• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo MCC patch out tomorrow.

pj

Banned
Didn't say it was his job. I was specifically responding to someone who was saying that 343 had been exceptionally transparent and involved in the community. Just like the core of all my other posts has been in reference to the 343 fellators in this thread and not the worker bees at 343. But people here have a hard time understanding that.

I'm talking to the people here, in this thread. The people fellating 343 PR for making a tweet once every 2 days or one post in this topic. The people who are fellating 343 for providing a product on the 20th that they sold on the 11th. Well, half of it. Maybe. I'm not talking to Stinkles or any other 343 employee.

Blind fandom like that is what encourages companies (read: executives) to keep shitting out garbage and making a profit on it. Consumers shouldn't give them a pass on this.

Anyone who wants Halo 5 to launch to the standards of Halo 1, 2, 3, and 4 should be clearly and loudly demanding better than TMMC. Cutting any slack on these forums breeds complacency among the people who assign budgets and headcount to these projects and who set release dates. It takes a loud and clear negative response from consumers to move the needle for the people in those board rooms.

Stinkles isn't a programmer, he's not fixing anything. He probably went MIA from the halo threads because there were no updates. "Sorry, we're fixing things as fast as possible, the patch will be out thursday." What more do you want him to say until the patch is out? "Still fixing things, patch still out thursday, still sorry"

If you want to move the needle, ask for a refund and email microsoft. Don't act like anything we do here is more than venting frustration. Stinkles isn't reading your posts and going "Sorry to bother you Mr. Nadella, but Narpas Sword0 on neogaf is really mad about how we handled halo mcc."

Skele7on

Banned
Matchmaking is dedicated, fallback to p2p when there are errors. Custom games and co-op is p2p as far as I know.

I don't mind customs and co-op being p2p.

It's matchmaking that needs to be 100% dedicated as host booting and cheating will kill this game like it killed Halo 3 on xbox 360.

Stinkles isn't a programmer, he's not fixing anything. He probably went MIA from the halo threads because there were no updates. "Sorry, we're fixing things as fast as possible, the patch will be out thursday." What more do you want him to say until the patch is out? "Still fixing things, patch still out thursday, still sorry"

If you want to move the needle, ask for a refund and email microsoft. Don't act like anything we do here is more than venting frustration. Stinkles isn't reading your posts and going "Sorry to bother you Mr. Nadella, but Narpas Sword0 on neogaf is really mad about how we handled halo mcc."

Yeah you can't expect PR to be communicating when theres nothing to communicate. Was Frankie supposed to come in here and say "we are working on it" over and over again? It sounds like they are flying by the seat of their pants over there.

Yeah they messed up pretty huge, but it seems they are giving us updates as soon as there are updates to give.

Doesn't give any specifics, but it might address it. My post was more just targeted at the poster who falsely claimed that it's unfixable.

Im really interested in how much this patch fixes. The beginning of the notes mentions there was a much larger issue and many of the issues in the notes were symptoms of that larger problem.

Im at least cautiously optimistic (more just hopeful) this means things like uneven teams are gonna fixed too.

I would do so simply for the sake of being polite, and not endeavoring to sound completely spoiled/entitled. Through all this mess they've been pretty damn transparent and apologetic, which is certainly the exception to the rule. And hell, even if something is expected or deserved, it's not a stretch to say 'thanks.' That's not a measure of what you feel you deserve; its a measure of maturity.
I'd like to think that it wasn't intentional, but your response carries an insinuation that I'm immature, spoiled, and/or entitled for not feeling "grateful" for 343's actions. As I tried to point out in my previous post, I feel grateful is way too strong of a word to be used here. 343, really, has a duty to fix this broken product. They could go about not fixing it, but there are consumer protection laws and the legal system that would really make it an unwise decision all the way around. And I'm not saying 343 would even do that. Clearly they know they made a mistake and, like any other good-natured person, they are going to do everything in their power to correct a mistake. Frankie's comments about "no sleep until Turkey Day" just shows how far they are willing to go to take corrective action.

I can applaud 343 for their communication (which, really, has been top class. *cough*Bungie*cough*) and a relatively quick turnaround, but the patch isn't out yet, so it's a little premature to judge their merits on words alone. What I can't applaud them for is giving us a Halo game in the state it is when they have forever preached they would treat the Halo brand with the utmost respect it deserves. Halo deserves better than this and I'm certain most people would agree with me here.

I think a quick glance through my post history will show I've not taken an overly dramatic approach some posters have regarding this matter. I think I've uttered the word "disappointed" a few times, but that's as far as I've gone. I'm a huge Halo fan and have been since November 15, 2001. My living room is practically a shrine to the Halo brand, with collectibles adorning every corner and in between. I've spent thousands of dollars on the franchise. It is very dear to my heart.

