• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prologue

Seeing Sanctuary is making me wish all the H2 maps were remastered. Oh well though, can't wait. Hopefully we get some H1 online footage. I never played the multiplayer aspect of it so I'm looking forward to that.

RdN

I think my problem with the remastered Halo 2 campaign is that it looks way too "cartoony". I wish Saber and 343i had opted for a more realistic look.

The ranking system will prolly make Halo 4 more fun to play as well

I am also wondering if all of Halo 4's loadout options are unlocked at the start. It would make sense considering there aren't any individual multiplayer menu's for the games. The matchmaking takes care of all four titles, so it would be nice not having to grind for all of the weapons and abilities.

JB1981

OMG @ the anniversary footage. Loving the sound effects. Hopefully it's a test of the Halo 5 beta. Sniper rifle sounds soo much better.

dwells

So "a ranking system with identical leveling as the original Halo 2" means same algorithm, right? Not just the same numbers and images?

If so, HYPE. SO MUCH HYPE. Moon, here I come.

AlStrong

ODSTs look kinda terrible. Hope those get some changes.

k9mwIX3.jpg

Sad face or moustache? :p

---

edit: Anyways, yeah, not a fan of the new ODST.

Kinda odd how the metal shine/environment map disappears in direct sunlight for that Honour Guard comparison (shoulder & right leg in shadow vs his left side).

dwells

So it appears that neither Halo 2 Anniversary campaign or Halo 5 MP beta are going to be 1080p. Looks like 1536x864, roughly, for H2A campaign. Kind of a bummer seeing these non-native resolutions that scale funny. Hopefully they can bump up to 900p at least since it scales a little better.

EDIT: rescinding Halo 5 MP comment, too difficult for me to tell definitively, not sure what they've done with scaling or filtering on those shots now that I'm looking closely at the media assets.

Computer

So it appears that neither Halo 2 Anniversary or Halo 5 are going to be 1080p. Looks like 1536x864, roughly. Kind of a bummer seeing these non-native resolutions that scale funny. Hopefully they can bump up to 900p at least since it scales a little better.

Work in progress.... They already said the only thing that might be sub 1080p would be Halo 2 Anny campaign because the 2 engines running.

Kibbles

So it appears that neither Halo 2 Anniversary or Halo 5 are going to be 1080p. Looks like 1536x864, roughly. Kind of a bummer seeing these non-native resolutions that scale funny. Hopefully they can bump up to 900p at least since it scales a little better.
What. Dan said H2A is 1080/60 in the major Nelson sanctuary walkthrough

dwells

What. Dan said H2A is 1080/60 in the major Nelson sanctuary walkthrough

I didn't look at MP yet, but looking at campaign, I'm seeing a pretty consistent 12 steps across 15 vertical pixels ratio. 12 / 15 * 1080 = 864. On some all shots there's also a very prominent and aggressive sharpening filter that looks like the pre-patch Xbox One scaler (i.e. awful). Not sure what the deal is.

EDIT: Took a look at H2A MP from the Xbox Wire media. Pretty much impossible to tell you the resolution. Bad compression (not sure if it's a workflow issue with the images, texture compression, or what), broken gamma and black levels, etc. But the big issue is that the images just look so damn soft. They might be using an FXAA implementation that's bringing a ton of blur with it.

Really? It looks more like 1570x921 to me..

Anyone else think the multiplayer looks like a generational leep over the singeplayer?
What singleplayer? We haven't see any singleplayer.
Unless you mean Halo 2 Anniversary?

Because those 6/7 maps are in the Halo 4 engine, very different, kind of apples and oranges. We haven't actually seen the real upressed Halo 2 maps.

Yeah, the ODST change is a questionable one.
I mean I guess the jungle combat look is supposed to be look more sensible and environment aware, but if you start that train of logical questioning of the universe you'd ed up pulling on a thread that unravels the franchise into something it's not [in my mind].

It's a difficult knife edge to balance upon. Rather than an easy knife edge to balance upon.
I'd love to hear why they made the choice. Did their armour really look so ridiculous in Anniversary mode?

daedalius

What singleplayer? We haven't see any singleplayer.
Unless you mean Halo 2 Anniversary?

Because those 6/7 maps are in the Halo 4 engine, very different, kind of apples and oranges. We haven't actually seen the real upressed Halo 2 maps.

Except it isn't. They've already said its a new engine.

Except it isn't. They've already said its a new engine.

It's not the same engine outright, but it's definitely based on a retooled Halo 4 engine, likely with some of Halo 5's engine improvements ported over as well. So more of a new engine than say, ODST's modified Halo 3 engine, but definitely not as much of a rework as a core-release engine.

In Halo CE Anniversary is the switch button now instant or does it still have that slight delay present in the 360 version?

Frankie, Pls respond

Leyasu

Banned
The remastered maps look fucking gorgeous... cant wait.

@ Stinkles whilst you are here, any news on if we choose the Datacenter where we play?? I know, I have asked you this before

Project

I may be getting ahead of myself here - but I can safely say this is the best news to come to Halo fans (and more so Core/Multiplayer fans) since halo 3. If its any consolation, I really hope they continue this momentum into H5 (specifically with the inclusion of a visible ranking system).

Best Tuesday of the year. Thanks Frankie

Striker

more areas to play in. It was more fleshed out.
The areas they opened up hurt gameplay, i.e. Camp Froman and the interior of the base. Wiping out the pillars and ramps inside the base killed flag and assault games (don't even get me started on the changes to Assault in Halo 3; they also had an open box inside which players were able to flip over onto the flag/bomb spot with a Brute Shot, yay!).

The catwalk between Froman and the base also allowed Snipers to control that entire side of the map with ease.

daedalius

It's a modified Halo 4 engine, come on, you know what I meant.

I mean, Frankie has been pretty specific saying that a lot of the engine has been redone, and its not relying on old tech. There are bits of CE in Halo 4.

Hopefully all of that legacy junk has been replaced, and if it has, you can't really call it a modified halo 4 engine either. I guess it just depends on how far you want to abstract 'engine' discussion.

hwalker84

Switching between old and new is such a novelty feature. If it's the reason Halo 2A doesn't run at 1080p 60FPS i'm going to be upset.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
But we still don't know anything about Spartan abilities other than everyone has them all the time.

There's one more thing...

The Spartan Abilities have been described as abilities more akin to high jacking a ghost than, say, armor lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom