• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 6 won't be at E3 but 343 has a "little" something to show

I'll take tight movement, shooting and controls over the unbalanced floaty shooter that destiny was

Destiny is - arguably obviously - the best feeling shooter I've ever played on consoles so hearing someone claim that it doesn't have tight controls or shooting seems odd to me.

Welfare

What do you mean? Doesn't it still pop instantly?
IIRC the beta would pop a new medal next to the old ones if you were fast enough, leaving a long row of them. In the actual game they limit it to three medals popping up at a time before showing any more.

Wedzi

Banned
Now that people mentioned h5 beta, i watched some gameplay and noticed the medals actually poped instantly, why did they change that...???

I know there's a lot less medals that pop up now. Was super nice getting the assist medal to know when I got an assist or any of the other awesome medals in the beta. Lots of little things the beta got right were removed because people bitched too much. A lot of times 343 relies way too much on fan feed back.

I'm in the camp of either give us classic halo gameplay or go all out already.

Or better yet both in two separate games.

psyfi

Banned
I'd love to see less pointless medals pop up during gameplay, just leave the actually exciting stuff like killing sprees, multi kills, perfect (best addition since Reach), etc.

E92 M3

Yeah, but you were saying lowering aim assist to increase the skill gap is inherently bad. That shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what Halo 5 is aiming (lol) to do as opposed to what Destiny goes for. Just because 343 botched the aiming doesn't mean low aim assist is bad.

Can you please quote me where I said less aim assist is bad?

I never criticized the aim assist.

jem0208

I can pick up any other console shooter and do alright within a half hour. It has nothing to do with aim assist. Halo 5 has a horrible aiming mechanism - it's rotten to the core. To be good at Halo 5, you have to only play Halo 5 for hours on end and not touch other games.

All previous Halo games (including Halo 4) had no issues with aiming.

And finally, Destiny doesn't aim for you. That's why there are people charging money for trial carries. Destiny feels great to play because Bungie actually know what they are doing.

343 promoted Quinn to lead designer - the man that almost killed Gears of War.
The problem with 5's aiming is nothing to do with the mechanics. There's a bug which seems to semi randomly introduce a degree of input lag.

The main reason i dislike the Crucible is because of how easy it is to aim in Destiny. I get no satisfaction in getting a kill because the game does half the work for you.

The hell does this even mean? Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, 4, and the Halo 5 beta had "different goals" than Halo 5's final release?

Please enlight me on what these goals are and why an inferior feeling aiming system was required? Maybe it's cus I'm a big dumb dumb but I always thought FPS game's goal was to have a fun aiming system, cus you know, you do the shooty boom boom with guns but I guess Halo 5's goals weren't in-line with fun.
The difference in goals is that Destiny is aimed more at a casual fanbase. High aim assist makes it much easier to just pick up the game and play.

Low aim assist makes the game more difficult but it also allows for a higher skill ceiling, it gives players have more room to improve their skills and it generally makes getting kills more rewarding. Low aim assist makes the game more fun to play.

E92 M3

The problem with 5's aiming is nothing to do with the mechanics. There's a bug which seems to semi randomly introduce a degree of input lag.

The main reason i dislike the Crucible is because of how easy it is to aim in Destiny. I get no satisfaction in getting a kill because the game does half the work for you.

The difference in goals is that Destiny is aimed more at a casual fanbase. High aim assist makes it much easier to just pick up the game and play.

Low aim assist makes the game more difficult but it also allows for a higher skill ceiling, it gives players have more room to improve their skills and it generally makes getting kills more rewarding. Low aim assist makes the game more fun to play.

Destiny is easier to play in the same way the other Halos were "easier" to play. The game was just designed well. If you think the crucible is so easy, I expect you to be able to beat the top players in the Destiny world. Sure the meta is garbage right now, but it does not aim for you and people with bad primary shots stick out.

I don't mind people criticizing the game, but when it's kind of dismissed as trash I don't understand that.

People for obvious reasons rarely keep it 100 when it comes to anything Halo and 343 these days. They aren't some shitty developer that makes poor or "just ok" games. They're a top dev that makes great games. They know what the fuck they are doing. The Halo games they've made have been my favorite in the entire franchise.

I feel they take my love for the fiction and the universe and infuse that perfectly into the games. I only play for the campaigns, and I really appreciate their way of doing things as it pertains to that area.

E92 M3

People for obvious reasons rarely keep it 100 when it comes to anything Halo and 343 these days. They aren't some shitty developer that makes poor or "just ok" games. They're a top dev that makes great games. They know what the fuck they are doing. The Halo games they've made have been my favorite in the entire franchise.