But "grateful" will not be a word I use to describe my experience with the Master Chief Collection thus far.
Also yes, you can ask for a refund. I believe That has been stated several times now. :)
Well, sure, I can ask for one. Target won't give it to me, though.
Open music, movies, video games and software cannot be returned, but may be exchanged at the store for the same title, for the same or different gaming platform.
Which was exactly my point about bringing up brick and mortar stores.

Again, I am not criticizing stinkles, I was specifically responding to a neogaf poster who was lauding 343's transparancy and community management and using one stinkles post in this topic as his point of reference. Meanwhile there are a dozen posts in this topic along the lines of "wait does this patch include X? What about Y?" to crickets

JaggedSac

Again, I am not criticizing stinkles, I was specifically responding to a neogaf poster who was lauding 343's transparancy and community management and using one stinkles post in this topic as his point of reference. Meanwhile there are a dozen posts in this topic along the lines of "wait does this patch include X? What about Y?" to crickets

If it isn't the notes, don't get your hopes up.

pj

Banned

It would be pretty inefficient to answer every forum post on this subject. Do you expect them to answer the dozens of posts on this forum, and every other forum on the internet?

I think it's pretty safe to assume that if it's not listed in the fixes, it isn't fixed

Skele7on

Banned

He's the face, but not the brains in 343i, (sorry frankie) but he can only provide info that he knows to be 100% true, otherwise it'd be on all gaming news sites as him misquoting what they're doing which would lead to a greater outrage by fans.

Damage control is a very difficult thing to do, but 343i are really trying their best.

It would be pretty inefficient to answer every forum post on this subject. Do you expect them to answer the dozens of posts on this forum, and every other forum on the internet?

I think it's pretty safe to assume that if it's not listed in the fixes, it isn't fixed

Can you respond to the content of my posts plz instead of strawmen, thanks

He's the face, but not the brains in 343i, (sorry frankie) but he can only provide info that he knows to be 100% true, otherwise it'd be on all gaming news sites as him misquoting what they're doing which would lead to a greater outrage by fans.

Damage control is a very difficult thing to do, but 343i are really trying their best.

This is actually something super interesting to me.

Companies can't send people to gaf to just talk to the fan base anymore. Gaming "news" sites report everything they say as fact. Bravo tweeted "aiming for wednesday" with the first patch. 343 never actually said "its coming wednesday"

But we all read articles saying HALO MCC PATCH WEDNESDAY followed by HALO MCC PATCH DELAYED. Based on that tweet.

No, it was never dated, nor was it delayed, because delayed implies it totally had a date.

Im probably missing a few things in that summary but basically I'm saying i don't like that companies aren't super vocal and it sucks we haven't gotten basically multiple updates a day, but i GET why we don't.

I thought he was pretty on point regarding the content of your post.

This is the second post he's made towards me without reading the first sentence of my post that he quoted

"Didn't say it was his job. I was specifically responding to someone who was saying that 343 had been exceptionally transparent and involved in the community."

So I'll say it for the third time - no, stinkles doesn't need to respond to anyone. But if he did, then we could laud 343 as being exceptionally transparent. Right now there should be no lauding, they are just releasing patch notes and twitter apologies like any company would.

You know you're coming across as very self entitled aren't you? Take the silver spoon out.

You're not the only one who wants news and answers. SMH

For the fourth time, I don't expect them to say more than they have. I am not talking to them. I am talking to the people in this forum who are patting them on the back for doing exactly what they are supposd to do, whether it's the patch itself or the release of patch notes. I do not expect more news or answers.

Rather than stealth edit my post above, I'm going to make this a standalone post. For the record, I don't want a refund. The game is getting fixed. That is what is important to me. And I am having fun with Halo, as I always do. I am rolling through the campaigns on Legendary and am having a blast. 1080p/60fps, with upgraded graphics (where applicable), has made this a brand new and fresh experience for me.

Luckily, my single player issues have come in the form of achievements not unlocking on first try or taking a long time to unlock. Yesterday I had to play through the level The Arbiter again and rush through it to get the achievement to unlock. Putting it on Easy made it less of a chore and I wound up getting the "Beat the Par Time" achievement in the process, so a 2-for-1 helped ease the pain. I think I would be especially frustrated if I encountered the checkpoint bugs others have, especially considering I am playing on Legendary.

Multiplayer matchmaking, on the other hand, is a source of frustration for me.

acksman

Between this thread and Driveclub and others. I have learned that you really have to love gaming and have a thick skin to get into the game business.

