• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

VinFTW

He was a legend

#ToggleSprintinHalo5

For me sprint in BTB, no sprint anywhere else IMO.

Or have a hardcore/Esports playlist with no sprint.

I just think it completely changes the game from Halo into something else entirely, something gross.

Ramirez

YEYE FIRST PAGE

Wall of Shame:
http://i.imgur.com/vt94DOK.png[/IMG

Pretty hyped up, MCC OT in 3 weeks and it's no where near done yet. Let's hope it's at least better than Fracas' attempt[/QUOTE]

The MCC review thread should contain this, and only this. No one reads an OP.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEpdWpFjTEU[/url]

RowdyReverb

I just think it completely changes the game from Halo into something else entirely, something gross.

I think we can mostly agree that the only time players should not be accurately aiming their weapon is when driving. No ADS, no sprint. The reticle is part of the spartan's HUD. It shouldn't be affected by whether or not they look down the sight, and I'd expect super cyborg soldiers to be able to run with a rifle shouldered. Not to mention it would take away the unique aspect of Halo's gunplay among other modern FPS games.

VinFTW

I think we can mostly agree that the only time players should not be accurately aiming their weapon is when driving. No ADS, no sprint. The reticle is part of the spartan's HUD. It shouldn't be affected by whether or not they look down the sight, and I'd expect super cyborg soldiers to be able to run with a rifle shouldered. Not to mention it would take away the unique aspect of Halo's gunplay among other modern FPS games.

Trust me I don't want sprint at all, but I know some like it. Idk, I feel so bad for 343, having to cater to all these differing opinions and preferences must be a nightmare. The pressure is reallllll.

No sprint and increased movement speed? Idk. Goodluck to 343.

The MCC review thread should contain this, and only this. No one reads an OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEpdWpFjTEU

15 minutes.

Guys im scared. im shaking. I am cold.

it hurts all over my body. the reason why I got a Xbone has come to this day. the reason why I started playing the early FPS like quake and doom and call of duty and timeshift and goldeneye... it was all because of this day. because of this game.

this game that will not only be the last significant game of all time. but also the game that will counter-attack and kill Destiny and all the other "Omg online phenomenon". Red vs blue on this... its going to be... I cant write anymore. I cant. I have to hide under my desk.

I just cant. I just cant....

Ramirez

15 minutes.

Guys im scared. im shaking. I am cold.

it hurts all over my body. the reason why I got a Xbone has come to this day. the reason why I started playing the early FPS like quake and doom and call of duty and timeshift and goldeneye... it was all because of this day. because of this game.

this game that will not only be the last significant game of all time. but also the game that will counter-attack and kill Destiny and all the other "Omg online phenomenon". Red vs blue on this... its going to be... I cant write anymore. I cant. I have to hide under my desk.

I just cant. I just cant....

How strange is it that guy made a new account and is now making the MCC OT??

Time is a flat circle.

r8lTc4U.png

-Ryn

Banned

Regardless of who your super soldier upgrades you wouldn't be running at maximum efficiency if your gun was up.

Sprint on small arena maps is a no. I think it works well in larger game modes however and adds to the experience which is why I think it should be a toggle feature. Options.

Salt King checking in.
FTFY

Even in COD, I feel like sprint gets me killed far more than it helps me. Just nix it all together.
Bring back the Halo bunny hop.

Trust me I don't want sprint at all, but I know some like it. Idk, I feel so bad for 343, having to cater to all these differing opinions and preferences must be a nightmare. The pressure is reallllll.

no fucking sprint in halo, its a new thread and it needs some salt and an argument about sprint to kick it off.

10/10 OT.

My hype for MCC has slowly been building over the past few months and will hit dangerous levels come November.

By November 1st, it'll be at critical mass. I kinda wonder why I am bothering with COD this year when a week later is MCC.
Oh right, Kevin Spacey

Madness

Ultimately, devs should always listen to the majority of their community first, but like Frank said, if you cater exclusively to them you wind up with Homer's Persephone bubble car.

Henry Ford once said, "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses". Sometimes you need to have singular vision that you force the community accept or buy.

With Halo 4, it seems like they wanted to continue what Bungie did with Reach, but also just copy a lot of features from Call of Duty. In the end, you got a game that wasn't really Halo, and it wasn't really Call of Duty. The more I think about it, I think they are in a tough situation moving forward with the franchise.

The fuck? My leaked Halo 5 story didn't make the best posts of last thread?

I searched high and low and hacked like five servers until I found that story summary.