I feel they take my love for the fiction and the universe and infuse that perfectly into the games. I only play for the campaigns, and I really appreciate their way of doing things as it pertains to that area.

I am keeping it very 100 when I say that 343 has seriously hurt the Halo franchise. People laugh at Halo all of the time. HCS is the biggest laughingstock right now in particular. Also, Halo 6 will be the FIRST Halo game I do not purchase.

jem0208

Destiny is easier to play in the same way the other Halos were "easier" to play. The game was just designed well. If you think the crucible is so easy, I expect you to be able to beat the top players in the Destiny world. Sure the meta is garbage right now, but it does not aim for you and people with bad primary shots stick out.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm not saying the Crucible is easy, I'm saying aiming is easy. It is easier to aim in Destiny because the aim assist is much higher than in H5.

High aim assist = easier aiming = lower skill ceiling = less room for player improvement = less rewarding gameplay.

Some people may prefer a game with higher aim assist and that's fine, but nothing which I've said here isn't true.

mcrommert

Banned

I'm not saying the Crucible is easy, I'm saying aiming is easy.

High aim assist = easy aiming = lower skill ceiling = less room for player improvement = less rewarding gameplay.

Some people may prefer a game with higher aim assist and that's fine, but nothing which I've said here isn't true.

Lord the aim assist in Destiny is so so bad.

The aim assist is so sticky that often if you are pointing your gun into a group of enemies and trying to take out a specific enemy your aim will get pulled to another enemy (even worse because early destiny year 1 was so reliant on firefly on handcannons)

So so so so so bad...even mentioning that game in relation to halo 5 is a farce

Here is a perfect video from 343i's Halo 5 development for those who are actually confused about the Aim Assist System:

https://youtu.be/UL1_ht1EdAU

This vid is pretty sensationalistic though. Every console shooter has a fierce aim assist system - H5's actually seems pretty sparse.

I haven't adequately researched this, though I believe Halo 5 differs through having a lower degree of aim-assist than 90% of console shooters, with that aiming being crutched by a higher than standard bullet magnetism.

The reason some feel they have to fight Guardian's aiming is because it isn't sticky. For better or worse, bullets are corrected more so than actual aiming, which leads to a different (or lack thereof) feedback

IHaveIce

Banned
I like Destiny for what it is.
But let me say one thing.. after it I wouldn't want Bungie even near a Halo game.

Destiny's balancing (how could any sane person discredit balance and say it is not as important) and its huge amount of autoaim is dogshit.
Destiny's PVP was literally built for the CoD kids so they would feel really good in Destiny aswell.

H5's aiming might not be the best aiming in Halo but god damn at least the MP is not like Reach's or Destiny's.

And I have a ton of hours in Destiny before some smartass comes around.
Destiny ist just no good competitive pvp game.

I am really hoping for something big from Microsoft's 1st party developers. I am an XBOX fan boy, and they are getting smoked by Sony right now.

Akai__

The reason some feel they have to fight Guardian's aiming is because it isn't sticky. For better or worse, bullets are corrected more so than actual aiming, which leads to a different (or lack thereof) feedback

Yeah, that's absolutely not the case. The aiming is just not smooth and it feels like you are dragging it through the mud. It's very apparent, once you switch back and forth from MCC, Battlefield 1 and Halo 5, like me in the last couple weeks.

Frankie said that they are still working on it and will announce when the time is right. I can't find the thread tho, but it wasn't so long ago.

Dan Ayoub and Ske7ch were also saying "Stay Tuned" for months and literally nothing happened. It doesn't even matter what they actually said, what matters is the actions they have taken and there were absolutely none after H5 released, despite saying that they will still have a dedicated team on the MCC, even after H5 releases.

Also, I doubt that Frankie said that recently.

Destiny is a million times better than Halo 5. Bungie knows how to make FUN games.

If you think a multiplayer game that runs on P2P, has a 10Hz or something tickrate, metagame swings violently every couple months, is dominated by whatever weapon that is flavor of the season, forces you to ADS, and has some of the worse/most boring MP maps "a million times" better than H5 MP then OK.

E92 M3

I'm not saying the Crucible is easy, I'm saying aiming is easy. It is easier to aim in Destiny because the aim assist is much higher than in H5.

High aim assist = easier aiming = lower skill ceiling = less room for player improvement = less rewarding gameplay.