All of this is about par for most of the software vendors I deal with on a daily basis. So much broke stuff with apps, crms, cms software that just won't work right and no on cares.

I would have been thrilled with a patch like this in ~2 weeks from some of my vendors.

pj

Banned
This is the second post he's made towards me without reading the first sentence of my post that he quoted

"Didn't say it was his job. I was specifically responding to someone who was saying that 343 had been exceptionally transparent and involved in the community."

So I'll say it for the third time - no, stinkles doesn't need to respond to anyone. But if he did, then we could laud 343 as being exceptionally transparent. Right now there should be no lauding, they are just releasing patch notes and twitter apologies like any company would.

For the fourth time, I don't expect them to say more than they have. I am not talking to them. I am talking to the people in this forum who are patting them on the back for doing exactly what they are supposd to do, whether it's the patch itself or the release of patch notes. I do not expect more news or answers.

Even if it's "what they're supposed to do", they're pretty much the only ones doing it. How many other developers would post ANY updates/apologies here? I get that you don't think that's praise-worthy, but why is it panties-in-a-bunch-worthy when someone else does post praise?

Even if it's "what they're supposed to do", they're pretty much the only ones doing it. How many other developers would post ANY updates/apologies here? I get that you don't think that's praise-worthy, but why is it panties-in-a-bunch-worthy when someone else does post praise?

Because people choosing to bootlick corporations over defending consumers is a personal pet peeve of mine, and you can bet your ass that big shots will be more careful about how they launch Halo 5 if they perceive Halo TMMC as having been exceptionally damaging to the brand.

But it's ok, carry on HaloGAF, this is 343's triumph over adversity and the parade starts right now! I mean, later tonight. If you don't really care about Campaign. Maybe.

watership

Between this thread and Driveclub and others. I have learned that you really have to love gaming and have a thick skin to get into the game business.

Gaming pretty is harsh, but that probably speaks to any industry that has an active on-line community. Dealing with message boards and forums, you need to have a thick skin, but also an accepting understanding of human nature. People can suck. :)

However, it 'appears' that the Driveclub community is far nicer to Evolution than the Halo community is being to 343i. I chalk that up to dedicated driveclub players just concentrating on the good aspects of that game, while the Halo threads have a few hardcore upset fans, but a large number of drive by lol posts.

Kssio_Aug

Indeed. 343 could be doing what most of developers do nowadays... Stay quiet and dont say shit. Thank god theyre not doing it! Also, it seems to me theyre really working hard in it.

Like I said several times, I completely understand the frustration, and I think that is reasonable to ask for a refund. Sure. But now things are what they are; we already know the situation, and its not reasonable to expect that 343 programmers team could fix everything in one week. Theyre doing what they should do, fixing it and giving priority to the right thing by now (matchmaking). And being transparent about the work is a good thing, and not a common pratice.

PooBone

With all the achievement issues people have been having I went and looked at my service record in some of the old Halos. Jesus, I have spent a lot of hours playing this series. Days and days and days worth.

Wereroku

Sorry, but no perceived slight from 343 at this point has been so egrarious that someone should have problems uttering 'thanks' for them promptly addressing a problem if they fix it. If you've got a hangup about it, that's on you.

Tis the season after all.

And my post doesn't imply anything--if someone's acting foolishly, I'll tell them explicitly. If you feel that it does, again, that impression is entirely under your control :)

And if target is refusing to return your game, escalate. There is no policy written in stone which would prevent you from returning a defective product.

Yes there is. When I worked for Walmart open games could be returned for a replacement but they never allowed a return for money back. I am pretty sure almost no stores in the US will allow you to return an open game or movie for your money back. I don't know why you keep arguing that you can.

Edit: Here is Walmart's policy which is the same as most other big box stores

BOOKS, MOVIES, MUSIC & VIDEO GAMES - 90 days if unused, unopened, and unmarked

Books must be returned unused and unmarked.

CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, audiotapes, videotapes and video games must be returned unopened. If the item is defective, it can be returned within 90 days with a receipt and the original packaging. Defective items may be exchanged for the same title.

Edit 2: Here is Target's

​Open music, movies, video games and software cannot be returned, but may be exchanged at the store for the same title, for the same or different gaming platform.

maxiell

It seems like there should be a middle ground between, "we're just thrilled, thank you 343i!" and "every time Stinkles posts in OT, I'm visibly upset."

iso135

Wow. So much negativity. I am upset with this whole situation too, but sometimes you just have to take a step back and relax. On the bright side there are tons of other quality games out right now to play!

pj

Banned
Because people choosing to bootlick corporations over defending consumers is a personal pet peeve of mine, and you can bet your ass that big shots will be more careful about how they launch Halo 5 if they perceive Halo TMMC as having been exceptionally damaging to the brand.