Ultimately, devs should always listen to the majority of their community first, but like Frank said, if you cater exclusively to them you wind up with Homer's Persephone bubble car.

Henry Ford once said, "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses". Sometimes you need to have singular vision that you force the community accept or buy.

With Halo 4, it seems like they wanted to continue what Bungie did with Reach, but also just copy a lot of features from Call of Duty. In the end, you got a game that wasn't really Halo, and it wasn't really Call of Duty. The more I think about it, I think they are in a tough situation moving forward with the franchise.

He also said "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black"

I guess what I'm saying is I'm looking forward to 1v1 ninja plasma pistol beatdown on waterworks.

VinFTW

no fucking sprint in halo, its a new thread and it needs some salt and an argument about sprint to kick it off.

This conversation has actually been pretty good, nice back and forth opinions, etc.

Relax dude, I DON'T want sprint in Halo. Especially for the small arena and competitive maps.

But they can't just throw out Halo 2/3 and call it a day. For us that would be awesome, for the majority it would be too weird.

Maybe an increased overall movement speed or toggle would work (not in arena though).

Who knows, glad I don't have to make these decisions.

Well said.

I got faith. They know what screwed up their multiplayer. We know they are quite capable of a good campaign as well. They are focusing on the halo 2 & 3 style of play.

It's gun be gewd brah.

antigoon

In the most popular esports games, the settings are largely identical in both tournament and public play. This reduces community confusion (and tension) and creates a smoother pipeline for skilled players to go through.

My hope for Halo 5 is that 343 lays a groundwork for competitive gameplay that is used in default matchmaking instead of being segregated to its own playlist.

The communities may be too segregated at this point, but a sort of unification, at least in arena gametypes, is something I've wanted for a long time.

VinFTW

In the most popular esports games, the settings are largely identical in both tournament and public play. This reduces community confusion (and tension) and creates a smoother pipeline for skilled players to go through.

My hope for Halo 5 is that 343 lays a groundwork for competitive gameplay that is used in default matchmaking instead of being segregated to its own playlist.

The communities may be too segregated at this point, but a sort of unification, at least in arena gametypes, is something I've wanted for a long time.

+1

Well put, my man.

Very.

Well put, my man.

antigoon

Like, obviously 343 can't control the settings chosen by tournament organizers. But developing and encouraging some sort of baseline would help. As would 343/Microsoft running tournaments and cultivating their own competitive scene instead of relying on the whims of a certain Sundance.

Great post bud. I agree that parity between default settings and what pros play would be great. At least have it be featured as an important play list with proper movement speed and weapon balance to boot. Parity is important. csgo does it and it's highly affective.

Seems to be moving in the right direction with an E-Sports playlist as a launch item in the MCC

VinFTW

Like, obviously 343 can't control the settings chosen by tournament organizers. But developing and encouraging some sort of baseline would help. As would 343/Microsoft running tournaments and cultivating their own competitive scene instead of relying on the whims of a certain Sundance.

Yeah, I really agree that MS/343 pioneering the competitive scene themselves ALONG with esl, etc, is the best way to go.

Having tournaments all the time with good prizes, etc via the Halo channel would be awesome. Really good for the community.

Yeah, I really agree that MS/343 pioneering the competitive scene themselves ALONG with esl, etc, is the best way to go.

Having tournaments all the time with good prizes, etc via the Halo channel would be awesome. Really good for the community.

That aspect is what really has me excited for Halo Channel. Twitch-based infrastructure with a unified UI that can involve a lot of viewer participation (player voted maps/rounds? awesome). Lots of exciting possibilities.

antigoon

Glad to see others agree.

Part of what makes Halo so great is that it offers such a wide range of experiences. But I can't think of any reason why 343 wouldn't want to present as its core arena experience the game modes (slayer, flag, oddball, king of the hill) and settings with which it expects to run tournaments. Starcraft does it. Counter-Strike does it. Dota 2 does it. And so can Halo.

Other games have shown that "competitive settings" don't have to be a niche thing -- a proper skill-based matchmaking system takes care of skill-gap concerns. At this point, the view of competitive gameplay as something "other" as opposed to the default seems pretty outdated.

While Bungie and 343 have historically been quite tone-deaf regarding developing competitive settings, I hope that things will be different this time around now that esports has had its proper coming out party, so to speak. 343's roster of professional players is encouraging in this regard.

