halo 4, had a lot of shake-ups in positions throughout since then, so hopefully now that we're closer to where H5 arguably should've been at launch, maybe they'll crush it with Halo 6.

Here's to hoping.

Give them more time lmao? 343 has millions of dollars from Microsoft and have botched every single release - whether technical or design wise.

People have this notion that making it harder to aim is somehow good because we're hardcore and good aim assist is for casual, but that shit is why Destiny, above all else, gets praised for how great it feels to play.

Bungie already had it figured out with the other Halo games, you didn't need to "fix" it.

Exactly!

"Hey guys, the aiming the beta was perfect, but let's fuck it up anyways - everyone will love it!"

Give them more time lmao? 343 has millions of dollars from Microsoft and have botched every single release - whether technical or design wise.
You're emotions are blinding you from realizing that teams take time to gel together, not to mention fully understanding what it is they're trying to achieve and what's most important to their fanbase.

Again, 343 was barely a development studio as Halo 4 began production. TMCC cannot be excused, but Halo 5 was an incredible video game. Whether you think it's a good H A L O game is your opinion, but you can't deny it being a solid game that only improved with time. And to note, you saying "343 has millions of dollars" doesn't mean shit when you don't know what their development was like.

E92 M3

You're emotions are blinding you from realizing that teams take time to gel together, not to mention fully understanding what it is they're trying to achieve and what's most important to their fanbase.

Again, 343 was barely a development studio as Halo 4 began production. TMCC cannot be excused, but Halo 5 was an incredible video game. Whether you think it's a good H A L O game is your opinion, but you can't deny it being a solid game that only improved with time. And to note, you saying "343 has millions of dollars" doesn't mean shit when you don't know what their development was like.

As a consumer, I only care about the product they charge $60 for. And as far as I am concerned, those products were half-assed. Halo 4 was Halo 4, MCC was a scam for PVP players (in my view), and Halo 5 had a horrible campaign and was devoid of features that all Halo titles tend to have.

I will say this: 343 Forge Team is the best group in the studio. I don't care about forge, but those folks knock it out of the park.

These people have the backing of fucking Microsoft - that means every resource under the sun. There are ZERO excuses.

Btw, I own every single Halo title ever released. 343 destroyed the franchise for me and I'm bitter as fuck.

Halo 5 will forever be the game that launched with microtransactions and without splitscreen, BTB, Forge, or functional aiming.

Not to mention the weakest Halo campaign in the series.

And as far as I know, BTB is still all Forge maps.

343i have a lot to make up for. Will be interesting to see how much, if any, they address with H6

shoreu

If you care at all about tight movement and aiming then it makes absolutely no sense for you to be complimenting Halo 5, because the aiming in that game is legitimately the worst of any console FPS I've ever played. It's broken to the point where people are trying and failing to fix it on their own with the Elite controller custom deadzones and sensitivity curves.

See what I mean about hyperbole. Its either that or you just haven't played lots of shooters.

On topic

I'd love an Halo E.L.I.T.E

Featuring

1. The arbiter
2. Buck
3. Romeo
4. R'Tas

xam3l

Thats nowhere close to the truth mate.
And you make the Elite controller sound more like a Noob controller honestly.

psyfi

Banned

Destiny and Halo 5 have drastically different goals. Statements like this are totally ignorant of that fact.

Einchy

Destiny and Halo 5 have drastically different goals. Statements like this are totally ignorant of that fact.

The hell does this even mean? Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, 4, and the Halo 5 beta had "different goals" than Halo 5's final release?

Please enlight me on what these goals are and why an inferior feeling aiming system was required? Maybe it's cus I'm a big dumb dumb but I always thought FPS game's goal was to have a fun aiming system, cus you know, you do the shooty boom boom with guns but I guess Halo 5's goals weren't in-line with fun.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
The hell does this even mean? Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, 4, and the Halo 5 beta had "different goals" than Halo 5's final release?

Please enlight me on what these goals are and why an inferior feeling aiming system was required? Maybe it's cus I'm a big dumb dumb but I always thought FPS game's goal was to have a fun aiming system, cus you know, you do the shooty boom boom with guns but I guess Halo 5's goals weren't in-line with fun.

Whats funny is Halo CE had less aim assists than Halo 5 and it feels and plays infinitely better.

E92 M3

Halo 5 will forever be the game that launched with microtransactions and without splitscreen, BTB, Forge, or functional aiming.

Not to mention the weakest Halo campaign in the series.

And as far as I know, BTB is still all Forge maps.

343i have a lot to make up for. Will be interesting to see how much, if any, they address with H6

I actually liked the Halo 4 campaign to a degree, but H5 is just garbage. Horrible mission design with terribly boring battles.

What does have to do with how a game feels to play? Shooters shouldn't have issues with aiming. :genewut:

Whats funny is Halo CE had less aim assists than Halo 5 and it feels and plays infinitely better.

Truth. I can consistently three shot within 45 minutes of warm up.

See what I mean about hyperbole. Its either that or you just haven't played lots of shooters.

I've played multiple games from almost every major shooter franchise on consoles, including every single Halo game.

The aiming in Halo 5 is objectively piss poor. It's not an auto aim issue. It's a deadzone and wonky sensitivity curve issue.

The aiming in H5 is just fucking weird. The beta was perfect, like some of the best I’ve played. Then the game gets released and it just goes to shit. Every other patch they fix it and it’ll be decent for a while, but then it’ll go back to being shit. I just don’t get it.

cskippy

Neo Member
The aiming in H5 is just fucking weird. The beta was perfect, like some of the best I’ve played. Then the game gets released and it just goes to shit. Every other patch they fix it and it’ll be decent for a while, but then it’ll go back to being shit. I just don’t get it.

This. So much this. I was blown away by the beta thinking, "OMG they finally got it! The feel, the graphics, it feels like an updated Halo 2 (which was my favorite)." Updates didn't correct anything, some got close but never quite hit the perfection that was in the beta.

Wedzi

Banned
Maybe I'm the only one but when they first showed off the armor unlocks from the Master Chief collection for Halo 5 I was in love with the art style and stylized look. Apparently they were actual in game renders before adding extra scratches and stuff. I wish they would've kept these.

$

$

$

$

Maybe I'm the only one but when they first showed off the armor unlocks from the Master Chief collection for Halo 5 I was in love with the art style and stylized look. Apparently they were actual in game renders. What happened?

$

$

$

$

Yeah, I loved this.

Oh and they got rid of the best screen.

iEhYvGy.gif

psyfi

Banned
What does have to do with how a game feels to play? Shooters shouldn't have issues with aiming. :genewut:
Yeah, but you were saying lowering aim assist to increase the skill gap is inherently bad. That shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what Halo 5 is aiming (lol) to do as opposed to what Destiny goes for. Just because 343 botched the aiming doesn't mean low aim assist is bad.

Welfare

God forbid the multiplayer have some character. Maybe people thought it was too dude bro-y but I liked it when Halo had a little Starship Troopers or Aliens in it.

Halo 6 should allow you to change your pre and post game animations.

Fuchsdh

Screw open world Halo. Give me that sweet sweet Metroid styled Halo

whynotboth.gif

They'll take a page out of Black Ops 3 and they'll be several and in req packs most likely too

As long as they improve the speed and organization of the REQ system, I'm all for it. The multiplayer announcers they added were awesome. I'd love to bring back brofisting Spartans.

Gwyn

Now that people mentioned h5 beta, i watched some gameplay and noticed the medals actually poped instantly, why did they change that...???

Top Bottom