Stop talking about aim assist, it has nothing to do with it. I've been playing shooters my whole life and can say with absolute fact that Halo 5 just has horrible aiming in general.

Let's be honest here, nobody can disagree that Halo 5 has a better story than Destiny atleast.

Halo 5 had the worst Halo campaign ever. Sure, Destiny came out with no story, but after TTK it became a lot more interesting.

If you think a multiplayer game that runs on P2P, has a 10Hz or something tickrate, metagame swings violently every couple months, is dominated by whatever weapon that is flavor of the season, forces you to ADS, and has some of the worse/most boring MP maps "a million times" better than H5 MP then OK.

Yeah, even in the worst meta, it's better than Halo 5 - simply because it doesn't feel like work to play and the maps are better.

They try to humanize chief too much for me. That's subjective though, so I'm not say you're wrong.

Let's be honest here, nobody can disagree that Halo 5 has a better story than Destiny atleast.

No dice. Lo siento. I'll take destiny's barebones story over halo 5. It actually got me interested in the lore which is good. Bungie needs to better work the grimoire stuff in. To be fair, I think both are pretty bad though.

Stop talking about aim assist, it has nothing to do with it. I've been playing shooters my whole life and can say with absolute fact that Halo 5 just has horrible aiming in general.

Halo 5 had the worst Halo campaign ever. Sure, Destiny came out with no story, but after TTK it became a lot more interesting.

Yeah, even in the worst meta, it's better than Halo 5 - simply because it doesn't feel like work to play and the maps are better.

Its different, but I'd hardly say better. Destiny has too many issues. Halo 5 has terribly inconsistent aim that leaves me feeling like a pro some games and a scrub in others because the aiming can feel different from match to match.

It's not better though. Too many times I don't know what the hell caused me to die in destiny. Dudes are always lagging the fuck around and such. I'm not bad at destiny either, when I'm hot, I'm on fire, it's a fun game, but it isn't competitive and it can't be in it's current state. It's a ton of fun though, I've got hundreds of hours in that one.

The_Dama

Halo 5 4K update for Scorpio
Halo Wars 2 (and maybe Halo Wars DE) 4K update for Scorpio

Thats what 343 is doing

MCC is dead to 343 which is a shame.

jem0208

You started this discussion by quoting a post of mine where i was talking about aim assist.

Also I'd rather play H5 with it's current aiming than if it played like Destiny.

The aiming is no where near as big an issue as you claim.

Lol at Destiny's maps being better.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
How do you do ignore on mobile? Because this crusade is getting tiresome to read.

Lord the aim assist in Destiny is so so bad.

The aim assist is so sticky that often if you are pointing your gun into a group of enemies and trying to take out a specific enemy your aim will get pulled to another enemy (even worse because early destiny year 1 was so reliant on firefly on handcannons)

So so so so so bad...even mentioning that game in relation to halo 5 is a farce

I agree. I don't even understand why this comparison is being entertained. Destiny is 30 fps, extremely high aim assist, p2p, laggy AF, ridiculously unbalanced, etc. they're not even in the same category. I guess it can be fun some times, but fun factor is not what's being compared here. The one great thing about destinys weapons is feedback. They have a real weight to the shots.

Edit: comparing the garbage grimoire cards to the story in H5? What a joke. If your game needs two or three expansions to have a serviceable story.....it means the story is garbage. In my opinion the story really didn't even get better after the expansions. It just got more coherent and linear. Halo 5 has a divisive campaign, but a lot of people actually enjoyed it. Including myself. The story was told in the actual game though. The fact that you don't need to use an app on your phone to get halo 5's story makes it better by default.

How do you do ignore on mobile? Because this crusade is getting tiresome to read.
It's too bad the Bungie vs 343 war rages on and how some are compelled to project their hate onto others. Jesus, if you hate Halo so much then quit posting in Halo threads and shitting up the place, likewise to Halo fans who continue arguing with these people.

Who the hell cares if someone likes Destiny over Halo.. Why is this still a thing? Bungie moved on, so should they.

Whompa02

You guys know it's going to be one of those, "behind the scenes at 343" montages showing how dedicated they are working on 3d models and concept art and sneak peaks in the music studio videos, right?

"Where will we end up...lets find out."

Fade to black. "Halo 6 coming soon. Preorder now to access exclusive early beta access to the multiplayer."

jviggy43

There isn't competitive scene for destiny for a reason. I like destiny, but its aim assist: the game.

E92 M3

You started this discussion by quoting a post of mine where i was talking about aim assist.

Also I'd rather play H5 with it's current aiming than if it played like Destiny.