VinFTW

Part of what makes Halo so great is that it offers such a wide range of experiences. I can't think of any reason why 343 wouldn't want to present as its core arena experience the game modes (slayer, flag, oddball, king of the hill) and settings with which it expects to run tournaments. Starcraft does it. Counter-Strike does it. Dota 2 does it. And so can Halo.

Other games have shown that "competitive settings" don't have to be a niche thing -- a proper skill-based matchmaking system takes care of skill-gap concerns. At this point, the view of competitive gameplay as something "other" as opposed to the default seems pretty outdated.

While Bungie and 343 have historically been quite tone-deaf regarding developing competitive settings, I hope that things will be different this time around now that esports has had its proper coming out party, so to speak. 343's roster of professional players is encouraging in this regard.

Well said, and honestly, this is partly why I'm so much happier that 343 (after Halo 4, even though I liked it quite a bit) has the Halo IP. They're coming off like they are really listening to us. Which is uh-mazing.

That aspect is what really has me excited for Halo Channel. Twitch-based infrastructure with a unified UI that can involve a lot of viewer participation (player voted maps/rounds? awesome). Lots of exciting possibilities.

Agreed! So much.

Part of what makes Halo so great is that it offers such a wide range of experiences. But I can't think of any reason why 343 wouldn't want to present as its core arena experience the game modes (slayer, flag, oddball, king of the hill) and settings with which it expects to run tournaments. Starcraft does it. Counter-Strike does it. Dota 2 does it. And so can Halo.

Dude so much yes.

I might be talking out of my ass here, and it could be a feature I am totally unaware of, but I wish Xbox had a kind of friends folder/sort that could let me group my friends list (HaloGAF, Destiny GAF, etc) would make life a hell of a lot easier if I knew where my friends came from.

VinFTW

I might be talking out of my ass here, and it could be a feature I am totally unaware of, but I wish Xbox had a kind of friends folder/sort that could let me group my friends list (HaloGAF, Destiny GAF, etc) would make life a hell of a lot easier if I knew where my friends came from.

Ugh... yes.

I would love to have a HaloGaf folder to seperate all those DestinyGaf bastards :p

jk theyre not bastards, but dont mix destiny in mah halo

Happy eSports is there at launch and all the hard work is paying off with event tournies. Crazy idea time...I'd like to see just one tourney event with a finals stream that includes 1 sided OBJ games or vehicles e.g. Zanzibar 1 flag/bomb or Standoff 2 flag with hogs.

I wonder what a Halo channel live stream with viewer voting on events/games to be played would turn out like? Some more audience participation stuff.

Happy eSports is there at launch and all the hard work is paying off with event tournies. Crazy idea time...I'd like to see just one tourney event with a finals stream that includes 1 sided OBJ games or vehicles e.g. Zanzibar 1 flag/bomb or Standoff 2 flag with hogs.

I wonder what a Halo channel live stream with viewer voting on events/games to be played would turn out like? Some more audience participation stuff.

I don't think an entire tournament/match should be done that way, but having a kind of audience voted round could be interesting. Especially if they're familiar with the teams and know how to assess strengths/weaknesses.

And I'd love for some 1 sided objective matches to be thrown in, but then it becomes an issue of balance (unless they did a position swap or something).

I completely agree. Halo needs to pride itself on what it offers versus what it can potentially offer. There's no need to tamper with a multiplayer that already has a strong following, all they have to do is improve the experience so that the community can continue to thrive over a game they love.

Madness

Look at Halo 2 Anniversary though. This is what Halo 4 should have been. Even someone who's never played a Halo game in his life, can pick up Halo CE, then play Halo 2, then play Halo 3 and then play Halo 2 Anniversary and it will play like he expects it to. The base gameplay is the same across those games. Halo 4 is the odd man out. Infinity settings and launch gameplay was so different, it was inevitable the community would be split.

Compare Team Slayer to MLG/Hardcore settings. The only differences are slight changes in movement speed, health recharge, different weapon spawns and starts, and radar off.

Now compare Team Slayer to Infinity Slayer. You go from no sprint, on map weapons, equal starts, descope when shot, to sprint, global ordnance, personal ordnance, loadouts, perks, and things like flinch when shot. Add in other things like instant respawn as well.

I don't mind if things like Infinity were in one playlist only. Some kind of action sack playlist. They could have even called it Duty Calls playlist. Gameplay has unlimited sprint, melee is instant kill, all the perks, loadouts, personal ordnance needed, radar only makes you visible when fired. That way team Slayer, BTB, objective, Slayer pro and every other part of the game was free from it.

Top Bottom