But it's ok, carry on HaloGAF, this is 343's triumph over adversity and the parade starts right now! I mean, later tonight. If you don't really care about Campaign. Maybe.

I've never defended 343i as a developer. Halo 4 sucked and MCC is a disaster. I've posted about how buggy and unacceptable MCC is, and I made a farily successful thread a while ago about how much H4 sucks. I don't think I'm combating mediocrity in the games industry when I do that, I am simply venting frustration and commiserating with fellow frustrated gamers.

But go on, keep fighting the good fight. You're totally going to make a difference by complaining about people who aren't mad enough on neogaf.

HaleStorm

Yes there is. When I worked for Walmart open games could be returned for a replacement but they never allowed a return for money back. I am pretty sure almost no stores in the US will allow you to return an open game or movie for your money back. I don't know why you keep arguing that you can.

Edit: Here is Walmart's policy which is the same as most other big box stores

BOOKS, MOVIES, MUSIC & VIDEO GAMES - 90 days if unused, unopened, and unmarked

Books must be returned unused and unmarked.

CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, audiotapes, videotapes and video games must be returned unopened. If the item is defective, it can be returned within 90 days with a receipt and the original packaging. Defective items may be exchanged for the same title.

Edit 2: Here is Target's

​Open music, movies, video games and software cannot be returned, but may be exchanged at the store for the same title, for the same or different gaming platform.

I wonder if too many people are used to returning used games to pawn shops like gamestop and don't understand how retail actually works.

Wereroku

I wonder if too many people are used to returning used games to pawn shops like gamestop and don't understand how retail actually works.

I don't know but I do wonder what store has given him a return on an open video game that he was so adamant that it could be done.

Head.spawn

I went to the store and told them the productwas defective and they told me I was being ungrateful

Hello you felating customer service representatives, if your not too busy felating 343 and each other, please wipe that smug look off of your faces and felate me a refund for this defective product that 343 apologists keep felating on gaf.

Impala26

Hello you felating customer service representatives, if your not too busy felating 343 and each other, please wipe that smug look off of your faces and felate me a refund for this defective product that 343 apologists keep felating on gaf.

926.gif

This thread...
I can't... I just can't anymore... XD

operon

Pure comedy gold

dB Viper

Once the main stuff gets ironed out, would be nice to have the following answered:

-Why are ranks being constantly reset in H2A? Went from a 3 to a 1, and now I can't move past a 1.

-Will there ever be a status bar on waypoint (like h2) to see your progress to the next rank?

-Is the ranking system pre-patch Halo 2 or post? I feel like it takes forever to rank up.

Onikaan

Just recently I haven't seen a day when the service was 100% working.

The friends list just loves hiding from me....

Hope the patch comes soon.

I have to say, as of late the quality of Xbox Live has plummeted. It's a year out and the thing still isn't optimized.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Once the main stuff gets ironed out, would be nice to have the following answered:

-Why are ranks being constantly reset in H2A? Went from a 3 to a 1, and now I can't move past a 1.

-Will there ever be a status bar on waypoint (like h2) to see your progress to the next rank?

-Is the ranking system pre-patch Halo 2 or post? I feel like it takes forever to rank up.

The rank resets are a bug according to bravo.

Im not totally worried about the ranks until all the other ranked playlists come online.

Skele7on

Banned
Wait is the patch today? Because while this thread was made this morning GMT time it was yesterday in America

"Tomorrow afternoon (Thursday, Nov. 20), our latest content update will become available. This particular content update addresses matchmaking performance, UI, gameplay, and title-specific issues.
We are on track for a release of mid-late afternoon Pacific Time for this content update, and will immediately let you know when it is available.
For now, here is a change list of what will be included. As a note, many of the below issues are sub issues that were caused by larger umbrella problems that we have addressed with this update."

Probably late late tonight in the UK, please don't start street walking again for burgers. No one wants to see Smokey again.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
"Tomorrow afternoon (Thursday, Nov. 20), our latest content update will become available. This particular content update addresses matchmaking performance, UI, gameplay, and title-specific issues. We are on track for a release of mid-late afternoon Pacific Time for this content update, and will immediately let you know when it is available. For now, here is a change list of what will be included. As a note, many of the below issues are sub issues that were caused by larger umbrella problems that we have addressed with this update."

Probably late late tonight in the UK

If we assume 2 pm is mid afternoon... then 10 pm+ GMT

Top Bottom