The aiming is no where near as big an issue as you claim.

Lol at Destiny's maps being better.

It's not a big issue if all you play is Halo 5 - I mentioned that before. Compared to all other shooters, it is. I can easily go between CoD, Titanfall, Destiny or Halo 3-CE without issues.

It's too bad the Bungie vs 343 war rages on and how some are compelled to project their hate onto others. Jesus, if you hate Halo so much then quit posting in Halo threads and shitting up the place, likewise to Halo fans who continue arguing with these people.

Who the hell cares if someone likes Destiny over Halo.. Why is this still a thing? Bungie moved on, so should they.

I absolutely HATE what 343 has done with Halo. They've also made a mockery out of the competitive side as well. Instead of partnering with MLG, like any smart developer does, they insist on controlling everything themselves and producing horrible tournaments.

Hell, we don't even have a proper LAN mode. They have to bring servers to the venues.

There isn't competitive scene for destiny for a reason. I like destiny, but its aim assist: the game.

The only metric I care about is how good the game feels to play. And Destiny feels as good as the previous Bungie Halo games have.

Pizza

Give me Halo 3 Remastered and let halo 6 bake in the oven for another few years. It's gotta release as a complete game with real maps for every mode and a story that was written by someone with both halves of their brain intact

4 was pretty sweet from a story standpoint but 5 was a fucking mess in almost every single aspect that I cared about

No big team battle at launch wouldn't have mattered if the story was alright but jesus

I was beyond excited for 5 before it dropped, too

psyfi

Banned
Can you please quote me where I said less aim assist is bad?

I never criticized the aim assist.
Aw yeah you're right, my bad.

The hell does this even mean? Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, 4, and the Halo 5 beta had "different goals" than Halo 5's final release?

Please enlight me on what these goals are and why an inferior feeling aiming system was required? Maybe it's cus I'm a big dumb dumb but I always thought FPS game's goal was to have a fun aiming system, cus you know, you do the shooty boom boom with guns but I guess Halo 5's goals weren't in-line with fun.
I'm just saying any comparison of Halo and Destiny needs to keep in mind their different goals. Halo 5 is a competitive FPS where skill is highly prioritized. Destiny is most decidedly not. I'm not excusing Halo 5's aiming issues, I'm just asking for some nuance.

I fully expect a smaller than small tease about some Halo 6 tidbit. We already had one with the Mannequin pose fly through the studio where someone was holding the script to halo "6".

e3 is one of the best times to have a lot of people paying attention to what you have to say about X, y and Z. If they miss this opportunity, to not start a mindshare of the Next Mainline Halo, they will have to fight twice as hard to get that mindshare into gamers at a later time.

As many have said, HALO does not have the agile legs as it did before and they need to approach their marketing strategy differently. Hunt the Truth was a great way to approach this, but the final execution on the outcome left a lot of us SOUR. Mainly because the relation of HTT to Halo 5's story felt really polar.

So, for them to do another bait and switch(there's no halo 6 at e3) is kind of cliche to me at this point. I mean, how could a Franchise Director not know about the MCC project? it's all good, he needs to keep secrets and announcements on a specific time table. so i dont dong on him for telling us there was nothing and keep to that story.

I would almost bet they do a SMALL Teaser trailer that fades a lot of CGI close ups on halo things* and ends on a DATE for December. the date would lead to a full reveal TRAILER of HALO 6 and will end on a DATE for the HALO 6 BETA.

After this, a small amount of intel will unfold through GI or IGN and maybe more Vidocs through until the NEXT e3; where we get a good game-play blowout with some Scorpio Visual capabilities for the Halo game. This would enable MS to have a visually appealing 1st party game and also an opportunity to introduce a Temporary pricecut on their Scorpio for the holiday season as halo 6 releases.

But i suck at marketing and i am trying to armchair some thought process on how they could approach these items to the gaming populace.

iswasdoes

Anyone else think this is bad news for scorpio? They need to show some killer exclusives and Halo is one of the few they have, and definitely the only thing that would make me consider buying one at launch...

blakep267

Anyone else think this is bad news for scorpio? They need to show some killer exclusives and Halo is one of the few they have, and definitely the only thing that would make me consider buying one at launch...
Halo 6 was never going to come out this year, so no
I don't think it's bad news

Leyasu

Banned
Halo 5 beta aiming was incredible, full game.. I can't get on with it. Chuck in some 343 absolute fucking terrible out of region matchmaking ™ , and it is not good.

I hope that they nail the two above for 6.

Top Bottom